PDA

View Full Version : Can you reprogram a used Lexus key fob?

BensonTT
04-05-2019, 10:26 AM
Hey guys, my son lost my Lexus key fob while going to get the mail and I didn't realize it was missing til the next day, anyways can I buy a used Lexus key fob and reprogram it to my car? I called Lexus and they said no and that I have to buy a brand new key from them (which was over ($650 key/program lol). They trying to bluff me? Thanks guys.

3nergiz3d
04-05-2019, 10:33 AM
You can buy the key's off ebay and Lexus / Toyota can reprogram them.

BensonTT
04-05-2019, 10:37 AM
Thank you!

bjstare
04-05-2019, 11:11 AM
Yes, definitely don't get a used one, but you can get them for super cheap, new on the bay. I got one from a lexus dealer in NY for like $100, in factory lexus packaging and everything. The blade was an additional $15 or something. Most expensive part about this is getting hte dealer to pair the new one.

Should be noted, I did some research and although independent locksmiths/mechanics can reprogram keys, their method involves a reset of the ECU wiping all keys then re-pairing them. Not 100% confirmed, but I read a number of times that if the ECU has been reset 5 times it bricks, so best to go to the dealer for this (or at least do your own research at the very least, I could certainly be misinformed).