PDA

View Full Version : phone repairs - suggestions wanted

colsankey
04-10-2019, 12:44 PM
Anywhere local thats not gonna cost me the price of a new phone to repair my screen on Samsung S8? SW Calgary is even better

Toddler threw my phone face down on some patio blocks yesterday. Screen seems to be working everywhere but i have a sizable chip in the top left corner and middle right (curved part of the screen). Lots of spiderweb cracks around both chips.

Hoping to get it fixed vs replaced, phones in good condition otherwise and battery holding up after 2 years.

Mitsu3000gt
04-10-2019, 01:14 PM
For a 2-generation old phone I would just buy a new one, you're looking at ~$300-$350 for a new screen/digitizer on a phone that is only happens to be worth same same amount - $300-350 or so. Some repair places don't use OEM parts either, so they are much worse - I am not sure if that is the case for the S8 or not but it is for iPhones. Repair jobs are also never as good as new. Coworker had her GS8 screen replaced by iPhix for $380 and it was definitely not as good as new, but at the time her phone was current so it made more sense.

I would either upgrade or buy another S8 off Kijiji.

If you're hell bent on a repair, CPR and ubreakifix are both in the SW.

gyu
04-10-2019, 01:16 PM
SpeedJobs phone repair. The guy's name is Darrien and he provides really good prices, service and is also located in the SW. I've been going to him for the last few years for phone repair, screen protectors, etc. Here is his info off Google:

SpeedJOBS
23 Google reviews
Electronics repair shop in Calgary, Alberta
Located in: Glenmore Landing
Address: #A101, 1600 90Ave SW, Calgary, AB T2V 5A8 (he is near the Subway in this shopping area)
Hours:
Open ⋅ Closes 7 p.m.

Province: Alberta
Phone: (587) 834-1888

ExtraSlow
04-10-2019, 04:55 PM
You could try it yourself. The parts are widely available, and while it's a huge pain in the ass, it's not that difficult.

gatorade
04-11-2019, 04:11 AM
Even doing it yourself is pretty expensive, I think a screen goes for 200-300, with the labor you're probably looking at 3-400