PDA

View Full Version : 90s Fast N Furious style mods coming back?

370Z
05-20-2019, 11:43 AM
I check in everyday on the reddit 370z page and have noticed one thing... seems like a lot of members like to ooo and ahhhhhh at mods posted that look like something that a lot of us used to do to our cars back in the 90s... it's actually quite concerning lol now I know the 90s are all the rage now but wow, some of this coming back really needs to stay in the past.

Here's what I've seen:
Big gawdy rear spoilers
Transformer looking body kits..
Loud as you get exhausts

More or an amusing observation than anything... how much longer will this last, because it needs to stop. :facepalm:... even worse, seems like 99% of these kids are only opting for automatics too. Fully built automatic 370z's with 90s style cosmetic changes , the end of the world is near.

adam c
05-20-2019, 11:47 AM
Maybe I'm being nostalgic but I wouldn't mind seeing it come back, I wouldn't participate but at least it would show the car scene is returning

killramos
05-20-2019, 11:49 AM
I think broadening your horizons from 370’s would help lol

Nothing screams stuck in the 90’s like driving a Nissan...

D'z Nutz
05-20-2019, 11:55 AM
I was changing my wiper blades last weekend and suddenly remembered the single wiper arm mods from the 90's haha

nismodrifter
05-20-2019, 12:11 PM
Saw a Civic with Racing Hart C5's on it just two weeks ago. Hit me right in the feels.

Niche wheels are still around, they make some nice ones from the looks of it, they ain't no shocking shocks though.

370Z
05-20-2019, 12:15 PM
I think broadening your horizons from 370’s would help lol

Nothing screams stuck in the 90’s like driving a Nissan...

Haha funny you mention that, I am currently selling my 370z due to way too many young kids driving them now and customizing them

Not sure what to replace it with though... maybe a Cayman if I can find a used one in my budget.

Misterman
05-21-2019, 06:54 AM
I think it's more a sign of the time frame of the car. That all started happening years ago with the 350z. As these cars that were once considered great enthusiast cars get old enough that they become affordable to the younger generation, then you start seeing the gawdy mods happen to them. That's just what kids do.

nzwasp
05-21-2019, 06:56 AM
I was in Boston the other week and there were a whole lot of ads and billboards advertising K&N Filters, it brought me back 15 years

ExtraSlow
05-21-2019, 06:59 AM
Saw a sick explorer with underglow lights this weekend. Flashing red and blue.

blairtruck
05-21-2019, 07:30 AM
Edmonton reddit had a dude asking where to get underglow kits the other day. fast and furious is back.

dirtsniffer
05-21-2019, 07:50 AM
With led lights now the kits are probably sweet. I always found that the light was too focused with the old style. Led can probably balance the light and get it to a lot more places.

Anyone see a Silverado 1500 with it? Haha.

Edit: this could be me!

ExtraSlow
05-21-2019, 08:19 AM

BavarianBeast
05-21-2019, 08:28 AM
Spotted this weekend in peachland. If anyone is looking for something to do next May long weekend. Check out their world of wheels car show. One of the best car shows I’ve been to.

Chantastic
05-21-2019, 07:43 PM
370's are still pretty expensive for younger folks - I'm surprised I don't see more 350's all horribly modified. I barely even see 370's. But I do see alot of older, G35 coupes that look they are just downright beaten and abused. And then modified.

Masked Bandit
05-22-2019, 08:37 AM
I don't know about 370's specifically, the guy on our street is a chiropractor so modding isn't really his game...lol. I will say though there seems to be a resurgence of degens with fart cans and over revving coming to corners in a playground zone by my house. Complete with all the Steezy & So Scare stickers you could ever dream of.

civic_stylez
05-22-2019, 09:05 AM
Im all for it. Theres a prelude in Bonavista in MINT shape still rocking the full wings west big mouth kit and there was a time i would have killed for that. By todays standards its weird but its still nice to see some of the "good times" cars rolling around.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2297/1341/30740670001_medium.jpg

mr2mike
05-22-2019, 09:55 AM
I was in Boston the other week and there were a whole lot of ads and billboards advertising K&N Filters, it brought me back 15 years

and 15 HP.

gogreen
05-22-2019, 01:18 PM
In the hot rod and custom car world it's common for people to build cars to a certain "period-correct" style to emulate what would have been done at that time, in extreme cases using only parts that would have been available. I wondered if the same might happen with this style as well. The timing seems about right. One wonders if there's a stockpile of unsold body kits kicking around left over from when they went out of fashion.

370Z
05-22-2019, 03:48 PM
Just to be clear, I'm not talking about cars from the 90s, only 90s style mods on new cars...

A790
05-22-2019, 06:29 PM
Just to be clear, I'm not talking about cars from the 90s, only 90s style mods on new cars...

I mean, I tossed some Type-R seatbelt pads in my Fusion, so... does that qualify? :rofl:

revelations
05-22-2019, 08:25 PM
I was changing my wiper blades last weekend and suddenly remembered the single wiper arm mods from the 90's haha

No way! I had double wiper blades .... 90s bad assssss

https://is.alicdn.com/img/pb/531/187/450/450187531_838.jpg

Graham_A_M
05-22-2019, 08:44 PM
In the hot rod and custom car world it's common for people to build cars to a certain "period-correct" style to emulate what would have been done at that time, in extreme cases using only parts that would have been available. I wondered if the same might happen with this style as well. The timing seems about right. One wonders if there's a stockpile of unsold body kits kicking around left over from when they went out of fashion.

I've seen that too, I'm on a forum called the "HAMB" or "Hokey Ass Message Board" and they live this ideal. All the hot rods have to be pre 1964 in terms of everything. Drives me nuts as if LS engines and turbo set ups were available in the 60's they'd be rocking those until the cows come home,. So 55 years later, why are they still celebrating hot rods from that era, 1950's technology Hillborn injection, old OLD school parts. Yet it's almost a celebrated sub culture among that community. I asked about swapping modern suspension, steering and a TT LS for my 38 half ton build, and I'm amazed I wasnt banned for those questions alone. Just.... no thanks. Technology is a pretty amazing drug last time I checked. We've evolved a lot in the last 55 years, why not celebrate it, but of course dont tell them that, that's utter blasphemy.

never
05-22-2019, 10:18 PM
I've seen that too, I'm on a forum called the "HAMB" or "Hokey Ass Message Board" and they live this ideal. All the hot rods have to be pre 1964 in terms of everything. Drives me nuts as if LS engines and turbo set ups were available in the 60's they'd be rocking those until the cows come home,. So 55 years later, why are they still celebrating hot rods from that era, 1950's technology Hillborn injection, old OLD school parts. Yet it's almost a celebrated sub culture among that community. I asked about swapping modern suspension, steering and a TT LS for my 38 half ton build, and I'm amazed I wasnt banned for those questions alone. Just.... no thanks. Technology is a pretty amazing drug last time I checked. We've evolved a lot in the last 55 years, why not celebrate it, but of course dont tell them that, that's utter blasphemy.

There’s a 4-eyed Foxbody forum that’s similar though they are okay with Coyote swaps...but they freak the fuck out with LS swaps!

mr2mike
05-23-2019, 07:51 AM
I see a guy driving around a Honda CRX from the late 90s and its refreshing to see it lasted.
Tasteful mods on it.
No Kaminari Avenger Vader Attack front bumper cover with no matching sideskirts or Altezza rear lights, etc.

ExtraSlow
05-23-2019, 08:27 AM
The CRX is an awesome car.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-23-2019, 09:12 AM

I mean, "golden era" hotrodding is basically the entire point of the H.A.M.B. - they specifically eschew modern tech. No idea why you'd go there and ask about LS swaps, that's like going to a vegan forum to ask the best way to cook your steak.

98brg2d
05-23-2019, 09:24 AM
I restore bikes every once in a while and that culture is similar - people build "period correct" but not "catalog correct" bikes all the time, they are kind of like fake "survivors". That is actually what I like to do as well, build it the way I would've built it in, say, 1999. I think cars are going to be similar with resto-mods, restorations and period correct hot rods (or sport compacts). I love watching the retro Motorweek episodes on YT, there was an episode with the 22B and it showed a few modified 2.5 RS cars with turbos and JDM body work, very cool stuff. I would love to build a 2.5 RSTi similar to how they were built back then. The problem is it means a pricey full restoration on the rusted bodies that are around.

I also think major body work has come back into style as a result of companies like Rocket Bunny and RWB.

gogreen
05-24-2019, 12:06 PM

I'm also a member, and I think in general they don't mind if you celebrate new technology so long as you do it somewhere else. I also find there's a certain amount of leeway available if a car uses modern technology but still maintains a traditional aesthetic. For instance, twin turbos under the hood of a traditionally-styled custom can be acceptable whereas giant turbos sticking above the cowl of a fenderless car would be a no-go and better suited to another forum. There's also been an ongoing discussion on whether airbag suspension is traditional or not, and the opinion of the site owner himself was that using them to achieve a certain stance (low but not extremely so) while maintaining driveability was cool, but laying frame not so much. Some things just look and sound cool regardless of the fact that more recent technology would perform better or be easier to live with (i.e. Hilborn injection). Not really any different than 90's body kits in that respect where appearance is placed above actual functional need.

Back on topic, I find the styling of the Civic Type R to be very much like the aftermarket big mouth kits like the Prelude posted above.