PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Calgary International Auto & Truck Show

Masked Bandit
04-21-2019, 06:26 AM
A little surprised there isn't a thread on this already (or maybe I just can't find it). Went down last night, attendance has to be way down from previous years. Overall I was disappointed, the displays seemed sparse. The upside of low attendance is I could spend as much time as I wanted in each car without having three people waiting for you to get out. The absence of BMW & MB were notable, I wonder if they'll regret that decision? I still find this kind of event valuable because there can be vehicles that seem to check all the boxes when researching online but sometimes when you get behind the wheel something just doesn't seem right and that was the Genesis G70 for me yesterday. My research tells me it's the perfect next car for me but I think it's off the list now. Anyone else have any surprises while down there?

dirtsniffer
04-21-2019, 06:56 AM
We went down to look at crossovers for the Mrs. A lot of options in the market. Liked the Atlas quite a bit. Also liked the highlander but how can a vehicle in 2019 not have Android auto, so it's probably off the list.

I sat in the g70 for a while. Liked it quite a bit.

Practically the only people who talked to me wanted us to sign up for 'contests'

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-21-2019, 09:52 AM
Soent about 8 hours there. No real salespeople approached me but could tell people were being annoyed by me poking around under hoods, pointing things out, getting under vehicles etc.

One of the 2019 Rams had leaking shocks and the diffs were already paintless and rusty. The Hellcat Redeye they had was $120k which seems very pricey to me. Industry panel gaps appear to be getting better however Alfa is still a disaster. Infiniti’s paint quality is atrocious. Porsche has some questionable button feel and plastic quality on some models. I liked the door sensor in the rear doors of the iPace that alerts you if you might hit the door opening it. I also really liked the functional hoodscoop throwback to the C-X75. The iPace is the only electric vehicle I have any interest in. The rear seat side window view on the new Mazda 3 is very claustrophobic. Tacoma and Ranger rear seat space is very poor. The driving position in the Veloster N is really really good. Very excited to see if they bring the i30N (Elantra) over. My 6’3” friend said he was comfortable in the third row of the Expedition. GMs multi function tailgate is a nice design but has flaws. As per usual the same sassy cunt I’ve seen in that booth for the past ten years went at it with me when I pointed out flaws.

spikerS
04-21-2019, 12:57 PM
Gonna head down there today? is it best to just buy tickets on-site, or ?

revelations
04-21-2019, 01:04 PM
A little surprised there isn't a thread on this already (or maybe I just can't find it). Went down last night, attendance has to be way down from previous years. Overall I was disappointed, the displays seemed sparse. The upside of low attendance is I could spend as much time as I wanted in each car without having three people waiting for you to get out. The absence of BMW & MB were notable, I wonder if they'll regret that decision? I still find this kind of event valuable because there can be vehicles that seem to check all the boxes when researching online but sometimes when you get behind the wheel something just doesn't seem right and that was the Genesis G70 for me yesterday. My research tells me it's the perfect next car for me but I think it's off the list now. Anyone else have any surprises while down there?

Last time I want was in 2007 - and I wanted to drool over the new Civic and was not disappointed. But it seems like cars are becoming more and more like phones/appliances and younge buyers just care about tech.

370Z
04-21-2019, 01:52 PM
Really impressed with the new Mazda designs, if the new 3 had a manual with AWD I'd seriously consider it.

Tik-Tok
04-21-2019, 03:10 PM
attendance has to be way down from previous years.

Easter weekend seems like a bad one to hold it. Lots of people out of town, and the streets seem empty.

msommers
04-21-2019, 04:55 PM
Yeah I was really wanting to go but Easter weekend is a total bust for me :(

austic
04-21-2019, 05:49 PM
Heard BMW and Benz were not there so didnt bother going as those tend to be the only brands we buy.

spikerS
04-21-2019, 06:20 PM

Went down, pretty sure I found my next truck. Now I gotta find a dealer with one in stock with my options.

Kloubek
04-21-2019, 09:43 PM
Really impressed with the new Mazda designs, if the new 3 had a manual with AWD I'd seriously consider it.
I agree. Their interiors have taken a step up as well.

To be honest, not many of the cars wowed me. I really like the new techcentric interiors on the Audi A6 thru to A8, and dig the automated side steps on the trucks but overall seems like the manufacturers are pumping out largely evolutionary models.

R154
04-21-2019, 10:03 PM
For real man?

That is fucking hideous.

16hypen3sp
04-21-2019, 10:06 PM
Word on the street is Genesis bailed on showing the 2020 G90. They left the Montreal model that they debuted in Feb back east somewhere. They have also officially pushed the next gen G-80 (Canadian spec) to MY 2021 which is a major bummer. I assume the GV80 will follow suit.

gogreen
04-21-2019, 10:43 PM
I spent a couple hours there on Friday and did a targeted tour to hit what I wanted to see. I thought the Supra looked better in person than in photos. It was a bit disappointing that the CTR wasn’t accessible as I would have liked to sit in it as well. I was able to sit in the Bullitt Mustang and thought I would like it better.

nicknolte
04-21-2019, 10:59 PM
This was the first time in 17 years that I missed it. Who thought that hosting it on Easter long weekend would be a good idea...

spike98
04-22-2019, 07:23 AM
I left disappointed with the lack of MB/BMW as i had hoped to shop a 5 series/E-Class. I also wanted to fiddle with the new heavy duty's from GMC and Dodge but they have them both roped off like they were exotics. :confused:

It was the first time i have physically sat in the new navigator and am thoroughly impressed. However it took me almost a half an hour to get into it because some white homies were blasting ganster rap and taking up the vehicle.

All in all, it was a good show.

Team_Mclaren
04-22-2019, 08:40 AM
I found my next car in the Volvo V60. Otherwise the show was boring overall.

ExtraSlow
04-22-2019, 08:55 AM

Nice choice. Really appealing package.

Tik-Tok
04-22-2019, 10:00 AM

A friend has been leasing those for almost a decade now, he is super happy with them, and his sales guy has been giving him some awesome repeat owner deals.

Mitsu3000gt
04-22-2019, 02:24 PM
Disappointing not to see MB/BMW there but oh well. Would have really liked to check out the A class.

Biggest surprises for me were:

Jeep Gladiator Truck at $65K LOL. That was one of the biggest pieces of crap I sat in at the entire show and I honestly thought it was ~$30K like other Jeeps which are already overpriced.

Jeep (Rubicon)? $60K. See above.

Chevy Blazer RS at $55K was also a joke IMO.

And finally the Jeep Trackhawk at over $120K was, IMHO, ridiculous. More expensive than an X5M or GLE63S.

I was thoroughly impressed by the Genesis lineup - I didn't know the G80 was so cheap (relatively speaking). Too bad G90 wasn't there. The G70 sure stands out after sitting in lots of other $55K cars. The only better interior was Audi's more expensive models IMO.

Weren't too many new models this year, so it was a lot of the same - only spent about 6.5hr there this year.

I like how Porsche let people in their cars - there was a kid crawling in/out of the window of the Panamara, stomping the seat/center console/window controls numerous times over and over while his parents watched. Wouldn't want to be the poor SOB who buys that one.

Disoblige
04-22-2019, 02:28 PM
I didn't go but no mention of how the Supra looked in person?

Also saw a new 4Runner TRD Pro in that "new" FJ Blue in the road that looked pretty eye-catching. Too bad most are driven by pavement princesses.

Mitsu3000gt
04-22-2019, 02:53 PM

Also saw a new 4Runner TRD Pro in that "new" FJ Blue in the road that looked pretty eye-catching. Too bad most are driven by pavement princesses.

Supra looked good. The one at the show had matte paint so it's not everyone's cup of tea. It bothers me a bit that it's mostly just a BMW, rather than something new and exiting from Toyota, but it'll still be awesome I'm sure.

Xtrema
04-23-2019, 09:53 AM
Disappointing not to see MB/BMW there but oh well. Would have really liked to check out the A class.

Jeep Gladiator Truck at $65K LOL. That was one of the biggest pieces of crap I sat in at the entire show and I honestly thought it was ~$30K like other Jeeps which are already overpriced.

And finally the Jeep Trackhawk at over $120K was, IMHO, ridiculous. More expensive than an X5M or GLE63S.

I was thoroughly impressed by the Genesis lineup - I didn't know the G80 was so cheap (relatively speaking). Too bad G90 wasn't there. The G70 sure stands out after sitting in lots of other $55K cars. The only better interior was Audi's more expensive models IMO.

Weren't too many new models this year, so it was a lot of the same - only spent about 6.5hr there this year.

I like how Porsche let people in their cars - there was a kid crawling in/out of the window of the Panamara, stomping the seat/center console/window controls numerous times over and over while his parents watched. Wouldn't want to be the poor SOB who buys that one.

Porsche only let you into cheap cars, not 911s if I recall.

Overall the show is quite boring, almost all the cars are the same as last year. I now understand why BMW/MB decided to skip. There is no competition anyway. Genesis actually have less cars than last year, at least there was a SUV concept last year.

I would expect MB to come back next year when A class (Sedan/Hatch/CLA) and GLB are fully released.

Looks ok. I am still not 100% on board with all the fake grills.

rage2
04-23-2019, 09:58 AM
I would expect MB to come back next year when A class (Sedan/Hatch/CLA) and GLB are fully released.
The Germans are looking at pulling out of the international shows. Local shows have zero chance.

Their online launches on their schedule have been much more successful. It's gotten to the point that the web and social media release happens a day before the physical release, which is then covered and released on web and social media. :nut:

Xtrema
04-23-2019, 10:15 AM
The Germans are looking at pulling out of the international shows. Local shows have zero chance.

Their online launches on their schedule have been much more successful. It's gotten to the point that the web and social media release happens a day before the physical release, which is then covered and released on web and social media. :nut:

And then there's that....

Mitsu3000gt
04-23-2019, 10:23 AM
Porsche only let you into cheap cars, not 911s if I recall.

They let everyone in every car they had there while I was there (Friday). I was in the Cayman, the 911 4S, and the Panamara. The tan leather seats were all blue from people's jeans and the $100K+ Panamara was getting destroyed by kids.

Disoblige
04-23-2019, 10:27 AM
They let everyone in every car they had there while I was there (Friday). I was in the Cayman, the 911 4S, and the Panamara. The tan leather seats were all blue from people's jeans and the $100K+ Panamara was getting destroyed by kids.
To be honest, this is nice to see. This stuff is usually nothing that can't be detailed out. They understand that to attract buyers (no matter price point), you have to let them have access to inside the car.

msommers
04-23-2019, 10:27 AM
Heavy discount and I can say I drive a Porsche? Where do I sign?!

Mitsu3000gt
04-23-2019, 10:35 AM
To be honest, this is nice to see. This stuff is usually nothing that can't be detailed out. They understand that to attract buyers (no matter price point), you have to let them have access to inside the car.

The jean dye is probably less of an issue compared to ~20-30lb kids river dancing on the center console and door controls and food grease soaking deep into suede/alcantara.

Obviously as a 'customer' I like getting into the cars, but I would never buy a car that has been to the car show haha. Every car I've ever bought I have asked if it's ever been used in a show or been in a showroom.

spike98
04-23-2019, 10:43 AM

The likelihood of me getting a new HD GM plummeted when i wasn't able to get into to the truck at the show.

Team_Mclaren
04-23-2019, 12:05 PM

All those you listed are not for everybody obviously, otherwise everyone would drive a civic like you do. (though a base civic with leather for >30k is ridiculous too imo)

I like the Jeep Truck tho, cool as hell.

spikerS
04-23-2019, 12:07 PM
The likelihood of me getting a new HD GM plummeted when i wasn't able to get into to the truck at the show.

exactly. The fact I was able to climb into the Ram Power Wagon and actually get a feel for it, experience the layout, and how I fit in it is what pushed me over the edge and has solidified my decision to buy one.

I understand not letting people into the Lambos, Bugattis, ferraris, etc...but any of the domestics or imports that are sub $90k....that puts me off.

Side note, anyone have an "in" with a dodge dealer? I wanna work out some pricing and options.

max_boost
04-23-2019, 12:11 PM
Classic. oh noes. how dare my new Porsche get molested at the auto show. :rofl:

Sorath
04-23-2019, 12:16 PM
All those you listed are not for everybody obviously, otherwise everyone would drive a civic like you do. (though a base civic with leather for >30k is ridiculous too imo)

I wonder if he can help me get huge savings on it like he did with his civic :dunno:

max_boost
04-23-2019, 12:21 PM
I wonder if he can help me get huge savings on it like he did with his civic :dunno:

custom user title lol master car sales negotiator

JRSC00LUDE
04-23-2019, 01:24 PM
Went down, pretty sure I found my next truck. Now I gotta find a dealer with one in stock with my options.

Well, well, well. Finally throwing in the ford towel eh?

Mitsu3000gt
04-23-2019, 01:38 PM

You can't buy a base Civic with leather to my knowledge, unless they added it for MY2019 but I'm pretty sure they haven't. You've never been able to option leather on a Civic DX and if you could it wouldn't be anywhere near $30K. I don't think you can get any base model Honda with leather in their entire vehicle lineup but I could be wrong.

Team_Mclaren
04-23-2019, 01:49 PM
You can't buy a base Civic with leather to my knowledge, unless they added it for MY2019 but I'm pretty sure they haven't. You've never been able to option leather on a Civic DX and if you could it wouldn't be anywhere near $30K. I don't think you can get any base model Honda with leather in their entire vehicle lineup but I could be wrong.

Well you bought a Civic Sports touring, which is a "base" civic with leather... Same engine / transmission as the LX but 7k more. and yes the LX hatchback is the base with the same 1.5T in your "ST"

Mitsu3000gt
04-23-2019, 02:37 PM
Well you bought a Civic Sports touring, which is a "base" civic with leather... Same engine / transmission as the LX but 7k more. and yes the LX hatchback is the base with the same 1.5T in your "ST"

It's actually not exactly the same - the engine itself is the same but it has a slightly different tune and there is a long list of differences beyond the leather. You might be thinking of the "Sport" which has identical engine spec as the "Sport Touring", but not the LX. You seem really hung up on that leather for some reason haha - it's really nothing special.

Anyways I don't know why you think the only difference is leather seats - optional equipment costs money in every car, not just Honda. The difference is that on an econo-car like the Civic (or similar), you can get the full gamut of options/creature comforts for relatively cheap.

You originally said Civic not Civic Hatch, and the base model Civic is a DX which cannot be optioned with leather. Even in the hatch, there is no option to buy the base model (LX) and just add leather. I have no idea where you're getting the idea that Honda charges $7K for leather but it's simply not the case. You seem to be ignoring a long list of optional equipment for whatever reason.

And I agree, over $30K is a bit much (my budget was less than that) - anyone paying over $30K has not done their due diligence.

spikerS
04-23-2019, 06:21 PM
Well, well, well. Finally throwing in the ford towel eh?

sort of, yes. I mean, I have had nothing but great experiences with my F150s, minus the service department side of things. They have been rock solid for me, and I still love the 3.5L ecoboost, so much so that I wish I could transplant it into my next truck.

but, (there always is a but)

I am tired of the truck as a whole. The interior is boring, and the fit and finish I am now finding lacking. also the rear suspension is horrible, I keep finding that it likes to literally jump (especially noticeable on deerfoot) and swing around. All in all, I still like the F150, but I think I am ready to move on to something different and the power wagon has me really excited, which I haven't been for a new purchase in a long time.

Team_Mclaren
04-23-2019, 09:58 PM
And I agree, over $30K is a bit much (my budget was less than that) - anyone paying over $30K has not done their due diligence.

well 30k for a civic is IMO "overpriced" / ridiculous with the same engine as a "base" LX civic hatch that's 7k less, that's all I'm saying. MSRP is 31871 for a sport touring manual for MY2019. So with your amazing negotiating skill, How many thousands off did you get yours for?

Mitsu3000gt
04-24-2019, 10:59 AM
well 30k for a civic is IMO "overpriced" / ridiculous with the same engine as a "base" LX civic hatch that's 7k less, that's all I'm saying. MSRP is 31871 for a sport touring manual for MY2019. So with your amazing negotiating skill, How many thousands off did you get yours for?

Yup, once again, I completely agree with you in terms of the value sentiment. Not sure what the issue is haha. I didn't want to spend over $30K, and nothing else in the same price range offered the same combination of features for under $30K at the time I was in the market, so I'm not sure what else I could have bought in the segment that would have been a better deal. I'd genuinely like to hear your suggestions for a better new vehicle value proposition with the same level of features, I'm all ears as I will be in the market again soon. This was over 2 years ago now but I looked at pretty much everything at the time. There is nothing amazing about my negotiating skills at all, came in with a single offer and it was accepted. I think I paid around $3K under, I'd have to go dig up the exact number.

Literally every brand charges different amounts for different trim levels in vehicles with similar engines, I am not sure why you think it's so weird when Honda does it. The engines are also tuned slightly different between LX and Sport/ST - again very common between other models/brands. None of this is Honda-specific, I'm sure your 4-runner was exactly the same. You can take a look at the option sheet, there is a pretty significant difference between the LX and ST trims - if you don't need those things, you don't have to pay for them: https://www.honda.ca/Content/honda.ca/f537937b-33f5-4051-b5a0-0a6909374987/ModelPage_Downloads/HON20161_02_19MY_Civic_Hatchback_specs_header_EN.pdf

Why do you think it's so weird that Honda charges ~$7K for more power and more options, but not other brands? There are stereo upgrades that cost more than that in other cars, Honda's options are very much on the low end of the pricing spectrum. I bet there is a single option on your old M5 that costs more than that haha. There is an option package for the M3 that costs more than an entire new Civic Hatch LX lol. Option packages are typically a rip off on every car, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper to get all those exact same options on a cheap car than a higher end German car or something similar. There is nothing special about the Civic but it has some options many $80K+ cars don't have which I think is funny.

Anyways, what other (new) cars would you suggest I look at that offer better options/power/quality/resale than the Civic ST for less money? If it's overpriced, surely there are much better cars for the same or less money. I'm getting a new car soon and I would happily try something new.

Team_Mclaren
04-25-2019, 01:02 AM
blah blah blah

It's not that i think it's weird, it's your bitching about all other vehicles you cant afford is overpriced yet a civic with leather is indeed ... overpriced.

you got 3k under msrp without rebate? well.. i doubt that. If that's the case, good for you i supposed.

max_boost
04-25-2019, 01:05 AM
I'm getting a new car soon and I would happily try something new.

Such as?

Please post the play by play as your negotiating skills are phenomenal. Me wanna learn the art of the car deal with mitsu.

Strider
04-25-2019, 09:42 AM

custom user title lol master car sales negotiator

So with your amazing negotiating skill, How many thousands off did you get yours for?

Please post the play by play as your negotiating skills are phenomenal. Me wanna learn the art of the car deal with mitsu.

I must've missed another classic Beyond thread... link?

Mitsu3000gt
04-25-2019, 09:45 AM
It's not that i think it's weird, it's your bitching about all other vehicles you cant afford is overpriced yet a civic with leather is indeed ... overpriced.

you got 3k under msrp without rebate? well.. i doubt that. If that's the case, good for you i supposed.

You continue to read very selectively and ignore all my questions. I'll ask you again - what new car should I buy that gives me the same or more value (turbo motor w/same or more power, same or more options, same or more resale, etc.), for less money? I am genuinely interested in what these vehicles are. If you still can't think of anything then I guess it isn't really overpriced is it...

I wasn't bitching about anything, I just mentioned it because I thought it was subjectively funny. Every year I go to the Auto show and come away with subjective impressions of good/bad value, and mention them in the relevant thread like everyone else. I couldn't care less if someone wants to buy a $65K Jeep - time will tell if it's successful at that price. Also I think most people could afford those cars if they wanted to :dunno: It's simply a matter of where your priorities lie. This is Calgary, where everyone is already driving around in a BMW lease they can barely afford haha. I sold my S4 because I only drive around 10,000km/yr now and I don't need a ~$70K sports sedan to sit in rush hour traffic or a garage 99% of the time. If my driving situation changes, or if I move farther away from DT, I'll probably move back into a nicer vehicle.

And for the third time now, I agree with you that the car is overpriced at over $30K. You keep ignoring that little detail because it didn't fit your narrative. You have also ignored the fact that leather is not the only difference (arguably the least significant difference, certainly to me), but for some reason you seem to think leather alone is a $7K option in a Civic, so I can't help you there. You are clinging onto false information, and ignoring everything else because you don't have answers. We get it - you tried to use my car to make a point, it backfired, life goes on.

Such as?

As previously mentioned, there is nothing special about my negotiation skills whatsoever. I absolutely hate dealing with most dealerships, that is very well documented. In this case I made a single offer, was accepted, drove down and got vehicle. Extremely uneventful. I wish I had a better story for you.

LUDELVR
04-25-2019, 09:51 AM

Exactly!!! Now if someone would tell Ferrari, Lamborghini and all those other manufacturers, I wouldn't have be kicked out of that damn show 3 years in a row!

The two little guys, ages 3 and 4, were hopping in and out of the Porsches and they were having an awesome time!

max_boost
04-25-2019, 10:47 AM
You continue to read very selectively and ignore all my questions. I'll ask you again - what new car should I buy that gives me the same or more value (turbo motor w/same or more power, same or more options, same or more resale, etc.), for less money? I am genuinely interested in what these vehicles are. If you still can't think of anything then I guess it isn't really overpriced is it...

I wasn't bitching about anything, I just mentioned it because I thought it was subjectively funny. Every year I go to the Auto show and come away with subjective impressions of good/bad value, and mention them in the relevant thread like everyone else. I couldn't care less if someone wants to buy a $65K Jeep - time will tell if it's successful at that price. Also I think most people could afford those cars if they wanted to :dunno: It's simply a matter of where your priorities lie. This is Calgary, where everyone is already driving around in a BMW lease they can barely afford haha. I sold my S4 because I only drive around 10,000km/yr now and I don't need a ~$70K sports sedan to sit in rush hour traffic or a garage 99% of the time. If my driving situation changes, or if I move farther away from DT, I'll probably move back into a nicer vehicle.

And for the third time now, I agree with you that the car is overpriced at over $30K. You keep ignoring that little detail because it didn't fit your narrative. You have also ignored the fact that leather is not the only difference (arguably the least significant difference, certainly to me), but for some reason you seem to think leather alone is a $7K option in a Civic, so I can't help you there. You are clinging onto false information, and ignoring everything else because you don't have answers. We get it - you tried to use my car to make a point, it backfired, life goes on.

As previously mentioned, there is nothing special about my negotiation skills whatsoever. I absolutely hate dealing with most dealerships, that is very well documented. In this case I made a single offer, was accepted, drove down and got vehicle. Extremely uneventful. I wish I had a better story for you.
For your next car. Assuming you moving up from the civic.

Mitsu3000gt
04-25-2019, 10:48 AM
For your next car. Assuming you moving up from the civic.

If I do anything different negotiation-wise for my replacement, you'll be the first to know! Haha

rage2
04-25-2019, 11:35 AM
I still can't believe Leo has 2 kids.

ShermanEF9
04-26-2019, 08:59 AM
I still can't believe Leo has 2 kids.

I'm shocked Leo has only two kids.

rage2
04-26-2019, 09:13 AM
I'm shocked Leo has only two kids.
That's what I meant by my statement.

Tik-Tok