PDA

View Full Version : Different window tint undertones?

ExtremeSi
06-05-2019, 10:02 AM
No I'm not talking about coloured tint, but I am wondering what different shades of tint are used at different shops? I ask because I recently had my front windows done at Icon Tinting and it has a greyish/brown undertone to it. My rear windows have a very slight blueish undertone. So now they don't match which is more noticeable when you're inside looking out then from outside.

I talked to Icon and they said that is the only kind of tint they use. Nothing against them, I have always brought my cars there, I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a different shop that maybe uses tint with a bluish undertone? I prefer the look from the inside.

From the outside they look black, and it's high quality tint, not the faded purple stuff I'm talking about.

realazy
06-05-2019, 10:08 AM
I had this experience when I had to replace some tint.

In my experience, the Xpel tint has a bluish undertone where as my older ASWF tint has more of a green/brown undertone.

spike98
06-05-2019, 10:18 AM
No I'm not talking about coloured tint, but I am wondering what different shades of tint are used at different shops? I ask because I recently had my front windows done at Icon Tinting and it has a greyish/brown undertone to it. My rear windows have a very slight blueish undertone. So now they don't match which is more noticeable when you're inside looking out then from outside.

I talked to Icon and they said that is the only kind of tint they use. Nothing against them, I have always brought my cars there, I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a different shop that maybe uses tint with a bluish undertone? I prefer the look from the inside.

From the outside they look black, and it's high quality tint, not the faded purple stuff I'm talking about.

This drives me insane. Especially when you voice your concerns with the tint shop then are assured it will be a precise match. After installation, it looks nothing like the OEM colour and the installer calls you "picky".

Great feedback with XPEL. Ill have to source it next time.

ExtremeSi
06-05-2019, 10:30 AM
To be fair I never asked Icon to match anything. I didn't even think about it until after the tint was on and I noticed it was a different tone.

Does anyone know any good shops that use XPEL tint?

realazy
06-05-2019, 10:40 AM
I've always had good work done by Tint Tech, both their paint protection and tint has been great. The reason I ended up with two different tints was because of a imperfection in my rear window tint and they replaced it at no charge over a year later and they have switched their tint supplier from ASWF to XPEL. I personally don't mind it much as my tint is really light (70% IR tint) and it's barely noticeable.

ExtremeSi
06-05-2019, 12:37 PM
I've always had good work done by Tint Tech, both their paint protection and tint has been great. The reason I ended up with two different tints was because of a imperfection in my rear window tint and they replaced it at no charge over a year later and they have switched their tint supplier from ASWF to XPEL. I personally don't mind it much as my tint is really light (70% IR tint) and it's barely noticeable.

Thanks. Any other places? I got a quote from Tint Tech and they are the highest so far.

dj_rice
06-05-2019, 01:27 PM
Thanks. Any other places? I got a quote from Tint Tech and they are the highest so far.

Not sure if Perfect Dark is still in operations but give them a try

TheOldSkipper
06-06-2019, 10:09 AM

Had my A4 detailed and tinted last week @ Precision Auto Films just off Macleod.

They only use XPEL. $380+tax for all windows (minus windshield). Owner is pretty unreal, kept me posted with pictures during the process.