PDA

View Full Version : Ahh! question

lammer
10-04-2002, 12:01 AM
Ok anyone on this board mind teaching me how to drive a standard?? 2 problems. 1) i don't have a standard soo its hard.
2) i don't know how to drive a standard

the reason why i beg right now is that if i can drive a standard my mom will get a spec v for me.
if not she will probably go with a sentra Se-r auto. she doesn't want me to wreck the car..because i don't know manual...ahb!!!! someone help me!!!!!

finboy
10-04-2002, 12:03 AM
it isn't too bad to learn...but both my cars are deal.

the main problem is learning to start, after that it ain't no thang. i got one lesson from my buddy, then after that just practiced on my tired ass jetta.

good luck

lammer
10-04-2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by finboy
it isn't too bad to learn...but both my cars are deal.

the main problem is learning to start, after that it ain't no thang. i got one lesson from my buddy, then after that just practiced on my tired ass jetta.

good luck

but i have no car to practice it on, we only have 2 cars at home a van and an suv both autos..

finboy
10-04-2002, 12:06 AM
i had the same problem. would she buy it for you if you offered not to drive until you where done practicing in parking lots (the zoo lot works well, few people, open areas).

lammer
10-04-2002, 12:07 AM
how can i offer to not drive it, and practice without a car still..haha damn!!

finboy
10-04-2002, 12:09 AM
seriously, you will proably catch on in the first couple days.

i was driving the car myself (residential area i knew) second day.

TurboXT
10-04-2002, 12:10 AM
yup.. the start is always the hardest part to learn. after that. its not too bad

lammer
10-04-2002, 12:11 AM
thats what i tried tellingmy mom
shes lke im not gonna spend a large amount of money on a car and have you wreck it because you don't know standard

but i said the worse i can do to it is probably the clutch, that can be replace and it will take at least 10,000 kms i told her.
then is aid what if i learned how to drive manual then you will get it right? shes like..
having this smirk which probbaly means yes so i wanna learn hehe.

i have a friend who can teach me but he said he won't teach me till after winter, i wanna learn now, so i can put my name on the waiting list for the car then by the time ig et the car snow should be fairly light.

finboy
10-04-2002, 12:14 AM
... it isn't winter yet.
just learn in the next couple days :D

once you get the hang of starting, it is nothing.

i'm still trying to learn how the power shift (no clutch) :eek:

luckily it is on my jetta, and i don't f*ck up too often, but sloppy linkage and bad tranny fluid make it interesting.

lammer
10-04-2002, 12:16 AM
im trying to ask him again, haha im near the point of begging.

Stratus_Power
10-04-2002, 12:16 AM
well why dont u go rent a cheap standard.. maybe like standard focus or something.. rent it for a day.... go to a parking lot... if u ant learn it in 20 hours.. . then wat can i say haha... but i know wat your mom is saying.. and in a way agree with her. I know thats what my mom is going to say too when i get a car.

finboy
10-04-2002, 12:17 AM
begging and paying may work.

or you could ask your mom to pay for you to learn through A driving school.

T5_X
10-04-2002, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power
well why dont u go rent a cheap standard.. maybe like standard focus or something.. rent it for a day.... go to a parking lot... if u ant learn it in 20 hours.. . then wat can i say haha... but i know wat your mom is saying.. and in a way agree with her. I know thats what my mom is going to say too when i get a car.

Do they even rent out standard cars? :dunno:

buh_buh
10-04-2002, 12:21 AM
the only way to learn is to just own one and drive it.
First time I drove standard was first time I drove my first car, haha. And I took it onto Macleod too (bad bad bad idea).

finboy
10-04-2002, 12:24 AM
you should have seen the first time i drove the daytona home. i wasn't used to the clutch or shifter feel and stalled like 4 times. hehehe.

ecstasy_civic
10-04-2002, 12:26 AM
i learned on my moms 01 cobra convertible.:thumbsup: first day barlow and 32nd. accidently revved it to 6grand and dropped the clutch :rofl: after putting it sideways through the intersection i was yelled at and cursed at for min. 1 hour lol. i was told i could never drive it again, 1 week after i got my licence i was driving it every day:D

finboy
10-04-2002, 12:27 AM
lmao

TurboXT
10-04-2002, 12:28 AM
once you get used to it.. you shift w/ out even thinking about it..

its like a 2nd nature

you know like when your playing games.. and you just know what buttoms to press... well its like that... for some of us i mean

finboy
10-04-2002, 12:30 AM
try driving auto after driving stick...

woa, so different. i find my self reaching for the clutch on start up, and letting off the gas when it is about to shift.

lammer
10-04-2002, 12:35 AM
thanks for all the help but i dunno my firend is pretty lazy, he doesn't seem to wanna help me with this but who cares i'll ask my other friend to see if he can help me he has a stnd car, once i learn it from him i hope ill talk to my mom.

my mom is scared of me wrecking stuff. haha i tend to be clumsy sometimes..i duinno ahah maybe because im a :bigpimp:

Superesc
10-04-2002, 12:01 PM
yea that's how i learn, was on my first new car. My parent didn't think much of it, they knew I don't know how to drive, but then I was the one paying for it.... anyhow, it won't take you very long to learn, just drive it out at nite to a parking lot and boot it around.

Tux
10-04-2002, 12:53 PM
Yeah, just tell your mom to get you the spec. It's much better than the standard SE-R. If you practice you'll get the hang of it in no time. Gotta admit tho, the tranny on the spec is a little klunky at first, and it's not the best to learn on.

Mr.Buffy
10-04-2002, 01:02 PM
hey, on the bright side, your mom is buying you a car.
You're alot luckier that alot of people out there.:)

Stratus_Power
10-04-2002, 04:05 PM
yeh and a Spec V too! :thumbsup: :love: :love:

T-rus
10-04-2002, 04:25 PM
I wish I could get my parents to buy me a car that easy...damn:banghead:

HRD2PLZ
10-04-2002, 04:33 PM
I learned the very basics on friends cars and on a few unlucky used cars :D from the small lots where they photocopy your license and send you on your way. When I bought my first new car (and first standard) I test drive the automatic and bought the 5-speed. My mom kept quizzing my if I knew how to drive a standard and I kept saying I did which was :bullshit: .
Anyway, when it was time to pick up my car she dropped a friend and I off at Silverhill and we were in business. It doesn't take long to learn and practice always helps. If you know the bare basics you are good to go. Good Luck :thumbsup:

James
10-04-2002, 04:54 PM
The idea of Renting a Std Car sounds like a good idea, just dont let them know the purpose!:tongue: ........I dont think too many People on Here would be willing to let you Learn to Drive Standard on thier cars:dunno: , i let a Friend try on my car once, and She wasnt even that bad, but Some of the Sounds the car was making almost made me Cry!:( .....My car isnt the Greatest to Learn on Either. I stalled it Quite a bit, when i first got it, ......Second Nature now.

HRD2PLZ
10-04-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by James
i let a Friend try on my car once, and She wasnt even that bad, but Some of the Sounds the car was making almost made me Cry!:( .....My car isnt the Greatest to Learn on Either. Quite a bit,

Was that who I think it was?

I think you have to be 25 to rent a car, unless your parents rent it. You might need to check with the rental agency. I think it will be hard to find a standard rental car. You never know though. I'd recommend trying some of the smaller companies, they might have standards.

James
10-04-2002, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ

Was that who I think it was?

Haha, yep......Unless you like getting Whiplash, and the car bouncing around like it has a mind of its own, dont let her drive your car!:rofl:

HRD2PLZ
10-04-2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by James

Haha, yep......Unless you like getting Whiplash, and the car bouncing around like it has a mind of its own, dont let her drive your car!:rofl:

:rofl: Well, maybe then my back and neck will get worse and I'll get more money from the lawsuit! :bigpimp:

I might let her drive it, 5-speed Honda's are pretty easy to drive, even for those who don't know. We'll see.

lammer
10-05-2002, 12:33 AM
so what would be just the 'basics' of stnd drving.

is it gas, relese gas, clutch, shift, release clutch and gas again?

Stratus_Power
10-05-2002, 12:38 AM
clutch,shift,gas and clutch, gas clutch shift , gas and clutch?

haha i sorta learned mine on impreza's civic, wasnt pretty at all haha.. but still dont have a standard now so im not sure if i actually know how to drive one :P

haha still thanx to impreza for letting me use his civic :P i will make sure u will be the first to ride or even test drive my car when i get one :D:clap: :clap:

sportryder
10-09-2002, 04:32 PM
Renting a standard is impossible. All rental cars are automatic. Even the top end mustangs.;)