PDA

View Full Version : Selling a used car, what do I need to know?

ee2k
04-23-2019, 09:23 AM
I am selling a used car. What are the steps that I need to complete to ensure that this is done the right way (with all formalities completed?) The individual has made a deposit payment already via eTransfer, and they are coming in from out of province to buy.

A question that popped in my mind is, do I keep the license plate? If they are from out of province, how can they drive off without a license plate?

schurchill39
04-23-2019, 09:31 AM
All you need to do is sign a https://www.alberta.ca/standard-bill-sale.aspx (Bill of Sale) and you're good to go. Give them one copy and you keep one copy. You take the licence plate and your insurance and registration papers. They will more than likely either bring their own plate or get a "In Transit" pass, but thats on them to do and not your responsibility as the seller.

Shlade
04-23-2019, 09:40 AM
Don’t give anybody your plate. As stated sign over Alberta bill of sale with all necessary information. In special conditions etc on the second page you write SOLD AS IS. Meaning final sale no take backsies etc

It’s fairly easy. I had a guy come out from Quebec to buy my f150 lightning last May. Confirmed ID and everything in person. If he’s paying with a bank transfer make sure you get a receipt with it (unless you’re with the same bank then not a big deal) or go deposit with the person just to CYA

ee2k
04-23-2019, 10:02 AM
Thanks guys