PDA

View Full Version : Critique my New Zealand Itinerary, please

Mitsu3000gt
08-19-2019, 09:33 AM
I am hoping someone who has been to NZ before can let me know if this is a good itinerary or not - mostly in terms of time spent in each place, and if we should be doing any other detours. I am OK with driving on the "wrong" side of the road.

We'll be there for ~16 days total after subtracting travel time.

Nov 8 - Arrive Auckland

Nov 8-11: Auckland area

Nov 11-13 Cathedral Cove area

Nov 13-16 Rotorua - seems like there's a lot to do here.

Nov 16-17 Napier (to break up the drive and apparently wine tours)

Nov 17-19 Wellington area

(Fly to Queenstown)

Nov 19-22 Queenstown / Milford Sound

Nov 23 Fly back to Auckland to go home

Wasn't sure if Coromandel / Abel Tasman are worth the long detours, we were looking into that.

I REALLY wanted to do Great White Shark cage dive but it was apparently was banned in September 2018. From what I can tell they might still be doing it at a different location, but I don't think it starts until December so we might not be able to do that. Any clarification there would also be appreciated, the tour company websites are ambiguous about this.

If there's anything you think we missed, or we should swap out for something else, or spend more/less time somewhere that would be great information. TIA.

BavarianBeast
08-19-2019, 09:44 AM
Auckland is easy to see in 2 days. Check out the city and Hobbiton which is a 45 - 1hr drive. There really isn't much to see north of Aukland other than some long beaches and quiet little towns.

Cathedral Cove is half a day IMO.

Your missing out not spending time in Lake Taupo on the North Island. I would suggest allocating at least 2 days from either Cathedral Cove or Rotorua. Hike the tongarrio crossing and do some fishing if you can. Rotorua stinks horribly and you can honestly only spend a day there IMO.

Queenstown has a shit ton to do depending what you want to see. I would highly suggest driving through to Lake Wanaka if your down there. Milford Sound/Fjordland should be 2 days if your into hiking. Sky dive Wanaka is the best place in the world to skydive IMO if your into that. Considering your on a car forum, there is a racetrack between Queenstown and Wanaka where you can rent a Mclaren and some other vehicles and do laps for a fair price.

Depending what your into, I can give you a bunch more suggestions. Spent a lot of time bombing around the islands in a camper van.

ExtraSlow
08-19-2019, 10:06 AM
I strongly suggest spending as little time in Aukland as possible. It's fine, but it's just another city. The best parts of NZ are away from Auckland.

Best places I found were the smaller towns on the south island. Oamaru is nice and you can see the wild penguins. People are great, and always something interesting.

Mitsu3000gt
08-19-2019, 10:13 AM
Thank you that is excellent info. We do really like to hike but I tore my ACL back in April so I can't do anything too crazy, but I am fine as long as it isn't too challenging and not too long (under 10km or so). I have a brace but it's enormous and I don't want to bring it haha.

Won't be skydiving (too scared) but I will be all over that McLaren experience. I did the exotic/race track thing in Scotland as well (seems like anywhere other than North America it's reasonably priced), and I would do that again in a heartbeat.

Basically we like to do as much as possible, we aren't beach bums and like to pack our days full with activities. We wanted to try Zorbing, Shweebing, go on wine tours (apparently there is an island that is good for this), go on food tours in every city, hike a bit, etc. The glow worm cave and Hobbiton are on the list for sure. I thought a lot of that stuff was in or around Rotorua which is why we allocated so much time there.

U2 is playing in an outdoor arena in Auckland the day we arrive as well so we'll probably see that too.

Thanks again.

ExtraSlow
08-19-2019, 10:35 AM
Rotorua town does stink, but the area around is really nice. I have relatives who I've around there so I'm for sure biased though.

BavarianBeast
08-19-2019, 10:55 AM
If your into surfing, Mount Maungauni and Raglan are good spots to be.

Check out white water rafting in queenstown (take the one that takes you on skippers canyon road, it's fucking nuts). Shotover jet is a ton of fun too.

If your into the Glow worms, Waitomo Cave is cool but check out "Waipu Caves". It's a 15-20 minute walk, it's free and you get to see the glow worms up close without time constraints.

If your out near Christchurch check out Akoroa. It feels like a quiet little European town, very different from the rest of NZ.

I'll think of a bunch more, we pretty much went to every town in the Country. If your into surfing, Mount Maungauni and Raglan are good spots to be.

Mitsu3000gt
08-19-2019, 11:11 AM
Thanks again.

I'm afraid of Sharks (when not in a cage haha) so probably no surfing for me.

White water rafting however sounds great - will look into that for sure.

Thanks for the tip on the glow worms - any time we can avoid a tour and do our own thing, it's much better.

Do you remember the name of the race track where you can drive a McLaren? I have been googling but all I get is the "Bruce McLaren Motorsports Park" in Taupo, and contrary to the name I don't think you can actually drive a McLaren there haha. I found other tracks too but they look like they only have dedicated race cars rather than exotics.

BavarianBeast
08-19-2019, 11:14 AM
Don't worry about the sharks, they are friends ;)

It was Highlands Motorsports Park. It looks like they have a 488 GTB now instead of the Mclaren. There is also a Radical SR3 race car.

https://highlands.co.nz/action-experiences/supercar-fast-dash/

Cheers

BrknFngrs
08-19-2019, 11:23 AM
If you're going to be in the Waitomo area I'd recommend looking at the "Lost World" tours. They're cave tours that involve an amazing rappel in, super small groups and you get to see the glow worms in a less developed setting. We did this 2 years ago and it was the highlight of our trip for sure.

Mitsu3000gt
08-19-2019, 11:43 AM
Don't worry about the sharks, they are friends ;)

It was Highlands Motorsports Park. It looks like they have a 488 GTB now instead of the Mclaren. There is also a Radical SR3 race car.

https://highlands.co.nz/action-experiences/supercar-fast-dash/

Cheers

Ah, thanks. I did run across that website but if I am understanding that correctly, you're a passenger and not the driver, especially with the minimum age being 10. I couldn't find anything on that site where I actually get to drive the 488GTB.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're going to be in the Waitomo area I'd recommend looking at the "Lost World" tours. They're cave tours that involve an amazing rappel in, super small groups and you get to see the glow worms in a less developed setting. We did this 2 years ago and it was the highlight of our trip for sure.

Thank you I will look into that.

Nova316
08-19-2019, 12:15 PM
I was just there in Feb, lots to do in Rotorua like Hell's gate and Hobbiton
I'd recommend Tongariro Mt Doom Hike, its a decent/hard hike but the scenery is pretty awesome.
Wellington: Te Papa was really interesting, they had an awesome exhibit on Gallipoli
In Queenstown I did Canyoning which was absolutely awesome, just to hike around the caves you get to do rappelling, natural water slides, cliff jumping, Etc
Waitomo glow worms is pretty wicked tour

Mitsu3000gt
08-19-2019, 04:16 PM
I was just there in Feb, lots to do in Rotorua like Hell's gate and Hobbiton
I'd recommend Tongariro Mt Doom Hike, its a decent/hard hike but the scenery is pretty awesome.
Wellington: Te Papa was really interesting, they had an awesome exhibit on Gallipoli
In Queenstown I did Canyoning which was absolutely awesome, just to hike around the caves you get to do rappelling, natural water slides, cliff jumping, Etc
Waitomo glow worms is pretty wicked tour

Thanks for this - added to our list of things to research.

tch7
08-19-2019, 07:57 PM
I'd definitely swap out some of that North Island time for more on the South, assuming you're not expecting future trips to NZ. Not that they are bad, but I don't think Napier or Wellington would make it on to many must-see lists.

Instead I'd go for something like 5-6 days for Auckland, Coromandel, and Rotorua. Then fly to Nelson (wineries + Abel Tasman), and drive down the west coast (Punakaiki, Franz Josef, Wanaka) and end up in Queenstown (good for a few days, plus a trip to Milford Sound). Fly back from Queenstown to Auckland. Maybe not enough time to squeeze it in, but there is a lot of great hiking right around the town of Mount Cook.

Another route that'd be pretty good is like this G Adventures one: https://www.gadventures.com/trips/highlights-of-new-zealand/ONAC/

ExtraSlow
08-19-2019, 08:05 PM
More south = more good.

jaeden
08-19-2019, 10:54 PM
Went there in 2007 for a month, went on a backpacker/hostel tour so we basically went where the bus went. We were there Sept/October which was the very beginning of "summer" season. It was pretty cool and wet most of the time. I had to buy a toque and sweater for some of our hikes. I never wore shorts.

Highlights were:
- Tongariro hike. Awesome and the best thing we did, but its a long day-hike, 19+ km and around 8 hours. This video actually gives a pretty good idea of what it's like on a good day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inmOwAaGGMc . Not sure how you'd feel about it with your knee. Maybe with trekking poles?

- Waitomo caving/tubing - do the longer tour if you have the whole day, and plan for a more relaxed next day.

- the Wellington museum, Te Papa. There is a lot to see there and admission is free.

- Milford/Fjordland. Its a long drive from Queenstown but not so bad if you stay there a few days. We did not have time with our schedule. Unfortunately my wife had a terrible migraine that day so we did not get the full experience.

- I actually liked the north Cape Reinga area, but maybe that because it was the best weather we had for the whole trip.

Mitsu3000gt
08-20-2019, 04:26 PM
Thanks again guys - hoping to sit down and adjust the itinerary tonight. I'll re-post it when I've got that done.

That hike actually looks amazing, I might have to sack up and do it. If it's relatively smooth terrain I could probably do it without my knee brace.

BavarianBeast
08-20-2019, 04:44 PM
It ain’t bad at all. There is only one section of steep incline shale that’s difficult and it’s only about 500 meters of it.

Wife and I did the hike in 5.5 hours, moving at a steady pace and stopping for a half hour at the summit.

Mitsu3000gt
08-20-2019, 04:51 PM
It ain’t bad at all. There is only one section of steep incline shale that’s difficult and it’s only about 500 meters of it.

Wife and I did the hike in 5.5 hours, moving at a steady pace and stopping for a half hour at the summit.

That doesn't sound too bad at all, I could do that no problem I think. The GF and I are fast hikers as well so if we did it in 6 hours or so, that would be OK.

Nova316
08-30-2019, 11:14 AM
Just remember to pack trekking poles and good hikers.
If you are in the area we also did some cliff jumping at Tawhai Falls (Gollums Pool) which is also in the area if you are a LOTR fan. The water was nice and cold it was actually very nice after the hike. I did it in 7 hours but did take lots of small breaks and detours to get pictures.

asp integra
08-30-2019, 11:43 AM
NZ is awesome, I would say spend a bit more time on the south island. Queenstown/wanaka are great, could do a few days here easily.

Brent.ff
08-30-2019, 12:54 PM
This is helpful, we're flying into Christchurch on Feb 2, to Feb 22.. gonna be great! All south island, tons of hiking and fly fishing

BavarianBeast
09-11-2019, 05:30 PM
If you wanna meet up for a beer in Queenstown, shoot me a PM. I’ve tentatively booked a mtb trip from nov 9 - 20th.

Mitsu3000gt
09-12-2019, 09:54 AM
If you wanna meet up for a beer in Queenstown, shoot me a PM. I’ve tentatively booked a mtb trip from nov 9 - 20th.

Haha sounds good, I will try to remember that - thanks.

Just trying to hammer down our itinerary and then I'll post the revised one here for a final critique. Definitely taking some suggestions from here.

What did you pay for flights if you don't mind my asking? I couldn't find anything under about $1600 and we paid $1770 just for a better plane and better overall timetable. Connection through LAX and the long haul with American Airlines.

BavarianBeast
09-12-2019, 12:00 PM
I've got 25 hour flight there and back. Was $1675 after tax.

Calgary - LAX - Sydney - Queenstown with about 5 hours of layover in total.

Mitsu3000gt
09-13-2019, 09:38 AM
I've got 25 hour flight there and back. Was $1675 after tax.

Calgary - LAX - Sydney - Queenstown with about 5 hours of layover in total.

Oh ok that's not too bad then, similar price. At least your layovers are pretty short, ours I think are 6hr on each end but one less connection - probably just going to try grab a hotel room near by and nap. There was one other option with a 1h35m layover but I was too scared we would miss it if your flight had any delay.

Stupid American Airlines won't let me upgrade to premium economy because I didn't buy that ticket to begin with - first time in my life I haven't been able to just log into the seat selection online and pick a seat in a better 'cabin' class. We got some extra leg room but they said the only way we could get premium economy was to cancel our flights, pay cancellation fees, and then re-book in a different cabin class.

Brent.ff
09-25-2019, 09:40 AM
FYI, dont forget that NZ now needs electronic visa

https://www.newzealandetavisa.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=Cj0KCQjwoKzsBRC5ARIsAITcwXGO73DpnPv-_fZArdpeOjvi_WNG3XFHvZqKLQi2Wo7ZiKXPCxM3FV0aAnSNEALw_wcB

We're going to start going through our itinerary for the south island this weekend.

What are the must sees? We are flying into christchurch, then will rent a car to travel the island over 3 weeks

Mitsu3000gt
09-25-2019, 09:42 AM
FYI, dont forget that NZ now needs electronic visa

https://www.newzealandetavisa.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=Cj0KCQjwoKzsBRC5ARIsAITcwXGO73DpnPv-_fZArdpeOjvi_WNG3XFHvZqKLQi2Wo7ZiKXPCxM3FV0aAnSNEALw_wcB

We're going to start going through our itinerary for the south island this weekend.

What are the must sees? We are flying into christchurch, then will rent a car to travel the island over 3 weeks

Thanks for the heads up, last time I looked into that it said Canadians were OK, but looks like that has changed.

Brent.ff
10-03-2019, 09:55 AM
Our Itininerary, only place we're really missing is the NE part of the Island...

Feb 2-4 Waikuku Beach
Feb 4-7 Brooklyn
Feb 7-9 Hokitika
Feb 9-12 Lake Hawea
Feb 12-14 Glenorchy
Feb 14 - 17 Manapouri
Feb 17- 19 Winton
Feb 19- 21 Twizel
Feb 21 Christchurch

Mitsu3000gt
10-04-2019, 01:28 PM
Alright we've done a lot of reading and looking at other people's itineraries, what do you guys think of this:

Arrive Nov 8
Nov 8-10 Auckland (Nov 9 U2 concert)
Nov 10-13 Rotorua / Taupo (wine tour on nearby island, glow worms, zorbing, etc.)
Nov 13-15/16 Wellington

Ferry to south island

Nov 15-16 Picton / Nelson (long drive day)
Nov 16-18 Franz Josef
Nov 18-23 Queenstown - lots of day trips from here (one of those nights in Te Anau en route to Milford sound)
Nov 23 - fly to Auckland and return home

Things we're unsure about still as they are detours:

Abel Tasman
Christchurch
Mt Cook

tch7
10-05-2019, 01:42 PM
Looks good. One full day in Wellington is plenty, so if you steal a day from there it would allow a day trip to Abel Tasman from Nelson.

Christchurch and Mt Cook probably aren't worth the detour involved.

ExtraSlow
10-05-2019, 04:05 PM
Agree that Christchurch and mt cook aren't worth the detours. I'm a big believer in seeing fewer places and either taking your time on the travel days or spending more time the places you do go.

Mitsu3000gt
10-07-2019, 09:11 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. We'll probably stick with that then and maybe peel a day off Wellington for one of the other detours.

Did anyone stay in any especially cool hotels or anything that stood out? We were looking at the Te Waonui Forest Retreat for a night or two.

EDIT: I should also ask about rental car companies. Looks like the major brands (Budget, Avis, etc.) won't let you use the ferry, but the local ones will. I was looking at Ace - they seem to be reviewed reasonably well and are well priced. Lots of horror stories about Ezi on forums despite them being reviewed well, and Apex's prices are insane (literally double everyone else). Snap rentals is well reviewed too.

Brent.ff
01-06-2020, 10:59 AM
@mistu300gt BavarianBeast

how were your trips?

Mitsu3000gt
01-06-2020, 11:32 AM

how were your trips?

We really liked NZ, probably top 3 for us in terms of countries visited, up there with Japan and Iceland.

We went Auckland --> Rotorua --> Taupo --> Wellington (Ferry to south) --> Mapua --> Franz Joseph --> Queenstown.

Highlights:

- U2 Concert in Auckland
- Gannet colony on North Island
- Zorbing in Rotorua
- Weta Studios tour (Wellington)
- Mapua area
- Pretty much everywhere we drove on the South island / Queenstown
- Every hike we did
- Night time Kiwi tour where we saw the world's rarest Kiwi type in the wild - lots of patience required but definitely one of the coolest things we did while there

We got a huge accommodation upgrade at the Rainforest Retreat in Franz Joseph to their best cabin which was a nice surprise.

The North Island was nicer than we had been reading, at least in our opinion.

We couldn't go to Milford Sound - we tried for a week to get a private flight in, but winds and rain made it impossible (also wouldn't have seen much if we did go due to the weather).

I also tried to get a ride in a Seabreacher X but the only day I could do it, winds picked up last minute (literally had my life jacket on ready to go and they cancelled it). We got into a jet boat though which was neat.

Good food was ridiculously easy to find. People were all super nice. Roads are good, driving on the "wrong" side is easy and you get used to it almost immediately. Loved having our currency worth ~15% more which is a very rare experience haha. Loved the inclusive GST and no tipping. Overall I think it would be one of the easiest countries to transplant yourself from Canada into, despite being on the other side of the world.

Ended up renting a car from SNAP rentals, it was around $550 for 16 days with full extra insurance and a different drop-off location. 2017 Corolla hatchback. Everyone else wanted around $1400 for the same thing, I couldn't believe the price difference.

Flight on the AA Dreamliner was really quite pleasant, we had extra leg room on the way there but not the way back and I did prefer the extra room (obviously) but it was for the most part a comfortable flight with decent meals and amenities. LAX is an absolute dump though and I will never do another layover there ever again.

Rented our Pocket WiFi from "POCWIFI" and it was pretty good. Our AirBnb's were absurdly cheap, I think the most we paid was $150/nt and we had a mix of entire homes, modern city-center apartments, cabins on gorgeous acreages, and lakefront/oceanfront properties. Our Queenstown AirBnB had a million dollar view on the side of the mountain with a big porch and unobstructed views of the bay and I think it was one of the cheaper ones too.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions here, they definitely helped.

Brent.ff
01-06-2020, 12:33 PM
Any smoke from Australia? Seems to be a thing right now. We leave in 3 weeks

BavarianBeast
01-06-2020, 12:43 PM

how were your trips?

I scrapped the NZ trip and did a West Coast MTB trip.

Hoping to head over at the end of February now. Might stay for a bit, some good opportunity there.

Mitsu3000gt
01-06-2020, 12:58 PM
Any smoke from Australia? Seems to be a thing right now. We leave in 3 weeks

Yes, unfortunately some areas of NZ are pretty badly affected. I have cousins living there currently. It's been in the news as well if you're looking for photos or more info.

This is from yesterday:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/01/05/australia-wildfires-are-turning-new-zealand-sky-an-apocalyptic-orange/