PDA

View Full Version : Over the top/extravagant items in homes

speedog
07-28-2019, 09:41 AM
So I've been doing the cabinet installation/service gig for around 4 years now and have done work in places that range from low end rentals to very high end homes.

Over the years, some of the stuff I've seen in homes is quite mind boggling at times. 6 inch thick glass sinks, 6 inch thick polished black stone sinks, wood sinks, motion activated kitchen taps, a hood fan that pushed out 2,000 cm. In the past year, one home with 13.5 foot ceilings in the kitchen and cabinets that went right up to the ceiling, bottoms of the uppermost cabinets was 10.5 feet. Cabjnwts with hand painted accents, electrically operated drawers.

A home in Canmore with polished concrete floors on all levels. Garages with amazing internal drainage systems. Very recently a home in Bel Aire that had an island that measured 92x93 inches, I had to stretch almost to my limits to touch the middle of that piece of stone which was 2.5 inches thick - a ridiculously heavy chunk of stone.

Lighting, shit I've seen some incredibly beautiful stuff and then some really bizarre stuff. I've installed floating shelves in front of tile and mirrors, quite challenging to do and not damage the tile/mirror at the same time and then have to make sure it's strong and secure enough not to set or put too much pressure on the tiles or mirror.

Dressing rooms that are over 350 square feet, showers with 12 foot tall glass walls, bathrooms and bars with cabinets 10 feet up on the walls. 1.25" thick granite back splashes, homes that have in floor heating in every room including the utility room.

There honestly is no limit to what people will put in their homes, just when I think I've seen it all then I see something even more over the top.

Tell me what you've seen that's quite unbelievable in a home.

Darell_n
07-28-2019, 10:49 AM
How about 8 giant golden flying horse statues on your front steps? Can’t think of anything more obnoxious and tacky than that.

But seriously, I’ve installed a walk-in cooler and freezer in a home owner’s kitchen before. That might be a little overkill.

SKR
07-28-2019, 11:33 AM
I was talking to a friend about custom built homes, and she mentioned one of her friends had built one and had a slide from the second to the first floor. These people did not have children.

AndyL
07-28-2019, 11:38 AM
I remember a garage, 4 car, 4 lifts, 4 exotics on top walls of snap on that would make any mechanic drool...

Spikers can probably fill in some details on a buddies house, it was super impressive other than the swat removed front door lol.

Tik-Tok
07-28-2019, 11:40 AM
Spikers can probably fill in some details on a buddies house, it was super impressive other than the swat removed front door lol.

Did they find any stolen DVD players?

AndyL
07-28-2019, 11:49 AM
Did they find any stolen DVD players?

No but they didn't much like his new desert eagle

ThePenIsMightier
07-28-2019, 11:56 AM
How about 8 giant golden flying horse statues on your front steps? Can’t think of anything more obnoxious and tacky than that.

What is the story with that fuckin place, anyway?!
They've put kind of a berm there within the last year and those sea cans are a nice touch.

Tik-Tok
07-28-2019, 12:07 PM
They've put kind of a berm there within the last year and those sea cans are a nice touch.

Rich Chinese family trying to looks like a Wealthy Chinese family. Proof that money doesn't buy taste.

spikerS
07-28-2019, 12:41 PM

Yeah, that was a job and a half to fix after SWAT had their fun on that mansion.

But no, not willing to go into too many details about what was there out of respect for the dude's privacy. I will say this however, guy had close to a million dollars in cars in his garage, but daily drove a Nissan Rogue...

Having said that, he was the best client I ever had. If I told him I needed more cash or the next step in payment, he cut a cheque on the spot, no questions asked. He was also very particular and knew what he wanted and wouldn't accept less than perfection, but then again, he was paying for it too.

D'z Nutz
07-28-2019, 12:47 PM
I haven't seen it myself, but a friend of mine knows someone who put a chandelier in her walk in closet among other really tacky things around the house I don't remember. She said she wasn't sure if they just had bad taste in things or if the wife deliberately put in terrible things to discourage the husband from selling that house because they made money from flipping homes and she was probably tired of all the constant moving.

AndyL
07-28-2019, 12:50 PM
Awesome ;) hopefully more work comes from it.

Yeah I remember the picture you sent. I drooled.

370Z
07-28-2019, 03:11 PM
Yeah, that was a job and a half to fix after SWAT had their fun on that mansion.

But no, not willing to go into too many details about what was there out of respect for the dude's privacy. I will say this however, guy had close to a million dollars in cars in his garage, but daily drove a Nissan Rogue...

Having said that, he was the best client I ever had. If I told him I needed more cash or the next step in payment, he cut a cheque on the spot, no questions asked. He was also very particular and knew what he wanted and wouldn't accept less than perfection, but then again, he was paying for it too.

Nothing in this world is as smooth as a CVT transmission.

- - - Updated - - -

Is this the Jager Homes owner's mansion? What I find incredibly fascinating from the pics is that nothing in there is actually Chinese or even remotely Asian?

JRSC00LUDE
07-28-2019, 08:56 PM
There's a house for sale here (4 million) with an ensuite bathtub that is shaped like a stiletto heel pump.

adam c
07-28-2019, 09:36 PM
I had an ex who’s uncles house had every square foot of floor, stairs, and counters be marble, not a single patch of carpet in the whole house

schurchill39
07-28-2019, 09:40 PM
There's a house for sale here (4 million) with an ensuite bathtub that is shaped like a stiletto heel pump.

Sounds like something you might find out at the Willows or on the non-sinking side of Sask Crescent.

topmade
07-28-2019, 10:08 PM
I worked for a lighting store a while ago and the most expensive chandeliers were about $20k and once in a while someone would walk in and ask if we had anything more expensive........

JRSC00LUDE
07-28-2019, 10:27 PM
Sounds like something you might find out at the Willows or on the non-sinking side of Sask Crescent.

Sask Crescent near University bridge haha

jwslam
07-29-2019, 08:01 AM
y'all need some pix to back this shit up

BavarianBeast
07-29-2019, 08:07 AM
How about a Zonda divider wall?

https://miami.curbed.com/2018/7/5/17526626/miami-architecture-pagani-zonda-condo-art

JRSC00LUDE
07-29-2019, 08:20 AM
y'all need some pix to back this shit up

https://www.century21.ca/fusion/Property/SK/S7N_0L6/Saskatoon/934_Saskatchewan_CRESCENT_E

Dumbest bathtub ever awaits haha

BavarianBeast
07-29-2019, 08:40 AM
Jesus that’s one ugly house

Could that realistically even sell for $2M in Saskatoon? Wouldn’t even be a $3 or $4M house in Mount Royal.

mr2mike
07-29-2019, 09:06 AM
I was talking to a friend about custom built homes, and she mentioned one of her friends had built one and had a slide from the second to the first floor. These people did not have children.
And a swing in the bedroom? :devil:

JRSC00LUDE
07-29-2019, 10:47 AM
Jesus that’s one ugly house

Could that realistically even sell for $2M in Saskatoon? Wouldn’t even be a $3 or $4M house in Mount Royal.

It seems like way too much. My friend is selling this 2 blocks down the street for under half. Better house imo

https://www.royallepage.ca/en/property/saskatchewan/saskatoon/858-saskatchewan-cres-e/9550648/mlssk766944/

you&me
07-29-2019, 11:51 AM
It seems like way too much. My friend is selling this 2 blocks down the street for under half. Better house imo

https://www.royallepage.ca/en/property/saskatchewan/saskatoon/858-saskatchewan-cres-e/9550648/mlssk766944/

The opaque glass door to the toilet in the master bath is a nice touch... not entirely private while maintaining a nice touch of mystery for you and your spouse, you know, to keep your relationship both open and exciting at the same time :D

msommers
07-29-2019, 12:13 PM

https://www.century21.ca/fusion/Property/SK/S7N_0L6/Saskatoon/934_Saskatchewan_CRESCENT_E

Dumbest bathtub ever awaits haha

Seeing is believing. Wow.

https://images.century21.ca/Listings/MLS/50/SK778282/37240E8E83FFD6F0941B7095A8DAB346.Jpg

https://images.century21.ca/Listings/MLS/50/SK778282/CFF346F2E14534330A3E6A7D453BD8F3.Jpg

bjstare
07-29-2019, 12:20 PM
$4.6M is downright comical

Disoblige
07-30-2019, 01:12 PM
That is a pretty stupid looking bathtub. I could see it being removed immediately post-sale lol.

you&me
07-30-2019, 01:20 PM
In that case, I would guess the insanely stupid asking price will preclude the removal of the pretty stupid bathtub

msommers
07-30-2019, 01:21 PM
Showed my fiance that tub, she just laughed and said that it's really just awful and tacky. Then we both laughed about a 4 MM property in Sask.

Which started a hunt for what she'd buy, and was sent this:

Swank
07-30-2019, 01:22 PM
Seeing is believing. Wow.

Crazy shoe tub pics

If the water comes out at the top of the heel (which I bet it does) then from a functionality standpoint I think that'd be pretty sweet. It would also only be a matter of time before a drunken party goer tries it out as a water slide and lands on their head.

infamous
07-30-2019, 01:40 PM
it's amazing what people will spend money on; especially for their houses. I've seen all kinds of stuff from a turntable in a garage for a car (bel aire) to hidden bars and secret rooms. motorized chandeliers for easy bulb replacement, that are over top of a staircase. stupidly sophisticated security systems and home automation systems; they always seem to cause more grief than they help lol. one guy I worked for had a walk in closet big enough that when we were moving some of his stuff we tossed a football around....seeing wine rooms that easily outvalue my whole house....another guy I do some work for occasionally has a rug in his front entrance that is 20k cheaper than my house lol.

as far as the shoe tub goes, I like how clean the install was done, but if anything ever goes wrong what a pita to work on!

lilmira
07-30-2019, 01:43 PM
I can’t say if I like that tub or not. I can’t afford the tub nor a house that can match the tub.

They do make some interesting things, none of them I can afford lol.
https://www.sicis.com/en_gb/mosaic/bathtub

msommers
07-30-2019, 01:57 PM
Their swimming pool design work is fucking nice, wow.

Buster
07-30-2019, 02:12 PM
. Then we both laughed about a 4 MM property in Sask.

this

ExtraSlow
07-30-2019, 02:24 PM
You never want the most expensive house on the block, at any price point.

RX_EVOLV
07-30-2019, 02:49 PM
Am I the only one that sees a Chinese soup spoon instead of a shoe??

speedog
07-30-2019, 02:51 PM

It is what you want it to be.

civicHB
07-30-2019, 03:05 PM
tough crowd, I personally do not mind the overall room and stiletto bathtub.

revelations
07-30-2019, 03:13 PM
A home I was in Upper Mount Royal had Lucifer-everything. Bats, gremlins and a copper ceiling panel setup.

They also had a 8x8x10 FULLY mirrored room. It was the strangest thing.

Disoblige
07-30-2019, 03:49 PM
A home I was in Upper Mount Royal had Lucifer-everything. Bats, gremlins and a copper ceiling panel setup.

They also had a 8x8x10 FULLY mirrored room. It was the strangest thing.
How else are you going to view your butt hole contract while being choked?

B.Spilner
07-30-2019, 04:00 PM
Painted a house a few years back with a waterfall from second story down to basment, you opened the front door and that's the first thing you saw.

He also had a huge compass imprinted In his driveway.

ThePenIsMightier
07-30-2019, 04:43 PM
Ever stayed at Azuridge?
That used to be a private residence and they barely had to do anything to it to make it a hotel.
Fuck. Off. It's. Extravagant.
https://www.azuridgehotel.com/

revelations
07-30-2019, 05:29 PM
How else are you going to view your butt hole contract while being choked?

True - but the room was completely empty. No furniture - almost as if it was used for some kind of psi effect or something? I couldn't stay inside too long as I was getting vertigo.

ExtraSlow
07-30-2019, 05:46 PM
Ever stayed at Azuridge?
That used to be a private residence and they barely had to do anything to it to make it a hotel.

Is that the place you look out at from the priddis golf club?

The_Penguin
07-30-2019, 05:50 PM

No, no you're not.

mr2mike
07-30-2019, 06:27 PM
Is that the place you look out at from the priddis golf club?
Yes.

Ever stayed at Azuridge?
Did the wood refinishing out there for a summer job when it was recently sold to Haworth office furniture.
Insanely great lot, views, and epic garage.

Rumor was that it was built by a Bre-X top guy.

ThePenIsMightier
07-30-2019, 07:26 PM
Yes.

Did the wood refinishing out there for a summer job when it was recently sold to Haworth office furniture.
Insanely great lot, views, and epic garage.

Rumor was that it was built by a Bre-X top guy.

There is no secret. It was a guy named Mogens Smed's house.
Now formerly of DIRTT but I don't believe he was ever BreX.

you&me
07-30-2019, 08:04 PM
Formerly of DIRTT?

Or do you mean, "formerly of SMED"... SMED closed down, became DIRTT (Do It Right This Time).

I went to high school with some of the Smed boys and got to see the house, as a house, on a couple of occasions.

Darkane
07-30-2019, 08:18 PM
It was SMEDs. I’ve been there many years ago delivering appliances no less.

He would entertain huge clients as his company did office furniture sales and instal.

I heard some stories about that place, oh boy. Those who know, know.

ThePenIsMightier
07-30-2019, 08:33 PM
Formerly of DIRTT?

Or do you mean, "formerly of SMED"... SMED closed down, became DIRTT (Do It Right This Time).

I went to high school with some of the Smed boys and got to see the house, as a house, on a couple of occasions.

Both. He's been fired from DIRTT (the company he founded, after) and already got another company going, which DIRTT is suing him for claiming violation of non-compete clause.
Your personal Azuridge butler will tell you all about Mogens while he gives you a tour of the property.

Edit: his new company is called Falk, partly because he doesn't want to... You figure it out!

Buster
07-30-2019, 08:47 PM
We go out there for dinner from time to time. One if the best restaurants in Alberta IMO

Gaxir
07-31-2019, 02:35 AM

This is crazy. I have a friend in Greece and she is buying property in Athens (https://tranio.com/greece/attica/athens/) where she will have a slide from the terrace on the 2nd floor to the swimming pool outside. Probably it's a lot of fun.

Masked Bandit
08-01-2019, 08:32 AM
How about a full hockey arena with proper boards & glass, score clock, stands, multiple dressing rooms and a zamboni? Yep, just South of town.

JRSC00LUDE
08-01-2019, 09:11 AM
How about a full hockey arena with proper boards & glass, score clock, stands, multiple dressing rooms and a zamboni? Yep, just South of town.

pffffffft. Likely isn't even regulation NHL size.

Tik-Tok
08-01-2019, 09:19 AM
pffffffft. Likely isn't even regulation NHL size.

If it was, the city could just buy it and save $500 million on a new arena.

AndyL
08-01-2019, 09:50 AM
If it was, the city could just buy it and save $500 million on a new arena.

Don't give them ideas it's within anexation distance

Edit and nenshi probably thinks he deserves a castle :rofl:

nismodrifter
08-01-2019, 09:52 AM
damn, did not know about Azuridge being a private residence. Baller as F.

killramos
08-01-2019, 10:01 AM
There was a house with a legal airstrip and attached hangar for sale down by nanton recently.

That would be epic.

JRSC00LUDE
08-01-2019, 10:15 AM
There was a house with a legal airstrip and attached hangar for sale down by nanton recently.

That would be epic.

What kind of peasant needs an airstrip? The kind of poser who can't afford a helicopter.

revelations
08-01-2019, 10:31 AM
What kind of peasant needs an airstrip? The kind of poser who can't afford a helicopter.

Helicopters tend to be good in the city - or nearby areas. Most small planes will get you longer distances, faster and cheaper.

Also, much easier learning curve and more forgiving on average, than a helicopter.

JRSC00LUDE
08-01-2019, 10:45 AM
Helicopters tend to be good in the city - or nearby areas. Most small planes will get you longer distances, faster and cheaper.

Also, much easier learning curve and more forgiving on average, than a helicopter.

This paragraph reeks of a 5 figure income.

killramos
08-01-2019, 10:47 AM

Isn’t that below the poverty line?

JRSC00LUDE
08-01-2019, 10:49 AM
Exactly.

you&me
08-01-2019, 10:49 AM
There seems to be an awful lot of elevators in new-builds and not exclusively in the type or size of homes you'd expect... I'm talking pretty normal infills (judging by the elevator company signs I see on the construction fencing).

The ones I've been in are small and slow... Friends of ours have one in the house they built, but it makes sense because they need it for their daughter who's confined to a wheelchair. Other people I know with one are on the older side, so I guess they're planning ahead. But it still seems like a pretty common thing... More common than I'd expect to address handicapped people or future-proofing for the elderly.

ThePenIsMightier
08-01-2019, 11:04 AM
damn, did not know about Azuridge being a private residence. Baller as F.

Just to clarify, it WAS... It's no longer.
*I gather you had captured this.

revelations
08-01-2019, 11:34 AM

I dont follow - what part of the paragraph is untrue?

Small planes can had by folks with 6 figure incomes (think farmer in a remote area with a grass strip), while helicopters for personal use like this, youd see owners typically over 7 figures.