PDA

View Full Version : Reconciliation Bridge

frozenrice
08-12-2019, 01:08 PM
Is work on the bridge actually done now? I’ve driven by it a couple of times in the last week or two and it seems as if it’s ready. Surface has been paved, all construction equipment has been cleared. All that is left are the barriers, so it looks like it could be useable. City website says construction is scheduled to finish by August 30th but would the City actually be that irrational to keep it closed until then even if the work finished up early? Getting into downtown from Edmonton Trail would be a lot smoother if they opened up that second lane.

Aleks
08-12-2019, 01:12 PM
City website says Aug 30th is the completion date when both lanes will be open.

frozenrice
08-12-2019, 02:17 PM
I saw that on the city website but from the looks of it, it physically looks like it’s all done. Just remove the barriers and things should be back to normal. What/why is the holdup if it’s finished early?

jwslam
08-12-2019, 02:24 PM
Because then citizens would have an expectation that things can finish early rather than late as always

RX_EVOLV
08-12-2019, 02:25 PM
It's still closed to 1 lane. As far as I can tell the construction work is done and now they are just painting over all the rust spots on the top of the bridge to make it look brand new.

Homerrca
08-12-2019, 02:27 PM
They are waiting for the art to arrive.

Aleks
08-12-2019, 02:48 PM
They are waiting for the art to arrive.

:clap:

2000TL
08-12-2019, 10:33 PM
Usually after any construction project, there is a deficiency inspection. If any deficient items are noted, then the contractor needs to get the subtrades back and complete the work before issuing a completion certificate and opening the road to the public. I'm not sure about that project, but could be one of the factors. There could also be other work that still needs to be done so it doesn't impact others.

JfuckinC
08-12-2019, 11:36 PM
Was supposed to be done in June according to the website a couple months ago. Now they’re slowly painting it. Sometimes only one guy haha.. they opened both lanes For a day to tease us a couple weeks ago.

msommers
08-13-2019, 08:08 AM
What about the Crowchild Tr construction? A PDF I found on CoC website suggested Q4 2019, which as it looks currently is more laughable than the Blue Ring...

What was really funny about that same PDF is that all the completion timeline 'bars' had an arrow pointing into the future, regardless if that time has passed or not :rofl:

rage2
08-13-2019, 08:12 AM
You mean the Langevin Bridge? Fuck this reconciliation Bridge nonsense.

kertejud2
08-13-2019, 09:14 AM
You mean the Langevin Bridge? Fuck this reconciliation Bridge nonsense.

Reconciliation Bridge may not be a good name, but is there a reason we should have a bridge named after a Quebec politician who was implicated in two major public works scandals as well as the residential school system? Might as well name stuff after the Trudeau's.

D'z Nutz
08-13-2019, 09:56 AM
they opened both lanes For a day to tease us a couple weeks ago.

Must have closed it back up when Nenshi said he didn't get to do a photo op grand opening with it yet.

rage2
08-13-2019, 10:01 AM
Reconciliation Bridge may not be a good name, but is there a reason we should have a bridge named after a Quebec politician who was implicated in two major public works scandals as well as the residential school system? Might as well name stuff after the Trudeau's.
Because history is what it is, good or bad. Changing a name to make someone feel better is stupid as we try to hide bad history from future generations. The irony in all this which I find absolutely hilarious? They forgot to rename Langevin School. Someone start a petition quick.

kertejud2
08-13-2019, 10:32 AM
Because history is what it is, good or bad. Changing a name to make someone feel better is stupid as we try to hide bad history from future generations.

What history is being hidden? Nobody is forgetting about residential schools, it's because nobody is forgetting them that removing honors from one of the people responsible is seen as necessary. Changing the name sheds more light on the bad history, not less. How many people knew of Langevin's role in procurement scandals, bribery scandals, and the residential school system because of the name of the bridge? Probably nowhere near as many that have learned about it because of people wanting to take his name off the bridge because his role in residential schools.

Plus the man shouldn't have had anything named after him here in the first place. The only good parts of his political career ended before the city was founded, and by the time the province was founded he left politics altogether for the second time because of a bribery scandal, so he shouldn't have been honoured when the bridge was built in the first place. Hell, they don't even honour him in Quebec.

The irony in all this which I find absolutely hilarious? They forgot to rename Langevin School. Someone start a petition quick.

Council can't change the name of the school, so they didn't, which is a significant difference from 'forgetting'. CBE hasn't (they're probably a little gunshy after all the hate mail they got from old Western grads for changing 'Redmen' to 'Redhawks' like a bunch of chumps).

JfuckinC
09-10-2019, 10:25 AM
They did it it again. Both lanes open yesterday back down to one today lol. But it looks done, They removed all the Jersey barriers

frozenrice
09-10-2019, 10:38 AM
It's still closed to 1 lane. As far as I can tell the construction work is done and now they are just painting over all the rust spots on the top of the bridge to make it look brand new.

Was supposed to be done in June according to the website a couple months ago. Now they’re slowly painting it. Sometimes only one guy haha.. they opened both lanes For a day to tease us a couple weeks ago.

What makes it more odd (and kind of funny) is that they used paint brushes and rollers instead of spraying. I’m not a painting expert but it would have saved a shitload of time.

JfuckinC
09-10-2019, 10:54 AM
What makes it more odd (and kind of funny) is that they used paint brushes and rollers instead of spraying. I’m not a painting expert but it would have saved a shitload of time.

haha it sure was funny to see 5 zoom booms with guys with tiny rollers.. must have been the type of paint

Masked Bandit
09-10-2019, 10:54 AM

That doesn't make any sense? Road marking paint is a pain in the ass to brush & roll, it dries almost immediately.

JfuckinC
09-10-2019, 10:57 AM
That doesn't make any sense? Road marking paint is a pain in the ass to brush & roll, it dries almost immediately.

they were painting the bridge structure

suntan
09-10-2019, 11:05 AM
They use rollers and brushes all the time. I see the brush marks on many of the bridge structures when I walk on them.

Masked Bandit
09-10-2019, 11:57 AM
they were painting the bridge structure

They use rollers and brushes all the time. I see the brush marks on many of the bridge structures when I walk on them.

Sorry, I thought you guys were talking about the lines on the road.

4WARNED
09-10-2019, 12:45 PM
Sorry, I thought you guys were talking about the lines on the road.

pretty sure the fellow in charge of painting the new lines on Macleod out front of chinook could be upstaged by a 2 year old and a crayon. All crooked, weaving all over and next time you're going south, check out the left hand lane and tell me why it's 1.5x the width of the next two.
Good job C of C!

there. rant over...i feel better. Back to the bridge topic.

Cagare
09-10-2019, 12:54 PM
When this project started last August it was supposed to be open again in November of last year. From what I can tell, this was a bunch of concrete repair and coating on the structure. I did not see any structural repairs being undertaken. I am quite shocked at how long this actually took. I am also quite surprised at the lack of media coverage or anger towards this topic. I had called 311 because the project kept getting delayed, and it was quite frustrating the traffic issues it was causing.

I am no expert in coatings, but if you really wanted to protect the thing from Corrosion they would have enclosed it all and sprayed it to make sure there was full coverage. The pace of the contractor on this job was really odd, and most days it seemed like there was limited activity.

gmc72
09-10-2019, 01:27 PM
pretty sure the fellow in charge of painting the new lines on Macleod out front of chinook could be upstaged by a 2 year old and a crayon. All crooked, weaving all over and next time you're going south, check out the left hand lane and tell me why it's 1.5x the width of the next two.
Good job C of C!

there. rant over...i feel better. Back to the bridge topic.

New bike lane??? HAHAHA!!!!

ThePenIsMightier
09-10-2019, 02:15 PM
Because history is what it is, good or bad. Changing a name to make someone feel better is stupid as we try to hide bad history from future generations. The irony in all this which I find absolutely hilarious? They forgot to rename Langevin School. Someone start a petition quick.

Sounds like this project is "running a bit late".
It's called Reconciliation Bridge because of Aboriginal Indigenous reasons.
And it's... Not on time...

I'll see myself out.

Swank
09-10-2019, 03:07 PM
Reminds me of a pic my buddy sent me from the office of the manager of indigenous affairs where he works. He had a wall clock very similar to this:
https://i3.cpcache.com/merchandise/49_300x300_Front_Color-NA.jpg?Size=NA&AttributeValue=NA&region={%22name%22:%22FrontCenter%22,%22width%22:9,%22height%22:9,%22alignment%22:%22MiddleCenter%22,%22orientation%22:0,%22dpi%22:150,%22crop_x%22:0,%22crop_y%22:0,%22crop_h%22:1350,%22crop_w%22:1350,%22scale%22:0,%22template%22:{%22id%22:64450050,%22params%22:{}}}&Filters=[{%22name%22:%22background%22,%22value%22:%22ddddde%22,%22sequence%22:2}]

JRSC00LUDE
09-10-2019, 04:27 PM
You wouldn't want to spray that structure, all the sudden City of Calgary would be cleaning 2000 cars with overspray. Shit carries in the wind much further than you would think.

Cagare
09-10-2019, 05:05 PM
You wouldn't want to spray that structure, all the sudden City of Calgary would be cleaning 2000 cars with overspray. Shit carries in the wind much further than you would think.

I agree, but it's done quite a bit. The entire structure has to be enclosed to do it properly. Likely they didn't do that because they wanted to keep a single lane of traffic open.