PDA

View Full Version : problem installing cv axle

djfob
03-29-2004, 09:04 PM
Can't seem to get my driver cv axle back into the tranny. It's all lubed up and the splines matched up but no matter how hard I push it, it just won't pop in. Any help would be great.;)

knucklebuster
03-29-2004, 09:12 PM
Are the splines in good shape and the same diameter? Most axles
are remanufactured and sometimes things slip through the cracks. If the splines are slightly distorted, they will not mesh easily and will resist your efforts to install the axle. When the axles are shipped, they get knocked around. They also fall into the hands of different mechanics and get returned. There are many reasons why the splines could be screwed up. If they are not so bad, you can take a thin triangular file and try to clean them up or just exchange the axle if you are not sure..

djfob
03-29-2004, 09:17 PM
The splines look good but I will double check to make sure.

hendosa
03-29-2004, 09:33 PM
:nut: Personally I would stay away from filing it, get a better look at it! Are the splines keyed at all?? Match it up with your old one if you haven't cored it yet. Just a few ideas that might help...:burnout:

lancer_evo_7
03-29-2004, 09:44 PM
If you look at the end of the splined part there should be a little ring in a groove that can move around....sometimes its tricky to get it in because of that ring. Just keep trying and move the ring before you put it in. That should help. What kind of car is it. I find that dodges are terrible to put cvs in.

cobber112879
03-29-2004, 09:47 PM
I'm sure the splines are fine. The axel will need a good whack with a hammer to compress the c clip and allow the axel to slip into the differential. Put the old axel nut on a couple threads so you don't damage the end of the axel with the hammer.:thumbsup:

djfob
03-29-2004, 11:04 PM
Yep that damn clip made it harder. Just got lucky and it popped in. Thanks anyways guys.:thumbsup:

h2k
04-08-2004, 10:03 PM
Have any of you ever heard of CV Axle Express Inc. It's in my home town. I have purchased many axles from there.

http://cvaxleexpress.com

cv axle express (http://cvaxleexpress.com)