PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your doorbell cams

Asian_defender
06-17-2019, 10:30 AM
Looking at getting a doorbell cam. The only 3 that I know of are the nest, ring and vivint.
all 3 have their pros and cons, seems like the rings are designed to fail after a set period of time?
Source :https://www.reddit.com/r/ringdoorbell/comments/8supnz/what_you_need_to_know_about_the_ring_doorbell_pro/

I have vivint so that's not abig deal, what are beyonders using?

Brent.ff
06-17-2019, 10:37 AM
Paying a subscription sucks, and half the time the load time to respond to a ring doesn't get it loaded before they leave. Think I'm going to install a Wyze with alerts above my door instead..

rage2
06-17-2019, 10:47 AM
I've moved on from Ring to Nest Hello.

https://nest.com/ca/doorbell/nest-hello/overview/

Pros:
- 24/7 recording, cheap subscription for cloud recording
- fast response, I can finally connect quick enough to talk to someone
- image quality blows Ring out of the water
- recognizes people (facial recognition) even before they ring the bell so makes it easy to know what to do

Cons:
- No HomeKit support.
- No idea on quality yet, the first one I purchased was broken, but this one has been great. Survived half this winter so far.

sabad66
06-17-2019, 11:26 AM
Following. I've been wanting to get one for a while now but haven't been too happy with what's out there so far based on reviews.

Hoping Wyze releases a dedicated doorbell camera at some point as i'm sure it will be priced well and decent quality.

Thaco
06-17-2019, 11:28 AM
i did ring just because it was the only one i could find that was battery powered as my house doesn't have a traditional doorbell for the transformer/wires.

ZeroGravity
06-17-2019, 12:01 PM
I have the SkyBell HD. It survived the winter with no issues. I haven't tried talking to people at the door. I get notification within a second when I'm at home.

I mostly use it as a backup / different point of view for my camera. Haven't attempt to wire a cat5 to the front door / patio to install dome camera. So used Arlo Pro for the front door. It turns off monitoring when it hits -20°C.

Pros:
No monthly cloud recording fee.
Rated for -40 according to specs.

Cons:
It looks huge.
No backup battery.

RX_EVOLV
06-17-2019, 02:41 PM
We've been using the August Doorbell for over 2 years.

Pros:
- decent quality videos
- works with our August lock; can view and unlock door on the same app remotely
- survived all the winters
- Sort of Google-home compatible. When someone rings the doorbell, it triggers an alert with all of our Google Homes

Cons:
- sometimes the live-streaming doesn't connect fast enough
- not fully Google Home compatible. Can't view video feed on Google Hub

The_Penguin
06-18-2019, 10:31 AM
I used a Hikvision (most of our cameras are Hikvision, or Dahua)
Works well with our camera app (Blue Iris) and keeps a solid wifi connection even in the cold.
The app that comes with it to answer the door from your phone is sadly lacking though.

https://www.hikvision.com/Products/Video-Intercom/Wi-Fi-Door-Bell/DS-KB6003-WIP

schocker
06-18-2019, 10:56 AM
I have a nest hello and it is the best. Got it when it came out and no issues. Works fine in the cold, turned off my inside chime and it just announces through the google homes. Video quality is also good and night vision is pretty good.

JfuckinC
06-18-2019, 11:16 AM
K sweet, i'm going to get a doorbell cam, Nest one sounds good.

My wyze cam pointed at my front walk isn't cutting it after a fine fellow and his wife brought their kids to my front step and proceeded to rip open then angrily throw my new water pump at my mailbox yesterday lol. Guess it wasn't what they wanted....

JRSC00LUDE
06-18-2019, 11:35 AM

My wyze cam pointed at my front walk isn't cutting it after a fine fellow and his wife brought their kids to my front step and proceeded and rip open then angrily throw my new water pump at my mailbox yesterday lol. Guess it wasn't what they wanted....

With their kids? Amazing.

VTEXTC
06-18-2019, 12:05 PM
Do all of these devices need to be installed vertically? I'd like to make use of the holes/discoloured stucco behind our conventional door bell switch which is currently mounted horizontally, yet I noticed that the Ring and Nest devices all appear to be configured to be installed vertical.

JfuckinC
06-18-2019, 12:13 PM
With their kids? Amazing.

Ya man, i'm surpirsed you understood my terrible grammar on that post haha, but with their two kids! Like wicked example to make...

rage2
06-18-2019, 12:34 PM
Do all of these devices need to be installed vertically? I'd like to make use of the holes/discoloured stucco behind our conventional door bell switch which is currently mounted horizontally, yet I noticed that the Ring and Nest devices all appear to be configured to be installed vertical.
Well you can install it horizontally, I don't think the app supports rotating the video though. Also, motion detection gets all fucked up when it's not vertical. Found this out testing it prior to install.

VTEXTC
06-18-2019, 12:45 PM
Well you can install it horizontally, I don't think the app supports rotating the video though. Also, motion detection gets all fucked up when it's not vertical. Found this out testing it prior to install.

Thank-you!

sabad66
06-18-2019, 01:01 PM

My wyze cam pointed at my front walk isn't cutting it after a fine fellow and his wife brought their kids to my front step and proceeded to rip open then angrily throw my new water pump at my mailbox yesterday lol. Guess it wasn't what they wanted....

how would a doorbell cam have done better than a wyze cam for this scenario?

JfuckinC
06-18-2019, 04:31 PM
how would a doorbell cam have done better than a wyze cam for this scenario?

Coulda got a good look at their faces, and forwarded them to the right people.

Mine is in my window looking down my front walk, not actually at my stairs.. there's no where good to put one at my door.

cherpintow
06-19-2019, 09:14 PM
I have a Nest Hello on the front door and back door. Image quality and notifications are amazing. The only troubles I ran into was my transformer needed to be upgraded to 24v ($20). My chime was buzzing when no one was ringing the doorbell and this resolved the issue.

Strider
06-27-2019, 01:00 PM
There's a good deal at Costco.ca right now for the Nest Hello and Google Nest Hub if anyone's on the fence.
$258 for both

sabad66
06-27-2019, 02:59 PM
There's a good deal at Costco.ca right now for the Nest Hello and Google Nest Hub if anyone's on the fence.
$258 for both

hmmmm very tempting especially hearing hte good reviews on the Nest Hello. Although i'm not into the Google/Nest ecosystem at all... i run Alexa/Ecobee. Kinda shitty but i can deal with it.

What does the Hub do? Do you need the Nest Hub to run this doorbell cam or would it work standalone? (wondering if i could re-sell the Hub to make this even cheaper).

Also didn't google announce they were killing off the Nest platform? Are these going to be useless in a year or two?

killramos
06-27-2019, 03:25 PM
The hub is just google assistant with a screen. It does not do very much nor integrate very well with nest at the moment.

It’s a glorified alarm clock for me.

sabad66
06-27-2019, 03:43 PM
Ah OK, so it's basically like a Google Home with a screen? I should be able to re-sell it for $100 on kijiji so i think i'm sold on that costco deal....now to decide if i want one for my back door too (more just for surveillance of the door instead of expecting people to ring it).
Strider do you know if this deal is available in store or is it online only?

Strider
06-27-2019, 03:45 PM
Ah OK, so it's basically like a Google Home with a screen? I should be able to re-sell it for $100 on kijiji so i think i'm sold on that costco deal....now to decide if i want one for my back door too (more just for surveillance of the door instead of expecting people to ring it).
Strider do you know if this deal is available in store or is it online only?

Not sure if it's available in-store, but looks like the doorbell is out of stock online for the time being.

phreezee
06-27-2019, 03:48 PM
The new version of the Hub is out called the Max. This old version can't do video calls like the Lenovo hub so I passed on the deal.
Will wait for a Black Friday deal since I still have my shitty Ring Pro.
Getting rid of Alexa if anyone wants 3 Dots for $60, pm me.

sabad66
06-27-2019, 04:00 PM
Not sure if it's available in-store, but looks like the doorbell is out of stock online for the time being.

dang, hopefully available in store. i posted on the RFD thread to see if anyone there knows.

edit: went to beacon hill costco and they don't carry the Nest Hello there... just the Ring. too bad.

jaeden
06-27-2019, 10:43 PM
Home Depot has the combo for $298 + tax = $312.90
Google Store is $338 + tax

Also pretty sure East Hills Costco does not have the Nest doorbell either, I was there Tuesday and didn't see.

JfuckinC
06-27-2019, 10:52 PM
I Got the nest one it’s pretty decent. Creepy it wants to recognize faces lol

elite
06-28-2019, 05:13 AM
dang, hopefully available in store. i posted on the RFD thread to see if anyone there knows.

edit: went to beacon hill costco and they don't carry the Nest Hello there... just the Ring. too bad.

Lowe's has the same deal as Costco. Doesn't show up on the actual page but if you add both to the cart it will show the discounts. I just put an order in to pickup in store. 270 taxes in for the hello and hub.

jaeden
06-28-2019, 06:55 AM
Lowe's has the same deal as Costco. Doesn't show up on the actual page but if you add both to the cart it will show the discounts. I just put an order in to pickup in store. 270 taxes in for the hello and hub.

Awesome thanks for posting this. I also got a $5 promo code from the lowes.ca page which also worked.

I checked on the Costco app and looked like the doorbell was back in stock. Ended up ordering from Lowes so I can pick up today hopefully. I also have a Google Wifi coming today, using the $150 credit I got withy Pixel 3a. Should be a nice setup

elite
06-28-2019, 07:21 AM
Awesome thanks for posting this. I also got a $5 promo code from the lowes.ca page which also worked.

I checked on the Costco app and looked like the doorbell was back in stock. Ended up ordering from Lowes so I can pick up today hopefully. I also have a Google Wifi coming today, using the $150 credit I got withy Pixel 3a. Should be a nice setup

Damn now I wish I saw that $5 coupon.

Mines ready to pickup. I was surprised that they opened at 6am. Hopefully get it set up tonight for testing

Strider
06-28-2019, 07:46 AM
sabad66 Costco back in stock this morning, but Lowe's has the same deal ($10 cheaper if you do newsletter signup coupon).

sabad66
06-28-2019, 09:22 AM
sweet, thanks for the heads up! just ordered the bundle for instore pickup. $260 total with the $10 coupon is a pretty smokin deal.

sabad66
06-28-2019, 08:46 PM
Dang, was hoping to install today but my transformer is only 10V. Is it easy to replace these? Mine is mounted to my breaker box.

Any specific model anyone recommends?

realazy
06-28-2019, 10:09 PM
I have this one https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/heathzenith-wired-door-chime-transformer-0528693p.html#srp

If you can install a light switch, you can swap the transformer. White to white, black to black, ground to ground.

JfuckinC
06-28-2019, 10:11 PM
Yah I had to do the transformer. Mine was right on the box, hit the main disconnect the black and neutral connect the new one in the same spot wam bam watching weird shit at my front door.

rage2
06-29-2019, 07:19 AM
If you’re switching transformers, get a much beefier one like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Maxdot-Doorbell-Transformer-Compatible-Hardwired/dp/B07PM2PK96/

That way if you’re feeling baller and install a back door one as well, you have enough power.

JfuckinC
06-29-2019, 08:17 AM
That’s the one I got. Amazon prime comes through as usual.

sabad66
06-29-2019, 09:11 PM
If you’re switching transformers, get a much beefier one like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Maxdot-Doorbell-Transformer-Compatible-Hardwired/dp/B07PM2PK96/

That way if you’re feeling baller and install a back door one as well, you have enough power.
Good call, definitely want to futureproof this.

Would a 24V / 30VA be better than this 16V/30VA? I do want to keep my back doorbell hooked up to the chime for now so maybe 24V would too much and could fry the chime? Or would a 24V work fine too?

sabad66
06-29-2019, 09:19 PM
I have this one https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/heathzenith-wired-door-chime-transformer-0528693p.html#srp

If you can install a light switch, you can swap the transformer. White to white, black to black, ground to ground.

The connections seem pretty straight forward but I’m a bit apprehensive about my situation because it’s mounted to the bottom of my breaker box and don’t know how to remove the old one without taking the panel cover off. I’ll see if I can find a YouTube video or something or worst case should be a quick job for an electrician

killramos
07-01-2019, 07:25 AM
The new version of the Hub is out called the Max. This old version can't do video calls like the Lenovo hub so I passed on the deal.
Will wait for a Black Friday deal since I still have my shitty Ring Pro.
Getting rid of Alexa if anyone wants 3 Dots for $60, pm me.

The Max is a different product and has a much bigger screen. They were both released at the same time in Canada.

Again though. Don’t expect it to do anything other than provide visual confirmation of what any of the little google speaker picks can do. Except you can ask google assistant to start a voice call, through whatever video call system google uses.

cet
07-04-2019, 08:44 AM
Is the Lowes deal done? It's not giving me the option to add the doorbell to my cart - in store only

Asian_defender
07-04-2019, 10:46 AM
fuck i missed the deal

Strider
07-04-2019, 11:49 AM
Both deals are done.
I've have an extra set from Costco that's destined for return (I got in on the Lowe's deal too)... will sell at cost if anyone wants it.

cet
07-04-2019, 01:56 PM
What colour home hub is it?

I was just at Lowes and saw that they have the deal, or something close to it in store. Buy both and get $130 off. They also have the doorbell listed for $250; not sure if they will combine the discounts or not.

Asian_defender
07-04-2019, 01:58 PM
Both deals are done.
I've have an extra set from Costco that's destined for return (I got in on the Lowe's deal too)... will sell at cost if anyone wants it.

I'll take it!

Strider
07-04-2019, 02:42 PM
I was just at Lowes and saw that they have the deal, or something close to it in store. Buy both and get $130 off. They also have the doorbell listed for $250; not sure if they will combine the discounts or not.
The discounts combined online when they had it, so I don't see why they wouldn't in-store. Online you could stack a coupon on top of that to make it a little bit cheaper still.

I'll take it!
Fire me a PM to arrange pickup.

jaeden
07-05-2019, 01:38 AM

I was at the Mckenzie Lowes and saw the same deal at Lowes today, until July 11.

Also the Google Mini speakers are on sale for $35 all over the place, including Lowes, Best Buy, Costco.

sabad66
07-07-2019, 05:42 PM
Good call, definitely want to futureproof this.

Would a 24V / 30VA be better than this 16V/30VA? I do want to keep my back doorbell hooked up to the chime for now so maybe 24V would too much and could fry the chime? Or would a 24V work fine too?
Ended up going with the 16V as I was reading 24V would be too high for older chimes. Free Same day shipping was a nice touch.

Install was pretty easy. Took cover off of panel, flipped main house switch off, then followed same wiring as old transformer (only difference was new one had ground which was easy enough to find a spot).

Works pretty good so far and back doorbell still works fine as just a chime.

sabad66
07-09-2019, 07:58 AM
Are you guys all subscribed to Nest Aware? $50 a year isn’t too bad but kinda shitty you only get 5 day history for that price. I’d really like 30 day but not for $300. I wish these things had an SD card slot at least

Either way I’m pretty happy so far. Best feature for me is how you can disable the chime... stops my dog from barking and potentially waking up my kid every time a damn package comes in!

killramos
07-09-2019, 08:03 AM
Just be glad the 50 bucks is available. Minimum used to be 100.

Honestly I can’t see any need to go back for than 5 days. Heck I’d probably do 24 hours if it let me.

rage2
07-09-2019, 08:25 AM
I'm on Nest Aware for all my cams. Yea, absolutely no need to use more than 5 days, even on vacation.

sabad66
07-09-2019, 08:49 AM
Hmm yeah now that I think of it, 5 days is probably good enough. I was thinking of vacations but as long as I have internet access wherever I am it should be OK.

I'm on Nest Aware for all my cams. Yea, absolutely no need to use more than 5 days, even on vacation.

Do you have to pay for a subscription for each cam? Or a single sub covers all Nest Hellos/Cameras under your account? Not sure if i'll invest in a Cam yet since i'm pretty happy with the cheap Wyze Cams I have, but if a good deal on an outdoor Nest Cam comes along I might grab one.

killramos
07-09-2019, 09:05 AM
I just don’t have all of my cameras on nest aware.

I have doorbell. 1 Inside. 1 Garage.

Plus 2 other interior cameras without subs.

It still records snapshots without aware. Just no video.

sabad66
07-09-2019, 09:24 AM
I just don’t have all of my cameras on nest aware.

I have doorbell. 1 Inside. 1 Garage.

Plus 2 other interior cameras without subs.

It still records snapshots without aware. Just no video.

so that means you do need a separate subscription for each camera? That adds up pretty quick if you have a bunch of cams around like you do.

killramos
07-09-2019, 09:47 AM
Additional subscriptions are less. 50 bucks for the first. 30 bucks for each subsequent from what I remember.

So I’m 110 dollars annual for 3 cameras of HD Cloud recording

Sugarphreak
07-23-2019, 07:47 AM

rage2
07-23-2019, 08:52 AM
Ring does a great job of creating fear. Every unknown doorbell ring is a crime. Every backfire is a gunshot. I get alerts because I have a doorbell in Redwood City. It’s non stop throughout the day.

Sugarphreak
07-23-2019, 08:58 AM

schocker
07-23-2019, 10:04 AM
Ring does a great job of creating fear. Every unknown doorbell ring is a crime. Every backfire is a gunshot. I get alerts because I have a doorbell in Redwood City. It’s non stop throughout the day.

Ah so it's just the picture version of sage hill chat on facebook :rofl:

I got my nest hello so I can continue to never answer the door but now I can see who it was.