PDA

View Full Version : How much do you pay for your HOA fees.?

apkking
04-29-2019, 12:35 PM
Just wondering how much do you guys pay for HOA fees in Calgary. I know that it differs from community to community. our community seems like managed by some Asset Management company.

Do they actually do anything in the community with that money or Is it just a waste of money. I think they will be getting like several hundred thousand dollars from a community with this, feels like a scam.

What is the legality behind this, if we dont end up paying the fees ? if you are paying how much are you paying for it.

Xtrema
04-29-2019, 12:39 PM
$205/yr in Hamptons

If you don't pay, a lien can be held against your property and it would be troublesome when you try to sell. You agree to this when you buy into a community.

https://nwcalgarylaw.com/home-owners-association-hoa-fees/

ercchry
04-29-2019, 12:41 PM
My community is purely voluntary, this is a new community thing, much higher in lake communities for obvious reasons.

You must pay, if you don’t you will when you sell the property (ask me how I know!)

Also if you don’t pay... you’ll end up paying much more as they can send it to a law firm to collect vs collections... which means you will be paying legal fees as well as the HOA fees

The whole point of these fees is to maintain property that is owned by the community and not the city, things like signs, community centres, gardens, parks, etc, etc

Gman.45
04-29-2019, 12:51 PM
Are HOA allowed to charge home owners who never had anything to do with HOA in their original contracts, if a HOA springs into existence post sale?

The reason I ask is we built one of the first few dozen homes in Cranston long ago. Sold it and moved years ago, but now I see most of the real estate adds for Cranston have HOA fees/warnings in the listings. We never had such a thing, but would new owners have to contribute now, or is the property "grandfathered in" or something like that, seeing as there was no HOA back in the late 90s/early 2000s for Cranston IIRC. Maybe it was incorporated into the original PIT payment (it was our first home), but I sure don't remember anything about it, and never wrote a check yearly for the 4 years we lived there.

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-29-2019, 12:54 PM
Are HOA allowed to charge home owners who never had anything to do with HOA in their original contracts, if a HOA springs into existence post sale?

The reason I ask is we built one of the first few dozen homes in Cranston long ago. Sold it and moved years ago, but now I see most of the real estate adds for Cranston have HOA fees/warnings in the listings. We never had such a thing, but would new owners have to contribute now, or is the property "grandfathered in" or something like that, seeing as there was no HOA back in the late 90s/early 2000s for Cranston IIRC. Maybe it was incorporated into the original PIT payment (it was our first home), but I sure don't remember anything about it, and never wrote a check yearly for the 4 years we lived there.

I don't know if this applies here, but this has been discussed a few times on Reddit, which means it's completely anecdotal, and second or third hand. From what I understand, if an HOA forms in your neighborhood, and you already own a house that's not part of an HOA, you can opt not to sign onto it, which means no fees can be collected from you. You lose out on any benefits, if there are any.

Asian_defender
04-29-2019, 12:56 PM
$100/year in sage hill. Ours is managed by Astoria
We just started this year

ExtraSlow
04-29-2019, 12:56 PM
My HOA fees have been stable at $0/mo for a long time.

G-ZUS
04-29-2019, 01:10 PM

+1

roopi
04-29-2019, 01:38 PM
$800/year for a lake community. I knew about it moving into the community so I don't care. The only time someone has a right to complain is if the fees started after they purchased in the community.

taemo
04-29-2019, 01:45 PM
70$ this year, was 40$ last year.
Skyview area

Team_Mclaren
04-29-2019, 01:46 PM
$100/year in sage hill. Ours is managed by Astoria
We just started this year

Do you know what we get out of it? lol I never understook these feeds

killramos
04-29-2019, 01:47 PM

+2

Glad I don’t have more taxes going toward garbage like setting up speed bumps etc in my community.

Ukyo8
04-29-2019, 01:50 PM
$315 - Crestmont

A2VR6
04-29-2019, 01:59 PM

+3, gotta love ancient neighborhoods haha

Buster
04-29-2019, 02:12 PM
$600/ year...but we live on the lake, so it's a bargain.

Ours association is known to be one of the better run ones in the city though. I looked into whether or not I should consider a board position and everyone already on it is more qualified than I am with related professions.

KPHMPH
04-29-2019, 02:44 PM
$450 in Mahogany.

I definitely use $450 of amenities throughout the year though.

schurchill39
04-29-2019, 03:05 PM
I pay ~$150/ year in Cranston but I have a smaller house.

killramos
04-29-2019, 03:10 PM
Does anyone know what you are really getting for what amounts to a second property tax on your home?

Lake I kind of get, but for a plain Jane cookie cutter community I don’t really get it. Not like these are gated communities with security employed or something like in the US ( now that is something I would pay for ).

88CRX
04-29-2019, 03:13 PM
Does anyone know what you are really getting for what amounts to a second property tax on your home?

Lake I kind of get, but for a plain Jane cookie cutter community I don’t really get it. Not like these are gated communities with security employed or something like in the US ( now that is something I would pay for ).

Lake, Community Center buidlings, Water/Splash Parks, Hockey Rinks, enhanced landscaping (flower pots and shit), snow removal on community paths, etc etc. It all adds up.

Lived in Copperfield and they had shit all so we paid nothing. Worked great haha.

ercchry
04-29-2019, 03:17 PM
When you walk the ridge in Cranston and see the sign saying “this pathway brought to you by :insert developer:” do you think they do that out of the kindness of their hearts?? :rofl:

Chandler_Racing
04-29-2019, 03:21 PM
$2,580 per year. They do extensive landscaping in the area, snow fall priority, pathways are cleared immediately of snow, etc.

Our common area/parks is kind of lame but it has a decent Tennis court. They also have underground sprinklers through-out the community.

It was $2,400 last year and the reserve fund was short so it got bumped up....

Asian_defender
04-29-2019, 03:27 PM
Do you know what we get out of it? lol I never understook these feeds

Can't get out of it. If you don't pay it they'll put a lien on your house.
I'll be attending the AGM on the 2nd. The put they've put together looks like BS to me

schocker
04-29-2019, 04:31 PM
Sage hill I am fine with it so they can pay someone to water the trees instead of having them die year after year.

C4S
04-29-2019, 05:12 PM
Shoot .. after reading this, I feel like ...being ripped off ... :(

speedog
04-29-2019, 06:19 PM
60+ year old community here, one doesn't have to pay any community asociation fees as they are voluntary but we always have ($35) as We see value in what our very active community association brings to the community. I can rent the community hall for next to nothing, we've borrowed chairs and tables for our block parties, just got our ODR completely rebuilt and many of the community events we've attended in the past were a blast. Also gives us a discount on using our community's outdoor pool. We can also use the community hall free of charge for a get together after a funeral, kind of an odd thing but still a bonus.

Masked Bandit
04-29-2019, 09:17 PM
$800/year for a lake community. I knew about it moving into the community so I don't care. The only time someone has a right to complain is if the fees started after they purchased in the community.

Really? We're at $325 in Chaparral.

roopi
04-29-2019, 09:30 PM
Really? We're at $325 in Chaparral.

Yes in Mahogany. It's a tiered system that ranges from about $400-$1200 I believe.

jaeden
04-29-2019, 09:38 PM
Also in Mahogany. Fees started around $450 when we moved in and have crept slowly upward. Fees are even higher for homes with private lake access paths or on the lakeside. I'd consider it worth it for what we get, having kids and using the facilities a fair bit. They are just stocking the lake with trout again this weekend.

Masked Bandit
04-30-2019, 07:19 AM
Yes in Mahogany. It's a tiered system that ranges from about $400-$1200 I believe.

Also in Mahogany. Fees started around $450 when we moved in and have crept slowly upward. Fees are even higher for homes with private lake access paths or on the lakeside. I'd consider it worth it for what we get, having kids and using the facilities a fair bit. They are just stocking the lake with trout again this weekend.

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think Chaparral tiers the fees. When we moved in 11 years ago it was $250 so it hasn't moved at all. Having the lake when you have kids is fantastic, swimming & beach in the summer, skating in the winter...you could triple our fees and it would still be worth it.

rage2
04-30-2019, 08:16 AM
$260 in Arbour Lake. It’s low here because Mrs Hawkwood gave a boat load of money to the community when she sold the land to the city here.

Lex350
04-30-2019, 01:54 PM
$205/yr in Hamptons

If you don't pay, a lien can be held against your property and it would be troublesome when you try to sell. You agree to this when you buy into a community.

https://nwcalgarylaw.com/home-owners-association-hoa-fees/

Same sort of thing in Royal Oak (Cascades) $200/yr _+ tax.

rx7boi
04-30-2019, 02:57 PM
Can't get out of it. If you don't pay it they'll put a lien on your house.
I'll be attending the AGM on the 2nd. The put they've put together looks like BS to me

Sage hill I am fine with it so they can pay someone to water the trees instead of having them die year after year.

I think the wife and I dropped the ball on this. I don't recall getting any letters asking us to pay the $105 fee.

There were billboards along Shaganappi but I pretty much ignored them since I've never given any thought to joining any HOA.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-30-2019, 04:02 PM
$2,580 per year.

Holy shit. Not sure if incredibly upscale neighborhood, or terribly inefficient HOA, or both.

vengie
04-30-2019, 04:05 PM
We pay $475/yr in Auburn Bay

schocker
04-30-2019, 04:13 PM
I think the wife and I dropped the ball on this. I don't recall getting any letters asking us to pay the $105 fee.

There were billboards along Shaganappi but I pretty much ignored them since I've never given any thought to joining any HOA.

You should have got something from "Astoria Asset Management Ltd." in Airdre. Looked like BS as it was just "Current Homeowner or Current Homeowner"

rx7boi
04-30-2019, 05:40 PM
You should have got something from "Astoria Asset Management Ltd." in Airdre. Looked like BS as it was just "Current Homeowner or Current Homeowner"

I vaguely recall getting that letter but it's very possible that we just tossed it for the reasons you just mentioned haha.

I found the link online to pay the fees but it won't let me register.

https://astoriamanagement.securecafe.com/residentservices/apartmentsforrent/userlogin.aspx

Chandler_Racing
05-01-2019, 08:33 AM
Holy shit. Not sure if incredibly upscale neighborhood, or terribly inefficient HOA, or both.

The HOA is inefficient.

With that said it is an upscale area and they do more than traditional communities.

rx7boi
05-01-2019, 04:54 PM
Asian_defender schocker

I am now $105 poorer. On the bright side now I can bug them about snow removal along 144 Ave when I'm walking the dog there during the winter :rofl:

Asian_defender
05-01-2019, 05:05 PM
rx7boi
Theres an AGM meeting tomorrow at the sage hill old folks home if you want a say in the budgets. They look like a copy and paste and theres no logic to some of it. It's at 645pm

schocker
05-01-2019, 11:09 PM
Asian_defender schocker

I am now $105 poorer. On the bright side now I can bug them about snow removal along 144 Ave when I'm walking the dog there during the winter :rofl:

From what it sounds like on the sage hill facebook page, they sound pretty incompetent but the residents can't vote them out and do their own thing for a couple years.
I just want the trees by me to last a full summer for once. Probably a good idea to check out the bylaws as well.

Asian_defender
05-02-2019, 01:03 PM
From what it sounds like on the sage hill facebook page, they sound pretty incompetent but the residents can't vote them out and do their own thing for a couple years.
I just want the trees by me to last a full summer for once. Probably a good idea to check out the bylaws as well.

I will be there tonight, most people haven't paid the fees or threw it out as it was only addressed to 'Current homeowner'
I thought it was spam until I checked out the sage hill facebook page

nj2Type-S
05-02-2019, 01:15 PM
ok, so after reading this thread, maybe $450+ isn't too bad lol! i'm in riverstone.

BigDL
05-02-2019, 01:20 PM

They just started so I am not surprised nothing has happened yet. If you built in Nolan/Sage it should be been disclosed by the builder, it is also part of our land title.

rx7boi
05-03-2019, 07:55 PM

I will be there tonight, most people haven't paid the fees or threw it out as it was only addressed to 'Current homeowner'

If I had a choice I wouldn't be paying but it sounds like these HOA put liens on houses that don't pay up.

botox
05-06-2019, 11:28 AM
$205/yr in Hamptons
Mine is $210? Maybe my view of the gas station costs $5 more?

I probably did this and ended up emailing them to send me the invoice.

If I had a choice I wouldn't be paying but it sounds like these HOA put liens on houses that don't pay up.

Funny we were talking about this with a some people and it surprised me how many said they didn't care about the lien and weren't going to pay it. This is people making over $100k/yr. Or am I wrong and this does not affect your credit? Call it being a sheep or whatever but I enjoy being complacent and always pay it.

roopi
05-06-2019, 11:40 AM
Funny we were talking about this with a some people and it surprised me how many said they didn't care about the lien and weren't going to pay it. This is people making over $100k/yr. Or am I wrong and this does not affect your credit? Call it being a sheep or whatever but I enjoy being complacent and always pay it.

I don't think it affects your credit but it will cause issues if you ever try to sell your house. I'm sure they are also charging 18-20% interest on the accounts.

speedog
05-06-2019, 07:23 PM
18-20% - I need to get in on that action.

ExtraSlow
05-09-2019, 07:28 PM
Do any of the Calgary HOA fees enforce bylaws about type and condition of vehicles? Seems to be a common issue in the USA. I see stories on it regularly.

Here is just one : https://jalopnik.com/missouri-hoa-threatens-to-foreclose-on-truck-owners-hou-1834620421

A790
05-09-2019, 07:56 PM
$400/yr in New Brighton.

98brg2d
05-16-2019, 08:31 AM
Do any of the Calgary HOA fees enforce bylaws about type and condition of vehicles? Seems to be a common issue in the USA. I see stories on it regularly.

Here is just one : https://jalopnik.com/missouri-hoa-threatens-to-foreclose-on-truck-owners-hou-1834620421

I doubt you will find much in Canada that is similar to how litigious USA HOAs are. The big reason being that Canadian municipalities generally have pretty strong zoning and bylaws whereas American municipalities often have very property-rights oriented ordnance (aka bylaws) and the current solution to not having your property value and quality of life tanked by a jack-ass neighbour is to live in a community with an HOA.