PDA

View Full Version : Donair spots in Beltline

sexualbanana
06-24-2019, 08:45 PM
My favourite donair spot (Tarboosh) is closed. Does anyone have recommendations for anything near the Beltline?

JfuckinC
06-24-2019, 09:04 PM
My favourite donair spot (Tarboosh) is closed. Does anyone have recommendations for anything near the Beltline?

The one beside Singapore Sams is good

OTown
06-24-2019, 09:43 PM
I love Shawarma Knights 14 St/15 Av. Been going there for years.

jltabot
06-24-2019, 09:54 PM
I'm pretty sure Jimmy's on 4th is the same owner as the Jimmy's by SAIT. I love it there.

shakalaka
06-24-2019, 10:42 PM
Jerusalem is probably the best donair place in Calgary. Not sure if they have a Beltline location though.

Xtrema
06-25-2019, 08:42 AM
Jerusalem is probably the best donair place in Calgary. Not sure if they have a Beltline location though.

Agree, I put them over Jimmy's on 4th.

But only cater from there due to distance.

taemo
06-25-2019, 10:47 AM
we found this donair place by accident and it is in the NE but now our favourite donair place in Calgary
https://scotianstyle.ca/

my credibility might not mean anything though as I'm not a fan of Jimmy's by SAIT

lasimmon
06-25-2019, 10:56 AM
Jimmys is hot trash.

I like Shwarma knights on 14th st.

firebane
06-25-2019, 11:04 AM
we found this donair place by accident and it is in the NE but now our favourite donair place in Calgary

my credibility might not mean anything though as I'm not a fan of Jimmy's by SAIT

Scotian Style has been around for awhile and they bring authentic East Coast donairs to Calgary.

My girlfriend who is from Nova Scotia says nothing else compares because of meat and sauce they use.

sabad66
06-25-2019, 11:08 AM
Are you looking for good donairs or shawarmas? I find that good shawarma spots (like Jerusalem) don’t make good donairs.

lasimmon
06-25-2019, 11:19 AM
Scotian Style has been around for awhile and they bring authentic East Coast donairs to Calgary.

My girlfriend who is from Nova Scotia says nothing else compares because of meat and sauce they use.

Hot take: East coast donairs are awful.

BerserkerCatSplat
06-25-2019, 11:35 AM

That sounds awesome, I'll have to check it out.

sabad66
06-25-2019, 11:45 AM
Hot take: East coast donairs are awful.

triggered.jpg!!!!!

totally disagree. Not for everyone, but the combination of sweet and spicy in a sandwich is amazing IMO.

Personally i actually quite like the food truck that sells them, i think it's just called 'halifax donair' or something. i'll have to try this Scotian Style place out next time i'm around there

- - - Updated - - -

Actually i think this statement actually increases credibility. Sure you get a lot of food for your buck, but it's low quality and pretty much impossible to eat without making a mess of yourself. It's really nothing special.

G-ZUS
06-25-2019, 12:16 PM
Actually i think this statement actually increases credibility. Sure you get a lot of food for your buck, but it's low quality and pretty much impossible to eat without making a mess of yourself. It's really nothing special.

+1, Jimmy's is nasty. My go-to places (not in the beltline) are Urban St. on 4 St NW or Shawarma Palace in castleridge

ExtraSlow
06-25-2019, 02:34 PM
Good shawarma places usually don't make good donairs and vice-versa.

I can appreciate both types.

asp integra
06-25-2019, 03:07 PM
wait....there is a difference between and shawarma and a donair?

lasimmon
06-25-2019, 03:14 PM

Technically its just where they come from, Lebanon vs Turkey. Or gyro in Greece. Slight variations of ingredients but its just a bread wrapped meat dish.

firebane
06-25-2019, 03:18 PM

Yes.

Shawrma, Donair, Gyro ... My basic premise they are just a bread wrap with different ingredients.. but essentially... the same thing.

heavyD
06-25-2019, 03:39 PM
Are you looking for good donairs or shawarmas? I find that good shawarma spots (like Jerusalem) don’t make good donairs.

I kind of like Jerusalem donairs.:dunno:

ExtraSlow
06-25-2019, 03:54 PM

Well, it depends who you ask. For me, shawarma is more authentic middle eastern style, and again, for me, I always order the chicken at those places. Donair is a word I use to describe the "halifax style" donair, which I think of more as drunk/hangover junk food.

Sounds like I may be alone in thinking this way.

sabad66
06-25-2019, 04:44 PM
Well, it depends who you ask. For me, shawarma is more authentic middle eastern style, and again, for me, I always order the chicken at those places. Donair is a word I use to describe the "halifax style" donair, which I think of more as drunk/hangover junk food.

Sounds like I may be alone in thinking this way.

Agree 100% here.

Donair is the processed spiced meatball thing that is shaved off, then put into a sandwich with sweet sauce and veggies (ideally just tomato, onion). The key thing is the processed donair meat and sweet sauce that makes it different than a shawarma.

Shawarma on the other hand is the non-processed meat (like chicken, lamb, beef) and then in the sandwich its usually a garlic type of sauce vs. sweet, and of course veggies too.

I suppose you could have a "donair meat shawarma" if you choose donair meat and add a bunch of veggies and garlic sauce, but to me a "donair" sandwich has to be sweet sauce with donair meat.

I'm Lebanese but certainly NOT an authority on this subject, so my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-25-2019, 04:54 PM
How do people feel about Blowers and Grafton Halifax style donairs? I feel the value is terrible but it’s more of a “light” donair for me which makes it more enjoyable.

I am not a fan of Jerusalem personally, I find their ingredients aren’t the freshest when I go and they just don’t feel anything special. Cedars on Edmonton trail is probably still my top guy, and always super friendly too.

D'z Nutz
06-25-2019, 07:28 PM
Donair is the processed spiced meatball thing that is shaved off, then put into a sandwich with sweet sauce and veggies (ideally just tomato, onion). The key thing is the processed donair meat and sweet sauce that makes it different than a shawarma.

Shawarma on the other hand is the non-processed meat (like chicken, lamb, beef) and then in the sandwich its usually a garlic type of sauce vs. sweet, and of course veggies too.

This is the definition I've always gone with. Not really a fan of shawarmas (mostly cause of the garlic sauce), but I love donairs.

Going back on topic, I got the donair not too long ago at Sharwarma Ave in Bridgeland and really liked it. It's not Beltline, but it's pretty close.