PDA

View Full Version : Golf gear?

shakalaka
08-14-2019, 12:03 AM
Any other Golfers in here? I used to think it was the most boring sport in the world, until I gave it a try last season and I was hooked. To the point where I am planning a simulator in my new basement potentially. I took some lessons etc to get me started and am continuing to take them. I am in no way good but getting there hopefully one day with shit tons of practice.

Anyway, I digress. The purpose of the post is to see if anyone knows of any good sites to purchase Golf gear from? I purchased a set of cheap Wilson clubs last year ($400'ish) and it was just meant to get me started. Now that I am getting somewhat decent I am looking to upgrade to a nicer complete set (hate individually picking and choosing).

So please share any and all sources for sites and whatever else that have good deals on Golf stuff. Thanks.

CarlLester
08-14-2019, 05:56 AM
Classified section on golfwrx.com

Misterman
08-14-2019, 05:59 AM
Golftown website has deals pop up all the time. You can sign up for their emails and they send them to you. End of season is usually a great time to pick up anything and everything.

colinxx235
08-14-2019, 06:26 AM
Golftraders /thread

Or cruise through kijiji, i've seen some wicked deals. but you can't test around in that case like you can at golftraders

I picked up a set of Titleist Ap1s a few years ago there for an amazing price

killramos
08-14-2019, 06:28 AM
+1 for Golf Traders

The_Rural_Juror
08-14-2019, 07:16 AM
I have a set of Pings that I haven't used in a few years. Only got to play it about 5-10 times.

ExtraSlow
08-14-2019, 07:26 AM
There are big winter sales at golf town. Both BF and BD are great. My first reccomendation is that to get better spend your money on skills not equipment. Although you are a gear guy I know.

bjstare
08-14-2019, 07:39 AM
Golf traders and kijiji. If you're looking for something specific, then +1 for golfwrx forum classifieds (except you'll probably have to pay for shipping from the states). Edit: I would shy away from golf town. Their sales aren't good enough to compete with used equipment prices. Tons of people switch golf clubs like you switch cars, there's plenty to choose from out there.

Go get fitted before you buy. It's a negligible cost, and it'll ensure you have the clubs that work the best for you. Not nearly enough people do this, and it can make a big difference. For clarity, I'm talking about finding an actual fitter or pro to do it for you (not at golftown, you won't get a good result from sales teenagers).

A fitting and lessons are the two most valuable things to do when you're getting more serious about golf, and so few people do them. You're halfway there!

illtim3d
08-14-2019, 08:17 AM
golftownpreowned.com have to do some digging but you can find great deals here.
Also dont know if this is allowed, but I created a casual golf inspired apparel brand for golfers who just want to have fun (and beers) with the boys. Check me out at mulliganclubgolf.com and mulliganclubgolf on IG. Calgary based!

pf0sh0
08-14-2019, 08:45 AM
I've bought clubs off ebay before and saved money in comparison to going to golf traders.

shakalaka
08-14-2019, 11:10 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations. Will definitely check them out. I was holding out before purchasing a new set until I got really good. But I went yesterday and had a pretty decent game so thought maybe I should upgrade. I would only do it right now if I came across a good deal. Otherwise, I think a nice will be wasted on me until I build up proper skills. I finished 8 lessons so far and I am taking 10 more at-least and we will see how it goes after that.

phil98z24
08-14-2019, 12:09 PM
Golftraders /thread

Or cruise through kijiji, i've seen some wicked deals. but you can't test around in that case like you can at golftraders

I picked up a set of Titleist Ap1s a few years ago there for an amazing price

This. Until you get better and get fitted, go to these guys!

bjstare
08-14-2019, 12:57 PM
Fwiw, depending on your body and swing, fitted clubs will make it easier to get better. As soon as you have a relatively consistent move (which you probably do after 8 lessons), a fitting is beneficial.

Hard to explain, but poorly fitted clubs will require you to make stop-gap type fixes with your swing, whereas properly fitted clubs allow you to improve on your swing without having to correct equipment-introduced errors.

pf0sh0
08-14-2019, 01:15 PM
Fwiw, depending on your body and swing, fitted clubs will make it easier to get better. As soon as you have a relatively consistent move (which you probably do after 8 lessons), a fitting is beneficial.

Hard to explain, but poorly fitted clubs will require you to make stop-gap type fixes with your swing, whereas properly fitted clubs allow you to improve on your swing without having to correct equipment-introduced errors.

Is it dumb to go to a fitting session with your clubs you currently own and hopes they can make adjustments?

colinxx235
08-14-2019, 01:20 PM
Is it dumb to go to a fitting session with your clubs you currently own and hopes they can make adjustments?

Not at all, if you have some good iron faces you want to use the adjustments could be anything from changing out shafts, adjusting the lie or loft, cutting the length or recommending increases (this is usually a factor of height and arm length from the ground) and even changing out grip/sizes

They will go through your swing progression and analyze components of your clubs that could be improved upon

pf0sh0
08-14-2019, 01:31 PM
Not at all, if you have some good iron faces you want to use the adjustments could be anything from changing out shafts, adjusting the lie or loft, cutting the length or recommending increases (this is usually a factor of height and arm length from the ground) and even changing out grip/sizes

They will go through your swing progression and analyze components of your clubs that could be improved upon

That being said - fitting recommendation places? haha

Mitsu3000gt
08-14-2019, 02:15 PM

They can change everything - just depends how much you want to spend haha. Length and grips are easy to do. I had a set re-gripped (my grips were way too thin) by "Simply Golf" at the Golf Dome for $150. The NGA instructors told me he was one of the best club-fitters out there, and prices were very reasonable so I would try that. Plus you can test them out right away for free.

http://nationalgolfacademy.ca/Instruction/Club-Fitting-Repair

pf0sh0
08-14-2019, 02:31 PM
They can change everything - just depends how much you want to spend haha. Length and grips are easy to do. I had a set re-gripped (my grips were way too thin) by "Simply Golf" at the Golf Dome for $150. The NGA instructors told me he was one of the best club-fitters out there, and prices were very reasonable so I would try that. Plus you can test them out right away for free.

http://nationalgolfacademy.ca/Instruction/Club-Fitting-Repair

Thanks for the tip. I haven't been out much this year. Injuries, life, etc. but I think I will get a fitting done at some point!

bjstare
08-14-2019, 02:35 PM
Yup, Lyle at simply golf is good. He's done a reasonable amount of club work for me. I have heard he is a good fitter, but haven't used him. If someone has used Ted and Dave at RCGS they should chime in - I know they didn't do a good job building npham clubs, but they might be good at fitting? They have an outdoor fitting bay, and where possible this is highly preferable.

I would strongly recommend avoiding Erickson's custom clubs. Went to him for a fitting one time; he works out of his garage, so can't fit anything except irons, and didn't do a thorough job. He spent 85% of the time I was there name dropping everyone on tour he's worked with. Idgaf who you've worked for in the past, you already have me in the door, just do your damn job.

pf0sh0
08-14-2019, 02:49 PM
Yup, Lyle at simply golf is good. He's done a reasonable amount of club work for me. I have heard he is a good fitter, but haven't used him. If someone has used Ted and Dave at RCGS they should chime in - I know they didn't do a good job building npham clubs, but they might be good at fitting? They have an outdoor fitting bay, and where possible this is highly preferable.

I would strongly recommend avoiding Erickson's custom clubs. Went to him for a fitting one time; he works out of his garage, so can't fit anything except irons, and didn't do a thorough job. He spent 85% of the time I was there name dropping everyone on tour he's worked with. Idgaf who you've worked for in the past, you already have me in the door, just do your damn job.

My buddy just went to Ted and Dave to fit/build him a set of clubs - he seems to be happy with it though.

SkiBum5.0
08-15-2019, 11:25 AM

Adjustments depend on the quality of the clubs. Many cast irons can only be bent 2 degrees without cracking.

Chandler_Racing
08-15-2019, 11:37 AM

Ted and Dave did a custom fitting for me. They did a good job.

I have golfed with Erickson several time he is a name dropper but knows his stuff too.

colinxx235
08-15-2019, 11:42 AM
Adjustments depend on the quality of the clubs. Many cast irons can only be bent 2 degrees without cracking.

True, I was just generalizing what the fitters can do. I have no clue what kind of clubs Pf0sh0 hits. I personally have forged Ap1s until I one day take the plunge on a full set as a treat.

I'm debating doing it down in Palm Springs some time this fall/winter at a decent fitter. Then I'll have them ready for next season. Also assuming the prices line up.