PDA

View Full Version : Looking for feedback on 2000 Lexus LS400

Clever
05-23-2019, 06:54 PM
I was looking at buying a car to drive around town in and eventually it will be something that my 16 year old will get to drive. I came across a 2000 LS400, body is in decent shape, typical rust by the rear wheel well, but engine and the transmission felt strong, currently has close to 190k kms. I have owned Toyota’s before but not a Lexus, I’ve heard all about the bulletproof 1UZ’s in this thing but otherwise, zero experience or feedback on them. Would like to know if anyone has driven one before, thoughts on the car?

revelations
05-23-2019, 07:03 PM
I believe the airbag rear suspension needed replacing (on average) after 15 years or 300,000 kms - or something to that effect if equipped.

I was looking at these vehicles for myself - very good value. There should be no major issues with these cars - except owner-related (eg. neglect).

ercchry
05-23-2019, 07:07 PM
Yup, facelift ucf20 is just great. What options? Only real concern would be if it’s still on factory air... but so many cheap coil overs available it’s not a huge deal.

Great cars. Besides the telescoping steering wheel failing, not a whole lot besides basic maintenance to do. The uz3 has a few more hiccups with the variable timing. But not an issue with the 20. Nothing else in that segment is nearly close to being a good buy for that vintage... maybe a Q45... which does have a touch more power and a LSD... but i’d still take the Lexus over it

Clever
05-23-2019, 09:23 PM
We didn’t really talk much about options, but I did notice that telescopic steering wheel. I’ll probalbly make an offer. The car was washed today, but it definitely needs a thorough cleaning.

Pics from the owner:

ercchry
05-23-2019, 09:31 PM
Doesn’t look like it has enough buttons for an “ultra lux” ...so probably on springs, so not a whole lot to worry about. Can’t remember if those still have a chain or a belt for timing. If belt, it’s close to being due for service, which usually means you replace the water pump at the same time which is about a $1500 service, but then good to go for over another 100k kms

03ozwhip
05-23-2019, 10:10 PM
I have the 2001 LS430 and have heard nothing but good things about the 400. I opted for the 430 for more options and I like the styling better.

Absolutely hands down the quietest and comfiest car I've ever driven. I daily drive it about 150km a day and it's at almost 290k and still runs like new.

They should have a t belt, mine has a t belt, so I assume that should too. Listen to ercchry he is the one that made me buy mine lol

revelations
05-23-2019, 10:21 PM
That leather after 20 years looks better than some American cars after 2.

ercchry
05-23-2019, 10:32 PM
Fun fact: all Lexus leather is coated with (pvc?) plastic... except the ultra lux LS cars, which is real, full blown leather

Sentry
05-23-2019, 10:53 PM
They are stupidly ridiculously reliable, and also nice to drive albeit a bit of a snooze. Also they sound great with an exhaust. 190k is just barely broken in, I see them regularly with 400k.

It's a v8 lazyboy recliner.

Sentry
05-23-2019, 11:00 PM
I put nitrous on my buddy's LS400 a few years back. It was quick! With 100 shot it went 13.7@102mph

MZZYwqmxr9c

Neil4Speed
05-24-2019, 09:24 AM
Love that it is the last year of that body type. I had an SC400 for some time with that motor and it was great. Very reliable vehicle overall as expected. The engine was super refined and made the perfect sound on acceleration. Fuel mileage isn't great as you would expect - also, Premium fuel which sucks. Great color combo on the one you are looking at. A good wash, polish and wax will make it look great, as would a good interior clean.

One thing that did cause an issue was the starter. Its mounted in the valley of the motor so required a huge amount of labor to replace. They do go bad, so something to prepare yourself for... Nothing tragic but not fun.

The traction control is quite good and manages the car well in the Winter with good tires. If you have the nakamichi stereo, it sounds really fantastic.

Clever
05-24-2019, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the input everyone! Going to pick it up later today.

Love that it is the last year of that body type. I had an SC400 for some time with that motor and it was great. Very reliable vehicle overall as expected. The engine was super refined and made the perfect sound on acceleration. Fuel mileage isn't great as you would expect - also, Premium fuel which sucks. Great color combo on the one you are looking at. A good wash, polish and wax will make it look great, as would a good interior clean.

One thing that did cause an issue was the starter. Its mounted in the valley of the motor so required a huge amount of labor to replace. They do go bad, so something to prepare yourself for... Nothing tragic but not fun.

The traction control is quite good and manages the car well in the Winter with good tires. If you have the nakamichi stereo, it sounds really fantastic.

The car looked good when I test drove it yesterday, just need the interior cleaned out. The rust on the rear quarter section is pretty bad unfortunately, eventually getting that fixed but for now, it will be the timing belt, the water pump and the front brakes I will be sorting out first.

BokCh0y
05-24-2019, 10:39 AM
Fun fact: all Lexus leather is coated with (pvc?) plastic... except the ultra lux LS cars, which is real, full blown leather

I thought all ultra premium 2's are all real leather. I know my gen 3 rx with ultra prem 2 is real leather, and my old 08 IS350 which had ultra prem 1 (prem 1 is sometimes the highest) was real leather too. My new 18 IS350, Lex abandoned the whole real leather thing to be sustainable and shit.

- - - Updated - - -

I put nitrous on my buddy's LS400 a few years back. It was quick! With 100 shot it went 13.7@102mph

MZZYwqmxr9c

Freight train!!!! Adios. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

ThePenIsMightier
05-24-2019, 10:41 AM
I was looking for one of these years ago and all I could find was the Toyota RHD thing. Smelled like an ashtray and was on bags.
Ended up with a 560 SEL so it was great but SO many of the features didn't work. She was a thirsty couch, too!

ercchry
05-24-2019, 11:11 AM
I thought all ultra premium 2's are all real leather. I know my gen 3 rx with ultra prem 2 is real leather, and my old 08 IS350 which had ultra prem 1 (prem 1 is sometimes the highest) was real leather too. My new 18 IS350, Lex abandoned the whole real leather thing to be sustainable and shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Another fun fact: all of my Lexus knowledge ends in about 2004 :rofl:

But it would make sense that all the ultra lux packages get you the good leather... my LS430 was just so nice to sit in, suede headliner too

Sentry
05-25-2019, 09:26 AM
I was looking for one of these years ago and all I could find was the Toyota RHD thing. Smelled like an ashtray and was on bags.
Ended up with a 560 SEL so it was great but SO many of the features didn't work. She was a thirsty couch, too!
Celsiors smelling like JDM cigarettes is a selling point IMO

Clever
05-25-2019, 10:07 AM
Picked it up yesterday late in the afternoon and spent most of the night cleaning it, it was filthy. Found an untouched OEM first aid kit under the driver seat, that was pretty cool. But so far I’m loving this thing. A bit of a wobble when going over 100kms I’m thinking control arms might need replacing.

- - - Updated - - -

Celsiors smelling like JDM cigarettes is a selling point IMO

Mine did not have a smoke smell but the inside of the windows were caked with a clear sticky residue, not sure what it is.

BokCh0y
05-25-2019, 10:34 AM
Beautiful and congrats. More pics please!!!

ercchry
05-25-2019, 10:40 AM
Probably not control arms... these things are ultra sensitive to being hub centric... start with that, then check brake rotors

Clever
05-25-2019, 02:44 PM
Beautiful and congrats. More pics please!!!

Will do once it stops raining, paint needs work and back end by the wheel wells have bad rust spots, so pics will be front end mostly:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Clever
05-25-2019, 02:54 PM
ercchry

Good to know, I had an old 5 series that had the notorious “death wobble” due to the control arms/ bushings. The brakes and rotors are getting done ASAP, I’m just looking into viable upgrades. I got to drive it more this morning and it drives really well, I think the car was just neglected, but with some love, I’m thinking I’ll be keeping until it dies.

Edit:
Also, does anyone know where I can find a hood support lift/shock locally, tried NAPA and they are back ordered.

BokCh0y
05-25-2019, 04:26 PM
Did you check out princess auto? I got replacement hood shocks there a while back. Even got a set for my box canopy.

bjstare
05-26-2019, 07:11 AM
rock auto

Clever
05-27-2019, 09:44 PM
Yeah Rock Auto it is for the hood supports, all the shops I’ve been to in the city are either out of stock or stopped carrying them. So today my son asked his shop teacher if they can do some work on the car for class, so they are doing an inspection later this week and replacing the brakes next week and whatever else they can fix on it. I will definitely look over the work they do on it, but if it saves me time from doing it well, why not?

Found an empty parking lot:

Neil4Speed
05-30-2019, 07:23 AM
Looks great, that emerald green is stunning on that car!

I saw two of these 1st gens on deerfoot into work today... I felt really jealous of the owners who looked like they were floating on a cloud. Wasn't there an ad that said that most people have a lower heart rate when they are in a Lexus LS vs a Mercedes/BMW? lol

BokCh0y
05-30-2019, 01:10 PM
Simply put, beautiful. Drive that for a couple years then look for the 01 to 06 LS430.

Clever
05-30-2019, 06:35 PM
Looks great, that emerald green is stunning on that car!

Simply put, beautiful. Drive that for a couple years then look for the 01 to 06 LS430.

Thanks guys, got it up on a lift this afternoon and no leaks underneath, just a bit rusty. Also the wobble I mentioned is from the upper ball joint so that’s getting replaced with the brakes. I also called a few body shops for quotes for the rust repair as well, that’s something that I’m leaving to the pros, last time I tried using bondo was 20 years ago and failed at that back then.:rofl:

HiSpec
05-30-2019, 10:09 PM
Thanks guys, got it up on a lift this afternoon and no leaks underneath, just a bit rusty. Also the wobble I mentioned is from the upper ball joint so that’s getting replaced with the brakes. I also called a few body shops for quotes for the rust repair as well, that’s something that I’m leaving to the pros, last time I tried using bondo was 20 years ago and failed at that back then.:rofl:

Can you please share or PM me when you find a shop willing to tackle the rust repair?

Clever
05-30-2019, 11:46 PM
Can you please share or PM me when you find a shop willing to tackle the rust repair?

Waiting to hear back from Screamin and MP Auto, I also contacted someone off Kijiji who was recommended by somebody I work with and I was quoted at a thousand to get both sides fixed, cutting, welding and bondo to finish plus re-paint, but I’m a bit skeptical on that since it is off Kijiji and not an actual shop.

Gman.45
05-31-2019, 12:30 AM
Nice buy Clever. One of my favorite vehicles I've had back in the early/mid 90s was my Lexus LS400.

As an aside, these cars are tough as hell too, sort of like the 80s Volvos in a crash. I was driving from Calgary to Van in 1996 on the first weekend of Sept back then, freak snow storm hit, black ice came out of literally nowhere, it was sunny and perfect out one minute, and literally blowing crazy snow the next. Guy I was driving with (it was his LS400 not mine) said "dude, this has summer tires on it and they are HORRIBLE on ice", just as I come up on a semi jackknifed and a car literally going backwards in the lane beside it. I somehow threaded the needle through them, but ended up going backwards at 80kmh myself. I got it turned around, only to swap ends again (black ice), at least 3 or 4 more times. Realizing it was a losing proposition and I was coming up on more stopped/stuck cars on the road, I pointed the thing as best I could at the ditch which looked the shallowest. Went in nose first, about 65 or 70 degrees straight down at about 30 kmh, maybe more, I wasn't watching the speed, but we hit hard, and had to "hang" to drop down and get out. After we got towed out later, we fixed the damage just enough to be able to drive on the front end with some duct tape, and drove on to Vancouver, and then home to Calgary a few days later, and the car pointed straight as an arrow still. $15k damage total IIRC, but the frame/etc was still straight and fine, it was pretty much all cosmetic.

Again, very very tough car. When an LS400 for a great deal came up, I jumped on it, partially based on that trip - great highway cruiser, and very, very tough IMO.

bjstare
05-31-2019, 08:21 AM
Waiting to hear back from Screamin and MP Auto, I also contacted someone off Kijiji who was recommended by somebody I work with and I was quoted at a thousand to get both sides fixed, cutting, welding and bondo to finish plus re-paint, but I’m a bit skeptical on that since it is off Kijiji and not an actual shop.

Highly recommend Screamin. They did a great job on rust repair on a G35 I had a few years back, for a very reasonable price.

Neil4Speed
05-31-2019, 09:26 AM
Nice buy Clever. One of my favorite vehicles I've had back in the early/mid 90s was my Lexus LS400.

As an aside, these cars are tough as hell too,...

Wow, that sounds pretty intense for sure. These definitely need quality winter tires for our Winters however, I will say that the traction control system was far beyond its years. I remember driving at about 80 km/h on Ghost lake in the SC and you would hit a patch of snow which would push the car to the side for a moment going into a full out hard skid - but the TCS would pump the breaks so well that it would straighten out after a second or two. Much better than the other TCS systems of the time which would just restrict engine power.

Clever
05-31-2019, 11:41 AM

Highly recommend Screamin. They did a great job on rust repair on a G35 I had a few years back, for a very reasonable price.

So MP just came back and said they cannot do the repair, I'm still waiting to hear back from Screamin as they come highly recommended.

HiSpec
05-31-2019, 03:51 PM
So MP just came back and said they cannot do the repair, I'm still waiting to hear back from Screamin as they come highly recommended.

Thanks!

Clever
06-04-2019, 11:17 PM

So I heard back from Screamin and they will do the rust repair, I’m planning to stop by so they can see the rust in person and get a better idea of the amount of work that will be involved. I also spoke to a shop called Artisan auto, but they prefer to see the car before providing a quote.

On a side note, does anyone know how much Lexus charges to get keys cut and programmed? I called them today but their parts guy never called me back.

ThePenIsMightier
06-05-2019, 06:34 AM
Did you check out princess auto? I got replacement hood shocks there a while back. Even got a set for my box canopy.

Is this from measuring the ram and total length and knowing the spring rate? Or, can you go to a parts counter and give someone your make/model/year of vehicle?

Clever
06-05-2019, 07:42 AM
Is this from measuring the ram and total length and knowing the spring rate? Or, can you go to a parts counter and give someone your make/model/year of vehicle?

I took mine off, but if you measure the length of the hood support then you’ll know what size. I don’t think they can look it up via their “system”. They have a generic brand for $13, it came in 17’, 19’, 23’ (out of stock), 27’ last time I was at the south location.

Edit: They also carry the Stabilus brand for $29. Here is a pic give to you an idea:

Clever
09-11-2019, 09:56 PM
Instead of starting a new thread, I thought i’d post this here, can someone help me diagnose a problem with the car? It wouldn’t start this afternoon it would not even turn over, we boosted the battery and let it run for awhile drove for about 5 blocks and it dies while I’m stopped at an intersection. Boosted it again moved to the side of the road and I let it run for about 30 minutes, as soon i I shifted to drive it home, car dies. At this point I’m thinking alternator is fried. We leave the car for a few hours to do some errands and also so I can sort out towing then I realized the other day I had plugged in one of those round adapters for charging my phone and left it. We go back to the car boosted it again, let it run and this time I unplugged adapter and the battery held the charge. I was able to drive home parked on my driveway and left it running for another 30 minutes, shut the car off, started it and it ran fine. I did this a couple more times in the last 1.5 hours and it was fine. About 20 minutes ago I tested it again and the car wouldn’t start but this time it was making the clicking noise, so now I’m thinking it might be the starter. I also noticed that some random lights are on like the belt buckle lights but the light that illuminate by the shifter is dead. Could it be electrical?

My son and I fixed most of the issues this car had when we got it, I’m hoping someone can point us to right direction so we can try to fix it. Other than this power/ starting issue, and the rust that I had mentioned on my earlier posts, car runs great.

ercchry
09-11-2019, 10:30 PM
I’d load test the battery to start.... then check the driver’s side fender... the main harness runs right above the wheel liner. Could be drooping and in turn rubbing on the tire which would cause weird electrical gremlins. But I wouldn’t read too much into the lights. Toyotas do throw up random unrelated lights when they have issues

ThePenIsMightier
09-11-2019, 11:53 PM
I’d load test the battery to start.... then check the driver’s side fender... the main harness runs right above the wheel liner. Could be drooping and in turn rubbing on the tire which would cause weird electrical gremlins. But I wouldn’t read too much into the lights. Toyotas do throw up random unrelated lights when they have issues

For the $100 of a new battery, I just started replacing those at Step-1 whenever electrical shit starts to crop up and OmG, it's made my life better. It's >75% the battery and even if you're wrong, it's not a big waste to get a new one with how hard our climate is on batteries.
Please start there and eliminate the biggest variable in the while mix.
Costco Kirkland batteries are excellent and CHEAP.

Neil4Speed
09-12-2019, 08:52 AM
Instead of starting a new thread, I thought i’d post this here, can someone help me diagnose a problem with the car? It wouldn’t start this afternoon it would not even turn over, we boosted the battery and let it run for awhile drove for about 5 blocks and it dies while I’m stopped at an intersection. Boosted it again moved to the side of the road and I let it run for about 30 minutes, as soon i I shifted to drive it home, car dies. At this point I’m thinking alternator is fried. We leave the car for a few hours to do some errands and also so I can sort out towing then I realized the other day I had plugged in one of those round adapters for charging my phone and left it. We go back to the car boosted it again, let it run and this time I unplugged adapter and the battery held the charge. I was able to drive home parked on my driveway and left it running for another 30 minutes, shut the car off, started it and it ran fine. I did this a couple more times in the last 1.5 hours and it was fine. About 20 minutes ago I tested it again and the car wouldn’t start but this time it was making the clicking noise, so now I’m thinking it might be the starter. I also noticed that some random lights are on like the belt buckle lights but the light that illuminate by the shifter is dead. Could it be electrical?

My son and I fixed most of the issues this car had when we got it, I’m hoping someone can point us to right direction so we can try to fix it. Other than this power/ starting issue, and the rust that I had mentioned on my earlier posts, car runs great.

The clicking sound and no start is likely the starter. This was the only unexpected repair with my SC, and is relatively common with this motor. Unfortunately a bit expensive to fix as it sits in the valley of the motor.

Not sure on the electrical bit.

tonytiger55
09-12-2019, 09:39 AM

Before you replace the battery.
Double check the condition of the connectors TO the battery. I had a similar issue. It was not the battery, just the connectors had partially disintegrated as the vehicle was so old. Then go from that.

Disoblige
09-12-2019, 10:38 AM
Yup. Agree on checking actual terminal connections.

Also, it is always handy to have a battery charger/tender. Cheaper than buying a new battery if you maintain it well and it will give you indication on how well it holds a charge to see if you need a new battery or not.

revelations
09-12-2019, 10:40 AM
I had a 2001 Ford F250 that had similar issues - even after a brand new battery. Turns out the connectors to the battery were corroded internally and preventing proper post contact - a quick metal brush and some dielectric grease and it fired right up.

Clever
09-12-2019, 12:13 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I’ll have a look after work.

Neil4Speed
09-28-2020, 03:09 PM
Bumping up an old thread... but I have a neighbor who might be looking to sell his 98 or 99, LS400, original owner, black on black, nakamichi stereo etc, and of course... well maintained, always garage kept. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.