PDA

View Full Version : Need Asian help - school this honky on rice cookers

ExtraSlow
05-01-2019, 05:17 PM
Call my Asian brothers and sisters! I'll start at the beginning. I've had this rice cooker for years, more than a decade for sure. I bought this somewhere in Chinatown, maybe hing wah imports, and went with the extra-legit rose pattern. 5.5 cup in case I have a party. Figured that's what old Chinese grandmothers would choose, and they are what I aspire to be. In the beginning, it was a simpler time, and I was happy.

These days, the little cup that catches the runoff doesn't stay put, so I use a veggie elastic (pictured) to hold it in place. That's no biggie. The problem I find is that I'm getting a pretty firm crust of gunk in the bottom of the pot every time I use it. I've tried rinsing the rice, using more water, less water, different rice, and so far, none of it makes any damned difference.

So, what's the deal? The pot doesn't seem scratched or damaged, what could be causing the difference in outcome? Do I need to improve my technique? Do I need a new cooker? What, in short, the fuck, is up?

J.M.
05-01-2019, 05:28 PM
https://spare-parts.tiger-corporation.com/collections/electric-rice-cooker/products/jaz-a10u-jaz-a18u-dew-collector?variant=16794059329

What's your rice cooking technique?

heavyfuel
05-01-2019, 06:02 PM
Extra, you're doing it all wrong. Us crackers don't need rice cookers. Just a good old pot, 2:1 water/rice ratio, thoroughly rinse the rice in hot water, bring to a violent boil, turn the heat to low and cover, 15-20 minutes she's fluffier than our prime minister.

ExtraSlow
05-01-2019, 06:15 PM
What's your rice cooking technique? I put in 1 cup of rice, and 2 cups of water and close the lid, then flip the switch to "cook" setting. when it pops up to "warm" I eat the rice.

TomcoPDR
05-01-2019, 06:32 PM
It sounds like the non stick coating has worn off

ExtraSlow
05-01-2019, 06:52 PM
It sounds like the non stick coating has worn off

It's pretty old, so maybe.

speedog
05-01-2019, 07:07 PM
Extra, you're doing it all wrong. Us crackers don't need rice cookers. Just a good old pot, 2:1 water/rice ratio, thoroughly rinse the rice in hot water, bring to a violent boil, turn the heat to low and cover, 15-20 minutes she's fluffier than our prime minister.

This is the way this old fart does rice but these days I'd rather eat quinoa.

Asian_defender
05-01-2019, 08:25 PM
Username checks out for this thread
+1 for the non stick coating
Try taking vinegar and boil it in the pot. If it comes out cloudy you just have a buildup on starch
If it comes out clear try seasoning the pot again. You basically boil vegetable oil in it. Dont be shy if you're seasoning it. Let the oil boil

A790
05-01-2019, 08:42 PM
Try taking vinegar and boil it in the pot. If it comes out cloudy you just have a buildup on starch
If it comes out clear try seasoning the pot again. You basically boil vegetable oil in it. Dont be shy if you're seasoning it. Let the oil boil

Username checks out. This guy's legit.

ExtraSlow
05-01-2019, 08:50 PM
Wow, you can season non-stick coatings? First I've heard of it, but I'm for sure no expert. Will try your suggestions out.

heavyfuel
05-01-2019, 09:06 PM

Sounds like a big production for something as simple as rice LOL testing for buildup on starch? How about just washing the thing regularly?

I never use oil or a non stick pot and not one single grain sticks.

Disoblige
05-01-2019, 09:14 PM
I put in 1 cup of rice, and 2 cups of water and close the lid, then flip the switch to "cook" setting. when it pops up to "warm" I eat the rice.
Isn't there a cup that is provided and all you do is fill the pot with water to the line depending how many cups you put in? Follow that ratio.

TomcoPDR
05-01-2019, 09:15 PM
I use the 1 finger test for water

Asian_defender
05-01-2019, 10:13 PM
Sounds like a big production for something as simple as rice LOL testing for buildup on starch? How about just washing the thing regularly?

I never use oil or a non stick pot and not one single grain sticks.

Hey man, over time that shit builds up. It's really not that complicated, you put in vinegar and press the button. I have a bigger version of what OP has and I would never want to part with mine. Hes even got the same rice scooper as me LOL

ThePenIsMightier
05-01-2019, 10:17 PM
This thread delivers. Rice cookers should only be for the whitest, laziest, wife-blesser trailer trash anywhere. Yet, the only place I've seen them used is by Asians...
I'd have to dig my recipe up but it's flawless and it sounds 99% like HeavyFuel's.
Rice cookers seem to be more work than simply making rice plus now you've devoted your shelves to more gimmicky crap with a dome lid guaranteeing you can't stack another pointless kitchen appliance (quesadilla maker - I'm looking your way) on top of it. Again, another idiotic thing only white people are afflicted with. Yet for some reason not.
My dearest mathlete Asian geniuses - WHY??!

speedog
05-02-2019, 06:15 AM
I use the 1 finger test for water

Please provide banana for reference.

heavyfuel
05-02-2019, 06:39 AM
Hey man, over time that shit builds up. It's really not that complicated, you put in vinegar and press the button. I have a bigger version of what OP has and I would never want to part with mine. Hes even got the same rice scooper as me LOL

Well yaaa lol over time shit builds up on dirty dishes too...Frigg maybe I'm a little bit fucked up here but it just seems to me that anything you use to cook with gets washed after each use lol Like ThePen said, waste of space, over complicated, and ultimately unnecessary.

Italians invented rice anyways so we know the real deal lol

tonytiger55
05-02-2019, 07:36 AM
https://www.reddit.com/r/aww/comments/bjs336/here_some_perfectly_cooked_rice/

ExtraSlow
05-02-2019, 07:49 AM
Thanks Raj, that puts it all in perspective.

Like all beyond threads, people are answering a question not asked.

Q: I like my rice cooker, but need help getting peak performance
A: Rice cookers are stupid, don't use one.

tonytiger55
05-02-2019, 08:09 AM
Thanks Raj, that puts it all in perspective.

Like all beyond threads, people are answering a question not asked.

Pretty much.

Does your rice cooker have a rubber like seal? If it does, that would be my starting point.

A while back I got donated a rice cooker by a family member. The bottom part of the rice always got burned. Setting it up and cleaning was more work. I ended up going back to HeaveyFuels method. Its easier to make without.

Xtrema
05-02-2019, 09:19 AM

AD got it covered. If you do have to buy a new one, be aware yours is a Japanese model which probably why it last as long as it did. Not all Tigers are now made in Japan.

Stove is reserved for cooking food that goes with/on rice. Using stove to cook rice is a waste of space and time.

Also when your diet could potentially 3 meals of rice a day, a set it and forget it gadget saves a lot of time.

tonytiger55
05-02-2019, 09:27 AM
AD got it covered. If you do have to buy a new one, be aware yours is a Japanese model which probably why it last as long as it did. Not all Tigers are now made in Japan.

Stove is reserved for cooking food that goes with/on rice. Using stove to cook rice is a waste of space and time.

Also when your diet could potentially 3 meals of rice a day, a set it and forget it gadget saves a lot of time.

Out of curiosity, do Asians have to have the rice freshly made with every meal? Is the rice washed prior to using the rice cooker?

ExtraSlow
05-02-2019, 09:28 AM
We aren't eating rice three times a day, but three times a week anyway. It may be a "gadget", but we make good use of it, and I have no desire to go to the stovetop method.

Did the vinegar boil, came out totally clean as expected. I do wash it every time I use it.

If it came down to it, I'd be totally satisfied buying a new one.

dj_rice
05-02-2019, 09:31 AM
Out of curiosity, do Asians have to have the rice freshly made with every meal? Is the rice washed prior to using the rice cooker?

Yes, I wash my rice 3-4 times until the liquid is somewhat clear.

And no to freshly made rice. But when we make rice, we make big batches and then eat the leftover rice in the next few days as well. Rice 24/7. Unless your doing small batch rice cooking for every meal. I make 3 cups of rice everytime I cook rice and it covers my lunch/dinner for next couple days

ExtraSlow
05-02-2019, 09:35 AM
OK, washing the rice. How much does this matter? what's the procedure to wash the rice? Do you want to soak it first?

Xtrema
05-02-2019, 09:47 AM

Yes. I think Gen X and younger can tolerate less and diet is more diverse. My folks' generation (70+) must have rice at every meal.

OK, washing the rice. How much does this matter? what's the procedure to wash the rice? Do you want to soak it first?

DJ_rice's washing method is fine. Depends on the quality of rice, soaking may make them too soggy and may have adjust cooking time/water level.

I soak brown rice tho, I find them too rough otherwise.

Strider
05-02-2019, 10:14 AM
Rice cookers seem to be more work than simply making rice plus now you've devoted your shelves to more gimmicky crap with a dome lid guaranteeing you can't stack another pointless kitchen appliance [...]
No time to stand around babysitting a pot of rice on the stove, too much math to do.

Strider
05-02-2019, 10:18 AM

Soaking anywhere between 12-48 hours allegedly improves the texture of the cooked rice and reduces arsenic levels in the rice. ymmv, I've personally don't have the foresight to start soaking rice a full day before I intend to eat it.

Washing is simply a matter of agitating the rice in the rice cooker pot under running water for 3-4 rinses until the water is clear.

dj_rice
05-02-2019, 10:26 AM

I've never soaked white rice before unless it was sushi rice. I'd imagine soaking the rice would make a very mushy texture.

As for washing it, you can wash it in the same rice cooker pot or whatever container desired. Turn on tap, fill pot with water till it covers the rice, move the rice back and forth in the water with your hands. Drain water. Repeat a few more times. If your using Uncle Bens rice, you do not need to wash :)

And washing the rice should be done and a must if your using the Asian bagged white sack rice. Just to wash off whatevers on it, you'll see when you wash. You can eat the rice un-washed as well, no ill effects. But I've been taught to wash rice growing up Asian.

If you do need a new one, Costco sells the Tiger new style ones. Thats where I got mine. Its a 3-1 with steamer basket. Has many modes for whatever style rice your cooking/can make porridge/brown rice/quick rice. Does the job. And decent price. My JDM friends have the Zojirushi ones that are expensive AF, when finished cooking, you get a cute lil music notification, never tried rice from these machines so I bet they make amazing rice at $200+ for one

This is the one I have from Costco. I'll check if its made in Japan or not. But it was on sale for $129 when I bought it. Can cook 10 cups when you have family over. This one doesn't give you the hard burnt crunchy layer at the bottom after cooking rice like the old school Tiger one button ones.
http://costcocouple.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Tiger-10-cup-Rice-Cooker-Costco-3.jpg

Asian_defender
05-02-2019, 11:11 AM
My buddy has a Zojirushi and its amazing, I think they're worth the money if you eat rice often. My next rice cooker will definitely be a Zojirushi

Edit:

Just noticed, The guy above me has the right username for this thread

msommers
05-02-2019, 11:27 AM
I still have the same rice cooker as OP and rice just tastes better out of it than I could ever get on the stove with a pot. Set it and forget it!

heavyfuel
05-02-2019, 11:27 AM
Mind=blown at how over complicated ya’ll are making this. Smh lol

tonytiger55
05-02-2019, 11:39 AM
What kind of rice do you guys use..? Basmati, Jasmine etc?

Asian_defender
05-02-2019, 11:48 AM
Cock brand

This is the NA version

TomcoPDR
05-02-2019, 11:57 AM
I miss this brand, so classy

https://i.ibb.co/pwHsbg0/D4-C617-F2-6722-472-A-B878-CC238-A2938-FD.jpg

89coupe
05-02-2019, 03:00 PM
I have this, it’s awesome! As for rice, different types for different dishes. They all cook perfect in this cooker.

msommers
05-02-2019, 03:38 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

dj_rice
05-02-2019, 04:06 PM
I have this, it’s awesome! As for rice, different types for different dishes. They all cook perfect in this cooker.

Wow. A pressure cooker rice cooker. Impressive. I guess that saves counter space since its 2 in 1. I have a separate rice cooker and a separate InstaPot pressure cooker.

Kg810
05-02-2019, 04:08 PM
+1 for washing rice till water is clear

+1 for Zojirushi rice cookers. Was previously using Tiger but man Zojirushi makes such good rice.

https://www.amazon.ca/Zojirushi-NS-TSC10-Cooker-Uncooked-Stainless/dp/B0074CDG6C/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=2W3ZRNKJC5GIM&keywords=zojirushi+rice+cooker&qid=1556834703&s=gateway&sprefix=zojirushi+r&sr=8-1

ExtraSlow
05-02-2019, 04:20 PM
I'll do a few rounds of well-washed rice and see if that helps. I'm not new at making rice or using this rice cooker, but every little bit helps. Maybe I had a bag with more "dust" in it than normal?

I'm also 100% sure I'm not buying a $200 appliance. Maybe if I ate rice every day, but holy hell.

killramos
05-02-2019, 04:27 PM
I bought a black and decker rice cooker at crappy tire for 12 dollars 5 or 6 years ago.

Works great.

dj_rice
05-02-2019, 04:29 PM
I'll do a few rounds of well-washed rice and see if that helps. I'm not new at making rice or using this rice cooker, but every little bit helps. Maybe I had a bag with more "dust" in it than normal?

I'm also 100% sure I'm not buying a $200 appliance. Maybe if I ate rice every day, but holy hell.

Along with a good machine, the brand/rice you buy matters as well. My parents stock pile rice when it goes on sale so every now and then I visit Calgary and grab supplies, I had ran out and grabbed some T & T branded rice and def could tell the different in quality. I still dont know which best brand to buy

Asian_defender
05-02-2019, 04:33 PM
Along with a good machine, the brand/rice you buy matters as well. My parents stock pile rice when it goes on sale so every now and then I visit Calgary and grab supplies, I had ran out and grabbed some T & T branded rice and def could tell the different in quality. I still dont know which best brand to buy

If you're at T&T try Ox brand, they always have it in stock. I find it cooks much better than the T and T brand

Xtrema
05-02-2019, 04:57 PM
I still dont know which best brand to buy

Doesn't matter, they all have bad batches.

My usual go to is Golden Pheonix.
https://heavenlyrice.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/SHC_golden-phoenix_hom-mali-rice_5kg-500x500.jpg

Next up is Ox Head.

Last choice would be T&T.

And the reason you want to wash rice thoroughly if it is sourced from Asia:

back then, rice needed a rinse to remove this talc. Most white rice grown in the U.S. is no longer milled that way, but some imported rices have been processed with talc, powdered glucose, or rice powder (all safe to eat, but still).

Mind=blown at how over complicated ya’ll are making this. Smh lol

Let me put it this way, you have a toaster right? What don't you just hang them over the stove? :D

heavyfuel
05-02-2019, 05:09 PM
The good ole 817 is my official rice.

https://i.ibb.co/YDZRTTh/41-Gel-Gn-Dn-PL.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

heavyfuel
05-02-2019, 05:33 PM
Doesn't matter, they all have bad batches

Let me put it this way, you have a toaster right? What don't you just hang them over the stove? :D

I have a toaster, strictly for guests because I barely eat any bread lol

HHURICANE1
05-02-2019, 09:14 PM
I bought a black and decker rice cooker at crappy tire for 12 dollars 5 or 6 years ago.

Works great.

I had 2 of these. Always the burned crap at the bottom. Folks had one too, same thing. Got tired of it and bought a Zojirushi and have never looked back. Great rice every time and never burned even after leaving it on warm for a couple hours. Cooks brown and white rice perfectly.