PDA

View Full Version : WWYD? Business VS Economy class, Layover VS Direct

Tik-Tok
05-11-2019, 10:24 AM
We're planning a trip to Maui next year as we have enough Aeroplan points for the flights. Myself, wife, and 4 year old daughter. We have enough points to either fly direct to Maui, and direct back in economy... ORRR, we have enough points to fly to YVR economy, and then from YVR to Maui in Business class (and vice versa on the way back).

Which one would you pick? I'm pretty on the fence about it. Direct flights are great, but I've never flown business class before so that's kind of appealing too. Plus I'm not sure which will be better for a kid, just having her sit there for 7-1/2 hours, or break up the flight a bit with the 90 minute layover, and then 6-1/2 hour flight in a bigger comfier seat. She's pretty well behaved, but not perfect.

pheoxs
05-11-2019, 10:33 AM
With a kid I'd do the two flights, especially since its not adding that much time to the overall trip.

Buster
05-11-2019, 10:56 AM
Direct. Time is more valuable than leg room and a free meal.

killramos
05-11-2019, 11:03 AM
And if you connect and something fucks up with the plane you are stuck in some random cities airport hotel on your time off.

Compared to direct you are either at home or at your destination, either of which you can live with.

ExtraSlow
05-11-2019, 11:10 AM

Direct for sure.

ThePenIsMightier
05-11-2019, 11:38 AM
Direct.
Also -1 for Hawaii and +1 for Southern California. Closer and cheaper.

dirtsniffer
05-11-2019, 12:07 PM
Direct

Brent.ff
05-11-2019, 12:30 PM
Direct. The additional boarding and departure negates any time off plane for the kid

bjstare
05-11-2019, 02:38 PM
Direct.
Also -1 for Hawaii and +1 for Southern California. Closer and cheaper.

That's the only way they are even comparable. Literally everything else is better in Hawaii. Like by a massive margin.

Tik-Tok
05-11-2019, 04:11 PM

This is true, however I guess another part of the equation is arrival time.

Comfy class departs early in the AM, and arrives at 1pm Maui time, cattle class doesn't depart until mid afternoon and arrives at 7pm. So that's 2 hours of extra time getting there, but 6 hours extra actually being there.

Sugarphreak
05-11-2019, 04:24 PM

Tik-Tok
05-11-2019, 04:28 PM
So, I should put my wife and kid in economy, and take the bigger seat and free booze for myself? I like this plan.

Buster
05-11-2019, 05:38 PM
Kids in business class? Should be a minimum age limit IMO

I take first class to avoid the annoyance personally

Sorry not much help, haha. Less time on the flight is probably better though, not like kids benefit from even larger seats and free booze anyway.

who flies First Class direct from YVR to hawaii?

killramos
05-11-2019, 05:56 PM
who flies First Class direct from YVR to hawaii?

Apparently no one, hence why the flight is so cheap on points.

Sugarphreak
05-11-2019, 07:05 PM

speedog
05-11-2019, 08:20 PM
So, I should put my wife and kid in economy, and take the bigger seat and free booze for myself? I like this plan.

Yeah, I know that would've never been okay with my wife. Do it and let us all know what she thought of the idea.

rage2
05-11-2019, 08:33 PM
I fly business with kids whenever the opportunity presents itself. Non stop service for drinks and snacks, enough room where they can’t kick the seats, they’re basically silent the entire flight.

Sugarphreak
05-11-2019, 09:04 PM

finboy
05-12-2019, 07:48 PM
Direct, and arriving in the evening if possible to help reset the clock as fast as possible

taemo
05-12-2019, 07:55 PM
fly mid-week instead of weekend.. return flights are usually empty
we had 2 rows of seats all for ourselves.

benyl
05-12-2019, 10:49 PM
Direct, especially on the way back.

I’ve done this trip many times, both ways and with kids. Direct.

RX_EVOLV
05-13-2019, 09:43 AM
Do they have lay flats on flight to Hawaii via Van or Direct? or it's just extra wide seats? Cause Air Canada only has the Rouge going to .. Oahu at least.

A friend came to my Oahu wedding last year and he said he had to take a connecting flight via Denver or Seattle or something with United just so he can get a lay flat. Apparently he refuses to do non-lay flat for any flights over 5 hours.

killramos
05-13-2019, 09:53 AM
AC is just very nice Business class to Maui

But they were all Max 8’s last I checked, so no idea what planes they are using now.

Tik-Tok
05-13-2019, 10:12 AM
AC is just very nice Business class to Maui

But they were all Max 8’s last I checked, so no idea what planes they are using now.

They aren't flying direct at the moment. Everything has a layover in a US west coast city, with a connecting flight on another airline.

benyl
05-19-2019, 03:20 PM

I take first class to avoid the annoyance personally

Haha, not one but two kids!

prae
05-20-2019, 10:08 PM
Direct all day. I did AC direct to OGG with a 1y/o and it wasn't bad at all. I wouldn't want the hassle of connecting flights

rage2
05-21-2019, 08:46 AM
Socks and sandals in business class. Way to represent. :thumbsup:

Sugarphreak
05-22-2019, 08:38 AM

RX_EVOLV
05-22-2019, 09:30 AM
Is it usually cheaper to book business class ahead of time during seat sale, or you upgrade during check-in or at the gate if they have availability ?

Mitsu3000gt
05-22-2019, 09:38 AM
If the layover was short in Vancouver, personally I'd rather have 1hr economy and 6 hr business than 7 hour economy direct. Especially since most flights to Hawaii seem to get in late at night, you wouldn't really be wasting vacation time.

rage2
05-22-2019, 02:27 PM
Is it usually cheaper to book business class ahead of time during seat sale, or you upgrade during check-in or at the gate if they have availability ?
Generally speaking from my experience, it’s most expensive to just book business, even during business seat sales. Next cheaper option would be bidding on it after booking (AC upgrade bid or whatever). After that would be your absolute last minute upgrade at the gate which is the cheapest option without leveraging upgrade points. Past that, it’s the upgrade with eupgrade points (typically free but there’s added cost on long hauls). Then once in a while, to make room for standby, you get bumped up for absolutely no reason other than having higher status than the next guy at zero cost to points or cash.

Posting from Lufthansa business where I got upgraded free today. :D

Also remember that the lowest fare classes do not allow for upgrades, regardless of price, points or status.

Mitsu3000gt
05-23-2019, 10:11 AM
Generally speaking from my experience, it’s most expensive to just book business, even during business seat sales. Next cheaper option would be bidding on it after booking (AC upgrade bid or whatever). After that would be your absolute last minute upgrade at the gate which is the cheapest option without leveraging upgrade points. Past that, it’s the upgrade with eupgrade points (typically free but there’s added cost on long hauls). Then once in a while, to make room for standby, you get bumped up for absolutely no reason other than having higher status than the next guy at zero cost to points or cash.

Posting from Lufthansa business where I got upgraded free today. :D

Also remember that the lowest fare classes do not allow for upgrades, regardless of price, points or status.

What is the minimum allowable bid usually for AC business/pod upgrade? I am having trouble remembering but last time we flew to London direct I think it was minimum $2400 per person per way but that could have just been their offer to me for an upgrade, I forget now.

rage2
05-23-2019, 05:27 PM
It depends on the segment and maybe booking class as well. My typical YYC to Frankfurt is $800 minimum.

Mitsu3000gt
05-24-2019, 09:04 AM
It depends on the segment and maybe booking class as well. My typical YYC to Frankfurt is $800 minimum.

That's actually not too bad for a pod. The number I was remembering must have been an outright upgrade price offered to me, rather than a minimum bid.

Kobe
05-24-2019, 09:11 AM
And if you connect and something fucks up with the plane you are stuck in some random cities airport hotel on your time off.

Compared to direct you are either at home or at your destination, either of which you can live with.

And if the tickets are together the airline pays for your food+ hotels so it's not that bad...+ the next flight...(most airlines)

benyl
05-24-2019, 11:13 AM
And if the tickets are together the airline pays for your food+ hotels so it's not that bad...+ the next flight...(most airlines)

Depends on who's fault it is and which airline. Sometime you get stuck and you have to pay for it.

roopi
05-24-2019, 01:42 PM
You guys are doing it wrong. If you fly Sunwing the champagne is free. I'm a champagne Sommelier and I'm pretty sure it's Dom.