PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT

Masked Bandit
07-17-2019, 08:40 AM
Hey Beyond,

I'm looking for insight from people who have owned & lived with these machines day to day. What are they like once they get over 100K KM? What are they like to DD in the winter? Basically I'm getting tired of putting my Challenger away each winter and I would like something I can drive all year (with proper winter tires of course), but I"m looking for 0-60 under five seconds. I don't "need" and SUV but some capacity for people & stuff is a requirement (three to four people and a couple of hockey bags). Bang for the buck seems attractive (optioned the way I want for under $85K) but I'm willing to listen to other ideas. I'm not a brand guy so Audi / BMW / MB / whatever just for the sake of a badge has absolutely zero value to me.

TIA.

JRSC00LUDE
07-17-2019, 09:25 AM
Partner at work has a 2015, but he's only got 60,000 k on it.....has had some minor gremlins but nothing serious. Tires and brakes go a little quickly given the nature of it but it's fun to drive and I steal it whenever I can.

03ozwhip
07-17-2019, 09:39 AM
My uncle has a 2015 and loves it. But the one thing I've noticed is that the back up camera is just the worst for quality.

I've driven in it and it's a beast. Yes, brakes wear quicker than usual, but it's to be expected. I'd buy one, but that media screen is just the shits.

90_Shelby
07-17-2019, 09:47 AM
I love the looks and for the price they're an awesome performance SUV. I had intended on buying one but decided against it due to lifter issues wiping out the camshaft which can take out the engine. This isn't specific to the Jeep SRT as I think it can happen on any of the MDS equipped Hemi's. I've read lots on this issue and it's difficult to gauge why it happens, when it happens, what years, or even statistics on how many it effects. I don't like that FCA hasn't appeared to have addressed the issue with a bulletin or extended warranty on an issue that could be a very expensive repair.

In comparison, some CTS-Vs had supercharger issues where they'd start making a noise. GM addressed the issue by extending the warranty specifically for blower replacement. FCA hasn't done this for these engines. With that being said, this could be a non-issue and you could put tons of miles on one with no issues.

I'm blaming the above for my decision to go with a Trackhawk, apparently it's not an issue on the Hellcat engines as it doesn't have MDS.

370Z
07-17-2019, 11:16 AM
One question I have is can these newer ones tow??

On the first gen, it has a dual exhaust that's comes out the middle.

BerserkerCatSplat
07-17-2019, 11:49 AM
One question I have is can these newer ones tow??

On the first gen, it has a dual exhaust that's comes out the middle.

Yep, the WK2 SRTs have an available tow package and are rated to 7,200 pounds towing capacity.

4WARNED
07-17-2019, 11:56 AM
Yep, the WK2 SRTs have an available tow package and are rated to 7,200 pounds towing capacity.

Just be aware that there is no factory brake controller. (or there wasn't on my 2014). Not sure if they finally ended up adding one as a factory option or not.

370Z
07-17-2019, 12:16 PM
Just be aware that there is no factory brake controller. (or there wasn't on my 2014). Not sure if they finally ended up adding one as a factory option or not.

Looks like I'll be putting these on my watch list..I also already own one of those external plug in brake controllers.

BerserkerCatSplat
07-17-2019, 12:36 PM

Don't think so, I believe the Gladiator is the only Jeep with an available integrated controller and even then it's not going to be available until later this year.

370Z
07-17-2019, 03:40 PM
Prodigy RF wireless brake controller is all you need, I was lucky enough to find one on Kijiji for $200 but new is less than $500.

Tik-Tok
07-17-2019, 03:43 PM
Its not like a wired one is hard to install either.

Maxt
07-17-2019, 04:58 PM
I have a wk1 first gen. It's at 177k km's and basically did nothing but tire and oil changes till now. I replaced the front hub units as it was recommended at 160k, although the originals made no noise. Last night I changed the midpipes and 02 sensors, as one of my cats developed a rattle.

Misterman
07-17-2019, 05:03 PM
My 2006 was great. Drove amazing in the winter with Blizzaks on it. Only real issue I had was a valve spring that broke at 231,000km. Easy repair. I've had 5 SRT products and I've been happy with every one of them. The Jeep is an extra pig on fuel, but that's to be expected from a big V8 with AWD. Only real competitors are the Porsche Cayenne turbo, and the X5M. Both are nightmares in comparison to the SRT as far as reliability goes.

Masked Bandit
07-17-2019, 05:42 PM
My 2006 was great. Drove amazing in the winter with Blizzaks on it. Only real issue I had was a valve spring that broke at 231,000km. Easy repair. I've had 5 SRT products and I've been happy with every one of them. The Jeep is an extra pig on fuel, but that's to be expected from a big V8 with AWD. Only real competitors are the Porsche Cayenne turbo, and the X5M. Both are nightmares in comparison to the SRT as far as reliability goes.

Aside from reliability, purchase price on the Porsche & BMW are on another planet.

What other SRT product have you owned?

Darkane
07-17-2019, 06:03 PM
Neighbour had one. The cylinder deactivation caused issues with his lifters.

New engine at like 58k.

The kicker? SRT only warranties 3 years or 60km in Canada for powertrain. I believe that’s still the case.

Otherwise I like them. Big V8, 475hp, noise.

ExtraSlow
07-17-2019, 06:04 PM
Practical vehicle with big noisy engine. What's not to like?

Wrath
07-17-2019, 08:21 PM
I own a 2017 - Love it - only 26K on mine. Fit my family of 5 in it and tow a 5400 lb trailer.

Its beast in the winter (with winter rubber)

Only had one rear shock replaced as of right now

370Z
07-17-2019, 09:59 PM
I own a 2017 - Love it - only 26K on mine. Fit my family of 5 in it and tow a 5400 lb trailer.

Is that from towing too much? Lol jk

Looks awesome!

Shlade
07-17-2019, 10:33 PM

Christ what kind of fuel mileage were you getting doing that? These things are pigs on gas as is

ThePenIsMightier
07-17-2019, 11:56 PM
Practical vehicle with big noisy engine. What's not to like?

Agree.
I detest Jeep but this would be one I'd buy. I actively mock friend and coworkers who buy non SRT Cherokees.

MPowered
07-18-2019, 05:15 AM
I have had every iteration of a Jeep Grand Cherokee back to 1988 and they have all served me well. I had a 2006 SRT that was the first true hot rod SUV. Raw power rough and loud. Had a Borla exhaust and custom hitch installed in the middle to haul my Harley. Suspension was too hard for good towing. Had a few minor issues through 160,000kms. Bought a 2015 and it has the power but I would call it a Lux/Sport SUV compared to the 2006. These are great for towing, but with the 8 speed tranny they are better that the 2006 models. Feels great when pulling a trailer and you pass a guy at 140 no problem, although the gas needle dips when that happens. This model has been problem free for me through 70,000kms. I have dedicated snow tires for the winter and is the perfect ski bomber.

Misterman
07-18-2019, 06:29 AM
Aside from reliability, purchase price on the Porsche & BMW are on another planet.

What other SRT product have you owned?

2006 SRT 300c

2012 SRT 300c

2006 GC SRT

2006 Viper SRT-10

2014 Viper GTS

My old roommate also had a 2006 Charger SRT that never gave him any problems either.

I am dying to get into a WK2 GC SRT. But the fuel mileage is just way too terrible when I'm driving 1200km a week. That's the only reason I ditched my WK1 in the first place. I loved that thing. The WK2 with its ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, heated/cooled cup holders, infotainment upgrades, would just be next level awesome. I'm actually curious how much better fuel mileage is with that 8 speed trans now?

Wrath
07-18-2019, 08:40 AM
You dont buy an SRT for fuel Mileage - Last trip pulling the 6000lb Trailer was to Fairmont BC. Got from Airdrie to Fairmont on one tank (321K)

ExtraSlow
07-18-2019, 08:49 AM
Towing mileage is awful with everything. I'd bet the SRT isn't that much worse while towing than other similar options.

killramos
07-18-2019, 09:49 AM
It doesn’t turn my crank but it seems like a cool product.

- - - Updated - - -

Towing mileage is awful with everything. I'd bet the SRT isn't that much worse while towing than other similar options.

My uncle was estimating that with his gasser 3/4 his vacation to Van island this summer with the trailer is going to run him over 2 grand in gas and ferry fees. We used over 1/4 tank from Cochrane to cataract creek. Towing mileage always sucks.

relyt92
07-18-2019, 10:02 AM
The metallic green on the new ones is a fantastic looking colour and you should definitely consider it.

94CoRd
07-18-2019, 10:24 AM
Every WK2 SRT catches my eye when I'm driving, and one day, I will own one!!

Seems prices on the SRT have dropped a bit since release of the Trackhawk - so that's nice.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-18-2019, 10:41 AM
I really like the WK2, I’d like to own one one day but unlikely for me.

Mitsu3000gt
07-18-2019, 11:31 AM
The fact that the power train warranty is so short tells you that not even Chrysler believes they are reliable. That would worry me in the long run, not to mention the nightmare that is every Chrysler dealership in the city.

Are they still building these on the ancient ML platform?

BerserkerCatSplat
07-18-2019, 11:39 AM
Hey Beyond,

I'm looking for insight from people who have owned & lived with these machines day to day.

Hey, let me interject and tell you about how I don't like domestic vehicles.

shockedpikachuface.jpg

Team_Mclaren
07-18-2019, 11:49 AM
shockedpikachuface.jpg

buy a honda civic hatch, best car.

Anyways, drove an WK1 years ago, while the gas milage is shit, it's such a cool SUV to drive. I'd consider a WK2 if i want a fast SUV. Cheaper than any European comparable.

Mitsu3000gt
07-18-2019, 11:50 AM
^^ That's simply not true :dunno:

OP posted a thread that literally is asking for people's thoughts. I didn't know that only certain thoughts are allowed...

Other people mentioned similar things, but when I say the same thing, it's somehow an issue :rofl:

Short warranty and dealer support are legitimate concerns that have been raised both here and in other threads by other people as well.

Disoblige
07-18-2019, 11:54 AM
^^ That's simply not true :dunno:

OP posted a thread that literally is asking for people's thoughts. I didn't know that only certain thoughts are allowed...

Other people mentioned similar things, but when I say the same thing, it's somehow an issue :rofl:

Short warranty and dealer support are legitimate concerns that have been raised both here and in other threads by other people as well.
Haha, but if I were to be a little bit critical, you do it a bit more often :P

Personally for me, when I try to find reliable useful information, I find these kinds of opinions a bit annoying because although it is easy to decipher that the person doesn't have first hand experience on the topic, it is also just as easy for that person to not post irrelevant/untrue info unless they're trying to be funny or something.

lasimmon
07-18-2019, 11:55 AM
It doesn’t turn my crank but it seems like a cool product.

- - - Updated - - -

My uncle was estimating that with his gasser 3/4 his vacation to Van island this summer with the trailer is going to run him over 2 grand in gas and ferry fees. We used over 1/4 tank from Cochrane to cataract creek. Towing mileage always sucks.

I know the ferry is expensive (about $300 round trip), 1700 in gas seems like a lot! But I guess if you are burning a lot and paying BC prices it adds up.

Mitsu3000gt
07-18-2019, 12:09 PM
Haha, but if I were to be a little bit critical, you do it a bit more often :P

Personally for me, when I try to find reliable useful information, I find these kinds of opinions a bit annoying because although it is easy to decipher that the person doesn't have first hand experience on the topic, it is also just as easy for that person to not post irrelevant/untrue info unless they're trying to be funny or something.

Did I post something that was untrue? If so I'd gladly be corrected. 3 years on the power train is a very short warranty by any normal standard, and something that may not have been noticed since the non-SRT warranty is a lot longer. American vehicles typically have above average warranty duration, so when they cut it this short that is a red flag IMHO. At the very least it's something the OP should be aware of.

Anyway, other people voiced the exact same concerns as I had and I don't see anyone shitting on them, so it's obvious that the issue is personal rather than any kind of genuine concern that the OP isn't getting good information. I realize there are probably some SRT fanboys here but there is no need to take offense - everyone is just trying to help the OP who literally asked for opinions.

M.alex
07-18-2019, 12:56 PM
buy a honda civic hatch, best car.

Anyways, drove an WK1 years ago, while the gas milage is shit, it's such a cool SUV to drive. I'd consider a WK2 if i want a fast SUV. Cheaper than any European comparable.

No, buy an 03/04 mustang cobra.

Mine has 250,000 kms, daily driven, and all I've had to replace is a rear pinion seal and differential mounts in 12yrs (plus brakes and oil)

Bestest daily driver ever; still using the stock clutch even though i'm ported/pullied/etc.

03ozwhip
07-18-2019, 01:03 PM
Did I post something that was untrue? If so I'd gladly be corrected. 3 years on the power train is a very short warranty by any normal standard, and something that may not have been noticed since the non-SRT warranty is a lot longer. American vehicles typically have above average warranty duration, so when they cut it this short that is a red flag IMHO. At the very least it's something the OP should be aware of.

Anyway, other people voiced the exact same concerns as I had and I don't see anyone shitting on them, so it's obvious that the issue is personal rather than any kind of genuine concern that the OP isn't getting good information. I realize there are probably some SRT fanboys here but there is no need to take offense - everyone is just trying to help the OP who literally asked for opinions.

Not untrue but a little uninformed. Take a look at Lancers for example, they have 10 year warranties and the Evo gets what, 5? Is it because they figure it will explode after 5?

No, it's the same as alot of other manufacturers do, they reduce the warranty on the higher end ones, so that when service comes up, it's more in their pocket faster.

They know as well as everyone else that with bigger motors, brakes etc, people will drive them harder and that things will wear faster, not that they'll outright explode or something.

It's a money grab, nothing else IMHO.

StreetRacerX
07-18-2019, 01:13 PM
Bought my WK1 5 years ago with 76k as a daily driver, up to 178k now with the biggest expenditure being the front intermittent drive shaft($1100) which I later found out I could have gotten used from another model for $50.

90_Shelby
07-18-2019, 05:01 PM
2006 SRT 300c

2012 SRT 300c

2006 GC SRT

2006 Viper SRT-10

2014 Viper GTS

My old roommate also had a 2006 Charger SRT that never gave him any problems either.

I am dying to get into a WK2 GC SRT. But the fuel mileage is just way too terrible when I'm driving 1200km a week. That's the only reason I ditched my WK1 in the first place. I loved that thing. The WK2 with its ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, heated/cooled cup holders, infotainment upgrades, would just be next level awesome. I'm actually curious how much better fuel mileage is with that 8 speed trans now?

I got 15L/100km on the highway with my Trackhawk coming home to Calgary from Fairmont without MDS, the SRT (similar 8 speed to mine) would be better then that if you're mostly driving on the highway. On the other hand, I don't want to talk about the mileage I've been getting in the city so far......

shakalaka
07-18-2019, 07:06 PM
Always liked these and the last time I came close ended up going the X5M route. Maybe will check out the SRT or TH one day. That being said even though I like overall look of the new gen better, the old gen central dual exhaust was just much better for me.

Masked Bandit
07-19-2019, 08:45 AM
Always liked these and the last time I came close ended up going the X5M route. Maybe will check out the SRT or TH one day. That being said even though I like overall look of the new gen better, the old gen central dual exhaust was just much better for me.

Ewwww, I can't stand that centered dual exhaust look. To each their own I guess eh!

Maxt
07-19-2019, 07:56 PM
The fuel mileage actually isn't that bad, it just seems like it is because the fuel tank is pretty small for a v8 powered vehicle.

Misterman
07-22-2019, 11:05 AM
Why the heck did this get moved to the trucks and off-roading forum when it fits none of those parameters?

shakalaka
07-22-2019, 03:08 PM
Ewwww, I can't stand that centered dual exhaust look. To each their own I guess eh!

True that. Beauty in the eyes of the beholder and all that...

Misterman I see it in the general car/bike talk.

Misterman
07-22-2019, 03:09 PM
True that. Beauty in the eyes of the beholder and all that...

Misterman I see it in the general car/bike talk.

Yeah somebody just moved it back.

BerserkerCatSplat
07-22-2019, 05:19 PM
Yeah I can see why it got moved to 4x4 (as it is 4WD after all) but I think it makes more sense here so I moved it back. Hopefully the other mod will forgive me. :angel:

Masked Bandit
07-23-2019, 04:55 PM
I went and drove one on Saturday and for an $85K vehicle the interior left me wanting.

killramos
07-23-2019, 05:16 PM
Yeah I can see why it got moved to 4x4 (as it is 4WD after all) but I think it makes more sense here so I moved it back. Hopefully the other mod will forgive me. :angel:

This is clearly the 2wd not-a-truck thread :rofl:

Misterman
07-24-2019, 06:15 AM
I went and drove one on Saturday and for an $85K vehicle the interior left me wanting.

What did it leave you wanting? Interior is as nice as my $85k Merc. Actually, I should say they WERE as nice. I know they changed the seat styling in like 2016 or 2017 and uglied it up a bit.

Masked Bandit
07-24-2019, 07:52 AM
What did it leave you wanting? Interior is as nice as my $85k Merc. Actually, I should say they WERE as nice. I know they changed the seat styling in like 2016 or 2017 and uglied it up a bit.

The seats were the best part, in fact I wish a guy could order those seats in a Ram 1500! The trim bits felt cheap & plastic-y. The mono-chromatic approach felt like they were trying to hide something. I can't really put my finger on it but it just wasn't right. Part of the problem may be that just before I drove the GC I spent some time in a Ram 1500 Laramie and man oh man, did they hit it out of the park with that one!

killramos
07-24-2019, 08:13 AM
I would say on all domestics the trim is cheap and plasticy. They just all go to different degrees to try and hide it. Caddilac, Lincoln, Tesla (Lol) it’s just shades of grey for quality.

Even the Germans are going more than direction. My C63 is nice, but it’s pretty well still plastic everywhere. Just really nice plastic.

Misterman
07-24-2019, 08:23 AM
The seats were the best part, in fact I wish a guy could order those seats in a Ram 1500! The trim bits felt cheap & plastic-y. The mono-chromatic approach felt like they were trying to hide something. I can't really put my finger on it but it just wasn't right. Part of the problem may be that just before I drove the GC I spent some time in a Ram 1500 Laramie and man oh man, did they hit it out of the park with that one!

Dodge has been killing it with truck interiors since 2010. And that all carried to the SRT's as well. That's why I was curious what specifically you didn't like. I know the seats are still comfy as hell, I personally didn't care for the styling change though. The Sepia seats in 2014 were amazing.

Mitsu3000gt
07-24-2019, 10:17 AM

I would say on all domestics the trim is cheap and plasticy. They just all go to different degrees to try and hide it. Caddilac, Lincoln, Tesla (Lol) it’s just shades of grey for quality.

Careful, you aren't allowed to say anything less than complimentary about domestics on this forum :rofl: Get ready for the pitchforks.

Masked Bandit
07-24-2019, 12:25 PM
Careful, you aren't allowed to say anything less than complimentary about domestics on this forum :rofl: Get ready for the pitchforks.

Nah, I'm not too worried about the pitchforks...lol. There are aspects of the JGC that are top shelf, but as a whole the package is only 85% what I need to write the cheque. There really isn't anything else on the market that can touch it when it comes to bang for the buck but I'm just getting picky in my old age.

Aleks
07-24-2019, 01:27 PM
Didn't this gen come out in 2011? It's not surprising then that the interior probably needs an update.

Masked Bandit
07-24-2019, 02:36 PM
Didn't this gen come out in 2011? It's not surprising then that the interior probably needs an update.

I think there was a significant re-do in either 2014 or 2015 but either way, the JGC is due for an overhaul. I've done some reading and the next version (2021 MY) is going to be based on an Alfa Romeo and TBH that doesn't thrill me. The reviews on the Stelvio are not exactly glowing.

Misterman
07-25-2019, 06:28 AM
The comments about "ermagerd! Plastic!" every time someone talks about domestic vehicles, is a bit ridiculous. It's one of those things that people seem to say just because they've heard it from other people. Like what vehicles don't have plastic interior? Ones that cost over $250,000 maybe? There's a difference between plastic, and looking cheap. Look at a Ford interior, just an absolutely cheap looking pile of crap. Then look at a Mercedes interior, looks nice. Same amount of plastic.

Masked Bandit
07-25-2019, 08:27 AM
The comments about "ermagerd! Plastic!" every time someone talks about domestic vehicles, is a bit ridiculous. It's one of those things that people seem to say just because they've heard it from other people. Like what vehicles don't have plastic interior? Ones that cost over $250,000 maybe? There's a difference between plastic, and looking cheap. Look at a Ford interior, just an absolutely cheap looking pile of crap. Then look at a Mercedes interior, looks nice. Same amount of plastic.

Not necessarily, earlier in the thread I commented on how impressed I was with the Ram Laramie I drove. Lower cost vehicle, way nicer interior. Lots of soft touch materials in all the right places, nice fit & finish, etc..

Misterman
07-25-2019, 10:44 AM
Not necessarily, earlier in the thread I commented on how impressed I was with the Ram Laramie I drove. Lower cost vehicle, way nicer interior. Lots of soft touch materials in all the right places, nice fit & finish, etc..

Sorry, didn't mean to target anyone. It's just one of those generic comments I hear on the regular about cars having lots of plastic. This thread reminded me of that.

Mitsu3000gt
07-25-2019, 10:56 AM

There's lots of different grades of plastic. You can have soft touch, lightly padded higher-end feeling plastic with matte finish and no gaps or seams, 1-piece dash, etc. or you can have the rock hard ultra cheap-o stuff with huge gaps everywhere that is top to bottom in most economy cars with and even on some surprisingly expensive cars. Below the knees, most cars still use that crap for durability reasons, but there is no need for it to be everywhere.

The other thing that screams cheap is the piano black plastic garbage almost every manufacturer feels the need to line the gear selector / center console area with. At least on the higher end cars you can usually get wood or aluminum in it's place.