PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite highway car - no restrictions

Pages : [1] 2

ExtraSlow
07-22-2019, 11:36 AM
So this isn't a "what car should ExtraSlow buy" thread. But the other day I was driving to Edmonton for work, and I realized that there are lots of people who make that drive, or similar long highway drives, many times a week. Having the "right" vehicle makes a big difference to how tired you are when you arrive. If you have a tiny noisy econobox, you will arrive with your ears ringing. If you have a "real" sports car, your back will be hurting from the rough shape our highways are in. You need something with a little bit of passing power to get around the grannies and farmers. I personally find pickup trucks and truck-based SUV's to be really comfortable for long drives because they fit my body and you have good visibility. Large sedans/wagons are good too. I imagine a Merc E or S series is amazing for this purpose. I've never owned one.

So, if you had to drive 10+ hours on Alberta highways every week in all weather conditions, what's your choice and why? Can be a practical option, or a little more wild. New, Used, whatever. Just looking to have a fun discussion.

nismodrifter
07-22-2019, 11:45 AM
Jetta TDI. - 1.9 ALH powered. aka my old cars.

Torque. Can easily zip in and out of spots. All that power at 1900 rpm makes for easy passing.
Comfort = heated seats, good lumbar support, leather, excellent stereo. Loved the cockpit.
Fuel = 1400+km on a highway tank.
Storage = plenty.

For 4 years of my training I drove my Jetta back and forth across Canada and the USA from site to site every month. The car never let me down. Ultimate highway car IMO (practical choice).

re: S-Class, comfortable, but too big IMO. Gas guzzler.

you&me
07-22-2019, 11:46 AM
Since this is "not restrictions", I'm going to look at this as a "money no object" exercise...

My first thought was a big, GT coupe - Bentley GT, MB S-Class, RR Wraith, something like that with lots of comfort and lots of power.

But if you're adding the stipulation of 10+ hours every week on Alberta highways, I think a big luxury SUV might fit the bill even better. When I think of lots and lots of Alberta highway driving, I think of a lot of time spent on the #2, both north and south of Calgary, with some secondary highways mixed in. There won't be a lot of curves, so "handling" isn't a big enough priority to warrant a sports car, and with the number of trucks, SUVs and semis that will otherwise be on the road, you might as well be at their level...

In that case, and purely from the perspective of "best tool for the job of keeping me comfy / safe / happyi, I'd probably go for a similar selection of the SUV versions - Bentayga, GLS63, or even a Cullinan

ExtraSlow
07-22-2019, 11:48 AM
Best highway car in my current fleet is our 2012 Honda Odyssey. Pretty decent power, and it's so heavy it feels the same at 135 as it does at 90. Not "great" comfort, but pretty decent. Don't love the ergonomics. Okay fuel economy, okay noise level.
My 3/4 ton truck is very rough and the savage Honda fit has too much road noise.

Sugarphreak
07-22-2019, 11:49 AM

dirtsniffer
07-22-2019, 11:58 AM
I'd probably pick up a new navigator. For a car I'd go with an s65

Proyecto2000
07-22-2019, 11:59 AM
I would go with a nice F-150 and only because I find it super comfortable and I do a fair bit of highway driving.

If I could afford to have a nice SUV for comfort sake I would go with the gas guzzling Lexus LX570

Xtrema
07-22-2019, 12:08 PM
Just got off a rental Impala. Surprisingly it averages 7l/100 on highway off its 3.6L V6. Big/Floaty/Comfortable, not that maneuverable but great on highways. I would assume Malibu would be the same.

ercchry
07-22-2019, 12:10 PM
No limits... a bespoke luxury van/bus with driver. Wtf drive when you can sip on exotic wines and spirits in the comfort of a luxury living room?

Realistically? Cause let’s be honest... if you had no limits you wouldn’t be driving to Edmonton... ever :rofl:

Lexus LS, they will sit on cruise at 160kms/h like they’re doing 80... sip fuel up there too unlike the suv/trucks... super under the radar too. Takes quiet to the next level... and unlike the 7 or s competitors. It won’t spend half the time in the shop if you’re racking up those kind of kms. Has every single hwy safety system you need to also zone out completely

Edit: oh! And how can I forget the most important hwy feature... heated jade roller massage seats. Keep that blood circulating

JustinL
07-22-2019, 12:10 PM
Porsche Panamera would be great for devouring highway miles.

Aleks
07-22-2019, 12:11 PM
For me it was the BMW E90 sedans I've had. They feel great at high speeds, the faster I went the more at home they felt, the steering, how planted they were and with thigh extenders in the seats were super comfortable.

Misterman
07-22-2019, 12:19 PM
A reasonable choice as far as purchase price goes, an SRT8 charger or Grand Cherokee seems the obvious choice. Number one, it is one of the most comfortable vehicles you will ever sit in. Two, it has plenty of passing power. Three, the stereo is great if you get the high performance audio.

On the other end of the spectrum, no price too high. Beats me? There isn't anything super expensive that would be much better functionally than cheaper options for just cruising around on shitty Alberta roads. You could say Porsche Cayenne, Range Rover, or Mercedes GLE just because they look nice and have air ride suspension.

G-ZUS
07-22-2019, 12:22 PM
Accord 6-6

Darell_n
07-22-2019, 12:22 PM
I drove my Grandfather’s ‘72 Cadillac Eldorado for a summer. I’m sure you could run over a few cars in this thread with one without spilling your drink. Something about plush seats that you sink 12” into and watching the front end moving sideways when you turn a corner. (Literally the same sensation as a boat on calm water). The 7.0L + sized engine that is dead quiet was also entertaining. (Can only reach half the engine bay from the front.)

killramos
07-22-2019, 12:23 PM
S63 AMG Coupe.

Easily my choice for a money no object DD. Highway or City.

New M8 Comp could be interesting too.

Disoblige
07-22-2019, 12:31 PM
So this isn't a "what car should ExtraSlow buy" thread. But the other day I was driving to Edmonton for work, and I realized that there are lots of people who make that drive, or similar long highway drives, many times a week. Having the "right" vehicle makes a big difference to how tired you are when you arrive. If you have a tiny noisy econobox, you will arrive with your ears ringing. If you have a "real" sports car, your back will be hurting from the rough shape our highways are in. You need something with a little bit of passing power to get around the grannies and farmers. I personally find pickup trucks and truck-based SUV's to be really comfortable for long drives because they fit my body and you have good visibility. Large sedans/wagons are good too. I imagine a Merc E or S series is amazing for this purpose. I've never owned one.

So, if you had to drive 10+ hours on Alberta highways every week in all weather conditions, what's your choice and why? Can be a practical option, or a little more wild. New, Used, whatever. Just looking to have a fun discussion.
I've done 12 hour+ drives straight multiple times in Alberta in a Fit, Jeep Wrangler, Ford Escape, 4Runner (4th & 5th gen), Focus RS.. lol.

They all had their advantages/disadvantages, whether it's fuel economy, fun factor, passing capability, abilities in heavy rain/snow/ice storms.
If I had to choose one for all weather conditions, it would be a Lexus GX. Comfy and luxurious for long durations, enough power to pass (V8), and comfortable to drive in any storm and have enough ground clearance.

2 dr Jeep on ice was interesting. Did a 900° spin on the highway when it was really icey out. Fell in a snowbank once but Jeep, so it crawled its way out no issues.

Darkane
07-22-2019, 12:40 PM
F150 or any 1/2 ton.

They’re just that good these days.

Car, new civic hatch would work well. I’ve done 5+ hours in my Type R, and room was excellent, seats a little tight at the end.

A normal sport hatch would work well.

And unrealistically, some big ass Benz or BMW.

revelations
07-22-2019, 12:48 PM

By 'highways' you mean some rural dirt roads as well? In that case a truck is what you are after.

Winter does demand that you get at least some kind of winter tire - although i know plenty of land surveyors in the bush who dont and I've seen many spun out trucks as a result.

When you are caught in a blizzards aftermath in Athabasca for eg, that 2ft of powder on the hotel parking lot will remind you why you got a 4x4 truck.

The Fords seem to do quite well - F350 perhaps? (gas, not diesel if you arent hauling anything).

Buster
07-22-2019, 12:50 PM
Diesel MB GLS. Of all of the vehicle I've ever owned that was the best highway vehicle. Comfy, elevated, handled well, good visibility. Just churned along at low diesel RPM And rarely shifted. New ones with autonomous driving and smart cruise, etc would be even better.

killramos
07-22-2019, 12:52 PM
I haven’t really gotten on the autonomous driving band wagon. But after driving my wife’s Lexus with radar cruise to Osoyoos and back last week. It’s 100% the way to go. Feet on the floor just lazily steering.

ExtraSlow
07-22-2019, 12:54 PM
I was thinking paved roads only. But yeah if you are going ontonthe dirt industrial roads to remote locations Tha6s a different story.
Maybe if you are going to smaller towns awd might matter, but I still say 2wd cars are fine on main highways once you have real winter tires.

Some great thoughts already. Glad the 6-6 has been mentioned.

I borrowed a Lexus IS350 recently and I didn't like the radar cruise. Maybe it's adjustable, but it was slowing down waaaay too early.

BavarianBeast
07-22-2019, 12:55 PM
I love the RS7. Looking at buying one right now..

corsvette
07-22-2019, 12:59 PM
Daily'd from Calgary to Red deer for 7 months for work many years ago. Started out with a Hyundai Elantra to save fuel (truly an awful car) switched to a TDI VW that lasted all of 3 weeks before the t-belt failed (seller lied about the "recent" belt replacement) really liked that VW but didn't want to spend the coin to fix it. Ended up with a Buick Park Avenue with a supercharged V6. What an absolute geezer-mobile, bench seat, column shift, but man, that thing rode nice and miles ticked away like nothing. I also added a smaller s/c pulley and injectors/fuel pump and a zzp tune, the big boat would go pretty good and still returned amazing fuel economy (around 9-10L/100km). Above all it was totally stealth, nobody ever expected it to be as quick as it was.

Today, I like the Sierra Denali. Hard to beat a modern pickup for all around driving. Money no object I'd probably get a S-Class or big Bentley.

Misterman
07-22-2019, 01:31 PM
I was thinking paved roads only. But yeah if you are going ontonthe dirt industrial roads to remote locations Tha6s a different story.
Maybe if you are going to smaller towns awd might matter, but I still say 2wd cars are fine on main highways once you have real winter tires.

I borrowed a Lexus IS350 recently and I didn't like the radar cruise. Maybe it's adjustable, but it was slowing down waaaay too early.

Pretty sure I could adjust the distance in mine. But either way it was terrible and I disable that radar cruise immediately. It just slows down as you approach a car, and don't realize you've slowed down! Next thing you know you look down and see you're doing 20km/h below your set cruise speed.

Mitsu3000gt
07-22-2019, 01:58 PM
I haven’t really gotten on the autonomous driving band wagon. But after driving my wife’s Lexus with radar cruise to Osoyoos and back last week. It’s 100% the way to go. Feet on the floor just lazily steering.

I do a ton of highway driving and the only thing I don't like about autonomous cruise is that it doesn't take into account the way people actually drive on the highway. The gaps most of the systems leave are big enough that two things happen:

1) People behind you think you are going slow, even though you are flawlessly pacing the car in front of you, and will tailgate/road rage wanting to pass
2) The gap most of the systems leave at highway speed is multiple car lengths even on their "tightest" setting, so people are always moving in front of you, which makes your car hit the brakes until you get the right sized gap back, and then another person just moves in.

It's a bit better on single lane undivided highways where it's harder to pass, but depending on the highway it can be very annoying. The computer has a much better reaction time than a human, it should let you follow closer, but I get why they set them the way they do. It is ideal when you have nowhere to be and aren't in a hurry, and it doesn't matter if you slow down from 120 --> 80Km/h because there is a giant camper in front of you.

As for the OP question I think any of the big German sedans are hard to beat, especially the long wheelbase versions where rear passenger comfort is prioritized. I have been in a 760Li on the Autobahn and it was phenomenal - you feel like you are going 50 Km/h at 200+ Km/h. We do long trips to the field in SUV's and Trucks and they are not enjoyable at all IMHO.

sabad66
07-22-2019, 02:08 PM
Luxury SUV for me. Either a brand new Range Rover Sport or maybe a G Wagon if money was no object. Although i've never been in a G Wagon... i'm just assuming they ride pretty smooth but maybe not?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-22-2019, 02:08 PM
I use a 2010 Mazda 3 GT for work as a flat tow vehicle and it gets at least 50k a year (plus another 50k a year of towing mileage). Fairly comfy and reliable, goes fine with studded tires in the winter, I’ve never been stuck or stranded anywhere because of it and the chassis has at least 500k on it now.

ThePenIsMightier
07-22-2019, 02:16 PM
The proper Ferrari GT cars.
456 Modificata, 612 Scaglietti, FF, GTC-4Lusso.

Skrilla
07-22-2019, 02:40 PM
Buick Roadmaster Estate!

mr2mike
07-22-2019, 03:01 PM
I drove my Grandfather’s ‘72 Cadillac Eldorado for a summer.
Now we're talkin'

killramos
07-22-2019, 03:04 PM

Yea my wife hated it until I found the button to tighten the distance up. Was way better after that.

Measured it at a pretty consistent 2 seconds. Which is good for most people imo, unless you drive an Audi that is.

Buster
07-22-2019, 03:07 PM
Yea my wife hated it until I found the button to tighten the distance up. Was way better after that.

Measured it at a pretty consistent 2 seconds. Which is good for most people imo, unless you drive an Audi that is.

or a Dodge Ram.

shakalaka
07-22-2019, 03:10 PM
Rolls Royce Wraith. Speaking of which it's been appealing to me a lot lately and I've been scoping them out 'non-seriously' - which is scary as fuck. Maybe it's just cause I am getting older.

revelations
07-22-2019, 03:10 PM
I drove a new LS500 to Vancouver last year in April.

- the cruise control does not work in the rain very well (perfect roads only - LA winters)
- the cruise systems works amazingly in steady, stop and go, traffic jams
- the cruise system does not work in non-steady stop and go and a human is much better able to see 2-3 cars in front and assess when to start braking or accelerating.

- massage bum function is a must have for longer drives, really does make a noticeable difference

ThePenIsMightier
07-22-2019, 03:11 PM
I drove my Grandfather’s ‘72 Cadillac Eldorado for a summer...

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DisastrousSardonicGallinule-size_restricted.gif
LoL.

Misterman
07-22-2019, 03:12 PM
Luxury SUV for me. Either a brand new Range Rover Sport or maybe a G Wagon if money was no object. Although i've never been in a G Wagon... i'm just assuming they ride pretty smooth but maybe not?

G wagon is terrible. Completely a baller status vehicle and nothing more. Heavy as a tank, ride like on, no cup holders even. My buddy lent me his for a week, I was pretty unimpressed. For that kind of money I would 100% be going for a RR over a G any day of the week.

revelations
07-22-2019, 03:12 PM
Rolls Royce Wraith. Speaking of which it's been appealing to me a lot lately and I've been scoping them out 'non-seriously' - which is scary as fuck. Maybe it's just cause I am getting older.

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/rolls-royce/wraith/calgary/alberta/5_43967622_20140929115337621/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=1_3_3&sprx=-2

Trade a condo for this !

shakalaka
07-22-2019, 03:29 PM
https://www.autotrader.ca/a/rolls-royce/wraith/calgary/alberta/5_43967622_20140929115337621/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=1_3_3&sprx=-2

Trade a condo for this !

That's actually 'cheaper' than I thought it would be lol. I saw a black on black that was dropped on Instagram and since then I love them. Don't like many other colour combos too much though. As much as I like it, I feel like I still gotta go the Mclaren or Lambo route before getting a RR. Unless I hit a multi million lottery or something...which is unlikely considering I don't play. lol

you&me
07-22-2019, 03:45 PM
G wagon is terrible. Completely a baller status vehicle and nothing more. Heavy as a tank, ride like on, no cup holders even. My buddy lent me his for a week, I was pretty unimpressed. For that kind of money I would 100% be going for a RR over a G any day of the week.

The new Gs are like night and day from the previous gen. Though not quite Range Rover smooth, they're definitely a legitimate alternative now, as opposed to being purely for flash like before.

ercchry
07-22-2019, 03:50 PM
Biggest issue with G is the two year wait list

shakalaka
07-22-2019, 04:08 PM
Biggest issue with G is the two year wait list

Yup. Benz's way to maintain exclusivity to that vehicle and why it doesn't really depreciate like most other vehicles. I am on the waiting list and the ETA was around a year and half. Let's see if and when it comes in but by then I will probably get bored of the idea of having one and move on lol.

Ignoring the shitty ride quality I do like the old gen as well and if I ever happen to come across a good deal on one of those, I'd even consider picking one of those too. Only thing now though is with the Jeep Wrangler, I feel like the G wagon will just be a little more refined version of the same thing. lol

Xtrema
07-22-2019, 04:10 PM

Last week I get to experience that on a $22K Corolla hatch. Was impressed they can make that tech standard for such budget car.

you&me
07-22-2019, 04:33 PM
Yup. Benz's way to maintain exclusivity to that vehicle and why it doesn't really depreciate like most other vehicles. I am on the waiting list and the ETA was around a year and half. Let's see if and when it comes in but by then I will probably get bored of the idea of having one and move on lol.

Ignoring the shitty ride quality I do like the old gen as well and if I ever happen to come across a good deal on one of those, I'd even consider picking one of those too. Only thing now though is with the Jeep Wrangler, I feel like the G wagon will just be a little more refined version of the same thing. lol

It's not Mercedes trying to artificially limit supply; it's the sheer volume of demand for exporting them.

I'm on the list at a smaller market dealership and I've been bumped up several times... One or two more and I might even get a truck this year!

Mitsu3000gt
07-22-2019, 04:42 PM
Last week I get to experience that on a $22K Corolla hatch. Was impressed they can make that tech standard for such budget car.

Tech seems to be where the econo-boxes are competing these days, and I think it's funny that all these ~$20K-ish cars share so many tech features with cars costing 2-3 times as much. You've got people rolling around in Corollas with better tech than some high end sedans from not that long ago.

I can't imagine any of these systems are more than some cheap sensors and a few lines of code. They probably cost the manufacturers next to nothing to implement but you sure do pay for them on the higher end cars, or are forced to bundle them in an expensive package. You can get full sensing suites either standard or for like $1200 these days on economy cars, and you know that is still mostly profit for the car maker haha. Either way, it's a nice trend IMO.

Misterman
07-22-2019, 04:54 PM
The new Gs are like night and day from the previous gen. Though not quite Range Rover smooth, they're definitely a legitimate alternative now, as opposed to being purely for flash like before.

What year are we talking? I was driving a 2018 I'm pretty sure.

SKR
07-22-2019, 05:24 PM
I drove my Grandfather’s ‘72 Cadillac Eldorado for a summer. I’m sure you could run over a few cars in this thread with one without spilling your drink. Something about plush seats that you sink 12” into and watching the front end moving sideways when you turn a corner. (Literally the same sensation as a boat on calm water). The 7.0L + sized engine that is dead quiet was also entertaining. (Can only reach half the engine bay from the front.)

I also vote Cadillac.

ercchry
07-22-2019, 05:33 PM
No limits... a bespoke luxury van/bus with driver. Wtf drive when you can sip on exotic wines and spirits in the comfort of a luxury living room?

Realistically? Cause let’s be honest... if you had no limits you wouldn’t be driving to Edmonton... ever :rofl:

Lexus LS, they will sit on cruise at 160kms/h like they’re doing 80... sip fuel up there too unlike the suv/trucks... super under the radar too. Takes quiet to the next level... and unlike the 7 or s competitors. It won’t spend half the time in the shop if you’re racking up those kind of kms. Has every single hwy safety system you need to also zone out completely

Edit: oh! And how can I forget the most important hwy feature... heated jade roller massage seats. Keep that blood circulating

Mmm... that’s the one. G-77: sky master by lexani

https://www.lexanimotorcars.com/

ExtraSlow
07-22-2019, 05:42 PM
I'm such a plebe. I didn't even think about being driven around.

ercchry
07-22-2019, 05:45 PM

I found it hilarious watching footage of R. Kelly rolling up to court in one of their sprinter conversions :rofl:

Sentry
07-22-2019, 06:02 PM
E39 M5 or 540i if you like three pedals and a little jam
LS430 if you're cool with auto and not so power hungry

All three of those will get 8L/100km highway

you&me
07-22-2019, 06:48 PM
MY2019+

You would know... The cupholders give it away :rofl:

revelations
07-22-2019, 07:29 PM
I also vote Cadillac.

Those seats would have been extraordinarily comfy on long rides. Ultra soft - why cant they do this still with air bag seats for eg?

Sugarphreak
07-22-2019, 07:39 PM

ShermanEF9
07-22-2019, 07:40 PM
I would go with a nice F-150 and only because I find it super comfortable and I do a fair bit of highway driving.

If I could afford to have a nice SUV for comfort sake I would go with the gas guzzling Lexus LX570

I have to agree. im very happy with my F150. Maybe get the lazy aids (lane keep and adaptive cruise) to make things a bit less tiresome.

Darell_n
07-22-2019, 09:09 PM
Those seats would have been extraordinarily comfy on long rides. Ultra soft - why cant they do this still with air bag seats for eg?

Well, they weigh as much as my crew cab truck does now, so seats that are 2ft thick may be a little too performance prohibitive today.

rage2
07-22-2019, 10:38 PM
I drive to and from Kamloops frequently over the years, and my favorite car for that trek was my CLS550. It made the drive feel like 2 hours for everyone in the car. Whole family misses that car for road tripping.

Taking the E53 coupe out for the first time soon, expect it to be even better with all the self driving bits. Good enough fuel economy to make it without stopping too.

ThePenIsMightier
07-22-2019, 11:05 PM
When did the term "no restrictions" suddenly become "better worry if it doesn't get <10L/100km"?
:RoFL

Misterman
07-23-2019, 06:16 AM
MY2019+

You would know... The cupholders give it away :rofl:

Damn. Well now I have to take a drive in a 2019.

- - - Updated - - -

When did the term "no restrictions" suddenly become "better worry if it doesn't get <10L/100km"?
:RoFL

When you consider the entire equation. The question wasn't "What's the best car, no restrictions" It was What's the best highway car for driving lots of miles, no restrictions. Nobody wants to stop for gas every few hours on the highway.

jwslam
07-23-2019, 07:15 AM
Tech seems to be where the econo-boxes are competing these days, and I think it's funny that all these ~$20K-ish cars share so many tech features with cars costing 2-3 times as much. You've got people rolling around in Corollas with better tech than some high end sedans from not that long ago.
Reason #1 why I don't step into the infiniti showroom: No android auto

Back on topic - I've driven:
2000km in 3 days in a 14 Acadia. Do not recommend.
1500km in 3 days in a 17 Mazda 5. Do not recommend.
1500km in 2 days in a 16 Ram. I don't like how it drives "floaty".
1500km in 2 days in a 16 Silverado. Better than the Ram.
1500km in 3 days in a 16 (cli)Taurus. Decently cushy on the tushy.
1500km in 3 days in a 13 Soul. Decently cushy.
1700km in 3 days in my 09 Accord Coupe i4 M5 (sorry it's not a 6-6 :cry:). Not great but still good.
1000km in 2 days in a 16 MDX. Would not recommend unless the seats have ventilation. Pretty sweaty.

Probably a bunch more I can't list off the top of my head. I do a lot of useless driving to facilities...
I think my ideal is one of the bigger heavy sedans similar to above.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-23-2019, 07:55 AM
The longest days I drive (not working) are usually 1200-1800km and German cars always seem to be most comfortable.

Homerrca
07-23-2019, 08:18 AM
Drove 1500KM in my charger with no issues, comfortable and had the pep I needed to pass everyone. If you are winter driving, I would suggest the AWD version. Its a larger car then the fit but comfortable. If that doesn't work as most folks suggested, a nice F150 would work as well (you can also use it for towing if needed).

revelations
07-23-2019, 09:49 AM
Well, they weigh as much as my crew cab truck does now, so seats that are 2ft thick may be a little too performance prohibitive today.

AIRBAG seats my friend .... inflate as little or as firm as you want! Float in comfort with no pressure points. Lufthansa also has this in their business class seats.

hampstor
07-23-2019, 09:53 AM
From experience: In my 14 GMC Sierra (SLE), we drove Calgary to LA, up the coast (PCH + 101 + I5) to Vancouver, and back to Calgary, over 3 weeks. It was comfortable for my family on that trip, plenty of passing power, and lots of cargo room. I imagine the Denali trim or a '19 would've been more comfortable.

No restrictions: I'd be interested in what an S-class or an A7 is like? I'm not very imaginative with cars at my old(ish) age. hah.

Darell_n
07-23-2019, 10:34 AM
AIRBAG seats my friend .... inflate as little or as firm as you want! Float in comfort with no pressure points. Lufthansa also has this in their business class seats.

Water bed seats would be great. Just go with the flow.

msommers
07-23-2019, 11:08 AM
Bentley Bentayga

Yum

muse017
07-23-2019, 01:03 PM
Based on my commuting from Calgary SE to Canmore

F150 or any half ton> Golf TDI > Tacoma > CRV > M3

flipstah
07-23-2019, 01:12 PM
S65 with the fridge + Thule box would be a nice road trip machine

ThePenIsMightier
07-23-2019, 05:20 PM

Once those steady employment cheques start rolling in though...
FatStacks.gif

03ozwhip
07-23-2019, 07:13 PM
I drive the LS430 everyday and I wanna pass out everytime I drive it because it's that comfy and boring.

ExtraSlow
05-17-2022, 07:17 PM
Just daydreaming today about a job I applied for that woukd involve some highway driving. Remembered this thread.

2022 update, current favourite highway car. I think E-class wagon for me.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-17-2022, 07:25 PM
My current car…when it works.

Sentry
05-17-2022, 07:29 PM
M5 was epic, went to Kelowna twice with friends in it, gets like 8-9l/100km highway with the supercharger. Guy that bought it from me drove it straight home to Toronto and said it was a gem.

SKR
05-17-2022, 07:47 PM

I'd like to put on highway miles in that.

ExtraSlow
05-17-2022, 07:57 PM
Longboi is long.

Darell_n
05-17-2022, 08:19 PM
I drove my Grandpa’s ‘71 Eldorado for a summer. Dead quiet, could run over curbs with zero sensation and fun watching the hood move sideways turning corners. 8.2L V8 was alright, gas gauge was in the center of the dash and like only 3/4” wide.

ShermanEF9
05-17-2022, 08:53 PM
Explorer ST. Comfy, pretty okay on gas for its size, and has lots of nice highway features.

Euro_Trash
05-17-2022, 08:56 PM
FIL had a 1 ton platinum diesel that was the perfect highway cruiser

The_Penguin
05-17-2022, 09:08 PM
I miss my CTS for highway driving.

bjstare
05-17-2022, 09:42 PM
FIL had a 1 ton platinum diesel that was the perfect highway cruiser

Wat

My dad has one of these, and when it’s not loaded the ride is horrible. And it’s loud above 100km/h. Massage seats are nice, but they’re very “American” (read: mediocre) in their execution. It’s certainly not the worst hwy cruiser, but far from the best imo.

Since we’re talking about 4 seasons, and no rules, my vote goes to a Maybach GLS, or maybe RR cullinan (although rolls royce cars are ridiculously ostentatious, and I’m not a fan of that).

zechs
05-17-2022, 09:57 PM
2wd gmt400.

Suburban, 1/2 ton, whatever. Bonus points for vortec 5.7 96-98 trucks as they'll get out of their own way.

99-2000 gmt400 2500 crewcab is basically a burban with a box. You get the 5.7 AND a 4l80 which will never die unlike the 4l60.

My suggestion is because miles kill resale, so why eat depreciation. Only caveat would be finding a clean one (probably $10k cdn all in imported from the USA) and having a pro install a proper modern touch screen with backup camera.

Real suggestion is either an ecodiesel or baby dmax. I can't compare a mid 2010's ram vs a newer chevy for ride quality since I haven't been in a newer chevy enough.

Alberta roads suck, I don't know if a car ever comes to mind when taking secondary roads.

Buster
05-17-2022, 10:00 PM
Mercedes GLS diesel

16hypen3sp
05-17-2022, 10:20 PM
Genesis G80 or G90

gmc72
05-18-2022, 08:15 AM
Mine was my Magnum R/T. That thing cruised like nothing I have had since. My 328 is good, but that Magnum was nice. It wasn't even that bad on gas.

SkiBum5.0
05-18-2022, 08:19 AM
First gut reaction was a 1996 Roadmaster, but I think the stereo would let it down. Going with a late model LX570 or LS600

zechs
05-18-2022, 01:52 PM
First gut reaction was a 1996 Roadmaster, but I think the stereo would let it down. Going with a late model LX570 or LS600

I forgot about the roadmaster. Fastest couch I've ever driven.

Yep, any late gen b-body is the definition of comfort. And even with the iron headed lt1, they'll do good mpg if you keep speeds sane.

Agent_Oorange
05-18-2022, 01:57 PM
Mercedes GLS diesel

I had a GLE diesel for a while, biggest piece of shit I've ever owned due to the engine, non stop emission control issues. Rest of it was alright though.

msommers
05-18-2022, 02:02 PM
Any of the Suburban/Tahoe/Expeditions rentals we've used are a dream on the highway.

vengie
05-18-2022, 02:09 PM
Realistic- F150 Platinum
Dream- GT3 Touring

killramos
05-18-2022, 02:10 PM
Is a GT3 Touring really that great for putting mindless miles on a highway?

It’s difficult to compete with a big SUV with plush suspension for that task.

I feel like a full size LWB RR with the lounge second row gets my vote these days. Non SVR. Just smooth and soft.

ercchry
05-18-2022, 02:12 PM
Anything limited to less than 180km/h by either a limiter or fuel economy going to shit (not so much cost, but increased stops to fill, also applies to electric) should not be making any lists /Alex Roy

killramos
05-18-2022, 02:16 PM
Are there many cars out there that can go over 180kph without fuel economy going to shit?

ercchry
05-18-2022, 02:21 PM
Are there many cars out there that can go over 180kph without fuel economy going to shit?

Well there is shit, then there is shit… anything shaped like a brick is proper shit… ie. suv/truck, especially with forced induction

aerodynamic car with a big old N/A engine do surprisingly better as a ratio to consumption, vettes, s-class/7 series/LS/etc will do well

And I’d say a lot of the stuff mentioned recently falls on its face way lower… like the 130-150km/h range

ThePenIsMightier
05-18-2022, 02:26 PM
The big Ferrari cars hold something like 90+L of fuel, so when you stop it will be expensive, but even at 300km/h you should be able to go for awhile.

bjstare
05-18-2022, 02:34 PM
The big Ferrari cars hold something like 90+L of fuel, so when you stop it will be expensive, but even at 300km/h you should be able to go for awhile.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that my old SL500 has an 80L tank. It's wonderful.

dirtsniffer
05-18-2022, 03:09 PM
something like a bentley continental. big powerful boat

vengie
05-18-2022, 03:11 PM
Is a GT3 Touring really that great for putting mindless miles on a highway?

It’s difficult to compete with a big SUV with plush suspension for that task.

I feel like a full size LWB RR with the lounge second row gets my vote these days. Non SVR. Just smooth and soft.

Don't you dare restrict my no restriction vehicle choice!

ExtraSlow
05-18-2022, 03:13 PM
something like a bentley continental. big powerful boat

I like this choice. Although might be a bit above my class.

03ozwhip
05-18-2022, 04:49 PM
2004 Lexus LS430. I miss that car for highway driving.

Buster
05-18-2022, 05:12 PM
you people and your l/km

SKR
05-18-2022, 05:15 PM
you people and your l/km

Not me, I picked one that gets 70-90L/100km. And it's the most comfortable. Mine was the only sensible pick so far.