PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone done a colored vinyl wrap lately and not hated it?

SKR
08-08-2019, 04:10 PM
I looked and there's a few threads but nothing in the last few years. I bought an older truck that needs paint. It's down to the metal in some places but only one spot of surface rust. I got a quote for $12,600 to repaint in its current color (including $7300 in labor). That's only one quote so maybe that's high, or maybe that's just what the going rate is. I don't know.

I had a car wrapped in clear vinyl before and that worked pretty good, but I wonder if the colored vinyl is worth a shit. Past threads don't seem to say so, but things can change over the years. It would put on less than 5000km a year, I'd imagine, and no winter driving. It doesn't need to win shows or be on magazine covers but I'd like it to be a little less repulsive than it currently is.

BavarianBeast
08-08-2019, 04:55 PM
Wrap on a truck will cost you about $5000 and should last up to 10 years if installed properly and taking good care of the car.

It'll look great as long as there aren't any serious scratches or dings/rust. Even wrapping over a key scratch will show through the vinyl.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-08-2019, 04:56 PM
I wrapped one side skirt on my Z06 because the paint peeled when they old PPF was removed. Until you are right up close it looks quite good.

BavarianBeast
08-08-2019, 05:52 PM
My skirts were better than paint. Job done right goes a long way.

SKR
08-08-2019, 09:12 PM
I'm actually a dumbass. I've had black vinyl on a grille and bumpers on a truck I used to have. I forgot about that.

It'll look great as long as there aren't any serious scratches or dings/rust. Even wrapping over a key scratch will show through the vinyl.

I've got paint peeled right the fuck off. It might need to be stripped and sprayed with primer just so it's smooth. The driver's door is a little wavy if you look at it at the right angle in the right light, but I don't care about that.

SKR
08-08-2019, 09:21 PM
Anybody ever done a color change? I'm not sure yet how I'll adjust to it not being black. I've owned one vehicle in the last 9 years that wasn't black, and I kept it for 10 days before I traded it in at a loss for a black one. I think black on the outside with white doorjambs and under the hood might look pretty stupid though, and I'd have to pull the box to get the back of the cab and front of the box. And figure out something for inside the box because it's white too. For a cheap project this is really starting to snowball.

spikerS
08-08-2019, 11:41 PM
I was down at the dealer the other day, saw a F150 completely wrappaed in carbon fibre. looked like absolute ass. Please don't do that.

SKR
08-09-2019, 06:13 AM
I was down at the dealer the other day, saw a F150 completely wrappaed in carbon fibre. looked like absolute ass. Please don't do that.

Because it was carbon fibre patterned, or because it was vinyl?

ExtraSlow
08-09-2019, 07:27 AM

The NE Canadian tire must have empty shelves.

spike98
08-09-2019, 08:15 AM
What are you trying to do with the truck? Show truck or dump runner/grocery getter?

born2workoncars
08-09-2019, 09:05 AM
What are you trying to do with the truck? Show truck or dump runner/grocery getter?

It doesn't need to win shows or be on magazine covers but I'd like it to be a little less repulsive than it currently is.

OP - just live with the truck as is. Mitigate any corrosion and forget about the aesthetics. Sounds like it's a beater anyways?

SKR
08-09-2019, 09:28 AM

There's two parts to my plan for this truck. The first is to have a little hot rod that runs and drives the way it's supposed to, with some measure of style and comfort*. I've spent four years on my 81, and everything I want or need to do to it is more expensive than I can manage right now. This 91 doesn't have any of the issues that my 81 has, and is a way of getting to where I want the 81 to be without spending the big money the 81 would take. The second part is to find a home for the motor and transmission out of my 92 that I picked up this winter. I've sunk more money than I should have into that truck, and this feels like the only way to get any value out of it.

Once that's done, I'll either keep the truck or if I'm in a position where I can start making progress on my 81, sell the 91. I don't really need or have room for two 2 wheel drive regular cab shortbox trucks and the 81 will be the one I keep.

* I understand that style and comfort might not be the things you think of when you look at a 91 GMC truck, but that's the kind of thing you daydream about when you're white and grew up on a farm.

OP - just live with the truck as is. Mitigate any corrosion and forget about the aesthetics. Sounds like it's a beater anyways?

Now that I've written what I have above, I think you're right. I should keep my investment into it as cheap as I can, drive it for the rest of the summer/fall and evaluate in the spring.

P_D
08-09-2019, 09:41 AM
Why not just cover it in bedliner, it would last for ever and you could DIY.

spike98
08-09-2019, 10:30 AM

This is why i was asking. But it sounds like OP wants a kind of a hot rod.

IMO you are better off finding a solid body with a screwed drivetrain/engine and swapping with engine. If you are serious about this truck and want a decent paint job (believe me, i love the idea, LS1 swap, single cab short box), look for other quotes. $12k seems to be a "dont waste my time" quote more than anything. If you are up for some prep yourself, options like Maaco can turn out well and be a lower cost option on a non-show truck.

Disoblige
08-09-2019, 12:26 PM
The "prep yourself and Maaco" sounds like a great cost effective idea and I like that much more than the vinyl route.

spike98
08-09-2019, 12:28 PM
The "prep yourself and Maaco" sounds like a great cost effective idea and I like that much more than the vinyl route.

My buddy did it on a old fox body mustang and it turned out fantastic. Think it cost him $2000 for them to blast it. That was same colour though, may be more money for a colour change. He did all the body work (while learning a lot) and taping.

SKR
08-09-2019, 04:12 PM
Thanks guys. I haven't got a Maaco local to me, but I'll look around for something similar. I'd rather have paint than vinyl. Last time I was at the muffler shop the guy there was telling me about a bodyman he knows who does work on the side. I'll look into that too.

My truck didn't pass its insurance inspection, so now I'm waiting on a lowering kit. Might as well smash that in there while we've got the front end apart. One of my wheels is backordered too so that's putting a hold on things. Budget projects are expensive.

mr2mike
08-09-2019, 10:49 PM
Camo vinyl wrap out there is either never in stock or I can't see it.

speedog
08-09-2019, 11:50 PM

Hah, I actually saw a truck done up like this last summer - was pretty much hideous from any angle.

- - - Updated - - -

Which NE CT?

ThePenIsMightier
08-11-2019, 05:08 PM
My buddy did it on a old fox body mustang and it turned out fantastic. Think it cost him $2000 for them to blast it. That was same colour though, may be more money for a colour change. He did all the body work (while learning a lot) and taping.

Colour change is same price as they just leave entire engine bay and all door jambs the original colour (but now clouded with over spray).

Skrilla
08-16-2019, 10:22 AM
$12K sounds right for paint. Outlaw did my car a few years ago, was just shy of 10k and it has no roof, and needed no body work. Spectrum did my BIL’s Chevelle, was also over 12k. Sweet truck BTW. If you decide to bail on it let me know, I have a great motor for that!

SKR
08-16-2019, 10:36 PM
If you decide to bail on it let me know, I have a great motor for that!

Check me out in the spring. I'm just going to smash in a 2/4 drop and some different 15" wheels and call it good for now. I've always liked these trucks growing up in the 90s and buying every issue of Truckin' magazine, but the more I dick around here the further I get from finishing my 81. And I'm in way too deep with it to let it go, so I have to finish it.

I'd throw a match in the gas tank of this 91 if I could find a two wheel drive two door Yukon.