PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control - Do you use it..?

tonytiger55
08-07-2019, 12:55 AM
How many of you use Cruise Control on the highway..? Especially going through the mountains in B.C...?

So I did a road trip to Seattle via Vancouver this weekend. I took it easy, kept to the speed limit and had my cruise control on. I did not want to push the old beast too hard.

I got overtaken a lot. No big deal. I kept out of the way.
But as soon as the road went uphill. I found myself re-overtaking most people, by that I mean the same people who had just overtaken me. Some did not like it.

As I slowly re-overtook in my old Honda. I could sense the unease when glancing over. I could feel the scathing eyes of the proud housewife. You could sense that they paid $38,795 with 0% down for their Hyundai Santa Fey. But that pride was lost only to be overtaken by a old design.
A design whose engineering linage could be traced back to old Samurai swordmakers back in the 16th century.
I could see her barking at her poor husband with a look of anger and confusion, 'how is this possible...?'. The poor husband just glanced over. You could see the look of anguish and despair on his face. You could tell he was tired of putting up with her.
Beads of sweat dripped from his forehead. He attempted to correct this, while he waited for his vehicle to shift...it was already too late.

Despite the rust, and the air conditioning not working...the old Millennium Falcon still had a bit of life left in her. As I shifted down a gear, sometimes two. The old beast launched into 130kph hyperspace with ease as I pulled away from the pack. I had to do this quite a few times to create space.

When I got to Vancouver, I parked up. I jolted slightly as I looked out of my right window. This was the scene that greeted me.

Who puts a toilet in their front garden..? Was it anticipation that I would be arriving and a shrine was constructed in my honour..? Who know.

The drive to Seattle was worse. It was like level 2 of a video game. The road looked different, drivers had no concept of who was around them and many just did not know how to drive at speed.
I would be overtaken and then they would slow down. I actually had to change my driving style with more aggressive gear changes and ditch the cruise control. I had not driven like that since leaving London. Mind you it was fun.

The drive back to Calgary was a bit annoying. In particularly on the curvy parts of single lanes near Sicamouse. Same issue. My speed was constant. Others were not.

So my original question, how many of you use cruise control on the highway? Does anyone else notice other cars slowing down after they have overtaken you..?
Non users, are you away of the slight speed changes when hitting a incline?

Toilet_X
08-07-2019, 04:44 AM
Never had any use for cruise control..... but a toilet on the front lawn has always been a dream of mine! Imagine defacating while telling those damn neighborhood kids to stay off your lawn!

gmc72
08-07-2019, 06:47 AM
I use it a lot when I'm on the highway. Set it at 10 over the limit and adjust as I come up on other traffic. I've had people come flying by me on a straight, then slow to 10 under the limit when they get to a corner, then accelerate again. The worst is when people decide that the passing lane is the only place they can go fast, so they speed up to 130-140 then do 90 after the passing lane ends. Annoying!! There were a few times last week when I had to get up to 160 just to pass some of these idiots.

ShermanEF9
08-07-2019, 07:03 AM
Only time it really comes off is when I come up behind people going slower, or in the turns before Golden. Next mod is going to be adding adaptive cruise to my truck.

rage2
08-07-2019, 07:07 AM
My cruise control handles throttle and brakes and steering. It’s on 100% on the highway. I pretty much do nothing except to pass in passing lanes. Had to drive entering Golden, the system wasn’t good enough to self drive through those tighter turns.

People going 40 over in BC passing lanes are annoying as fuck, especially when cops are camping at the end of the lanes. I saw 6 cops on the way out to Kamloops, all 6 camped at the end of the lanes ticketing and towing cars. Fuck BC.

Driving to Edmonton was a dream. Car did everything the whole drive, just flick the signal and it’ll change lanes to pass, flick again to get back to slow lane.

killramos
08-07-2019, 07:20 AM
Love cruise. Radar cruise even better.

schurchill39
08-07-2019, 07:47 AM
I'm all about that cruise control life. And I'm with you OP, it drives me BONKERS when people haul ass past you only to slow down in a few KM and you over take them because you've kept your speed constant. I do the drive to Saskatoon or Medicine Hat frequently enough and what I've noticed is that when they slow down its usually because they are on their phone. Once their text or what ever is done they pick up the pace again. I remember one trip to the Hat where I essentially played leap frog with this car from Strathmore to Brooks. My wife had to talk me off the ledge a couple times there.

TL/DR: Yep I use cruise control.

RX_EVOLV
08-07-2019, 08:08 AM
When I had adaptive cruise control in my last car I used it all the time, but our 'new' car doesn't haven't it so I don't really use it anymore, except to stretch my legs for a couple of minutes.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-07-2019, 08:26 AM
I use it always however I had the misfortune of driving a Impreza with Eyesight to B.C. this past weekend and it was horrible. Not only did the radar cruise suck in most cases (stopped using it pretty quickly) but the car is woefully underpowered. I had to drive at maximum attack almost everywhere to make any decent progress.

I also use cruise a ton in the city too, get up to speed and set it.

LilDrunkenSmurf
08-07-2019, 08:35 AM
Radar cruise is fantastic on highways like that. It can get annoying on congested roads, as it leaves just enough room for assholes to cut you off, and the car brakes hard to compensate.

pf0sh0
08-07-2019, 08:40 AM
My cruise control handles throttle and brakes and steering. It’s on 100% on the highway. I pretty much do nothing except to pass in passing lanes. Had to drive entering Golden, the system wasn’t good enough to self drive through those tighter turns.

People going 40 over in BC passing lanes are annoying as fuck, especially when cops are camping at the end of the lanes. I saw 6 cops on the way out to Kamloops, all 6 camped at the end of the lanes ticketing and towing cars. Fuck BC.

Driving to Edmonton was a dream. Car did everything the whole drive, just flick the signal and it’ll change lanes to pass, flick again to get back to slow lane.

Adaptive cruise FTW.

Anyone ever use it during traffic on work commutes? The odd time I would, but I don't battle much traffic anymore.

taemo
08-07-2019, 09:01 AM
use it for highway and long driving all the time. why get foot pain when CC is there?

set it to 5-10kmh over the speed limit and just relax. goes off only when I want to over take or up hill

Mitsu3000gt
08-07-2019, 09:16 AM
I use it, but since nobody else seems to, it can be very annoying and there are times I turn it off.

Autonomous cruse is good for some roads, and painful on others - I've yet to see a system that doesn't leave too much space in front of you, so everyone behind you thinks you're the slow one and proceeds to tailgate and/or people keep moving in front of you, cutting you off and forcing the system to slam the brakes.

I think it's best when you're stuck in a giant line of vehicles with no hope of passing on an undivided highway, then you can just relax and let it do its thing pacing the car in front of you. I find it annoying on highways like QE2 because of how other drivers behave.

vengie
08-07-2019, 09:20 AM
I use it pretty much all the time with the exception of adverse weather.

One of my biggest pet peeves is the inability of modern society to maintain their god damn speed on the highway, and they end up right pissed off at you because they keeping having to pass you.

"BITCH MY SPEED HASN'T CHANGED IN 4 HOURS!"

Misterman
08-07-2019, 09:21 AM
I started using cruise all the time now. Basically a necessity near Edmonton, as doing a natural speed that is safe and prudent for conditions will most certainly land you a speeding ticket.

Main thing I notice is people speeding up as I pass them. So usually mid pass they start pacing me, and then someone else gets on my ass and I look like the asshole for not completing my pass. So I have to hammer down to get by the dickhead.

On the highway I routinely get people who try to coat tail. Think they can use you as a shield for cops ahead.

ExtraSlow
08-07-2019, 09:23 AM
I have a foolproof system for tailgaters. If I'm cruising along in the mountains at 105 and someone is tailgating me for more than a few minutes, I slow down. At 95 km/h, they don't stay behind me for long as they are more easily able to pass. I've tested that system quite a few times on various roads and I find it super effective. I can resume my desired speed once they are in front of me again.

Don't have that fancy radar cruise on my of my cars. Borrowed a Lexus IS350 and found it annoying, but maybe I'd get used to it.

Swank
08-07-2019, 09:30 AM
And don't you just love it when people speed up when you move over to pass them? I don't get why so many people get offended when they are passed. Also drives me nuts that all of the passing lanes are uphill in BC, always seems to be some little 80 hp shitbox trying to pass a semi or RV and it takes it the whole passing lane to do it screwing the rest of us over.

schocker
08-07-2019, 09:30 AM
I use my radar cruise everyday city or highway. So much nicer than normal cruise with the spastic drivers around here. Works well at high or low speeds though mine doesn't restart after coming to a stop if more than a few seconds.

topmade
08-07-2019, 10:00 AM
I never used to use it and only started when I started to travel for work and now I use it all the time and it prevents me from speeding unknowingly. Adaptive cruise FTW! Don't like the auto steer thing or maybe it's just the shitty rentals I've tried it on.

I use it pretty much all the time with the exception of adverse weather.

One of my biggest pet peeves is the inability of modern society to maintain their god damn speed on the highway, and they end up right pissed off at you because they keeping having to pass you.

"BITCH MY SPEED HASN'T CHANGED IN 4 HOURS!"

Yup, so many times I would pass the same damn car multiple times and I can see them think I'm playing with them when all I am doing is cruising and they are the idiots going up/down with their speed.

Sentry
08-07-2019, 10:02 AM
Never really use it, even on trips.

But I like to go as fast as I can get away with, which means speeding when there's clear sight lines and slowing down when there's hill crests or blind corners. Cruise isn't really for me I guess.

Tik-Tok
08-07-2019, 10:10 AM
I use it daily on pretty much every road that isn't littered with traffic lights. And yes, it drives me nuts when other people don't on the highway (even Deerfoot). Constant zoom past me, slow down behind me, zoom past me, slow down behind me.

brucebanner
08-07-2019, 10:41 AM
Use it all the time(highway, in town etc) or I find myself speeding too much. My tundra has radar/ adaptive cruise. Wife hates it, it's growing on me. Biggest gripe of that feature: if I'm not paying attention to the speed, all of a sudden I'm doing 10-15kph less since I'm just pacing the car in front of me. It's surprising how many people drive below the speed limit.

shakalaka
08-07-2019, 11:43 AM
I use it all the time between Calgary to Edmonton. I am sure I would use it for BC driving to. Haven't gone out there since January 2018 when I picked up a vehicle so don't remember but I am sure I did.

90_Shelby
08-07-2019, 11:44 AM
I had a rental BMW 128d estate in Europe a few years back and it had a top speed limiter that you could set, so you could drive with your foot or cruise but it would limit your max speed when passing etc if you floored it. Is this option/ feature common? I haven’t seen it on other vehicles since.

Disoblige
08-07-2019, 11:46 AM
I had a rental BMW 128d estate in Europe a few years back and it had a top speed limiter that you could set, so you could drive with your foot or cruise but it would limit your max speed when passing etc if you floored it. Is this option/ feature common? I haven’t seen it on other vehicles since.
I rented a Mustang here before and it had a 130 km/h speed limiter.
Funny because you could rent another car (ex: Turbo Volvo, etc.) without a limiter and go like 140+ no problem.

Tik-Tok
08-07-2019, 11:57 AM
I rented a Mustang here before and it had a 130 km/h speed limiter.
Funny because you could rent another car (ex: Turbo Volvo, etc.) without a limiter and go like 140+ no problem.

I think 90_Shelby means an adjustable speed limiter, so you can set it to say 105km/h, turn it on, and you wouldn't accidentally go faster than that until you turned it off.

botox
08-07-2019, 11:59 AM

I've rented a lot of vehicles and only 1 had a limiter which was a ford f-150 set to 130. Even the higher rentals didn't have any limiters.

Misterman
08-07-2019, 11:59 AM
I have a foolproof system for tailgaters. If I'm cruising along in the mountains at 105 and someone is tailgating me for more than a few minutes, I slow down. At 95 km/h, they don't stay behind me for long as they are more easily able to pass. I've tested that system quite a few times on various roads and I find it super effective. I can resume my desired speed once they are in front of me again.

Don't have that fancy radar cruise on my of my cars. Borrowed a Lexus IS350 and found it annoying, but maybe I'd get used to it.

We have totally opposite luck with coat tailers. I do the slow down thing too. Eventually, if I get like 10-20km under the limit they will pass. But they immediately set their own cruise at the speed limit. As soon as I resume my speed, I end up passing them again and then they speed up again to pace me from behind. Only thing I've found that works is some very angry fist out the window and yelling slurs, indicating that perhaps I am fucking nuts. Sometimes that scares them into just sticking to whatever speed they were doing prior to my arrival and let me continue on my way. Otherwise the only cure is to just go fast enough they pussy out and then drop my speed once they're out of sight.

gmc72
08-07-2019, 12:23 PM

I can set a maximum speed on my 328, but I think it is only an audible warning, not an actual limit.

Buster
08-07-2019, 12:31 PM
We have totally opposite luck with coat tailers. I do the slow down thing too. Eventually, if I get like 10-20km under the limit they will pass. But they immediately set their own cruise at the speed limit. As soon as I resume my speed, I end up passing them again and then they speed up again to pace me from behind. Only thing I've found that works is some very angry fist out the window and yelling slurs, indicating that perhaps I am fucking nuts. Sometimes that scares them into just sticking to whatever speed they were doing prior to my arrival and let me continue on my way. Otherwise the only cure is to just go fast enough they pussy out and then drop my speed once they're out of sight.

why do you care whats going on behind you?

Sugarphreak
08-07-2019, 12:36 PM

msommers
08-07-2019, 01:28 PM
When I was working in the field, I drove a lot between Calgary and northern Alberta. It didn't matter what time or where, there were routinely someone who would pass me, slow down so I pass them, have them pass me again...it was this weird dance of them vs. my cruise control. I'd notice I would pass people a lot going up a hill, only to have them pass me when it was flat again.

I suppose if not using cruise control keeps them awake and alert, have at er'. But this weird passing situation is one I rarely encountered in Europe, and I drove a lot. Just another example of how the average NA driver is really piss poor behind the wheel.

Also tonytiger55, you need to write a book -- it could be the Seinfeld of your life's adventures. Your writing style is engaging and incredibly hilarious!

tirebob
08-07-2019, 02:08 PM
Cruise control is life for me! Keeps me from getting tickets and keeps me relaxed. I find without cruise on I tend to drive as fast as the world in front of me and then need to pass but with cruise I hang out in the slow lane and everyone goes past me so never any frustration with the slow down and speed up drivers.

Buster
08-07-2019, 02:19 PM
I seem to run into this a lot. Somebody comes up quickly from behind... but then they start tail gating instead of passing. So you drop your speed a few to encourage them to pass... no dice. Then ramp up your speed to much faster, they start to fall behind... however they catch up to you within a few km's. I blame the new adaptive cruise control systems, people driving don't pay attention and the car just sticks to your ass like glue.

Best solution I've come up with is when you are coming up to another car to pass, get going really fast... then, right after you pass, get back into right lane and slow down quickly. Adaptive cruise control loses it's target and the offending car shoots past you at far more than the speed limit off into the horizon. They usually find another car to get stuck behind up head, and just make sure to execute a quick pass on them if you catch up.

With high gas prices people will intentionally draft your vehicle these days to get better mileage

It feels like I am towing a boat when somebody gets into the right sweet spot

Well ya, if someone is tailgating. But if they are just behind you matching speed?

tonytiger55
08-07-2019, 02:35 PM
Also tonytiger55, you need to write a book -- it could be the Seinfeld of your life's adventures. Your writing style is engaging and incredibly hilarious!

Glad you find it entertaining. It really is how I see the world around me.

I almost did something similar. When I was living in London, I was almost keeping a blog of when I would go dating. Some of the characters I met were quite extreme.

Misterman
08-07-2019, 02:35 PM
why do you care whats going on behind you?

If you're too chicken to take your turn in the lead and risk the demerits, then you're certainly not going to benefit from using me as your shield. It's a simple principle of respect.

And if you are going to be a scumbag like that, at least have the common decency to follow at a far back distance and not up somebodies ass.

I seem to run into this a lot. Somebody comes up quickly from behind... but then they start tail gating instead of passing. So you drop your speed a few to encourage them to pass... no dice. Then ramp up your speed to much faster, they start to fall behind... however they catch up to you within a few km's. I blame the new adaptive cruise control systems, people driving don't pay attention and the car just sticks to your ass like glue.

Best solution I've come up with is when you are coming up to another car to pass, get going really fast... then, right after you pass, get back into right lane and slow down quickly. Adaptive cruise control loses it's target and the offending car shoots past you at far more than the speed limit off into the horizon. They usually find another car to get stuck behind up head, and just make sure to execute a quick pass on them if you catch up.

This coat tailing phenomenon is a very purposeful action that takes place frequently in Alberta. Slingshotting around some other vehicle doesn't help against this.

brucebanner
08-07-2019, 02:54 PM

x2

Glad you find it entertaining. It really is how I see the world around me.

I almost did something similar. When I was living in London, I was almost keeping a blog of when I would go dating. Some of the characters I met were quite extreme.

Please share :rofl:

Buster
08-07-2019, 03:15 PM
If you're too chicken to take your turn in the lead and risk the demerits, then you're certainly not going to benefit from using me as your shield. It's a simple principle of respect.

And if you are going to be a scumbag like that, at least have the common decency to follow at a far back distance and not up somebodies ass.

This coat tailing phenomenon is a very purposeful action that takes place frequently in Alberta. Slingshotting around some other vehicle doesn't help against this.

I find not caring about other people empowering.

JAYMEZ
08-07-2019, 04:58 PM
Hell, I forgot I had cruise control. I haven't used it in over 10 years I'm guessing.

03ozwhip
08-07-2019, 05:20 PM
Hell, I forgot I had cruise control. I haven't used it in over 10 years I'm guessing.

Worst first post back ever.

rage2
08-07-2019, 05:58 PM
Adaptive cruise FTW.

Anyone ever use it during traffic on work commutes? The odd time I would, but I don't battle much traffic anymore.
All the time. I feel like a barely drive on my commute these days. Only drive when there’s fun off ramps and corners when there’s no traffic.

My car sorta has this. Set the top limit to be +x kmh above speed limit (it recognizes speed signs so it always knows the current limit) but it only warns. In Europe it’s actually a real speed limiter. Must be a European only thing because of legislation.

CRXguy
08-07-2019, 06:53 PM
I'm in Seattle right now and driving on the I-5 is really something. No one cares about KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS. I'm talking about outside of the city. I just found out today it's legal to jump in and out of the HOV lane if you want to pass someone if you're in the HOV lane. It's illegal when there's a double solid. I thought people were just dicks doing that before. :rofl: Not sure if the same rule applies in Vancouver but I did that too. All this annoying driving habit happens in Vancouver too. Must be the the Pacific breeze. I do have to say that Vancouver/Richmond drivers are pretty good at backing into parking stalls.

CRXguy
08-07-2019, 06:57 PM

I left last Thursday trying to beat the long weekend rush. I think it was around Revelstoke where I almost got busted a couple times as I pulled out to pass. First time I've ever seen them camp like that. After Kamloops, it was smooth sailing. Set cruise to +10 and relaxed the rest of the way.

Sugarphreak
08-07-2019, 07:04 PM

16hypen3sp
08-07-2019, 09:19 PM
Adaptive cruise with lane keep assist and you're good to go with eating a foot long from Subway.

jk.

90_Shelby
08-07-2019, 09:37 PM
I think 90_Shelby means an adjustable speed limiter, so you can set it to say 105km/h, turn it on, and you wouldn't accidentally go faster than that until you turned it off.

Correct, that’s what I meant. I could set the limiter 20 above a speed limit of 110, floor it and it would not go over 130 for example. This would be a great feature for BC to stay out of the tow zone.

As Rage mentioned, perhaps it’s a Europe only thing? I thought my cars simply weren’t fancy enough.

rage2
08-07-2019, 09:55 PM
I left last Thursday trying to beat the long weekend rush. I think it was around Revelstoke where I almost got busted a couple times as I pulled out to pass. First time I've ever seen them camp like that. After Kamloops, it was smooth sailing. Set cruise to +10 and relaxed the rest of the way.
I left a day after you, probably the same asshole cops haha.

Sad to say, I drive out to Kamloops often enough to realize it’s the norm and not the exception. 400+ hp mandatory to pass in BC for a reason. :rofl:

tonytiger55
08-07-2019, 10:52 PM

I left Thursday too but stopped in Golden for the night. The Friday drive was actually pretty decent. I filled up at Costco in Kamloops. I needed to use the toilet but did not fancy going to the Shell...I drove around and I discovered the nicest private washrooms. It was like your own private boudoir.

The I5 expressway was fun. It felt like Need for Speed. I jumped in the HOV lane a few times. I had no idea it was illegal to jump like that. I did it to overtake the slow cars.

I could not get over that there was always a McDonalds at every exit. Like WTF?

CRXguy
08-07-2019, 11:11 PM
I left Thursday too but stopped in Golden for the night. The Friday drive was actually pretty decent. I filled up at Costco in Kamloops. I needed to use the toilet but did not fancy going to the Shell...I drove around and I discovered the nicest private washrooms. It was like your own private boudoir.

The I5 expressway was fun. It felt like Need for Speed. I jumped in the HOV lane a few times. I had no idea it was illegal to jump like that. I did it to overtake the slow cars.

I could not get over that there was always a McDonalds at every exit. Like WTF?

The kids and I were packed and ready to go at 5AM Thursday morning. Next time I go to Van, I'm just gonna leave after work and stop in Kamloops for the night. Must be getting old because I was pooped after driving in one straight shot(10.5hrs with breakfast/lunch/pee breaks).

I've noticed the last couple years travelling down south is that McD's not even popular down there. I see more traffic at Burger King and Carl's Jr.

Sugarphreak
08-08-2019, 01:17 AM

speedog
08-08-2019, 01:37 AM
Using cruise control in the city, I didn't think many people do it. On stretches like Centre Street coming out of downtown, I'll flip the cruise control on, too easy to speed up that hill and too often cops waiting for speeders. Set cruise and good to go, I'll even use cruise in longer playground zones although 30kph is iffy to engage.

Misterman
08-08-2019, 07:15 AM
I left a day after you, probably the same asshole cops haha.

Sad to say, I drive out to Kamloops often enough to realize it’s the norm and not the exception. 400+ hp mandatory to pass in BC for a reason. :rofl:

And I left a day after you, laser traps both ways on the passing lane stretch right before Revy. I see those cocksuckers there every time I go to BC it seems.

I drove around and I discovered the nicest private washrooms. It was like your own private boudoir.

My bathroom secret is to just stop at a hotel if there is one at my gas stop(which there generally is). The lobby always has clean bathrooms with nobody in them. Have a nice peaceful dump without dodging curlys and piss all over the toilet seat.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-08-2019, 07:42 AM
I left Calgary 4pm Friday and the only police I saw where set up in Malakwa.

jwslam
08-08-2019, 08:18 AM
Adaptive cruise with lane keep assist and you're good to go with eating a foot long from Subway.

jk.
You forgot the double meat

tonytiger55
08-08-2019, 10:16 AM
And I left a day after you, laser traps both ways on the passing lane stretch right before Revy. I see those cocksuckers there every time I go to BC it seems.
My bathroom secret is to just stop at a hotel if there is one at my gas stop(which there generally is). The lobby always has clean bathrooms with nobody in them. Have a nice peaceful dump without dodging curlys and piss all over the toilet seat.

Damm, my secret is out.
On the drive back Monday that stretch was pretty camped out. There were so many police traps.
A trucker warned me of one. God bless him.

The kids and I were packed and ready to go at 5AM Thursday morning. Next time I go to Van, I'm just gonna leave after work and stop in Kamloops for the night. Must be getting old because I was pooped after driving in one straight shot(10.5hrs with breakfast/lunch/pee breaks).

I've noticed the last couple years travelling down south is that McD's not even popular down there. I see more traffic at Burger King and Carl's Jr.

I don't know how you did that. Thats impressive. Thats a hard drive. How was the border crossing for you? I got there for 8.45am and it took 4 hours. I was travelling with a relative and they needed a visa stamp.

I left after work Thursday and stayed the night in Golden as I have a cousin there (She makes great food!). I left for Vancouver Friday around 8am and got there for 5pmish (van time). I was whacked. I find I usually have to grab a energy drink half way and im fine after that.

It was the same with the drive back on Monday. I was going to go straight to Calgary. I ended up stopping for the night again in Golden. My cousin even made butter chicken! I was going to get up to drive. But the butter chicken was spicy and I did not trust my ass. I was so tired, I just slept and drove the next morning.

I was talking to a friend last night about Seattle. She went back in 2010 and we were comparing notes. I think one of things that shocked me was the extreme wealth divide there. The amount of homeless people, fucking hell. Not only that, but some parts of the city were nice modern and right next to them were some sketchy/ghetto areas.
I loved the Air Museum there. Seattle felt so much like a movie set. i.e Prius's everywhere, Art on walls, hipster people, independent shops, my tinder app was full of 30+ year old career chicks that all worked at Amazon or Microsoft that are still going through the Vegan self discovery phase of their life.
It felt surreal...

Mitsu3000gt
08-08-2019, 10:26 AM
If you guys use google maps or have Android Auto (not sure if Apple Car play supports the reporting), speed traps are marked on there now in blue, not just speed cameras (which have been marked for a long time in orange). It's crowd sourced though, so not 100% accurate, but I have found it to be quite good. You need to have an active navigation route set to see them, so I use nav even if I am going to the grocery store and it always alerts me of any photo radar.

CRXguy
08-08-2019, 11:34 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that the car you drive has a lot to do with how tired you are at the end

Long wheelbase luxury cars/SUV's that block out road noise make it a lot easier, whereas short wheelbase sports cars and 4x4's make it exceedingly rough. Pickup trucks tend to be pretty good for long trips though.

Funny you say that because I've done the same road trips in my Civic Si and this time in my '19 F150 crew. I'm sure it has to do with age. The truck is so much more comfortable and yet I still feel like shit.

I don't know how you did that. Thats impressive. Thats a hard drive. How was the border crossing for you? I got there for 8.45am and it took 4 hours. I was travelling with a relative and they needed a visa stamp.

I got to the border on long weekend Monday around 2PM. There was a bit of a line but in total the wait was around 40 minutes. I thought I was gonna get interrogated because as I got up to the front, they pulled out a pylon and it was another 10 minutes before they waved me up.

If you guys use google maps or have Android Auto (not sure if Apple Car play supports the reporting), speed traps are marked on there now in blue, not just speed cameras (which have been marked for a long time in orange). It's crowd sourced though, so not 100% accurate, but I have found it to be quite good. You need to have an active navigation route set to see them, so I use nav even if I am going to the grocery store and it always alerts me of any photo radar.

Good to know. I've been using off-line maps most of the trip on Android. Never knew there was that kind of support.

ExtraSlow
08-08-2019, 11:40 AM
live traffic and speed trap reporting is the best reason to use SOME kind of online navigation. Waze has been better for me than google maps.

cloud7
08-08-2019, 12:46 PM
And don't you just love it when people speed up when you move over to pass them? I don't get why so many people get offended when they are passed. Also drives me nuts that all of the passing lanes are uphill in BC, always seems to be some little 80 hp shitbox trying to pass a semi or RV and it takes it the whole passing lane to do it screwing the rest of us over.

Those are climbing lanes intended for vehicles to get around heavy vehicles that slow down drastically due to the uphill.

corsvette
08-08-2019, 01:12 PM
Born and raised Albertan, officially move to BC sept 1st and have been back and forth many times in the last year between BC and Alberta. I get red plate rage now, why do Albertans feel they have to speed and pass everyone through the mountains? What's the hurry? Pass everyone and in another 2km your stuck behind another slow truck or vehicle doing the speed limit, their trip must be super stressful trying to always get ahead. All the near misses I've seen involve Alberta vehicles, unsafe passing, cutting people off, speeding etc. I find most drives in BC take it easy and obey the limits, just me?

Anyway to the original q. I use cruise from Calgary to the field area. Then usually only use it during the less curvy spots, so not too much after that.

Tik-Tok
08-08-2019, 01:22 PM
Born and raised Albertan, officially move to BC sept 1st and have been back and forth many times in the last year between BC and Alberta. I get red plate rage now, why do Albertans feel they have to speed and pass everyone through the mountains? What's the hurry? Pass everyone and in another 2km your stuck behind another slow truck or vehicle doing the speed limit, their trip must be super stressful trying to always get ahead. All the near misses I've seen involve Alberta vehicles, unsafe passing, cutting people off, speeding etc. I find most drives in BC take it easy and obey the limits, just me?

Anyway to the original q. I use cruise from Calgary to the field area. Then usually only use it during the less curvy spots, so not too much after that.

I've always noticed red plates are always trying to get ahead, but blue plates do much more dangerous manuvers, and make stupid decisions.

Swank
08-08-2019, 01:28 PM
Red plates are angry about pipelines, blue plates are stoned :dunno:

killramos
08-08-2019, 01:30 PM
Typical blue plate is driving 20 under the speed limit and not giving 2 fucks about it

Buster
08-08-2019, 02:10 PM
live traffic and speed trap reporting is the best reason to use SOME kind of online navigation. Waze has been better for me than google maps.

Isn't waze integrated into google maps now?

killramos
08-08-2019, 02:12 PM
It’s owned by google. The level of integration is up for debate, I think they inform each other in some fashion.

Mitsu3000gt
08-08-2019, 02:14 PM

Google bought Waze a couple years ago and uses their data, the full extent of which is not really known. Google also lets users report things to crowdsource the data, making it the best of both worlds IMO.

ExtraSlow
08-08-2019, 02:15 PM
Waze and Google maps are NOT integrated. I've tested it and they provide different suggested routes AND different live traffic updates. I assume at some point they will integrate, but I've tested it recently and they are still very separate. I think Waze is better for Calgary anyway.

Misterman
08-08-2019, 04:56 PM
I've always noticed red plates are always trying to get ahead, but blue plates do much more dangerous manuvers, and make stupid decisions.

100%% Glad I'm not the only one noticing it. I always used to hear people talk about red plates and how dumb they are because they can't take turns. Sort of makes sense at first glance since there is lots of straight roads in AB. So I thought I'd start keeping track just to see if it was true. I don't remember the specific numbers when I quit counting, but blue plates were hands down the worse drivers through the mountains.

rage2
08-08-2019, 05:09 PM

My theory is that Albertans are so used to big wide 2 lane highways where most people drive above the speed limit, and is perfectly acceptable. Run into a slow driver? Change lanes, and on your way. Go to BC TC1 with a single lane, and you’re just frustrated as fuck with these slow ass blue plates only speeding in passing zones, so you make meaningless aggressive moves to get past so you can feel like you cruise freely with nothing but red plates in front, even if it’s only for 5 minutes.

On the other hand, BC drivers are so used to these one lane roads that you’ve been conditioned to drive like an old man, zoning out from being so relaxed, driving under the limit without realizing it until you encounter this strange thing called a passing lane where the world is just wide open to you and just like that you’ve subconsciously accelerated to 40 over the limit when it closes off and throws you back into reality. So you slam on the brakes in a panic and these AB drivers behind you post on beyond about what an asshole you blue plates are in passing lanes because you fucking gunned it in a passing lane for no reason.

Sugarphreak
08-09-2019, 12:01 AM

Misterman
08-09-2019, 06:33 AM
My theory is that Albertans are so used to big wide 2 lane highways where most people drive above the speed limit, and is perfectly acceptable. Run into a slow driver? Change lanes, and on your way. Go to BC TC1 with a single lane, and you’re just frustrated as fuck with these slow ass blue plates only speeding in passing zones, so you make meaningless aggressive moves to get past so you can feel like you cruise freely with nothing but red plates in front, even if it’s only for 5 minutes.

On the other hand, BC drivers are so used to these one lane roads that you’ve been conditioned to drive like an old man, zoning out from being so relaxed, driving under the limit without realizing it until you encounter this strange thing called a passing lane where the world is just wide open to you and just like that you’ve subconsciously accelerated to 40 over the limit when it closes off and throws you back into reality. So you slam on the brakes in a panic and these AB drivers behind you post on beyond about what an asshole you blue plates are in passing lanes because you fucking gunned it in a passing lane for no reason.

I generally encounter these blue plates moving to the passing lane and blocking others from passing. They never increase their speed. I did run into one really weird one leaving Kelowna last weekend though. 2 lane road, she is left lane camping. Refusing to move for anyone. And I watched her give the finger to 3 drivers that came up behind her, and did the same to me. As soon as the right lane opened up so I could pass, she would pin it up to 130km/h, then slow right back down to 105km/h once the right lane was occupied and I couldn't pass again. But her shit box Subaru was no match for the Benz, so I flew by her at the next opening. Gives me the finger again as I pass. Then stays glued to my ass in the left lane as I was doing 130km/h. She was trying to get past me so she could hold me up again purposely. I just fucked with her at that point, doing the same thing she did to me. sped up and blocked all her attempts to pass. She looked rather angry while continuing to flip me off from behind.

msommers
08-09-2019, 05:09 PM
Clearly someone was out of drugs :rofl:

ianmcc
08-10-2019, 08:47 AM

Ha! I'm not the only one!
I'm in Sherwood Park right now for soccer provincials and I am staying at an Air BnB while my daughter is staying at a hotel with the team. The washrooms are usually near the pool area and no one bats an eye at you dropping a deuce (didn't want to stink up the hosts home!)
Maybe I can sneak in on the free breakfast as well.

ianmcc
08-10-2019, 08:55 AM
Always use cc now. Set and forget. Pretty safe at 10 over and less stress worrying about other drivers.

ThePenIsMightier
08-10-2019, 08:27 PM
I use Cruise Control often.
It's an interesting test to see how high it will set. A z33 will not let you set it above 144km/h.

blairtruck
08-11-2019, 08:20 AM
I passed the Same Audi with BC plates yesterday 7 times in 2 hours. I had cruise on at 122. He would pass me doing probably 130. Then 10 mins later i would slowly go past him. Then a few mins later he is at 130 again. then a few mins later i slowly catch him and pass.

rage2
08-11-2019, 09:47 AM
I use Cruise Control often.
It's an interesting test to see how high it will set. A z33 will not let you set it above 144km/h.
200 is my limit. Above 160 the self driving bits turn off on mine haha.

hampstor
08-16-2019, 08:06 PM

Recent red plate to blue plate convert here. Can confirm this is real. Went up-island to Nanaimo area recently and encountered a 2-lane, 110kph road. It took me a bit to remember what to do (go 10+ over the limit and pass people). Melinda can confirm as she witnessed my hesitation while driving behind us.

Also, I recently bought my wife a 2014 Honda Fit. Turns out that in 2014, cruise control and power doorlocks were options. whoops. So no cruise on the highways :)