PDA

View Full Version : Radar Question

hockeybronx
03-29-2004, 12:50 PM
I was driving along John Laurie BLVD yesterday, was just kind of daydreaming and then at an intersection I see a cop car parked up the grass on the right side.

I slow down a bit but I think my speed was around 85-90 in a 70 zone. When I went by I saw there was a cop hiding behind a sign with a radar gun.

My question is: Could he have gunned my speed and then when I drove by turned around with a camera and took a picture of my car. I always thought if the cop was there he had to chase you down but his car was in no position for that.

I only thought the parked cars could take photo radar. Anybody know what happened, I didn't see a flash but it was like 4:00pm on a sunny day.

QuasarCav
03-29-2004, 12:59 PM
no, i think he would have to pull you over!

It would be hard to take a picture of your plate while he was standing there with a hand camera.

hockeybronx
03-29-2004, 01:01 PM
Yeah that was the weirdest thing. Because for him to pull me over, he would have had to run about 20 feet to his car, pull his car off the grass over a curb onto the road, merge onto John Laurie going around a side median and then catch me. Maybe it was just a lazy cop trying to look busy and get a suntan, yet again maybe I'll have a ticket in my mailbox in 2 weeks.

ryder_23
03-29-2004, 01:03 PM
He was most likly shooting laser...or using hand held radar

radar can be used for other things than photoradar...if he was out of the car clocking people, therefore you get pulled over for that, no picture will be taken.

edit: he could have had people down the road waiting to pull people over...they did that on deerfoot...had a guy shooting laser on the overpass and about 4-5 pull over units down below pulling people over...its not uncommon for them to do stuff like that..

EK 2.0
03-29-2004, 01:37 PM
First off, welcome back havent heard from you in ages...lol

And secondly you should be ok...if you didnt get pulle dover say a block or 2 down the street you are fine...

Scat
03-29-2004, 08:36 PM
If the cop didn't pull you over and he was in no position to pull you over, and there were no cops around ready to pull potential speeders over, then he probably took your picture and you will probably get your ticket in the mail in 3-5 weeks.

But on the good side, it won't affect driving record/insurance.

JAYMEZ
03-30-2004, 01:18 AM
Ive never heard of a cop takin a picture while he standing there. I think he just let you go .

rmk
03-30-2004, 03:42 AM
You got off lucky.

Ben
03-30-2004, 04:03 AM
Same thing happened to me coming down 16th Ave West towards Deerfoot a few months back, Was doing 80 or so down that hill and I could see the front of a car way ahead just off the shoulder...figured that was a wierd spot to be parked and slowed down. Sure enough Cop with lazer pod aimed up hill towards me. When I went by we both locked eyes, probably didn't get a confirmed speed, but he knew I was going faster than 60 before I passed him. Meh.

When they are outta the car, you're safe from cameras. They are wearing their reflective yellow jackets and walk out on the road to pull you over. If you didn't get pulled over right then, you're safe.

The overpass thing is evil. Seen that in opperation, it's pretty sly. They sit on the Southland Deerfoot overpass, which blows cause I usually boogy through that stretch. 3 lanes of smooth crisp concrete.:drool:

serusnak
03-30-2004, 01:35 PM
Yup, that happened to me in k country when my bf was driving back home to Fortress with me (I was working there for the season), I, well, decided to tease him a little (you know what I mean, hehe) and the next thing I know, we're doing 120. The speed limit there is 90- a white truck (it was unmarked) drove past us in the opposite side of the road, my bf goes, "Oh FUCK!" The truck slows down and turns around, then comes after us with flashing lights.

My bf tried to do his pants up again and the cop told him to step out of the car with his hands up, he searched him because he saw my bf move around funny in the car, lol. After we told the cop we were from Fortress and we were just coming back from town with groceries and shit, the cop accused us of smoking up and asked why our eyes were red. "I don't know, our eyes are always like that, and we don't really smoke weed," we tried feeding the cop some bs about how it's against policy at work to do drugs and stuff. Finally the cop lets us go, he just told us not to do it again and he was letting us go because he didn't think we could afford the ticket. We wouldn't be able to anyway as we were only making 6.50 per hour there (although i loved working there anyway)

I figured he must have had a laser radar type of gun pointed at incoming vehicles even when he's driving. I think he believed us about the bullshit we fed him because my license is clean and so is his, no speeding ticket or anything what so ever. whooooo

Strider
03-30-2004, 02:44 PM
I saw the same cops on John Laurie... pretty damn sneaky how they hide behind that sign. They weren't using photo radar... they only use photo radar from parked cars(vans/trucks). In this case, the cop walks out onto the road in front of your car and stops you... so if the traffic is dense then you're pretty safe.

I went past one of those guys doing 85 in a 70 zone, but I was in the left lane, following someone else close enough that there was no way he could have made it in front of my car to stop me.

403Gemini
03-30-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Same thing happened to me coming down 16th Ave West towards Deerfoot a few months back, Was doing 80 or so down that hill and I could see the front of a car way ahead just off the shoulder...figured that was a wierd spot to be parked and slowed down. Sure enough Cop with lazer pod aimed up hill towards me. When I went by we both locked eyes, probably didn't get a confirmed speed, but he knew I was going faster than 60 before I passed him. Meh.

When they are outta the car, you're safe from cameras. They are wearing their reflective yellow jackets and walk out on the road to pull you over. If you didn't get pulled over right then, you're safe.

The overpass thing is evil. Seen that in opperation, it's pretty sly. They sit on the Southland Deerfoot overpass, which blows cause I usually boogy through that stretch. 3 lanes of smooth crisp concrete.:drool:

those sons of bitches on 16th! thats where i got my ticket lol

MM99lude
03-30-2004, 10:38 PM
ya i got pulled over yesterday. I was volunteering at the Golden Wing's bingo hall... driving home at 12:30 not even paying attention to my speed, cuz i stunk like smoke, something i can't stand, and was trying to get home to shower. Got flagged down on 14th street SW by 2 cops, one raddaring one flagging people down, they had like 3 cars pulled over along with me. Fucking $203 ticket.

ThE tV 8 mE
03-30-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by serusnak
Yup, that happened to me in k country when my bf was driving back home to Fortress with me (I was working there for the season), I, well, decided to tease him a little (you know what I mean, hehe) and the next thing I know, we're doing 120. The speed limit there is 90- a white truck (it was unmarked) drove past us in the opposite side of the road, my bf goes, "Oh FUCK!" The truck slows down and turns around, then comes after us with flashing lights.

My bf tried to do his pants up again and the cop told him to step out of the car with his hands up, he searched him because he saw my bf move around funny in the car, lol. After we told the cop we were from Fortress and we were just coming back from town with groceries and shit, the cop accused us of smoking up and asked why our eyes were red. "I don't know, our eyes are always like that, and we don't really smoke weed," we tried feeding the cop some bs about how it's against policy at work to do drugs and stuff. Finally the cop lets us go, he just told us not to do it again and he was letting us go because he didn't think we could afford the ticket. We wouldn't be able to anyway as we were only making 6.50 per hour there (although i loved working there anyway)

I figured he must have had a laser radar type of gun pointed at incoming vehicles even when he's driving. I think he believed us about the bullshit we fed him because my license is clean and so is his, no speeding ticket or anything what so ever. whooooo

hahaha...good job talking yourself out of that one! :thumbsup: :rofl:

dj_rice
03-30-2004, 11:02 PM
Same thing happened to me to, lol...

The cops are always hiding behind the trees on 5ave and 52nd St.....I was speeding too, 70 in a 50 zone...and I even turned where all the cars had been pulled over just to not draw attention to myself but there was too busy giving tickets to them lol so lucky me