PDA

View Full Version : US holding house

5gluder
03-29-2004, 12:40 PM
Hey,

I'm thinking of buying some speakers from the states, the website offers free shipping in the states. Now this turn out to be a pretty good deal if you live in the states. I remember reading about a Holding house in Montana and was wondering if anyone has used it? how did you go about shipping and picking it up? were there any fees?

I found the location of the holing house:
Chief Mountain Junction
Junction Highway 17 & 89
Babb MT 59411

Thanks

1badPT
03-29-2004, 12:56 PM
Remailers aren't cheap. They charge a fee for remailing plus the remailing costs. You usually do better to get the company to ship it directly to you. Remailers are usually best kept for businesses who refuse to ship outside the US.

http://www.douwantit.com/web/home.do?agentChecked=true

This site is alright for shopping in the US since they do instant price quotes which include shipping, exchange, etc. all quoted in CDN dollars.

5gluder
03-29-2004, 01:04 PM
I'm actually thinking of having the speakers sent to the holding house and then drive down to pick them up.

Weapon_R
03-29-2004, 01:34 PM
It's free to pick them up. Just make sure that they are there, and drive down. Make sure you have a receipt, because customs will charge you GST when you drive back.

5gluder
03-29-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
It's free to pick them up. Just make sure that they are there, and drive down. Make sure you have a receipt, because customs will charge you GST when you drive back.

Have you actually done this? how did it work? do you have to call the holding house?

Weapon_R
03-29-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by 5gluder

Have you actually done this? how did it work? do you have to call the holding house?

Yes, I picked up my wheels from there.

I asked Buh_Buh for the address and had it shipped there. It was a 2.5hr drive down there.

The lady who shipped my wheels called the holding house and confirmed that they were indeed there, and called me to let me know. I drove down there and picked it up. It's exactly like driving to the post office and getting your package from there. It's a remote post office in the middle of nowhere and it says "United States Postal Office". I gave her some ID and loaded them into my car. It's about 10kms from the border.

As I drove back, the CDN customs official asked me what I did, and how long I was there for. I told him I picked up my wheels, and he asked for receipts. All I had was the ebay auction transaction, and I showed it to him. $40 later and I was on my way again. Total cost: About $70 (mcdicks, gas, and taxes). Total cost for my previous wheels which were shipped over the border by UPS - $320.

You decide :)