PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used a dealership to source a used car? (Porsche or others)

Neil4Speed
08-19-2019, 12:01 PM
So as the lease is expiring on the TLX shortly – I was hoping to replace it with a used (2011-2013) Cayenne. Of course, the amount of inventory on the used market is pretty limited at any given time and the tough part for me is that I don’t want a black or white colored one, and it seems like that is pretty much all there is out there.

I was wondering if anyone has worked with a dealer to reach out to their customer list (likely sourced by their service dept., or maybe the prior sales listing). I figure that it is an opportunity for the dealer/salesperson to upsell a customer (ie. if you want to trade in, we are able to give better than black book because there is a person – Me, who will buy it directly), or if that person doesn’t end up getting another car, I would be open to paying a ~$300 finder’s fee if I end up buying a car with their referral.

When I went to Lexus and Acura, they seemed a bit reluctant, but when I spoke to the guy who used to work at Honda, he said that it was common practice and cited examples of people hunting out for certain years of CRVs and Elements.

With that said – if anyone has a referral that would be great as well.

Thanks in Advance for any feedback.

realazy
08-19-2019, 12:38 PM
I'm guessing it's common for Honda as they keep emailing me that a customer wants to buy my car and they'll offer a high trade in value. They've emailed me 3-4 times over the past year.

I have a very low km Civic Si, which I'm sure someone would be interested in, so there might be truth to their story.

ercchry
08-19-2019, 01:08 PM
I would think it would be worthwhile talking to Kulu

ExtraSlow
08-19-2019, 01:11 PM
I'm guessing it's common for Honda as they keep emailing me that a customer wants to buy my car and they'll offer a high trade in value. They've emailed me 3-4 times over the past year.

I have a very low km Civic Si, which I'm sure someone would be interested in, so there might be truth to their story.

Honda keeps emailing me about my Fit and Odyssey, it's a sales scam, not because your car is especially desirable.

rx7boi
08-19-2019, 01:12 PM
I got alot of "we have a customer who wants top dollar your vehicle" when I had my Genesis Coupe, which I chalked up to as simple marketing since they also wanted me to trade it in for something else.

Overall, I just ignore correspondence like that as there's no real benefit for me since you almost always fetch a higher price with private sales.

Good luck with the search. I think you'll find that you're just as competent, if not more, as the dealership looking for the vehicle you want.

Are you wanting to leave it in the dealership's hands for time convenience or because you don't think you'll find one in the colour you like?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-19-2019, 01:15 PM
Definitely marketing trying to get you to trade up to a new vehicle.

killramos
08-19-2019, 01:18 PM
All of these “we want to buy your vehicle” guys. See how quick they go radio silent when you mention you don’t want a new car.

jwslam
08-19-2019, 01:27 PM
Have you tried looking Out of Province?
There's probably used dealers that will bring them in including inspection for a convenience fee if you're interested in going that route.

Mitsu3000gt
08-19-2019, 01:33 PM
I've been offered this by dealerships dozens of times. Just another scam to get you into another vehicle most of the time. Any cars they do come up with are either trade-ins that they paid pennies on the dollar for and want you to pay top dollar for, or junk they find at auctions. Also half the time you never even hear from them - they take your name/number and the kind of car you want and then it's silence. The other half of the time they call you with all kinds of cars that aren't even close to what you told them you wanted, harassing you non-stop.

Neil4Speed
08-19-2019, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone

Are you wanting to leave it in the dealership's hands for time convenience or because you don't think you'll find one in the colour you like?

Less for the convenience, moreso they are have access to the information on who has vehicles in certain colors/specs.

Its funny, all of the "your car is in high demand" scam comments. In this situation it wouldn't be a scam, I would actually like to buy the car! haha

Neil4Speed
08-19-2019, 02:30 PM
Have you tried looking Out of Province?
There's probably used dealers that will bring them in including inspection for a convenience fee if you're interested in going that route.

I have been looking Canada wide... Kijiji, Cargurus, Craigslist, Autotrader... you name it! :)

Thats a good plan though.

rx7boi
08-19-2019, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone

Less for the convenience, moreso they are have access to the information on who has vehicles in certain colors/specs.

Its funny, all of the "your car is in high demand" scam comments. In this situation it wouldn't be a scam, I would actually like to buy the car! haha

Haha, for sure. Maybe it's just a matter of time before the one that you like pops up.

I don't think that the dealership will do a better job than you per se. If you have the time, I think looking on Autotrader and Kijiji will eventually yield results; you already know what you want and just have to be patient. It's part of the process when you're looking for a vehicle with specific options. I looked for so long before I found a G37 that wasn't owned by a budget baller living in Rundle :rofl:

Is your vehicle colour/spec option combo in popular demand?

arcticcat522
08-19-2019, 08:26 PM
Honda west has called/emailed a couple times about buying my car. No obligation to buy a new one they say. I imagine they would only give trade in value though. Ain't nobody got time fo that!

Neil4Speed
08-20-2019, 07:37 AM
Haha, for sure. Maybe it's just a matter of time before the one that you like pops up.

I don't think that the dealership will do a better job than you per se. If you have the time, I think looking on Autotrader and Kijiji will eventually yield results; you already know what you want and just have to be patient. It's part of the process when you're looking for a vehicle with specific options. I looked for so long before I found a G37 that wasn't owned by a budget baller living in Rundle :rofl:

Is your vehicle colour/spec option combo in popular demand?

Lol! Got a laugh out of the Rundle Budget baller comment.

I would say that its probably not "popular demand".... in the sense that I am looking for a older high mileage porsche... but that said they do move.

Thanks for the comments everyone, is the $300 finders fee reasonable? Or is that laughable to a sales rep?

G-ZUS
08-20-2019, 08:07 AM
Honda west has called/emailed a couple times about buying my car. No obligation to buy a new one they say. I imagine they would only give trade in value though. Ain't nobody got time fo that!

Honda West has agents that sit on Kijiji etc and message every single car telling them they are interested. Can't say their offers are any good though

bjstare
08-20-2019, 08:19 AM
Lol! Got a laugh out of the Rundle Budget baller comment.

I would say that its probably not "popular demand".... in the sense that I am looking for a older high mileage porsche... but that said they do move.

Thanks for the comments everyone, is the $300 finders fee reasonable? Or is that laughable to a sales rep?

Mind sharing your insight into why you're targeting a higher mileage Cayenne? I looked into getting a Cayenne that was outside of the warranty, but everything I've heard about them indicates maintenance is absolutely atrocious (e.g. battery drainage problems, and battery is located underneath the drivers seat).

jwslam
08-20-2019, 08:21 AM
I looked for so long before I found a G37 that wasn't owned by a budget baller living in Rundle :rofl:
Is it really wrong of us to instantly close any ads with an NE address? :rofl:

ExtraSlow
08-20-2019, 09:26 AM
I think we've all been hurt too many time by the NE budget baller who had his cousin fix up the car.

Back when I was looking for my fit, I was out in the "real" NE looking at a pretty blue one. Turns out it was salvage, and yep, his cousin is a "registered" mechanic who did all the repairs. You can see the paint drips where they resprayed, and oh yeah, they haven't passed the salvage inspection yet, so that's up to the buyer. Sigh. So glad I found the current car from a true beyond baller, it's been great.

bjstare
08-20-2019, 10:54 AM

I do it every time.

rx7boi
08-20-2019, 11:07 AM

I do it every time.

:rofl: I also close the ad if they have beads hanging from the rearview mirror but that's pretty standard if the car is from the NE anyway.

RX_EVOLV
08-20-2019, 11:13 AM
Mind sharing your insight into why you're targeting a higher mileage Cayenne? I looked into getting a Cayenne that was outside of the warranty, but everything I've heard about them indicates maintenance is absolutely atrocious (e.g. battery drainage problems, and battery is located underneath the drivers seat).

Almost curious to know your reasoning for a 2011-2013 Cayenne. Are you looking at the S? or higher trim? how much are they going for now a days anyway..

Neil4Speed
08-21-2019, 07:44 AM
Almost curious to know your reasoning for a 2011-2013 Cayenne. Are you looking at the S? or higher trim? how much are they going for now a days anyway..

The Cayenne is purely an emotional decision. Always loved the interior of that car and I drove one for the first time last weekend. It was a 2011 with 166k on it (high!). I was amazed at how good the condition was with the really only notable wear being swirls on the black paint (fixable with a power polish). It was tight as a drum and drove super strong. It was actually well speced with the moving compass, vented seats and the 18 way full leather sport seats and asking for $22k. I would have probably bit, but I really don’t want a black car again. Just finding it to be boring.

Maybe it’s a form of rebelling for getting the TLX (family car?...) in my mid-20’s instead of something a bit more irresponsible. In terms of maintenance, its not too bad from an independent, and this generation of Cayennes has been quite reliable outside of a few consistant issues which are in specific models and years.

A few issues though that I am internalizing.

1. General option spec on them is poor. They nickle and dime you for everything new, therefore, many are missing “key features”. Examples, Keyless go, Radar Cruise, Ventilated Seats, etc. I looked for curiosity at some of the Infiniti FX’s from 2009 onwards and they have pretty much everything plus more. FX50 and FX35 is also an option on my list.

2. The cost generally. I have been spoiled with a lease on the TLX that was about $366/month with no-money down (0%) and big incentives. All of a sudden doing the math on putting a bunch of money down (which could be used for getting some returns in the market – TMV of money), plus budgeting about 2k a year for maintenance/repair/depreciation… the monthly cost works out to be about $580 a month if I get a one which is about 30k over 5 years. All of a sudden, the Acura RDX A-Spec that I drove on the weekend (well speced and drove very well), for a $580/mo lease seems… reasonable? I just struggle paying almost twice as much as I am right now and not getting any discounts. I probably just need to come to terms with the fact that the TLX deal was truly once in a 10 year kind of thing.

3. I also don’t drive very much, well, won’t be for the next two years. I live and work in downtown. When I move to do the whole family man gig, I am going to try to live as close in as possible (in a small shack likely! Lol), do I need a car sitting in the garage costing me ~900/mo to put on 12,000km? Maybe I should get a cheap old reliable fun car (ie.. 3rd gen GS350 AWD, 09+ FX35) until I need to drive more? But when I start a family…. Will I be able to buy the Porsche?

4. Maybe I’ll just get a lime scooter?

I’m starting to sound like a certain beyond member now.

msommers
08-21-2019, 10:23 AM
Wow I had no idea that you could so easily get into a Cayenne...

https://www.kijijiautos.ca/vip/10323862/?ll=51.05%2C-114.139

But seriously...

https://www.kijijiautos.ca/vip/10486849/?ll=51.05%2C-114.139

rx7boi
08-21-2019, 10:28 AM
I'm a fan of the FX35/50, especially the S models which you don't see very often.

vengie
08-21-2019, 10:30 AM
If you're comparing a used Infiniti and Porsche I would personally take the Infiniti 10/10 times.

Cost of maintenance is significantly lower, and the reliability of the FX has been solid according to the forums.
I almost bought one but couldn't stomach the required premium fuel for my DD.

Neil4Speed
08-21-2019, 11:25 AM
Wow I had no idea that you could so easily get into a Cayenne...

https://www.kijijiautos.ca/vip/10323862/?ll=51.05%2C-114.139

But seriously...

https://www.kijijiautos.ca/vip/10486849/?ll=51.05%2C-114.139

Unfortunately the Hybrids are one of the ones that has had scattered issues.

And the number of cheap turbos I have seen in the prior gen is staggering, but I don't really have the same love for the older ones.

88CRX
08-21-2019, 12:22 PM
2. The cost generally. I have been spoiled with a lease on the TLX that was about $366/month with no-money down (0%) and big incentives. All of a sudden doing the math on putting a bunch of money down (which could be used for getting some returns in the market – TMV of money), plus budgeting about 2k a year for maintenance/repair/depreciation… the monthly cost works out to be about $580 a month if I get a one which is about 30k over 5 years. All of a sudden, the Acura RDX A-Spec that I drove on the weekend (well speced and drove very well), for a $580/mo lease seems… reasonable? I just struggle paying almost twice as much as I am right now and not getting any discounts. I probably just need to come to terms with the fact that the TLX deal was truly once in a 10 year kind of thing.

I struggled with the same thing.... and I'm picking up my new RDX A-Spec tomorrow. I negotiated them pretty hard and ended up about 3% over invoice on a new 2020. Let me know if you want more details.

And yes that TLX lease deal was pretty insane. When I started shopping I couldn't even get into a 2.0T Sport Accord for a similar price. Like others said in the Recession Deal thread lease deals have dried up considerably.

NRGie
08-21-2019, 12:44 PM
I struggled with the same thing.... and I'm picking up my new RDX A-Spec tomorrow. I negotiated them pretty hard and ended up about 3% over invoice on a new 2020. Let me know if you want more details.

And yes that TLX lease deal was pretty insane. When I started shopping I couldn't even get into a 2.0T Sport Accord for a similar price. Like others said in the Recession Deal thread lease deals have dried up considerably.

I’m curious, how did you know it was 3% specifically over invoice. Did they show the invoice?

revelations
08-21-2019, 12:45 PM
I think we've all been hurt too many time by the NE budget baller who had his cousin fix up the car.

Back when I was looking for my fit, I was out in the "real" NE looking at a pretty blue one. Turns out it was salvage, and yep, his cousin is a "registered" mechanic who did all the repairs. You can see the paint drips where they resprayed, and oh yeah, they haven't passed the salvage inspection yet, so that's up to the buyer. Sigh. So glad I found the current car from a true beyond baller, it's been great.

I've bought about 6 vehicles in the last 10 years (private) and never have I bought in the NE - for exactly these reasons. I did look at one, once, but I ended up not buying. |

So many people are all about cosmetic mods without doing the basic maintenance and mechanical work required for upkeep.

88CRX
08-21-2019, 03:46 PM
I’m curious, how did you know it was 3% specifically over invoice. Did they show the invoice?

Invoice price according to Car Cost Canada.

NRGie
08-21-2019, 08:06 PM
Invoice price according to Car Cost Canada.

Anyone know how accurate these reports actually are?

R-Audi
08-22-2019, 08:46 AM
Now its changed to Unhaggle.. and its free which is nice. Also gives you the option of having a dealer call you that will hopefully be willing to move on the price.

NRGie
08-22-2019, 09:04 AM
Now its changed to Unhaggle.. and its free which is nice. Also gives you the option of having a dealer call you that will hopefully be willing to move on the price.

I just checked it out, it’s amazing. Makes you jump through a couple hoops which is understandable because they need to monetize it somehow. Thanks for bringing this up though!

88CRX
08-22-2019, 09:20 AM
Anyone know how accurate these reports actually are?

Not to hijack this thread but I think they're somewhat accurate.

From what I've read dealers still get many other potential manufacturer kickbacks/rebates and the real cost is still slightly lower then these reports state. Unless you get a dealer GM on records stating otherwise who knows.

But they do work as a good starting point. Add in some profit (2%-5%) and get er' done.

Skrilla
08-22-2019, 09:34 AM

From what I've read dealers still get many other potential manufacturer kickbacks/rebates and the real cost is still slightly lower then these reports state.

you are correct. When I worked for GM, they would do those Employee pricing sales. Technically it was the invoice price, and funny enough a random customer could pay less than the employee as the dealer charged $250 over invoice for employees at any time. But they would get a incentive from GM, which is where they made their money on those sales. It may vary by dealer/MFG, but ours was based on each unit, and changes by volume of total sold during the sale.

NRGie
08-22-2019, 09:34 AM

From what I've read dealers still get many other potential manufacturer kickbacks/rebates and the real cost is still slightly lower then these reports state. Unless you get a dealer GM on records stating otherwise who knows.

But they do work as a good starting point. Add in some profit (2%-5%) and get er' done.

I have access to Honda/Acura dealer costs and it was spot on when I priced an Acura RDX A-Spec on unhaggle