PDA

View Full Version : 16th Ave & Deerfoot Intersection

V6-BoI
07-25-2019, 11:26 AM
So I encounter this intersection every day when I drive home from work. It's the intersection off the exit of Deerfoot North and 16'th Ave. I want to turn left and go onto 16'th Ave going west bound.

In the picture here:

Is the blue car on the right lane supposed to take the Blue path or the Red path? I'm always the car on the left lane, and I want the outer left turn lane to turn onto 16'th Ave. There are several times where the car on the right line starts taking the red path and almost side swipes me. When you look at the intersection, the lanes line up so the right car takes the blue path, but at the same time, it doesn't make sense for a car exiting deerfoot just to stay in a lane that's going to enter Deerfoot.

So what lane is the blue car on the right supposed to take?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-25-2019, 11:30 AM
Blue path imo, and they should be signalling to move over to the red path after the intersection if they need to.

Thaco
07-25-2019, 11:44 AM
2 lanes before the intersection, 2 lanes after the intersection, why is this even a question?

killramos
07-25-2019, 11:51 AM
2 lanes before the intersection, 2 lanes after the intersection, why is this even a question?

This. Only the left lane has the ability to choose.

ExtraSlow
07-25-2019, 11:53 AM

It's two lanes before the intersection and four after.
I'm the guy taking the red path, although I keep my head on a swivel while doing it.

firebane
07-25-2019, 12:26 PM

Calgary drivers just seem to not care about actual road rules and will do as they please. You ask why a question? Well if the op created it... it means its a problem.

I'm the guy taking the red path, although I keep my head on a swivel while doing it.

Agreed. Makes no sense to go straight into the proceeding lane if you can go into the one to the left of it without incident.

If someone in the blue path went into the red path without looking or signalling they would be at fault.

Buster
07-25-2019, 12:37 PM
What's most important to remember is that if you are on the red path, you must physically block blue path people from coming into the red path.

you&me
07-25-2019, 12:49 PM
If the driver in the right lane takes the blue path, there is no chance of confusion from other drivers.

If he (tries to) take the red path, there's a good chance of an altercation with the driver in the left lane.

(Disclaimer - I've driven through that intersection maybe 3 times in my entire life so what I think is common sense and "how things are" might be at total odds)

Sky
07-25-2019, 01:03 PM
There will always be people interpreting differently than you on who should end up where after the intersection, so always think defensive driving and assume they would cut in to your red lane. Pass them quickly or stay just behind them in case they do cut in. If I'm the first in the intersection, I'd just gun it to be ahead right away. Will always try to avoid driving right beside others or let someone stay close beside me, pick a damn spot in front or behind me.

Tik-Tok
07-25-2019, 01:14 PM
I did that turn for about a year, and always stuck to the left lane, and kept to the left. Then merged over going up the hill. Regardless of what's right and wrong for the other driver, I didn't want to get hit.

Thaco
07-25-2019, 01:14 PM
i dont see 3 until a hundred feet past the intersection.... i definitely diont see 4 in that image......

Brent.ff
07-25-2019, 01:16 PM
Think it’s fair to say that if you’re at that intersection, you should be assuming they’re going to take red and you’re taking the furthest left one. The odds of them going straight are extremely remote unless they took the wrong off ramp off deerfoot

jwslam
07-25-2019, 01:17 PM
Still easier to navigate than the mess at NB Deerfoot to WB Memorial / travelling WB Memorial

^Per above. I can't control stupid so I will take the path that I have most control over and least likely to get hit.

16hypen3sp
07-25-2019, 01:25 PM
Starting in the right lane, I don't see how taking the red path is correct at all. If there is no one to the left, sure take the red path. But taking the red path as a normal procedure, I just can't see that being right.

I also don't agree with Extraslow's 'two lanes before and four after.'

It appears to be two lanes before the intersection, two lanes immediately after the intersection which then opens up into three lanes and grows wider to four lanes to accommodate dual left turn.

Tik-Tok
07-25-2019, 01:27 PM
Still easier to navigate than the mess at NB Deerfoot to WB Memorial / travelling WB Memorial

^Per above. I can't control stupid so I will take the path that I have most control over and least likely to get hit.

I LOVE getting blocked in at Memorial/Deerfoot, when some, correction, several assholes run the yellow/red when they're going W/B to S/B

LilDrunkenSmurf
07-25-2019, 01:30 PM
I mean, it's not like you're getting off Deerfoot to get back onto Deerfoot. If you didn't turn right to get onto 16th Ave eastbound, you obviously want to go westbound, unless you're the 1% that is trying to bypass traffic. Both lanes will be turning left. Red path is what it was obviously intended to be.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.0665304,-114.027077,370m/data=!3m1!1e3

dirtsniffer
07-25-2019, 01:34 PM
you should definitely clear the intersection, establish yourself in the right lane, and signal over.

killramos
07-25-2019, 01:35 PM
If red path was the intention. The lines would have clearly been painted as such. But they weren’t, so blue path is correct regardless of how illogical it is to take the exit to go back to Deerfoot.

That North most turning lane in EB16th is free flowing, not controlled with a light, which would be the only way red path would work safely.

rx7boi
07-25-2019, 01:35 PM
As mentioned by others, car in right lane should stick with blue path. Car in left lane can choose but should also be aware that there are cars coming off 16th Eastbound either to pull a U and get back onto 16th Westbound or continue onto Deerfoot North.

Dickheads in the right lane pride themselves on thinking ahead and busting into the blue path early because that red path eventually ends way after you pass the upcoming intersection and onto the offramp going Deerfooth North.

Thaco
07-25-2019, 01:41 PM
If red path was the intention. The lines would have clearly been painted as such. But they weren’t, so blue path is correct regardless of how illogical it is to take the exit to go back to Deerfoot.

That North most turning lane in EB16th is free flowing, not controlled with a light, which would be the only way red path would work safely.

exactly, if this was the intent the lines would be like this

you&me
07-25-2019, 01:55 PM
exactly, if this was the intent the lines would be like this

That image is much more clear.

As per the original illustration, blue path is correct. There are two lanes before (south of) the intersection and two lanes after, with a third lane to the far left (west) effectively coming from the traffic turning / merging left from east bound 16th.

"Stay in your lane"

ExtraSlow
07-25-2019, 02:00 PM
Did that route daily for a while during afternoon rush hour, and if nobody did the red line, the traffic would be insane. I suspect red path is illegal, and for sure leaves room for issues, but during rush hour, it's super common. Also, using that remp to bypass stopped traffic on Deerfoot is also common. Keep your head up, don't be a baby, and we'll all get through this fine.

speedog
07-25-2019, 02:04 PM
PM rush hour, both lanes are used as through lanes by people getting a bit ahead of the mess on Deerfoot. That said, I have seen people make a left from the RH lane.
Personally I stick in the LH lane if I'm making left turn, to cut across from the RH just seems to be asking for trouble.

16hypen3sp
07-25-2019, 04:51 PM
You take the blue pill—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

ExtraSlow
07-25-2019, 08:26 PM
I always take the red pill.

Tik-Tok
07-25-2019, 10:00 PM
I take both. It's more fun.

rage2
07-25-2019, 10:54 PM
Think it’s fair to say that if you’re at that intersection, you should be assuming they’re going to take red and you’re taking the furthest left one. The odds of them going straight are extremely remote unless they took the wrong off ramp off deerfoot
Except during rush hour when everyone takes the blue path as a faster route than staying on deerfoot.

This shitty design is exactly why this is the most dangerous intersection in Calgary with the highest number of accidents. It’s #2 in Canada as well.

ExtraSlow
07-25-2019, 11:08 PM
Need to make it a diverging diamond!

spikerS
07-26-2019, 06:00 AM
Need to make it a diverging diamond!

probably a good idea. However, I hope they don't as I use the intersection to skirt a lot of rush hour traffic going northbound in the afternoon.

Brent.ff
07-26-2019, 06:14 AM
Had never thought about using it to skirt traffic. Did it yesterday. Brilliant!

speedog
07-26-2019, 06:31 AM
Had never thought about using it to skirt traffic. Did it yesterday. Brilliant!
Well crap, another person on to that good little diversion.

Brent.ff
07-26-2019, 07:18 AM
Well crap, another person on to that good little diversion.

Im probably ahead of most by an hour or two, but it still helps. I have added it to my deerfoot slalom routing!

V6-BoI
07-26-2019, 08:21 AM
Alright, looks like the consensus is the blue path even though it may not make sense. Just looked at street view and the lanes and signs are clearly marked:

I just need to justify getting angry when people on right take the red path and don't treat it like a lane change.

killramos
07-26-2019, 08:48 AM
It all makes sense. It’s just not what some people want it to be.

ExtraSlow
07-26-2019, 09:05 AM
It all makes sense. It’s just not what some people want it to be.
And there's always people who will game the system to get where they want to go a little faster.

Brent.ff
07-26-2019, 09:06 AM
And there's always people who will game the system to get where they want to go a little faster.

It's all in the game, yo

rx7boi
07-26-2019, 09:11 AM
Alright, looks like the consensus is the blue path even though it may not make sense.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

speedog
07-26-2019, 05:17 PM
Im probably ahead of most by an hour or two, but it still helps. I have added it to my deerfoot slalom routing!

The real sneaky ones pull the same thing at 32nd Avenue although there it is quite illegal per the existing signage.

Maxt
07-27-2019, 07:39 PM
In the afternoon, its common for traffic to go straight through the intersection to later take the 32 ave turn and bypass the crawling northbound traffic on deerfoot.

Edit: should have read the second page before posting. Other people know the sneak too..

speedog
07-27-2019, 10:21 PM
So SB in the AM rush, how many do the same over the top short cut as can be done in the NB PM rush? I don't because my SB travels when using Deerfoot in the AM are usually taking me past 17th Ave so getting into the LH lane quickly after getting on at 32nd or McKnight is paramount.