PDA

View Full Version : Shakalaka diet plan

Pages : [1] 2

ExtraSlow
04-12-2019, 05:58 PM
shakalaka needs a diet plan based on discussion in another thread. He's a good guy, let's help him out.

I actually don’t drink much pop or snack. If I do drink pop it’s diet.

Bad habit is sometimes not having the first meal until 3-4PM depending on how busy of a court day it is. Then when I eat it’s not healthy and I over eat. Been stuck around the 225-230 lbs range for forever. At least not going up so that’s good but pretty much losing all the muscle I gained over the younger years. Weight isn’t the issue but change in body compensation from muscles to soft sucks. For me I feel like it really is that complicated.

killramos
04-12-2019, 05:59 PM
My Fitness Pal and use it EVERY time

max_boost
04-12-2019, 06:03 PM
he don't need no diet plan, he needs to lift. but a simple meal plan is this, eat whatever you want but simply do not over eat.

he needs the max_boost lifting program

cardio optional

1x per week 100reps deadlift
1x per week 100reps bench press

vary that weight based on how you feel

report back in 3-6months

ExtraSlow
04-12-2019, 06:05 PM
Yeah, if you start tracking everything you eat, it's really educational and you'll make better choices just based on that knowledge, over time.

I would also say cut the diet pop. I can't prove it, but I'm pretty sure that shit makes you fat. 100% serious, drink plain water and black coffee only, and you will loose weight.

shakalaka
04-12-2019, 06:23 PM
Haha I like this thread!

I welcome all and every recommendation and helpful suggestions, especially diet related but would for sure consider exercise plans as well!

I have tried myfitnesspal and other similar apps and gadgets (fitbit, motiv ring etc) but after a while lost interest from all and stopped using them.

killramos
04-12-2019, 06:33 PM
You need to be serious about actually making change. That includes being serious about using the app.

Biggest thing you seem to need to wrap your head around is if it’s important to you. Because if it’s not nothing will ever stick.

ExtraSlow
04-12-2019, 06:36 PM
True story. No external force can create motivation. If you are motivated to make a change, there's lots of knowledgeable and helpful people on beyond.ca who would love to help you.

shakalaka
04-12-2019, 06:54 PM
This is definitely true. I remember my younger days, I used to be so motivated with gym. Would go twice a day. Then articling happened and worked and everything dropped. Need to get back into it. Going to download MFP again for sure and go from there. Definitely welcome any tips and tricks on diet plans and workout plans.

ExtraSlow
04-12-2019, 06:56 PM
If you can stick with MFP for tracking all your calories for a couple weeks, that's a great start. Also, start planning your eating, and not just eating whatever is handy, but eating something you brought with you, like a protein bar, or other planned snack/meal.

max_boost
04-12-2019, 07:06 PM
Yeah, if you start tracking everything you eat, it's really educational and you'll make better choices just based on that knowledge, over time.

I would also say cut the diet pop. I can't prove it, but I'm pretty sure that shit makes you fat. 100% serious, drink plain water and black coffee only, and you will loose weight.

lose bro

loose are his stools after drinking black coffee and expressing himself.

Buster
04-12-2019, 07:10 PM
I forgot about that app. Just picked it back up again. Thx

ExtraSlow
04-12-2019, 07:28 PM
lose bro

loose are his stools after drinking black coffee and expressing himself.

That's a word that I know how to spell when I'm paying attention, but misspell lots of the time when I'm typing quickly.

Once asked a waitress named Lucy if it was spelled L-O-O.... Good times.

Darkane
04-12-2019, 08:26 PM
he don't need no diet plan, he needs to lift. but a simple meal plan is this, eat whatever you want but simply do not over eat.

cardio optional

report back in 3-6months

That's not a bad idea lol.

I'd go with:

Power Cleans (Or muscle cleans for us non Olympic athlete types)
Push Press

and then BW lunges and push ups in between.

That's all.

bigbadboss101
04-12-2019, 09:56 PM
I like Cronometer.

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-13-2019, 04:51 PM

cardio optional

report back in 3-6months

Have you met our lord and savior, the squat?

nismodrifter
04-13-2019, 07:57 PM

cardio optional

report back in 3-6months

Interesting regimen lol. Are those deadlifts + bench press on same day? I will seriously consider trying this to put some beyond science to the test. Works for me from a time perspective.

max_boost
04-13-2019, 08:42 PM
Interesting regimen lol. Are those deadlifts + bench press on same day? I will seriously consider trying this to put some beyond science to the test. Works for me from a time perspective.

okay mostly serious and definitely on separate days. i say give yourself 72 hours in between it depending how sore you get. of course one can go into greater depth but it's all about the ez pz

i only suggested those two lifts cuz

- no one likes to squat and a lot of ppl can't hit proper depth anyway
- deadlifting is just easy and makes you feel boss. you can play around with your grip, your stance, etc. and if you can't lift it, well you can't lift it haha
- bench press cuz no pecs no sex and who doesn't like bench lol bench every fkn day if my shoulder allowed for it

Now here's the serious post - https://www.t-nation.com/training/40-day-program

ExtraSlow
04-14-2019, 12:00 AM
Boost for prez

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-15-2019, 06:51 AM
okay mostly serious and definitely on separate days. i say give yourself 72 hours in between it depending how sore you get. of course one can go into greater depth but it's all about the ez pz

- deadlifting is just easy and makes you feel boss. you can play around with your grip, your stance, etc. and if you can't lift it, well you can't lift it haha
- bench press cuz no pecs no sex and who doesn't like bench lol bench every fkn day if my shoulder allowed for it

I love squatting. Anyone can hit proper depth with proper training, and I also love deadlifts, because you can't cheat the lift. That being said, you need to make sure it's done right, or you'll hurt yourself.

Brent.ff
04-15-2019, 07:37 AM
try whole30.. it's pretty eye opening how much shit is in the food out there

Buster
04-15-2019, 07:41 AM
I love squatting. Anyone can hit proper depth with proper training, and I also love deadlifts, because you can't cheat the lift. That being said, you need to make sure it's done right, or you'll hurt yourself.

my buttwink says hi.

Misterman
04-15-2019, 08:32 AM

Nothing wrong with diet pop. It's a great way to cure a sweet tooth when you get a craving, and not fuck your diet up with 45g of sugar.

Tracking is very important. I advise against myfitnesspal personally. Once you enter the information it's gone into the either forever unless you specifically go looking for it. A medium sized note book that you physically write things into helps a lot more. It's in your face all the time, and makes it more real. It boils down to personal preference, but I've seen real ink work better in my experience.

Haha I like this thread!

I welcome all and every recommendation and helpful suggestions, especially diet related but would for sure consider exercise plans as well!

I have tried myfitnesspal and other similar apps and gadgets (fitbit, motiv ring etc) but after a while lost interest from all and stopped using them.

Consult above.

This is definitely true. I remember my younger days, I used to be so motivated with gym. Would go twice a day. Then articling happened and worked and everything dropped. Need to get back into it. Going to download MFP again for sure and go from there. Definitely welcome any tips and tricks on diet plans and workout plans.

The main tip or trick, is to not make it harder than it has to be in your mind. Based on your posts it sounds like you could be making a mountain out of a mole hill. A lot of people get the impression that you have to change every aspect of your life to see positive results, and it takes the wind out of their sails. In reality a few simple habit changes will get you on the right track to being healthier and looking better. I doubt you're trying to go be Mr. Olympia, so don't think you have live every waking minute of your life focused on your diet.

As mentioned above, start keeping a diet journal.

Stop eating whatever is available. On Sunday take a couple hours to prep some food and portion it into Tupperwares. It might seem like a big undertaking at first, and like you're spending a lot of time on food. But you'll quickly realize that grabbing a Tupperware and eating is a lot less time spent during the week then actually going into some type of fast food joint, ordering, and sitting down to wolf that junk food down quickly. Personally, I toss 3 pot roasts into the slow cooker Sunday morning with some small potatoes. Leave it for 10 hours, then take 10 minutes to portion it up. Voila! Meals for the week. And they actually taste good, not eating a bunch of dried out nasty chicken breasts.

No time for breakfast? Get a shaker cup and some whey protein. 300ml of water and 2 scoops of protein, shake it up and chug. That takes all of 3 minutes in the morning and gets your body some much needed calories.

Don't deny yourself everything you enjoy. Keep your carb intake low during the week, and then enjoy a few burgers or a pizza on the weekend. It's a great way to refeed your metabolism, and it always keeps a light within easy reach at the end of the tunnel.

Don't under eat. Restriction diets lead to slowed metabolic rate and muscle loss. Muscle loss leads to further metabolic slow down. It's a negative feedback loop. Keep the calories up, but try to eat more protein and healthy fats as opposed to carbs.

Exercise. It doesn't have to be 2 hours a day in the gym. If you're doing nothing now, then a simple 20-30 min of resistance training Mon-Fri is going to net some results. If you're a lawyer in some downtown office, then you probably have access to a gym right in your building. You can bang out a short workout right after work, and still make it home to watch Game of Thrones or whatever your poison is.

If you can make these few simple changes you will see results. If you can maintain this for 1-2 months it should be habit at that point. And if you want better results, you can continue to tweak things. Add better workouts, really start getting scientific with your diet, supplementation, etc.

tonytiger55
04-15-2019, 09:38 AM
I think what will also help with the diet plan is if Shakalaka comes to the next Beyond food meet and not eat anything. He can sit there and watch in blissful meditation while we gobble and devour great food.

It will be just like that training scene from the movie Kickboxer. When Van Dam is buried in the ground does not eat anything and the different people put fresh rice in front of his face. It will help Shakalaka focus his mind and when it comes to the final boss fight of defeating the mighty fat god. Shakalaka can have a melodramatic flash back of his training and how we all supported him.

mr2mike
04-15-2019, 11:22 AM
I have yet to see a fat Heroin user. That's probably easier to follow and for sure works.

Brent.ff
04-15-2019, 11:39 AM
Nothing wrong with diet pop. It's a great way to cure a sweet tooth when you get a craving, and not fuck your diet up with 45g of sugar.

I dunno, it's pretty rare to relate diet coke to any person that isnt overweight... If you've got a sweet craving, eat an apple.

heavyfuel
04-15-2019, 11:46 AM
^^Amen. 45 g of sugar is unacceptable on a non-cheat day. And even on a cheat day if it’s from sources like pop. So many people don’t understand just to what extent sugar is detrimental. Pop is a big no no, diet or regular and under any circumstances. Even on cheat days. Pop is pure evil.

Brent.ff
04-15-2019, 12:13 PM
if you're gonna cheat... at least make it on beer

Misterman
04-15-2019, 12:18 PM
I dunno, it's pretty rare to relate diet coke to any person that isnt overweight... If you've got a sweet craving, eat an apple.

Yes if looked at from a purely anecdotal standpoint of how many fat people you've seen drinking diet pop at Mcdonalds, it can surely appear that diet pop is bad for weight loss. :facepalm:

- - - Updated - - -

^^Amen. 45 g of sugar is unacceptable on a non-cheat day. And even on a cheat day if it’s from sources like pop. So many people don’t understand just to what extent sugar is detrimental. Pop is a big no no, diet or regular and under any circumstances. Even on cheat days. Pop is pure evil.

There is no sugar in diet pop.

ercchry
04-15-2019, 12:29 PM
Yes if looked at from a purely anecdotal standpoint of how many fat people you've seen drinking diet pop at Mcdonalds, it can surely appear that diet pop is bad for weight loss. :facepalm:

- - - Updated - - -

It’s not even a hard thing to look up, just stop

https://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/diet-soda-weight-gain-metabolism-insulin-brain-fat-metabolic-syndrome.html

heavyfuel
04-15-2019, 12:32 PM

- - - Updated - - -

That’s correct but pop is pop is pop and it’s all among some of the worst well marketed garbage you can put in your body.

Misterman
04-15-2019, 01:25 PM
It’s not even a hard thing to look up, just stop

https://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/diet-soda-weight-gain-metabolism-insulin-brain-fat-metabolic-syndrome.html

I'm well aware of this nonsense. And if you happen to be one of the tiny percentage of people affected by this supposed syndrome, then don't use diet pop as a sweetness fix. So what is your alternative since you're bringing up how terrible a calorie free option is for curing the odd sweet tooth here and there? I would love to hear. In all my years of dieting myself and others, I haven't found a better option yet, but I'd be happy to learn something new.

Anyway, good luck Shakalaka. Maybe you're better off in the hands of keyboard warriors instead of a National level bodybuilding competitor that has trained numerous weight loss clients. What the fuck could I possibly know right? Carry on everyone.

- - - Updated - - -

That’s correct but pop is pop is pop and it’s all among some of the worst well marketed garbage you can put in your body.

No. Pop is not pop. I will agree it is not a healthy thing to ingest with all the carbonic acid. But the main detrimental problem with pop is it's refined sugar content, which diet pop gets rid of. I'll ask you the same question. For curing a random sweet tooth craving, what is a better alternative(the caveat is that it has to be something that actually works, so you can't say fruit)?

killramos
04-15-2019, 01:32 PM
OOOOoooooo a “My neck is thicker than your neck” contest.

Misterman
04-15-2019, 01:35 PM
OOOOoooooo a “My neck is thicker than your neck” contest.

Forget the neck. I'm all about them dick curls son.

heavyfuel
04-15-2019, 02:43 PM
I'm well aware of this nonsense. And if you happen to be one of the tiny percentage of people affected by this supposed syndrome, then don't use diet pop as a sweetness fix. So what is your alternative since you're bringing up how terrible a calorie free option is for curing the odd sweet tooth here and there? I would love to hear. In all my years of dieting myself and others, I haven't found a better option yet, but I'd be happy to learn something new.

Anyway, good luck Shakalaka. Maybe you're better off in the hands of keyboard warriors instead of a National level bodybuilding competitor that has trained numerous weight loss clients. What the fuck could I possibly know right? Carry on everyone.

- - - Updated - - -

No. Pop is not pop. I will agree it is not a healthy thing to ingest with all the carbonic acid. But the main detrimental problem with pop is it's refined sugar content, which diet pop gets rid of. I'll ask you the same question. For curing a random sweet tooth craving, what is a better alternative(the caveat is that it has to be something that actually works, so you can't say fruit)?

Coconut water. Not sure if that counts as fruit or not. If so then a big dirty delicious piece of birthday cake from the bakery at Safeway or a disgusting greasy warm cinnamon bun swimming in butter lol

Brent.ff
04-15-2019, 02:45 PM
Maybe you're better off in the hands of keyboard warriors instead of a National level bodybuilding competitor that has trained numerous weight loss clients. What the fuck could I possibly know right?

Does that include your buddy on the street that can get us some sweet HGH without markups?

shakalaka
04-15-2019, 03:15 PM

If I am going to go this route I think I should just start doing that Stronglifts 5 x 5 program that I did in my younger days. My deadlifts and squats went pretty freaking high - I was squatting 3 plates on each side at one point. But I didn't necessarily equate that program with weight loss though. I think I need a work out routine that has weight lifting (has to - otherwise I will get bored in a day) but also incorporates cardio and what not to essentially give some boost to the whole weight loss thing.

And it's not even the weight I care about losing - it's the fat itself.

Tracking is very important. I advise against myfitnesspal personally. Once you enter the information it's gone into the either forever unless you specifically go looking for it. A medium sized note book that you physically write things into helps a lot more. It's in your face all the time, and makes it more real. It boils down to personal preference, but I've seen real ink work better in my experience.

Consult above.

The main tip or trick, is to not make it harder than it has to be in your mind. Based on your posts it sounds like you could be making a mountain out of a mole hill. A lot of people get the impression that you have to change every aspect of your life to see positive results, and it takes the wind out of their sails. In reality a few simple habit changes will get you on the right track to being healthier and looking better. I doubt you're trying to go be Mr. Olympia, so don't think you have live every waking minute of your life focused on your diet.

As mentioned above, start keeping a diet journal.

Stop eating whatever is available. On Sunday take a couple hours to prep some food and portion it into Tupperwares. It might seem like a big undertaking at first, and like you're spending a lot of time on food. But you'll quickly realize that grabbing a Tupperware and eating is a lot less time spent during the week then actually going into some type of fast food joint, ordering, and sitting down to wolf that junk food down quickly. Personally, I toss 3 pot roasts into the slow cooker Sunday morning with some small potatoes. Leave it for 10 hours, then take 10 minutes to portion it up. Voila! Meals for the week. And they actually taste good, not eating a bunch of dried out nasty chicken breasts.

No time for breakfast? Get a shaker cup and some whey protein. 300ml of water and 2 scoops of protein, shake it up and chug. That takes all of 3 minutes in the morning and gets your body some much needed calories.

Don't deny yourself everything you enjoy. Keep your carb intake low during the week, and then enjoy a few burgers or a pizza on the weekend. It's a great way to refeed your metabolism, and it always keeps a light within easy reach at the end of the tunnel.

Don't under eat. Restriction diets lead to slowed metabolic rate and muscle loss. Muscle loss leads to further metabolic slow down. It's a negative feedback loop. Keep the calories up, but try to eat more protein and healthy fats as opposed to carbs.

Exercise. It doesn't have to be 2 hours a day in the gym. If you're doing nothing now, then a simple 20-30 min of resistance training Mon-Fri is going to net some results. If you're a lawyer in some downtown office, then you probably have access to a gym right in your building. You can bang out a short workout right after work, and still make it home to watch Game of Thrones or whatever your poison is.

If you can make these few simple changes you will see results. If you can maintain this for 1-2 months it should be habit at that point. And if you want better results, you can continue to tweak things. Add better workouts, really start getting scientific with your diet, supplementation, etc.

Thank you for your input. It is certainly helpful.

Quite honestly, I am not intended to compete or get some crazy 8 pack or some shit. I just want to be healthier in general and not be carrying out pudgy fat and go back to muscular days. I don't want to do anything too drastic which ends up being impossible to follow and instead want to make some positive changes in general that sort of become a part of my life instead of any crazy crash diets and sitting down and counting each calorie intake etc.

Essentially those are the kind of ideas I need from people that have done that themselves or are trained in the matter I guess. Pretty much exactly what you said in the beginning is how I want to be and definitely not looking to change my careers into bodybuilding by any means. Haha.

Morning shakes I have definitely thought about and have done for a week or two before falling off the wagon again. I typically like to have my shakes with milk so if I run out of milk I will avoid it all together. But perhaps I can start taking them with water.

Keeping low carbs on the weekdays is usually a problem as for lunch I will end up with donair, burger or whatever I can get my hands on quickly and sometimes while on the road if I am out of town for court. Today I was out of town but tried to go healthy and got a chicken wrap at Subway instead...that was at 12'ish and I am hungry as fuck right now already...lol.

I guess I can try to have more salads instead of burgers and donairs but aren't salads all carbs anyway? The Apple pecan salad at Wendy's is actually quite good and one of the few salads out there that I can take.

Meal prep is definitely a great idea - I doubt my wife will do it for me going above and beyond what she already does with working and taking care of the house lol so I should try and look up some recipes that can be prepared the way you prepare your pot roasts and easy for someone like me who has absolutely 0 cooking skills. Haha.

If you have any good suggestions in regards to 3 or 4 days a week work out plans then certainly feel free to throw those in here cause I am sure I can use something like that as well. Whenever I do go right now and it isn't current, I will do some cardio and then whatever body part I feel like doing (chest, biceps etc). Since I am not going consistently the next time when there's been a large gap I will end up doing the same body parts or something else for that matter. This part though I know I just gotta get back into the habit of going so no one can really change or help with that. But I figured if there is a set plan to follow that may motivate me to keep at it.

I think what will also help with the diet plan is if Shakalaka comes to the next Beyond food meet and not eat anything. He can sit there and watch in blissful meditation while we gobble and devour great food.

It will be just like that training scene from the movie Kickboxer. When Van Dam is buried in the ground does not eat anything and the different people put fresh rice in front of his face. It will help Shakalaka focus his mind and when it comes to the final boss fight of defeating the mighty fat god. Shakalaka can have a melodramatic flash back of his training and how we all supported him.

Haha...I am down for those meats and I'd probably out-eat you all regardless of the diet plan or whatever. Like I said, I want to make it generally a good habit instead of going on some sort of a crash diet only to fall off the wagon in a week or two.

As far as pop and all that is concerned, I don't drink too much of that anyway and honestly if I had to cut that out it wouldn't be a big deal for me. Same with booze...don't have to drink. I don't even get too many cravings for things like ice cream and what not. Pizza is my kryptonite really. But the biggest thing is the inconsistent timing of eating, overeating when eating and usually easy to grab, tasty but unhealthy food.

max_boost
04-15-2019, 04:18 PM
shak plz go with my program lol you be the 3rd Beyonder on it haha

scboss
04-16-2019, 12:08 AM
If I am going to go this route I think I should just start doing that Stronglifts 5 x 5 program that I did in my younger days.

Keeping low carbs on the weekdays is usually a problem as for lunch I will end up with donair, burger or whatever I can get my hands on quickly and sometimes while on the road if I am out of town for court. Today I was out of town but tried to go healthy and got a chicken wrap at Subway instead...that was at 12'ish and I am hungry as fuck right now already...lol.

My best advice for you is save you cheat meals for when you are being social not for daily shit like lunch at work. I always get blown away when people tell me they ate a burger by themselves then say it sucks they cant go out with friends. I literally never each anything shit when im by myself as id rather save it for family dinners or going out with my girl.

Carbs are not your enemy eating out is. Its calorie dense stuff that gets you in trouble.

As far as stronglifts go why did you stop before? I personally would suggest getting in the gym and having tons of variety or even just taking up something active. So hard to keep motivated on a program like that long term.

spike98
04-16-2019, 07:48 AM
If I am going to go this route I think I should just start doing that Stronglifts 5 x 5 program that I did in my younger days.

The SL 5x5 app is incredibly easy to follow and progress. Its about as simple as it gets. Add in some accessories for aesthetics and its a great program. However for me, it got boring after a while and the workouts were getting long. To long to manage in one hour. I ended up doing a PPL routine and had much better results but YMMV.

Misterman
04-16-2019, 08:48 AM
And it's not even the weight I care about losing - it's the fat itself.

Glad you already have this part figured out. Huge difference between weight loss and fat loss, but most people use the terms synonymously. That's where all this bad advice about limiting calories comes from.

Thank you for your input. It is certainly helpful.

Quite honestly, I am not intended to compete or get some crazy 8 pack or some shit. I just want to be healthier in general and not be carrying out pudgy fat and go back to muscular days. I don't want to do anything too drastic which ends up being impossible to follow and instead want to make some positive changes in general that sort of become a part of my life instead of any crazy crash diets and sitting down and counting each calorie intake etc.

Essentially those are the kind of ideas I need from people that have done that themselves or are trained in the matter I guess. Pretty much exactly what you said in the beginning is how I want to be and definitely not looking to change my careers into bodybuilding by any means. Haha.

Morning shakes I have definitely thought about and have done for a week or two before falling off the wagon again. I typically like to have my shakes with milk so if I run out of milk I will avoid it all together. But perhaps I can start taking them with water.

I guess I can try to have more salads instead of burgers and donairs but aren't salads all carbs anyway? The Apple pecan salad at Wendy's is actually quite good and one of the few salads out there that I can take.

Meal prep is definitely a great idea - I doubt my wife will do it for me going above and beyond what she already does with working and taking care of the house lol so I should try and look up some recipes that can be prepared the way you prepare your pot roasts and easy for someone like me who has absolutely 0 cooking skills. Haha.

If you have any good suggestions in regards to 3 or 4 days a week work out plans then certainly feel free to throw those in here cause I am sure I can use something like that as well. Whenever I do go right now and it isn't current, I will do some cardio and then whatever body part I feel like doing (chest, biceps etc). Since I am not going consistently the next time when there's been a large gap I will end up doing the same body parts or something else for that matter. This part though I know I just gotta get back into the habit of going so no one can really change or help with that. But I figured if there is a set plan to follow that may motivate me to keep at it.

Haha...I am down for those meats and I'd probably out-eat you all regardless of the diet plan or whatever. Like I said, I want to make it generally a good habit instead of going on some sort of a crash diet only to fall off the wagon in a week or two.

As far as pop and all that is concerned, I don't drink too much of that anyway and honestly if I had to cut that out it wouldn't be a big deal for me. Same with booze...don't have to drink. I don't even get too many cravings for things like ice cream and what not. Pizza is my kryptonite really. But the biggest thing is the inconsistent timing of eating, overeating when eating and usually easy to grab, tasty but unhealthy food.

Is it a taste thing that makes you use milk for shakes? If that's the case then I would just suggest a better tasting whey powder. Bio-X actually tastes amazing with just water, and has a good creamy texture. But if you're hell bent on mixing shakes with that poison, you could consider switching to cashew milk or something. Still has that creaminess or whatever people like about milk, but without all the sugar and garbage.

Your issue with keeping carbs low during the week all boils back to the meal prep. It is really easy once you get in the swing of it. I can give you one simple recipe that literally anyone can follow. Roasts into a slow cooker. Throw in a pack of Knorr Onion and roasted garlic recipe. cover with water to the top of the roasts. set on low and leave it alone for 10 hours. Meat will just peel apart at that point, measure it up into 6-8 ounce containers. Personally I just toss a bag of small potatoes into the crock pot as well. 3-4 small potatoes with each meal. It's not keto, but keeps my carbs low, just not low enough to leave me feeling hungry every hour.

Trying to swap actual calories for salads is just a starvation game. The calories in salad generally come from dressing if you're using a bunch of that. Otherwise it's just a bunch of fiber and vitamins. If you're able to get some chicken or some type of meat tossed into it, then it's not a terrible option.

max_boost
04-16-2019, 11:02 AM
can we change the title a little

abs for shakalaka 2019!!!

:D:D :D

colinxx235
04-16-2019, 12:57 PM
Yah Shak, it takes a bit. I cut out about 20 lbs in 3 months before the new year there.
The biggest thing is always meal prep. And if you don't have time to do it, a few services in Calgary are around for a price so you just pick up a bunch of portioned meals. And it'll be wayyy healthier than hitting up fast foods. Ontop of meal prep try to think about small snacks, like monday morning bring 5 apples or whatever fruit and a bunch of portioned veggies/almonds etc. to eat if you need a quick filler.
If you're hungry between meals make sure you up your water intake, it will help curb it a bit if you don't have the snacks around.

Cut out the pop/processed sugars.
If you want with your smoothies try some almond milk too. Lasts longer than regular milk too and is a good alternative.

I don't know if the fast food places still do this, but before they used to soak/rinse salads in sugar water to preserve the lettuce longer. The dressings are what kills you the most too. Always opt for the balsamic and if possible have on the side to portion control.

The most important thing is to find something decently healthy that you enjoy. If I was too lazy to meal prep I always did my best to head to sunterra or freshii/poke luna for example.

As for the gym as long as you have a good balance of cardio and weight lifting it'll help. Biggest thing first is the diet and those apps can really help at the start to teach your brain how much you are consuming and manage portion controls/balance.

Best of luck to ya :clap:

spike98
04-16-2019, 02:04 PM
If you want with your smoothies try some almond milk too. Lasts longer than regular milk too and is a good alternative.

Id suggest ultra filtered milk before almond as it tastes WAY better and has much more protein. Half the sugar as regular milk as well.

tonytiger55
04-16-2019, 02:47 PM
Cut out the pop/processed sugars.

+1

heavyfuel
04-16-2019, 06:15 PM

cardio optional

report back in 3-6months

can we change the title a little

abs for shakalaka 2019!!!

:D:D :D

Not gonna get anything remotely resembling abs without a diet plan and some cardio. Don't need to run 10km 5x/week just get into some skipping and once you're over the minute mark do 5-6 rounds with each workout and the pounds will come right off and fast. And if you're only gonna do big lifts you can't leave out squats. I don't know if you posted this as a serious routine or a joke but it sure sounds like a joke from here, like quit being lazy and throw in some squats already.

But you wanna leave out squats? Okay leave out bench too, and just deadlift. Do CT Fletcher's deadlift marathon. 20 sets. 225lbs. Starting with 1 rep and adding a rep each set all the way to 20. Now this isn't crossfit but try to keep that one under an hour. No excuses.

Lemme know how that goes. Oh and have some chalk. You'll need it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZxZkmxGirk&t=1527s

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-17-2019, 08:55 AM
Id suggest ultra filtered milk before almond as it tastes WAY better and has much more protein. Half the sugar as regular milk as well.

I quite enjoy the taste of almond milk.

brucebanner
04-17-2019, 07:08 PM
But you wanna leave out squats? Okay leave out bench too, and just deadlift. Do CT Fletcher's deadlift marathon. 20 sets. 225lbs. Starting with 1 rep and adding a rep each set all the way to 20. Now this isn't crossfit but try to keep that one under an hour. No excuses.

Under an hour? It doesn't sound that hard in that time span. May have to give that a go my next pull day in the gym.

heavyfuel
04-17-2019, 08:34 PM
Under an hour? It doesn't sound that hard in that time span. May have to give that a go my next pull day in the gym.

It's pretty crazy! Let me know how it goes. It's not a timed workout but the video is 39 minutes so that's what I based the under an hour on. It took my girl and I just over an hour last time but I've done it in under an hour too, just make sure you carb up leading up to this one haha

When I saw KC do this on one leg that was all the motivation I needed! I dropped the bar on the 20th set on my first attempt, nailed it on the second and I think I've done it maybe 5 times total.

brucebanner
04-18-2019, 02:25 PM
It's pretty crazy! Let me know how it goes. It's not a timed workout but the video is 39 minutes so that's what I based the under an hour on. It took my girl and I just over an hour last time but I've done it in under an hour too, just make sure you carb up leading up to this one haha

When I saw KC do this on one leg that was all the motivation I needed! I dropped the bar on the 20th set on my first attempt, nailed it on the second and I think I've done it maybe 5 times total.

Turns out today was pull day. Currently working nights, had about 5.5 hours sleep, banana before the gym.

41 minutes +/-

Harder than I initially thought :banghead::barf:

heavyfuel
04-18-2019, 05:44 PM
Turns out today was pull day. Currently working nights, had about 5.5 hours sleep, banana before the gym.

41 minutes +/-

Harder than I initially thought :banghead::barf:

Niiiiice! That's awesome glad you nailed it. It is harder than it seems isn't it? Once I get to the 14th or 15th set I'm like, ok this shit's real lol

max_boost
04-20-2019, 12:28 PM
what's the marth for that lol

At your bodyweight? I'm 135lbs so I am not gonna do 225lbs haha but if it's 135lbs, I think I can do it possibly.

Also, I would start at 20reps and work my way down lol vs start at rep 1 and work my way up :dunno: but fk me 210reps that's fkn nuts

brucebanner
04-20-2019, 03:17 PM

At your bodyweight? I'm 135lbs so I am not gonna do 225lbs haha but if it's 135lbs, I think I can do it possibly.

Also, I would start at 20reps and work my way down lol vs start at rep 1 and work my way up :dunno: but fk me 210reps that's fkn nuts

No Max, that's the easy way. 1 through 20 not 20 through 1.

It was lots of fun, I promise. :angel:

heavyfuel
04-20-2019, 05:22 PM

Lol yeah nobody should expect any normal person to attempt this at 90lbs over BW!

Give it a shot, and no cheating 1-20 not 20-1 haha

No Max, that's the easy way. 1 through 20 not 20 through 1.

It was lots of fun, I promise. :angel:

It is fun but it's not something you would do on a regular basis. I think we need to amp up the dick swinging a bit and have a Beyond deadlift marathon challenge. All at the same gym, using as close to bodyweight as possible and without turning this into crossfit, timed.

max_boost
04-20-2019, 08:22 PM
I'm good with my 100rep dl haha (boring but big Jim Wendler 531)

I'm fairly confident I can do the 20 sets at my bodyweight if it was 20-1 haha 1-20 fkn forget about it. I normally warm up with 1 plate anyway :D

Also, is it cheating if I bounce it? haha Fk I am so not resetting after each rep and need that momentum if going for 20 :rofl: :eek:

ExtraSlow
04-20-2019, 10:24 PM
Can I lift max's bodyweight instead of my own?

brucebanner
04-21-2019, 05:58 AM
Like heavy said, set 15 or 16 was when shit was real for me. I contemplated stopping there haha.

Max, I didn't dead stop reset every rep. I think continuous reps are fine but not bouncing haha. True dead stop reps would make this way worse.

heavyfuel
04-21-2019, 08:08 AM
Can I lift max's bodyweight instead of my own?

You can just deadlift Max instead lol

shakalaka
04-21-2019, 04:28 PM
I am going to be in Spain and Italy for a couple of weeks starting tomorrow so obviously diet and exercise will be the last thing on my mind but I plan to look into this more seriously once I am back. That being said, reading the second page of this thread, looks like things ended up getting derailed. lol.

roopi
04-21-2019, 08:34 PM
Tried the deadlift marathon today at bodyweight and I quit at the 15th set. This is not easy and I felt my form was getting pretty bad so quit. I'm going to try it again next Sunday.

heavyfuel
04-22-2019, 09:07 AM
I am going to be in Spain and Italy for a couple of weeks starting tomorrow so obviously diet and exercise will be the last thing on my mind but I plan to look into this more seriously once I am back. That being said, reading the second page of this thread, looks like things ended up getting derailed. lol.

Your avatar pic will have me believe you like high end stuff, and your quote under your username probably means you can afford it. So here it is, point blank. You want results? You gotta take that obsession that you already have with that stuff, acquire the knowledge required to reach your goals and you gotta diversity your obsession into the actions that will get you results.

Depending on the results you want the first few months are gonna suck and I mean suck. You gotta count every calorie, read every label, track every macro, and portion out every meal and eat often at the right intervals because that's the best way to speed up your metabolism and get this process going. Most importantly figure out your resting BMR and intake less calories than you require according to your BMR. That's the easiest most surefire way to drop the pounds without having to become a full time gym rat. Split those calories up into 30% protein, 30% fat and 40% carbs and by carbs I mean clean carbs like brown rice, quinoa, brown rice pasta, squash, etc. Cut out bread and pasta completely for the first little while. Avoid refined sugars at all costs, I can't stress this enough even that 1 teaspoon in your coffee will fuck everything up. Fruit juice, pop, cookies, baked gods, desserts, you gotta 86 that shit completely there's no nice way to put it. Even diet pop is so full of garbage that you don't want. And milk is the biggest scam going too, 13g sugar per cup. Switch to almond if you need it that bad. There's over 50 legal ways to label sugar in ingredients lists. You gotta read, read read and avoid it. You're a lawyer I'm guessing so I'm not seeing how this can be too too much of a challenge for you.

You won't have to stay on this regime forever. Eventually you'll be able to re introduce certain foods that right now will impede results. Nothing is easy at first and this is no different.

You say this thread got derailed, yet I haven't seen much input from you throughout the thread. Then you make it a point to say you're gonna be in Spain and Japan and that diet and exercise will be the last thing on your mind? You're derailing yourself right there with that attitude.

Step 1 is to figure out how bad you want this, and step 2 is gonna be make some changes and start grinding, or go spend 15k on another suit and watch and keep trying to tell yourself that everything is ok.

Good luck.

Tried the deadlift marathon today at bodyweight and I quit at the 15th set. This is not easy and I felt my form was getting pretty bad so quit. I'm going to try it again next Sunday.

Nice! Take your time, rest as long as you need between sets and just never quit! It will feel so good when you nail it. Nobody is gonna expect perfect form out of this kind of a workout and the chances of injury at bodyweight are pretty slim. Once again, this isn't crossfit so don't worry about form and time.

max_boost
04-22-2019, 10:33 PM
Okay confirmed this is a nasty brutal fkn disgusting barfing type workout.

Doing 135 (body weight) DL

Doing 20 to 1 and not 1 to 20 haha

20 check
19 check
18 check
17 check
16 check
15 check
14 check - grip starting to fail lol
13 check - grip failed with 3 reps to go
12 check - grip failed on last rep
11 check
10 check
9 check
8 check

Ran out of time lol took me 75mins so far but confidently can do the rest with more time but nah fk this workout lol touch and go reps hehe
Sorath is my witness

brucebanner
04-23-2019, 12:49 AM
Max, you should do it the other way.

max_boost
04-23-2019, 02:00 AM
Bad idea to do this after no gym for like a month. I feel it lol gonna be hurting for the new few days

brucebanner
04-23-2019, 03:12 AM
Bad idea to do this after no gym for like a month. I feel it lol gonna be hurting for the new few days

Oh you'll be feeling that for sure haha

heavyfuel
04-23-2019, 07:20 AM
Boost, do it right or CT Fletcher is gonna find yo candy ass!

Anyways.. Shak I can't help but notice you changed your avatar since my last post. Lmao.

PERFECT example of why I don't wanna be a personal trainer.

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-23-2019, 07:25 AM

Anything over 5 reps is considered cardio.

heavyfuel
04-23-2019, 07:29 AM
Anything over 5 reps is considered cardio.

Is this you?

https://i.ibb.co/W3w4HXJ/cafb589e10524196cd4f9c7ce332ecc2.jpg (https://ibb.co/z5YTmgv)
upload image (https://imgbb.com/)

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-23-2019, 07:43 AM
Is this you?

https://i.ibb.co/W3w4HXJ/cafb589e10524196cd4f9c7ce332ecc2.jpg (https://ibb.co/z5YTmgv)
upload image (https://imgbb.com/)

That's me after cutting.

heavyfuel
04-23-2019, 07:55 AM
That's me after cutting.

Lmao

rx7boi
04-23-2019, 08:18 AM
I just got back into the gym after a 2 year hiatus following my bilateral ulnar transposition.

I love squats and deadlifts and I've missed watching chicks do squats. :love:

roopi
04-29-2019, 09:25 PM

Tried again this morning before work and failed again. Quit after set 16 this time at 45 minutes. 4 more weeks and I'll be there.

heavyfuel
04-29-2019, 10:07 PM
Nice! Damn right you gonna get it and sooner than 4 weeks just stay on the grind!

Mods, any way we can split this into a Deadlift Marathon thread, so as to not disturb shaka from his Spain and Italy trip, since diet and exercise are the last thing on his mind?

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-30-2019, 06:40 AM
I'm tempted to try this Deadlift marathon. I also don't think it sounds awful.

heavyfuel
04-30-2019, 07:54 AM

Watch the video and listen to CT at the beginning... haha good luck!

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-30-2019, 08:05 AM
Watch the video and listen to CT at the beginning... haha good luck!

Maybe I'll try this at the Y, and time lapse record myself.

Misterman
04-30-2019, 08:24 AM
reading the second page of this thread, looks like things ended up getting derailed. lol.

Crossfitters gonna crossfit. Even the ones in denial about being crossfitters. lol

heavyfuel
04-30-2019, 08:48 AM
Crossfitters gonna crossfit. Even the ones in denial about being crossfitters. lol

Alright let's derail the fuck outta this!

LMAO where's a real crossfitter when you need one!

Please... there's a big gap between useless bro lifting and begging for injury crossfit. Sorry if your idea of cardio is 15 minutes on a stationary bike LOL

I would literally pay money to see CT's reaction to the deadlift marathon being compared to crossfaggotry hahaha

Misterman
04-30-2019, 09:14 AM
Alright let's derail the fuck outta this!

LMAO where's a real crossfitter when you need one!

Please... there's a big gap between useless bro lifting and begging for injury crossfit. Sorry if your idea of cardio is 15 minutes on a stationary bike LOL

I would literally pay money to see CT's reaction to the deadlift marathon being compared to crossfaggotry hahaha

The first step to recovery is accepting and acknowledging that you're a crossfitter.

heavyfuel
04-30-2019, 09:19 AM
The first step to recovery is accepting and acknowledging that you're a crossfitter.

And what's the 2nd step? Becoming a bro lifter who can't run around the block without having a heart attack and struggles with his huge delts to wipe his own ass or strap into a snowboard? Is that the great Misterman bodybuilding motivational speech of the day?

Bro lifting------------------------------------------------------------------------sweet spot------------------------------------------------------------------------------crossfit.

Simple.

Misterman
04-30-2019, 09:42 AM
And what's the 2nd step? Becoming a bro lifter who can't run around the block without having a heart attack and struggles with his huge delts to wipe his own ass or strap into a snowboard? Is that the great Misterman bodybuilding motivational speech of the day?

Bro lifting------------------------------------------------------------------------sweet spot------------------------------------------------------------------------------crossfit.

Simple.

Wow you're really running off the deep end hey.

heavyfuel
04-30-2019, 09:47 AM
Wow you're really running off the deep end hey.

Did you expect any less from a crossfitter?

Misterman
04-30-2019, 09:58 AM
Did you expect any less from a crossfitter?

lol. true. Although traditional crossfitters are like Vegans, you don't have to ask, they'll tell you the first chance they get.

heavyfuel
04-30-2019, 10:15 AM
lol. true. Although traditional crossfitters are like Vegans, you don't have to ask, they'll tell you the first chance they get.

You didn't ask me if I was, you told me that I was LOL I joined crossfit last year now DO YOU THINK for a second that's an environment for me? Really?

It's funny how all you bro bodybuilders equate everything cardio to crossfit lol just because you'll lose your precious gains by doing cardio, only to end up in terrible physical shape while thinking you look good.

And yes, those fucks are like vegans, can't just eat their plants and let us eat meat. I like to eat plants and meat.

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-30-2019, 10:30 AM
I feel like I should learn what you look like.

heavyfuel
04-30-2019, 11:00 AM
I feel like I should learn what you look like.

Haha we met, years ago at a Subaru meet IIRC, I was also out of shape back then and 40ish lbs bigger. Pretty sure it was you, can't remember your name.

I'll be at the Y 6ish today I think.

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-30-2019, 11:09 AM
Haha we met, years ago at a Subaru meet IIRC, I was also out of shape back then and 40ish lbs bigger. Pretty sure it was you, can't remember your name.

I'll be at the Y 6ish today I think.

Rest day for me today. I'm usually there on weekdays around 4-6, and on weekends around 9-11am.

heavyfuel
04-30-2019, 11:21 AM
Rest day for me today. I'm usually there on weekdays around 4-6, and on weekends around 9-11am.

Rest day? Wuuuuut?

Hahah that's cool lol I think I can make 4-6 tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UZzmsADjTw

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-30-2019, 11:28 AM
Rest day? Wuuuuut?

Hahah that's cool lol I think I can make 4-6 tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UZzmsADjTw

5 day program. Rest days are usually Tues/Wed. I'm just gonna find out one day you're one of the dudes I talk to regularly, with no idea you were in beyond.

Misterman
04-30-2019, 11:36 AM
You didn't ask me if I was, you told me that I was LOL I joined crossfit last year now DO YOU THINK for a second that's an environment for me? Really?

It's funny how all you bro bodybuilders equate everything cardio to crossfit lol just because you'll lose your precious gains by doing cardio, only to end up in terrible physical shape while thinking you look good.

And yes, those fucks are like vegans, can't just eat their plants and let us eat meat. I like to eat plants and meat.

Why you so mad? And what's all this bro bodybuilder shit you keep talking about? You do crossfit workouts............. but you're not a crossfitter. I get it. It was a joke(routed in truth, but I digress), treat it like a dick, the world would be a better place if you could take a joke too.

max_boost
04-30-2019, 11:54 AM
The soreness from the deadlift challenge lasted a week. No fun haha

heavyfuel
04-30-2019, 11:58 AM
Why you so mad? And what's all this bro bodybuilder shit you keep talking about? You do crossfit workouts............. but you're not a crossfitter. I get it. It was a joke(routed in truth, but I digress), treat it like a dick, the world would be a better place if you could take a joke too.

It’s always a joke when you can’t take what you dish out, right?

Misterman
04-30-2019, 12:10 PM
It’s always a joke when you can’t take what you dish out, right?

I'm the wrong person to be asking questions to about your own reality.

heavyfuel
04-30-2019, 12:42 PM
I'm the wrong person to be asking questions to about your own reality.

Who’s asking you anything? But you’re the right person to (erroneously) determine that I’m a crossfitter?

Brent.ff
04-30-2019, 12:45 PM
Man i really overate the sugar today, maybe i'll turn diabetic and this thread will get back on track..

wow boys, go start your own

Disoblige
04-30-2019, 12:46 PM
Just chiming in that I'm excited for the LDS and heavyfuel selfie at the Y tomorrow.

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-30-2019, 12:59 PM
Just chiming in that I'm excited for the LDS and heavyfuel selfie at the Y tomorrow.

I'll be there early. I have a few days off this week, so it'll be morning workouts for me, so I _still_ won't get to see him there.

brucebanner
04-30-2019, 01:46 PM

Try it and share your thoughts on how awful or not awful it is haha.

max_boost
04-30-2019, 01:48 PM
Question tho, if you do 1 to 20, what's the strategy? Do you just plow right through the first 10 sets? haha

I know 20 to 1 I am pretty sure if I suck it up I can get it done in 1 hour. Just gotta focus and get through mental hurdle haha

you&me
04-30-2019, 02:14 PM
Question tho, if you do 1 to 20, what's the strategy? Do you just plow right through the first 10 sets? haha

I know 20 to 1 I am pretty sure if I suck it up I can get it done in 1 hour. Just gotta focus and get through mental hurdle haha

The strategy is kinda like running stairs... 1 to 20 is like going up the stairs; 20 to 1 is going down... Same number of steps, but completely different effort...

roopi
04-30-2019, 02:59 PM

Don't die. That's the strategy. I never really had a strategy. Basically jump to the next set when I feel I am ready. I guess the problem with this strategy is I'm not ready when I hit set 16/17 and I fail to finish the set. Since I made it in 45 minutes i should just time out a 5 minute break for the last three sets to finish at an hour.