PDA

View Full Version : What do you miss about driving a stick shift?

Pages : [1] 2

370Z
04-04-2019, 12:34 PM
As I continue to debate selling my 370, in favor of what will likely be an automatic sports sedan....I have a question for those of you who have given up their manual sports cars, what do you miss about it?

bjstare
04-04-2019, 01:07 PM
Literally nothing. That's contingent, though, on a replacement that has a good auto/dsg/dct/whatever.

G
04-04-2019, 01:07 PM
I went back to a stick shift in my Golf R thinking I would enjoy as much as I did in my 20s. I regret it every time I drive that car now.

Buster
04-04-2019, 01:08 PM
even modern slushboxes are good.

But a DSG is better than a stick in every way.

heavyD
04-04-2019, 01:10 PM
Nothing.

rage2
04-04-2019, 01:15 PM
We're all old farts haha.

pf0sh0
04-04-2019, 01:29 PM
Nothing.

I agree. The odd time I think it would be fun, but then I remember most of the time it really isn't

Chester
04-04-2019, 01:32 PM
I still miss it. Feel like I'm more in control of the car, especially when coasting.

Ca_Silvia13
04-04-2019, 01:37 PM
I miss it for sure. I hate not being in the correct gear for the type of accel or decel i want. Recently i have tried the 8spd in a Ram, which is better then my current 6 speed in my Ridgeline. The Honda tranny is programmed to heavy towards mileage and always struggles to be in the correct gear in my opinion.

Now that i don't commute on Deerfoot i would love a truck with a stick that's not a Toyota

max_boost
04-04-2019, 01:37 PM
Don't miss it at all.

Darell_n
04-04-2019, 01:43 PM
I can’t even imagine how bad my WRX would be with an automatic in the winter. But it’s my wife’s daily and just a toy for me.

KRyn
04-04-2019, 01:44 PM
Performing a perfect heel / toe downshift.

Misterman
04-04-2019, 01:55 PM
I really thought I would miss it............................ But honestly I don't. Unless it's a track car I just don't care anymore. Traffic is so bad everywhere you go now there isn't much to enjoy about driving, so I like to be able to just shut my brain off and drink a coffee while I'm driving.

Sugarphreak
04-04-2019, 03:09 PM

killramos
04-04-2019, 03:13 PM
The only benefit it ever really had was being able to quickly depress the clutch to free rev the engine. If you want to be a degenerate. Shifting into neutral is such a pain in comparison.

I would have to buy something like an Elise to get back into a manual.

dirtsniffer
04-04-2019, 03:19 PM
Engine braking

No delay acceleration

Mechanical connection between engine and wheels

Buster
04-04-2019, 03:20 PM
The only benefit it ever really had was being able to quickly depress the clutch to free rev the engine. If you want to be a degenerate. Shifting into neutral is such a pain in comparison.

I think you should do that.

dirtsniffer
04-04-2019, 03:23 PM
One of the funniest things you can do is when your the front passenger is to try and slip the car into neutral while the driver isn't paying attention. Drive through is a hilarious time

firebane
04-04-2019, 03:23 PM
Nothing. I have a bike with a clutch for those times I miss it.

C4S
04-04-2019, 03:27 PM
Everything!!

I always think .. why am I so fallen .. driving automatic/esg/pdk/whatever as my DD, instead of something with a clutch ..

Well, again, I am old farts .. born in the 70's .. I guess most beyond youngsters are too young to know how much fun to drive a manual!

killramos
04-04-2019, 03:28 PM
I think you should do that.

Exactly what I need is a 5th care with a 2 car garage and no driveway...

Buster
04-04-2019, 03:36 PM
Exactly what I need is a 5th care with a 2 car garage and no driveway...

I don't like your attitude

firebane
04-04-2019, 03:38 PM
Everything!!

I always think .. why am I so fallen .. driving automatic/esg/pdk/whatever as my DD, instead of something with a clutch ..

Well, again, I am old farts .. born in the 70's .. I guess most beyond youngsters are too young to know how much fun to drive a manual!

I think you'd be surprised at the average age of Beyond lol.

HiTempguy1
04-04-2019, 03:39 PM
Mainly autos or dsg are dumb.

Maybe the best of the best aren't, but the majority of autos are. I want to accelerate... I want to accelerate... I want to accelerate... DOUBLE DOWNSHIFT SCREAMING NEAR REDLINE THEN SHIFT BACK UP A GEAR. Fml

Engine braking. General car control. Whipping shitties by clutch kicking, not having the damn thing upshift during burnouts, the list goes on.

Only time I dislike manuals is in rush hour stop and go. Otherwise, everyday manual 100%

Mitsu3000gt
04-04-2019, 03:54 PM
My car is too cheap to have a DCT so I still drive a manual haha - I have never not owned a manual to date and I enjoy driving them.

DCT is better in every way though and I would take one if available - maybe on the next vehicle.

As for a normal automatic, they are so awful on 'cheap' cars (if you're lucky enough for it not to be a CVT) that I wouldn't bother with one unless it was on a higher end vehicle, but they can get very good - very close to a DCT on some of the higher end German cars.

Disoblige
04-04-2019, 04:00 PM
Only time I dislike manuals is in rush hour stop and go. Otherwise, everyday manual 100%
This.

lilmira
04-04-2019, 04:02 PM
Nope especially in rush hour traffic. I can still engine brake, hold gear plus shift-fart.

ExtraSlow
04-04-2019, 04:04 PM
Three pedals is the best way to make a slow car feel more fun to drive.

Swank
04-04-2019, 04:11 PM
Probably the most minor thing a person would miss is the extra juicy layer of security it adds as many car thieves don't know how to drive a stick (and many wives don't either).

ExtraSlow
04-04-2019, 04:18 PM
Probably the most minor thing a person would miss is the extra juicy layer of security it adds as many car thieves don't know how to drive a stick (and many wives don't either).

Wish my pickup truck was a stick so people wouldn't ask to borrow it.

dj_rice
04-04-2019, 04:19 PM
I dont miss nothing. Really sucks in rush hour traffic, your tired. Aint about all that shifting

finboy
04-04-2019, 04:22 PM
I walk to work, so maybe that is part of it, but I don’t think I could ever go back to any form of auto. I’m actually a bit worried about what car to buy next after my Subaru, manual wagons are slim pickings and aren’t exactly going to get more common in 5-10 years.

Tik-Tok
04-04-2019, 04:25 PM
manual wagons are slim pickings and aren’t exactly going to get more common in 5-10 years.

Import from Europe.

Sugarphreak
04-04-2019, 05:14 PM

acedia
04-04-2019, 05:21 PM

Hell yeah.

I had a '76 Corolla SR5 2 door with a 5-speed manual. I don't even think that sonofabitch had 70 hp but goddamn I had fun rally driving that little thing.

ExtraSlow
04-04-2019, 05:25 PM
Elantra GT and Golf Sportwagen, niiice. Everything else, meh, wrong body shape.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-04-2019, 06:42 PM
I have both a 6 speed auto truck and a 6 speed manual car. I enjoy driving the truck a lot more during the week, in traffic, to run errands, to haul people, but come Friday night when I want to see kids do stupid shit at Barlow I drive the car.

heavyD
04-04-2019, 06:59 PM

Conversely I would say three pedals is the best way to make a fast car feel slower and this is coming from someone that's driving a manual car. The manual transmission in the M2 is pretty decent so while I enjoy the car I do regret not paying extra for the DCT. Live and learn.

never
04-04-2019, 08:00 PM
I have both a 6 speed auto truck and a 6 speed manual car. I enjoy driving the truck a lot more during the week, in traffic, to run errands, to haul people, but come Friday night when I want to see kids do stupid shit at Barlow I drive the car.

Stupid shit happens at Barlow? Since when??

rage2
04-04-2019, 08:06 PM
Automatics/DCT can’t engine brake? Automatics/DCT doesn’t have instant acceleration? Maybe 20 years ago lol.

killramos
04-04-2019, 08:12 PM
Automatics/DCT can’t engine brake? Automatics/DCT doesn’t have instant acceleration? Maybe 20 years ago lol.

:werd:

370Z
04-04-2019, 08:32 PM
Engine braking

No delay acceleration

Thanks for all the input....I feel this post to be exactly how I would feel. The first two points are solved by DCTS... but I will miss the feeling of a clutch pedal and best of all the feeling of the gear changes through your shifter to my right hand. Funny thing this makes driving in rush hour even better as I'm usually in first second or third and you can really feel it all....but ya when I'm dead tired after work it would feel nice to not have to deal with any of that.

They should make a car where it's manual but has a computer take over at the click of a button.

Today, I found myself in awe looking at the Q60 coupe... but then I thought about how awfully boring it would be to drive that car.

dirtsniffer
04-04-2019, 08:35 PM
Hey I drive a 2.5 ton truck now. Those are the things I miss about driving a manual. I agree that the zf 8 speed / DCT can do these things.

I'll add, always being in the right gear. Punching it and having to wait for a double down shift is lame.

Also low traction acceleration and deceleration were much easier with a manual.

370Z
04-04-2019, 08:41 PM
Ya I have a GLK for winter and had to use the manual mode....in regular auto mode, I felt nervous as hell just relying on using the brakes to slow down while the damn thing just wanted to stay in 5th or what higher gear it felt like staying in....wtf?!!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-04-2019, 09:57 PM
Stupid shit happens at Barlow? Since when??

I think it’s a pretty recent thing :rofl:

tonytiger55
04-04-2019, 10:32 PM
OP why you want to get rid of the 370Z..?

I still drive shift. Rather fun driving to work. I lose my temper when driving auto.

BokCh0y
04-04-2019, 11:39 PM
I miss everything about manual. Shifting, the peddle, the ability to control my shifts when I want to shift. The smoothness. Everything.

The only thing I don't miss about manual is replacing the clutch.

scboss
04-04-2019, 11:45 PM
Thanks for all the input....I feel this post to be exactly how I would feel. The first two points are solved by DCTS... but I will miss the feeling of a clutch pedal and best of all the feeling of the gear changes through your shifter to my right hand. Funny thing this makes driving in rush hour even better as I'm usually in first second or third and you can really feel it all....but ya when I'm dead tired after work it would feel nice to not have to deal with any of that.

Nothing beat smashing gears while going fast even if its slower then some of the newer transmissions. Downshifting, hitting those gears through turns is always fun especially if you have rear wheel drive. Ive taken my friends gtr and A7 for a spin and yeah they are fast but its just not the same.

I could definitely see why people hate it if daily commutes involve rush hour or if you are only worried about 0-60.

Team_Mclaren
04-05-2019, 12:37 AM
Performing a perfect heel / toe downshift.

But I feel like a fucking pro race driver every time i press the left wheel paddle to down shift. :rofl::rofl:

heavyfuel
04-05-2019, 06:19 AM
Still drive a stick. My work truck has a ZF-6, and if one day I can ever afford a toy I would like it to be a stick as well but after 9 years of in town stop and go daily driving, and since it should be about 200 years before I can afford a toy I think this may very well be the last manual for me.

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-05-2019, 06:45 AM
The only time I missed it in my DD was during winter. I feel like I had less control from a stop, to stop the wheels from spinning, feather the clutch, etc. That being said, any other time, I loved having a DSG for a daily. I only went back to a manual for the DD, cause it was cheaper.

bjstare
04-05-2019, 08:01 AM
Engine braking

No delay acceleration

:werd:

Anyone that thinks those are things exclusive to a manual transmission hasn't driven a decent auto.

Yeah exactly. I've been shopping to an S2K again, that's one of the few cars that would get me back in a manual.

rage2
04-05-2019, 08:09 AM
Anyone that thinks those are things exclusive to a manual transmission hasn't driven a decent auto.
I’d argue that my car with an auto transmission has more instantaneous acceleration than any manual car made to date. But that’s kinda cheating since it’s a hybrid haha.

Darkane
04-05-2019, 08:34 AM
Just picked up another manual very recently. One of the best shifting cars on the market today!

And my V8 manual, at 8250rpm is one of the best drivetrain combos you can get today.

I can’t really ever see myself without a manual. I’d buy a 2011 civic si sedan just to have a manual around lol.

BavarianBeast
04-05-2019, 09:38 AM
3/6 of my cars are manual. I couldn’t have at least one car that isn’t manual in the fleet, love rowing gears too much and having that connection to the car. Always a more engaged experience. I honestly thought I could never move into a dct sports car but after buying and driving my r8 with DCT, it has grown on me. Still would buy manual 10/10 if it was offered.

HiTempguy1
04-05-2019, 09:51 AM
Is a BMW M4 auto no good?

Last "nice" car I drove around in, wasn't impressed with it.

End of the day, an auto can never tell exactly when and why you want to be in a gear for what reason. Maybe I want to lug the motor slowly from 40-90? Maybe I'm on a steep hill and I want additional engine braking for the intersection up ahead even though I could just apply the brakes harder?

Maybe I just want the gear I want because I want that gear. "Ohhh, but its faster"

Yea, well none of you are andretti and it doesn't matter on the street, so who gives a fuck except tech geeks wanking off to features.

JustinL
04-05-2019, 10:03 AM
I miss actually having a connection with the transmission. I daily drive an S4 with a DCT and while it shifts fast, it makes too many decisions even when in manual mode. The paddles make a suggestion to the car as to what you want, then it decides what's best for you. If you are light on the throttle the shifts are slow and lazy. In snow if you pull an upshift while the car is sliding or unsettled, it straight up rejects the command.

rage2
04-05-2019, 10:09 AM
Is a BMW M4 auto no good?

Last "nice" car I drove around in, wasn't impressed with it.

End of the day, an auto can never tell exactly when and why you want to be in a gear for what reason. Maybe I want to lug the motor slowly from 40-90? Maybe I'm on a steep hill and I want additional engine braking for the intersection up ahead even though I could just apply the brakes harder?

Maybe I just want the gear I want because I want that gear. "Ohhh, but its faster"

Yea, well none of you are andretti and it doesn't matter on the street, so who gives a fuck except tech geeks wanking off to features.
Well if you're comparing an M4 in auto mode to what you want the gear to be in a manual car, you're right, it wouldn't be able to read your mind to know that you want to lug the motor from 40-90. Did you not try the M4 in full manual mode? You would have full control to do exactly what you want.

I mean, I've been an auto proponent for over a decade once they started getting good. The key is that I still have access to manual mode to drive it no different than a MT car, aside from a clutch pedal. That's my measuring stick when comparing to a MT car. So ya, if you're comparing MT to AT in auto mode, that's not even a comparison.

schocker
04-05-2019, 10:19 AM
I miss the inconvenience and leg pain from rush hour :rofl:
My TSX had a stupid transmission but the DSG in my golf is awesome though I mostly keep it in auto.

Darell_n
04-05-2019, 10:28 AM
It’s my experience that engines tend to live longer with a manual transmission. Unless you are buying used from a teenager, I would wager most stick shift car (truck) engines are not beat on nearly as bad as what an automatic dishes out with a heavy right foot. Prime example is my wife merging onto the highway, flooring it and shifting before 4K rpm. Most automatics will take it up near redline every time, if you are in a hurry, and I have at least a few accidental double down shifts with my work truck every day I drive it.

C4S
04-05-2019, 10:40 AM
I miss the day ... my left shoe wore out much quicker than my right shoe!

nismodrifter
04-05-2019, 11:02 AM
A rip through the gears on the weekend is my stress relief. Gated 5-speed life.

dirtsniffer
04-05-2019, 11:09 AM
What's the retail on one of those?

G-ZUS
04-05-2019, 11:13 AM
What's the retail on one of those?

More than you can afford pal

M.alex
04-05-2019, 12:07 PM
All of my cars are manuals - I'm not a pansy-ass bitch

No offense to you automatic drivers of course :)

HiTempguy1
04-05-2019, 12:37 PM
. The key is that I still have access to manual mode to drive it no different than a MT car, aside from a clutch pedal. That's my measuring stick

Which is fine, but its goalpost changing. If I want to shift a car manually, I want to shift it manually.

If I want an automatic, I want an automatic. And the only time I want an automatic is in stop and go. I'd even prefer a manual diesel truck for towing, no matter what, you are out $4500+ for a auto tranny rebuild at about 400k on any diesel pickup. Manual? Just change the clutch and keep going.

And yea, I manual shifted the auto M4. It was ok I guess?

It's like watching X275 cars at the dragstrip. The autos are so well sorted, so smooth, so figured out, a car that does 4.4 in the 1/8 (7's in the 1/4) is BORING to watch.

Just like after the first time or two, they are boring to drive.

Different strokes I suppose.

killramos
04-05-2019, 01:38 PM
If you think the dct shifting in an M4 “is ok” then you must find a true manual absolutely intolerable.

The M DCT in an M4 is the yardstick to which all transmissions are compared.

That being said, drive a car with a ZF8 (true automatic), which is amazing in both automatic and manual mode.

Driving a car with a high performance dct dsg pdk etc. is a completely different experience since those cars are setup for very different reasons than smoothness in stop and go traffic. But they do a damn good job of making very high performance transmissions approachable on a daily basis.

rage2
04-05-2019, 02:15 PM
Which is fine, but its goalpost changing. If I want to shift a car manually, I want to shift it manually.

If I want an automatic, I want an automatic. And the only time I want an automatic is in stop and go. I'd even prefer a manual diesel truck for towing, no matter what, you are out $4500+ for a auto tranny rebuild at about 400k on any diesel pickup. Manual? Just change the clutch and keep going.

And yea, I manual shifted the auto M4. It was ok I guess?

It's like watching X275 cars at the dragstrip. The autos are so well sorted, so smooth, so figured out, a car that does 4.4 in the 1/8 (7's in the 1/4) is BORING to watch.

Just like after the first time or two, they are boring to drive.

Different strokes I suppose.
haha shit, I see where your problem is. Yea, dunno what to tell ya, no automatic is going to be able to read your mind because at some point you want to do something that's completely unexpected for the situation (ie lug the engine for no reason) and expect the automatic to actually know that. I haven't changed the goalposts, I've always stressed that flappy shifters meet everything positive I want about MT, and none of the negatives. I only drive in full auto mode when I'm commuting. Turnoff coming up, want to have fun, manual mode, done.

EM2FTL
04-05-2019, 02:17 PM
Afaik there is no way to replicate the feeling of a perfect rev-match or heel-toe (yes i'm aware of computer aided rev matching). Doing it yourself with a proper exhaust just feels so damn good, I don't think I could ever go auto.

rage2
04-05-2019, 02:27 PM
Afaik there is no way to replicate the feeling of a perfect rev-match or heel-toe (yes i'm aware of computer aided rev matching). Doing it yourself with a proper exhaust just feels so damn good, I don't think I could ever go auto.
It was cool as a kid, but I got tired of that feeling since I was hitting 99% of my rev matched heel toe under braking at the track. Don't miss it at all. Would be curious if I could still do it today, it's been forever since I've driven a MT car at speed.

Tik-Tok
04-05-2019, 02:28 PM
Everyone arguing that a DCT or good automatic is superior than a manual, without thinking about not every car having DCT or a GOOD automatic.

killramos
04-05-2019, 02:32 PM
Everyone arguing that a DCT or good automatic is superior than a manual, without thinking about not every car having DCT or a GOOD automatic.

Not many bad ones out there in 2019 unless you buy something dogshit with a CVT...

If you buy a car with one of the shit auto’s these days, this thread clearly does NOT apply to you.

EM2FTL
04-05-2019, 02:36 PM
It was cool as a kid, but I got tired of that feeling since I was hitting 99% of my rev matched heel toe under braking at the track. Don't miss it at all. Would be curious if I could still do it today, it's been forever since I've driven a MT car at speed.

I didn't feel confident trying to learn those techniques on track years ago, then I started rev matching every day on the street and eventually it became second nature. If it's childish to enjoy that sound every day I don't want to grow up :)

Tik-Tok
04-05-2019, 02:41 PM
Not many bad ones out there in 2019 unless you buy something dogshit with a CVT...

If you buy a car with one of the shit auto’s these days, this thread clearly does NOT apply to you.

OP is looking for a used sedan between $20g and $30g... There are many shitty auto's in that range.

rage2
04-05-2019, 02:45 PM
I didn't feel confident trying to learn those techniques on track years ago, then I started rev matching every day on the street and eventually it became second nature. If it's childish to enjoy that sound every day I don't want to grow up :)
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy that sound too. It's just I get that every time I downshift in my AT car. With farts no less!

Ca_Silvia13
04-05-2019, 03:52 PM
In snow if you pull an upshift while the car is sliding or unsettled, it straight up rejects the command.

Wow man that would be super frustrating if you're trying to have some fun in the snow.

heavyD
04-05-2019, 05:18 PM

There are way more good DTC's than good manual transmissions. The VW manual is junk as are the manuals that come with Korean cars. Ford manual transmission are made in China or and are hit and miss. Tremec manuals alternate between good and rowing through a bucket of bolts. Even the CTR manual is prone to grinding 2nd gear if driven aggressively. Miata has a great manual but easy to do with no torque. Porsche is the only company that nails them perfectly.

370Z
04-05-2019, 05:25 PM
There are way more good DTC's than good manual transmissions. The VW manual is junk as are the manuals that come with Korean cars. Ford manual transmission are made in China or and are hit and miss. Tremec manuals alternate between good and rowing through a bucket of bolts. Even the CTR manual is prone to grinding 2nd gear if driven aggressively. Porsche is the only company that nails them perfectly.

This is a good point. The 6 speed in my Z is far from being a slick tranny, it DOES have synchro Rev match though lol which is awesome. Im starting to think my problem isn't the tranny, it's the fact I'm driving 100 km a day in a little two seater that has literally zero noise insulation. I'm just getting old haha and I need to come to terms with this.

02WhiteWs6
04-06-2019, 08:48 AM
I miss chirping 3rd

16hypen3sp
04-06-2019, 09:30 AM
I miss not being able to find 'em so I'd grind 'em. lol jk, jk.

I recently picked up a 5-speed manual commuter sedan and I've been loving getting back into a manual. My gf can drive manuals better than most guys can so she's been loving it too, tho she hates the seat height position.

taemo
04-06-2019, 11:06 AM

LOL this. I felt faster running on a manual civic on deerfoot than on a WRX, only to see the speedometer going 90-100

rage2
04-06-2019, 01:26 PM
Maybe I want to lug the motor slowly from 40-90?
https://streamable.com/wmdf5

:dunno:

schocker
04-06-2019, 08:22 PM
https://streamable.com/wmdf5

:dunno:
Probably the wrong kind of lugging :rofl:

SKR
04-08-2019, 10:52 AM
And my V8 manual, at 8250rpm

I would like to see more of this.

95EagleAWD
04-08-2019, 11:56 AM
Most of the cars I like don’t have automatics, or If they do, they’re old and terrible.

Darkane
04-08-2019, 12:06 PM
I would like to see more of this.

GT350, got booted off the autocross track for annihilating the DB meter too.

Love the car.

ercchry
04-08-2019, 12:26 PM
6sp manual, 8700rpm V8... just nothing else like it. I don’t care if the dct is faster that’s not the point

Darkane
04-08-2019, 06:10 PM
6sp manual, 8700rpm V8... just nothing else like it. I don’t care if the dct is faster that’s not the point

Can’t think of a car with a redline like they factory.

Tuned M3?

ercchry
04-08-2019, 06:16 PM
Yup

KPHMPH
04-08-2019, 08:16 PM
What do I miss about stick shift?

I missing grabbing the hard stick of power, shoving into the place where it makes me go fast.

speedog
04-08-2019, 08:57 PM
Nothing, sold my first and only manual transmission vehicle back in 1984 and have only done automatics since then. I'm not some little boy racer and just want to get from point A to point B with as little fuss as possible, can still get into a manual and drive it with no issues, my kids are amazed that I can still drive a manual after all those years of not owning or driving one.

ThePenIsMightier
04-09-2019, 07:39 AM
Revving it up and doing a lawn bake on my miserable old bitch neighbour's place forever ago. I nearly got stuck. It was hilarious and although incredibly mean, they deserved it.

jwslam
04-09-2019, 08:21 AM
What do I miss about stick shift?

I missing grabbing the hard stick of power, shoving into the place where it makes me go fast.
I thought you ride around in a stick shift often... more than most of us around here anyways...

spikerS
04-09-2019, 09:25 AM
We're all old farts haha.

exactly.

I don't miss it at all. I am turning 40 this year, and I haven't owned a manual in about 12 or 13 years. Today's automatics are just amazing and you don't have to worry about a clutch.

Now, if I was gonna buy a exotic like a lambo or similar, I would probably get a manual. If it was a more luxury vehicle like an Aston Martin, it would be an auto.

95EagleAWD
04-09-2019, 04:50 PM
Except you can’t get a manual in a Ferrari or Lambo anymore :(

Sugarphreak
04-10-2019, 11:41 PM

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-11-2019, 06:43 AM
The VW DSG is pretty awesome. I assume that also translates over to Audi.

Misterman
04-11-2019, 06:43 AM
The only thing I don't miss about manual is replacing the clutch.

?? Yeah that once every 200,000km really drives me up the wall. LOLWUT?

lilmira
04-11-2019, 08:22 AM
The ZF is pretty good. It's practically as responsive as the DSG without the low speed jerkiness. That's one thing annoying about the DSG.

ThePenIsMightier
04-11-2019, 08:49 AM
What are the best manual alternative transmissions out there right now?

I mean ones that actually listen to what you want for gear shifts and feel great to drive... not the sort of fake-shifting ones that are just placebo automatics

I think the 370z is still available in conventional manual stick. Cheap as Hell, too!