PDA

View Full Version : Don't eat Beef or it will rain

Sugarphreak
07-20-2019, 12:20 AM

ExtraSlow
07-20-2019, 07:42 AM
Well, if you believe in the entire concept of "carbon footprint" then industrialized beef farming produces more CO2 than other protein options on a per pound of food basis. I don't think there is much debate about that.

That's also partly why beef in the grocery store is three times the cost of pork. A lot of energy goes into producing that food.

killramos
07-20-2019, 08:07 AM
The Weather Network took a break today from guessing what percentage of rain might be expected to condemn Canadians for eating Beef.... strange

Link to Tweet
https://twitter.com/weathernetwork/status/1152246752730374146

https://i.redd.it/2odcmhsnx9b31.jpg

Weather network is lobbying for some of Trudeau’s handouts for supporting his policies.

msommers
07-20-2019, 08:38 AM
In terms of the food we eat, beef is undeniably a very high resource usage, especially water.

Maxt
07-20-2019, 09:26 AM
https://youtu.be/PHjpWo4edfw

CompletelyNumb
07-20-2019, 09:34 AM
Well, they aren't wrong. I just don't care. There's a couple countries on the planet that need radical measures implemented if we want to "save the planet", and nothing Canadians do will matter until that happens.

Sugarphreak
07-20-2019, 09:38 AM

Tik-Tok
07-20-2019, 10:19 AM
The Weather Network should stick to reporting the weather, not trying to alter it. Just like any news.

ExtraSlow
07-20-2019, 11:21 AM
Every person that is alive is also an undeniable high demand for resources. That's true, but not all individuals have the same resource demand. People in industrialized northern nations use a lot more than 3rd world shitholes for instance. And people who eat a lot more beef use much more than people who eat pork and chicken.

Sugarphreak
07-20-2019, 11:52 AM

370Z
07-20-2019, 01:23 PM
Waaaahhh wahhh wahhh.... someone suggested I eat less meat.

If you don't eat cow, you're not a real man. Fact.

A790
07-20-2019, 03:25 PM
Waaaahhh wahhh wahhh.... someone suggested I eat less meat.
lol exactly.

I mean, the WN post is hardly "condemning" people for eating beef. Hyperbole much?

killramos
07-20-2019, 03:41 PM
Thanks Obama

revelations
07-20-2019, 03:50 PM
TWN - now bringing politics to a weather forecast near you.

Next up, Trump is directly causing climate change.

Sugarphreak
07-20-2019, 03:53 PM

Buster
07-20-2019, 04:24 PM
Here's an exercise that I would find useful: actually quantifying my impact on the climate, as a fraction of a degree celsius.

How much does the worldwide cattle industry raise the climate (in degrees celsius), and then my consumption of the cattle as a proportion of the worldwide industry. Scientific notation is fine for me, rounded to say, 3 significant digits.

Supa Dexta
07-21-2019, 05:22 AM
False, beef farming is to thank for the MOST carbon sequestration of the meat proteins. And they can do so on land that isn't farmable/tillable. Chicken, pork and dairy are all pretty much totally controlled under roof nowadays, and need to bring in feed from off site, and use chemical fertilizers to supply that feed. Beef is the last frontier where they don't control it from conception to plate, (they tried and it didn't work) which is why you now see such a push for fake meat, and a lot of it being backed by the multi national packers. There is no huge consumer demand pushing for fake meat, but yet it's being advertised like crazy all of a sudden.

Also, The weather network isn't even good at weather. They are sensationalist junk.

URGENT WARNING ABOUT HUGE POSSIBLE STORM THAT COULD BRING SERIOUS RAINS TO YOUR AREA, continue reading to see where 5-10mm may hit somewhere in western canada this weekend.

Tik-Tok
07-21-2019, 09:48 AM
Or, like the last two storms, I got notifications AFTER they already started, lol

killramos
07-21-2019, 11:25 AM
http://isabelfloresdesigns.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/giphy.gif
Or, like the last two storms, I got notifications AFTER they already started, lol

370Z
07-21-2019, 04:46 PM
http://www.ruralrootscanada.com/canadian-cattlemen-association-and-weather-network-to-meet-after-controversial-tweet/?fbclid=IwAR0N9dKDcHwl2c4VbEql5bAo1RXaCMK28BfNEZoIzh4TWbcPwc-qJo8vnIQ

I honestly hope every single cattle rancher and dairy farm in the country goes tits up, no pun intended. Fuck that industry.

And they can take their pig and chicken farms with them to hell too.

Sugarphreak
07-21-2019, 05:11 PM

370Z
07-21-2019, 05:33 PM
What are you angry about?

Decades of lies and deceit.

I don't have a problem with people who hunt and eat their own animals though, that's your personal choice to make.

ExtraSlow
07-21-2019, 05:34 PM
It think it's equally as unreasonable for a weather service to report on climate change as it is for an industry lobby group to try to control what a weather service reports.

370Z
07-21-2019, 05:47 PM
It think it's equally as unreasonable for a weather service to report on climate change as it is for an industry lobby group to try to control what a weather service reports.

It's just the way the world goes lol

I like to rant sometimes on here but I certainly don't push my beliefs in real life.

Don't like the new food guide, don't follow it. Andrew Sheer is a goddamn idiot.

revelations
07-21-2019, 08:28 PM
Don't like the new food guide, don't follow it. Andrew Sheer is a goddamn idiot.

How much dairy did Sceheer add to the new guide? I was under the impression he is sponsored by the dairy industry.

Supa Dexta
07-22-2019, 03:12 PM
Andrew Sheer is a goddamn idiot.

Speaking of idiots, your disdain towards farm(er)s, shines the idiot spotlight brightly upon you.

Misterman
07-22-2019, 03:21 PM
Here's an exercise that I would find useful: actually quantifying my impact on the climate, as a fraction of a degree celsius.

How much does the worldwide cattle industry raise the climate (in degrees celsius), and then my consumption of the cattle as a proportion of the worldwide industry. Scientific notation is fine for me, rounded to say, 3 significant digits.

Good luck. They can't even come up with any smoking gun science to prove the existence of man made global warming, let alone quantify it by temperature rise in relation to carbon output.

A790
07-22-2019, 03:28 PM
Good luck. They can't even come up with any smoking gun science to prove the existence of man made global warming, let alone quantify it by temperature rise in relation to carbon output.

Cite your claims, please.

Buster
07-22-2019, 03:47 PM

basically what I'm asking as well: quantification.

revelations
07-22-2019, 04:30 PM

wait what? I thought there was PLENTY of evidence for this .... at least what CNN says .... (hahah)

Misterman
07-22-2019, 05:04 PM

Cite what claims? I'm not making any claims.

A790
07-22-2019, 07:10 PM
Cite what claims? I'm not making any claims.

:rolleyes: k

revelations
07-22-2019, 07:28 PM
I think they are asking for YOU to cite the 'smoking gun' evidence. They are claiming there isnt any.

Even I as a bit of a doubter (humans have certainly had SOME influence, but not to the extent that the mass media is pushing) was under the impression that mainstream scientists (and not dissenting) had produced the 'smoking gun' in their case for man-made climate change,.

Buster
07-22-2019, 07:51 PM
Everyone treats climate change like a binary question - do we cause or not cause climate change through carbon emissions. That's not a particularly interesting question any more, as it is more than likely we do. I'm much more interested in the amount that we are impacting things. PEople who are worried about climate change never seem to be able to actually quantify the impact controlled for other possible variables.

16hypen3sp
07-22-2019, 11:33 PM
You guys should read this article as it really explains the water footprint of beef production. It also compares beef water footprint to other crop footprints.

https://www.beefresearch.ca/blog/cattle-feed-water-use/

revelations
07-23-2019, 12:48 AM
You guys should read this article as it really explains the water footprint of beef production. It also compares beef water footprint to other crop footprints.

https://www.beefresearch.ca/blog/cattle-feed-water-use/

They should mention about the methane production that the average cow produces .... haha (its actually significant enough to be detected by satellites in space over some of the larger ranches)

Misterman
07-23-2019, 07:52 AM
I think they are asking for YOU to cite the 'smoking gun' evidence. They are claiming there isnt any.

Even I as a bit of a doubter (humans have certainly had SOME influence, but not to the extent that the mass media is pushing) was under the impression that mainstream scientists (and not dissenting) had produced the 'smoking gun' in their case for man-made climate change,.

It's funny that when it comes to climate change, people completely forget how scientific method works. The person making the claim is the one required to provide data to corroborate their claim. It's not up to everyone else to provide data to refute your claim.

msommers
07-23-2019, 08:07 AM

http://joannenova.com.au/global-warming-2/ice-core-graph/

This is also the same person who believes NASA is only good for reading thermometers, which is probably only half-true. They also do some space stuff.

A more informative read: https://science2017.globalchange.gov/chapter/3/

But back on topic, seems like TWN has attempted to delete/back-pedal on their comments after the beef industry yelled at them.

Supa Dexta
07-23-2019, 02:28 PM
Also when land is cleared, or barren of trees for cattle; water run off becomes more of an issue especially if over grazed. However cloven hooved animals actually improve this by punching small holes in the ground, which then collect water and allow it to absorb more rather than run straight off. Proper grazing management further helps this, by moving animals to fresh grass before they eat the current field to the ground.

They break some over, and stomp some in - this creates ground cover holding moisture longer, and creates more of a mat allowing biodiversity to flourish and creating healthier soil. Which at the end of the day captures more carbon from the atmosphere. And not only that, but then grows back faster for the next time the cattle come thru, which out competes weeds, and the cattle eat more uniformly across a field and spread their manure more as they do. So proper management makes this whole process work, and work better the better it's managed. Same as when the bison used to migrate thru an area, and then move on. The days of sticking too many cows in a field and having it eaten to nothing are mistakes of the past.

suntan
07-23-2019, 02:34 PM
Also have you tried their meat? They taste incredible!

ZenOps
07-23-2019, 05:46 PM
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/news/article/heat-wave-police-asking-criminals-to-take-break-massachusetts-criminal-activity-hot-weather

I kind of like the news reports. Weather affects everything.

msommers
07-24-2019, 01:01 PM
Modern Climate Change Is the Only Worldwide Warming Event of the Past 2,000 Years

New research finds that previous periods of warming and cooling driven by natural causes were regional shifts in temperature rather than global events

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/modern-climate-change-only-worldwide-warming-event-past-2000-years-180972719/

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-019-1401-2

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41561-019-0400-0

triplep
07-24-2019, 01:06 PM
Maybe they were just upset that Environment Canada changed their name to Environment and Climate Change Canada..... they just want to get in on the action and who can blame them!

ExtraSlow
07-28-2019, 08:33 AM
Save the world, eat a veggie dawg:

Tik-Tok
07-28-2019, 05:27 PM
Can't we just get Soylent Green burgers going already and take care of the population problem at the same time?

ExtraSlow
07-28-2019, 05:42 PM
Are canada geese good eating? Because we could use a few hundred thousand fewer of those bastards.

SKR
07-28-2019, 06:22 PM
No, geese are awful.

Misterman
07-29-2019, 07:40 AM
Are canada geese good eating? Because we could use a few hundred thousand fewer of those bastards.

Depends how hungry you are.

AndyL
07-29-2019, 08:57 AM
Modern Climate Change Is the Only Worldwide Warming Event of the Past 2,000 Years]

Not sure what you're trying to say here... But you pretty much omit 1300-1850 the dark ages - which is often called the little ice age...

???

But yes global temperatures have totally increased other than that whole 500yr period.

msommers
07-29-2019, 02:20 PM
Andy, the fact you're asking me that question means you didn't read any link I posted.

killramos
07-29-2019, 03:38 PM

They don’t make bad chili

ExtraSlow
07-29-2019, 03:46 PM
Need a visionary leader to help make take my "homeless guys with sharpened 7-irons" idea a reality then. Pay em five bucks a bird, delivered of course straight to the soup kitchen door.