PDA

View Full Version : Disney+

Pages : [1] 2

jampack
08-24-2019, 11:20 AM
With lots of announcements of future series coming to Disney+ from the D23 expo, let’s make a thread about it! Anyone getting in to the bandwagon?

ExtraSlow
08-24-2019, 11:27 AM
I hate Disney the corporation, but I'm probably getting it.

ThePenIsMightier
08-24-2019, 01:14 PM
I hate Disney the corporation, but I'm probably getting it.

I'm fine with them, but the Golden Age of streaming services is rapidly coming to an end. Instead of cutting cable and getting by on Netflix, we're now going to "need" Netflix, Prime, Disney+ and Crave which is going to cost more than the cable we all felt was too much when we started down this path.
Le fail!

Buster
08-24-2019, 05:10 PM
Cable was just a distribution network. With the streaming services you are paying for the actual content, rather than a fee to a middle-man like Shaw.

Cable was a poor value because the content was all garbage network TV shows, garbage specialty cable channels, and sports.

Netflix and Disney rae turning your dollars into actual content. And its aweome.

speedog
08-24-2019, 05:12 PM
I'm fine with them, but the Golden Age of streaming services is rapidly coming to an end. Instead of cutting cable and getting by on Netflix, we're now going to "need" Netflix, Prime, Disney+ and Crave which is going to cost more than the cable we all felt was too much when we started down this path.
Le fail!

Well the masses wanted to stick it to the big bad cable companies plus network providers and now this looks like what they'll get - options albeit at a greater price. Now granted, they all can be an on demand type of service but they also control what content they wish to make available. Currently we have a TELUS package that includes Crave and we also have Netflix and Prime on the side - I suppose the only thing that makes it all somewhat digestible is me getting 40% off of my TELUS services.

Now what does this mean for a National Geographic specialty channels as the are partly owned by Disney - will they remain as a part of my TELUS package or will they be migrated over to Disney+? Crap, I just discovered ESPN is owned mostly by Disney as well.

Asian_defender
08-24-2019, 09:43 PM
There's a reason why Disney is so successful, I'm sure their streaming service is going to be great
Surprised that it hasn't been confirmed on firetv yet. I'm sure that'll change come launch day

rx7boi
08-24-2019, 10:06 PM
+1 what Buster said.

Basic cable is at least 20 bucks a month but for $16.99 I have access to everything on Netflix with no commercials either.

You don't "need" to have everything under the sun and you can also cancel subscriptions with a click of a button.

Our streaming era is great. Fuck cable television lol.

spikerS
08-25-2019, 09:59 AM
+1 what Buster said.

Basic cable is at least 20 bucks a month but for $16.99 I have access to everything on Netflix with no commercials either.

You don't "need" to have everything under the sun and you can also cancel subscriptions with a click of a button.

Our streaming era is great. Fuck cable television lol.

Your argument makes no sense. What you just said is now instead of paying 1 company to distribute everything and picking what you want from them, you pick a bunch of smaller companies, and pay a lesser amount to each of them, but when combined, makes it more expensive than paying the initial first company... does not compute...

feels like we are taking a step back. We used to / still can get all of our wanted programmings from one place, but now we want to go and get them from multiple places...

Netflix was awesome. One stop shop, no commercials, on demand programming. Now we have to subscribe to multiple streaming services, and pay more bills, which will probably add up to more than what I pay for my regular cable bill.

ThePenIsMightier
08-25-2019, 10:58 AM
Your argument makes no sense. What you just said is now instead of paying 1 company to distribute everything and picking what you want from them, you pick a bunch of smaller companies, and pay a lesser amount to each of them, but when combined, makes it more expensive than paying the initial first company... does not compute...

feels like we are taking a step back. We used to / still can get all of our wanted programmings from one place, but now we want to go and get them from multiple places...

Netflix was awesome. One stop shop, no commercials, on demand programming. Now we have to subscribe to multiple streaming services, and pay more bills, which will probably add up to more than what I pay for my regular cable bill.

This is my thinking, as well. We spend ____ hours staring at a rectangle each week, regardless. Now the content has been spread out to the point that the cost is higher than it was with the guys we did nothing but bitch about being too expensive. Our $/hr entertainment rate has gone up and we still spend the same hours.

killramos
08-25-2019, 11:34 AM
I don’t see how multiple streaming services is any worse than cable.

Want basic channels? 50 bucks a month, liken this to just having Netflix.

Want more? Scales up from there just like adding on additional streaming services.

Want HBO channels? That’s another add on.

NFL Sunday ticket? More cost.

Specialty movies? Please add more.

I don’t see how have a few different streaming services is any different.

I could probably subscribe to every streaming service under the sun, including the dedicated sports ones, and pay about the same as full cable but for a 50x better experience. Cable needs to either innovate and offer a better experience for what they charge (looking at you Shaw on no plans for 4K content and it’s almost 2020) or die.

As it stands I’ll be cancelling my cable next June when my Bluesky contract expires, what a waste of money.

The difference is now the control is far more in the hands of the consumer for who they want to give their money to

ThePenIsMightier
08-25-2019, 01:19 PM
I don’t see how multiple streaming services is any worse than cable.

Want basic channels? 50 bucks a month, liken this to just having Netflix.

Want more? Scales up from there just like adding on additional streaming services.

Want HBO channels? That’s another add on.

NFL Sunday ticket? More cost.

Specialty movies? Please add more.

I don’t see how have a few different streaming services is any different.

I could probably subscribe to every streaming service under the sun, including the dedicated sports ones, and pay about the same as full cable but for a 50x better experience. Cable needs to either innovate and offer a better experience for what they charge (looking at you Shaw on no plans for 4K content and it’s almost 2020) or die.

As it stands I’ll be cancelling my cable next June when my Bluesky contract expires, what a waste of money.

The difference is now the control is far more in the hands of the consumer for who they want to give their money to

You're not wrong, but consider it this way. About 20+ years ago, to keep up with the shows everyone was watching, you needed to see Seinfeld, Friends, Simpsons, Survivor and probably a couple others. Not an exhaustive list, but all on cable.
Now you need to watch Better Call Saul, Top Gear, Gay of Thrones, Ozark and whatever kids stuff if you have kids and that locks you into cable, plus 3 other services.
Yes, you always had the option of adding infinite shit in cable but now I think it's worse than before just to keep up with the popular shows.

Tik-Tok
08-25-2019, 03:55 PM

Because as said we can pick and choose what we want, and cancel it at the drop of a hat. Something cable companies refused to let us do for decades. Also I have no problem paying more for no god damn commercials.

Xtrema
08-26-2019, 08:30 AM
The only reservation I have about Disney+ is that it is sticking with old TV model of no binge. You have to wait for weekly release of episodes.

And it's probably matter of time, ads comes back into play, especially on hulu.

So while I agree with Buster to a degree, we are not better off and I think eventually we will end up where we started, back to pirating.

rx7boi
08-26-2019, 08:34 AM

I never said anything about paying multiple companies. In fact, I literally said that you don't need to have subscriptions to everything.

Personally, I only have Netflix and Prime which was included with my annual Amazon fee. It is usually enough for what I need.

People who subscribe to Netflix, Hulu, Crave, and HBO simultaneously aren't using their money wisely over the long term unless you're just sitting there binging every single day just to make it worth your while, or if you don't mind paying to have an excess of title choice. I am not convinced that you wouldn't be spending a pretty penny on a mack daddy premium, everything-under-the-sun television package.

I have options, though. For any titles that aren't on Netflix or Prime, I just download them off YTS.

rage2
08-26-2019, 09:03 AM
The only reservation I have about Disney+ is that it is sticking with old TV model of no binge. You have to wait for weekly release of episodes.

And it's probably matter of time, ads comes back into play, especially on hulu.
Hulu has the premium ad free option. Disney+ has a bundle offer for Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+ but you can not get it ad free in a bundle. So yea, they're forcing ads on Hulu back in play if you want the discounted bundle pricing.

Not that it matters in Canada, it's US only for Hulu and ESPN+. I use it behind a VPN. Going to miss commercial free.

rage2
08-26-2019, 09:05 AM
I never said anything about paying multiple companies. In fact, I literally said that you don't need to have subscriptions to everything.

Personally, I only have Netflix and Prime which was included with my annual Amazon fee. It is usually enough for what I need.

People who subscribe to Netflix, Hulu, Crave, and HBO simultaneously aren't using their money wisely over the long term unless you're just sitting there binging every single day just to make it worth your while, or if you don't mind paying to have an excess of title choice. I am not convinced that you wouldn't be spending a pretty penny on a mack daddy premium, everything-under-the-sun television package.

I have options, though. For any titles that aren't on Netflix or Prime, I just download them off YTS.
That's a long way of saying "I'll just buy the base package and steal the rest". :rofl:

rx7boi
08-26-2019, 09:28 AM
:rofl: :rofl:

Touche

spikerS
08-26-2019, 10:36 AM
That's a long way of saying "I'll just buy the base package and steal the rest". :rofl:

That's kind of the point I failed to iterate. In addition to requiring the subscription to multiple streaming sources and paying an equivalent amount to what you would pay for a cable package, it is just going to push people back to pirating. That's what I am doing again. I had stopped because pretty much everything I wanted to watch was on Netflix. Now, a lot of that programming is being clawed back over the past few years and moving to various streaming platforms, and I am using Netflix a lot less. and now I am finding that I am starting to resort to Pirate Bay again after not using it once over the last 3ish years.

rx7boi
08-26-2019, 10:43 AM
Well, to be fair, his point is more in jest. I pirate it if it's a new title that just came out, or if it's not available on the Netflix/Prime platform.

If you're paying for cable TV, that new title is not going to be available right away either so it's a moot point.

You make it sound like multiple subscription services are a necessity. They aren't.

rage2
08-26-2019, 11:26 AM
The music industry has moved in the right direction with an "all you can eat" subscription model under a single roof. Spotify, Apple Music works, and even hold outs are joining so you literally get all music for one price. I'm just not sure if or when Hollywood and TV networks are ready for such a move. The stakes are much higher as production budgets are much higher in TV vs Music.

I don't expect things to change much, as each provider is doing all they can to maximize revenues right now, and slowly shifting from licensing to others to stream to building streaming services themselves.

rx7boi
08-26-2019, 11:48 AM
I'd be interested in analytics on the total amount of titles offered relative to how many I've newly watched, already seen, and rewatched multiple times.

The amount of unwatched titles probably goes up the more subscriptions you have.

If Disney+ has something I'm really interested in, I'd add that to my expense but I think it's worth evaluating which services you no longer use and getting rid of those.

speedog
08-26-2019, 12:11 PM
For my wife and I, it's the KISS principle when it comes to video. We have a TELUS package with some add-ons and we can get to Netflix easily through that same box and that provides all we desire. Seeing a movie as soon as possible after it's been released doesn't matter to us but then she is in her early 50's and I'm in my late 50's so probably a different demographic then most beyond members. I don't want to be bothered with VPN this and VPN that or having another device hooked up to my television that I have to teach myself to use as well as my wife and trust me, she'd be the real challenge in all of this because she's still trying to figure out our 6 button HDMI switcher remote. One of the kids that's still at home has Prime but we've got to use the XBOX for that and she or I can be bothered with that - we to just switch on the television and watch it, no mucking around.

Xtrema
08-26-2019, 12:17 PM
For my wife and I, it's the KISS principle when it comes to video. We have a TELUS package with some add-ons and we can get to Netflix easily through that same box and that provides all we desire. Seeing a movie as soon as possible after it's been released doesn't matter to us but then she is in her early 50's and I'm in my late 50's so probably a different demographic then most beyond members. I don't want to be bothered with VPN this and VPN that or having another device hooked up to my television that I have to teach myself to use as well as my wife and trust me, she'd be the real challenge in all of this because she's still trying to figure out our 6 button HDMI switcher remote. One of the kids that's still at home has Prime but we've got to use the XBOX for that and she or I can be bothered with that - we to just switch on the television and watch it, no mucking around.

Eventually the conversation will turn to why such and such movie hasn't come to Netflix yet and then you find out you need another subscription to get it.

That said, I assume VOD may still cover some people's needs as long as you catch it in time.

End of the, I don't think we have enough time of the day to watch all the contents being created right now.

speedog
08-26-2019, 12:27 PM
Eventually the conversation will turn to why such and such movie hasn't come to Netflix yet and then you find out you need another subscription to get it.

That said, I assume VOD may still cover some people's needs as long as you catch it in time.

End of the, I don't think we have enough time of the day to watch all the contents being created right now.

Missing a movie isn't the end of the world for us, we'll get up the next morning and the sun will still rise.

killramos
08-26-2019, 12:29 PM
Movie purchases and rentals are still a thing for one offs...

Just saying.

rx7boi
08-26-2019, 01:44 PM

I can relate to that. I don't mess around with VPN, media servers, and other stuff. I can access pretty much everything through my Vizio TV (Youtube, Prime, Netflix).

At the end of the day, it's hard to see the need for 4+ subscriptions like some are alluding to. Unless you enjoy an excess of choice, I feel like having a couple subscriptions ought to provide most people with plenty of titles.

Netflix 4k subscription is $16.99 a month and Prime Video comes out to $6.50 a month, and that only came because I got Prime for Amazon purchases. That seems like a pretty good deal to me.

There's always with the option to buy/rent any standalone digital titles but yes, you'd probably have to fiddle around with iTunes for that.

Most of the summer blockbusters I pirate end up being on Netflix so I suppose I'm paying for it eventually? Haha.

suntan
08-26-2019, 02:53 PM
You don't need all of them at once.

I seriously doubt I'm going to bother with Disney+ until they have a bunch of content ready to binge, and then I'll subscribe for a couple of months.

It takes nothing to unsub. Unlike cable which is a major, major chore.

And no commercials, you watch on-demand and basically anything with a screen usually has an app.

rage2
08-26-2019, 03:08 PM
There's always with the option to buy/rent any standalone digital titles but yes, you'd probably have to fiddle around with iTunes for that.
It's 2019. Everybody has buy/rent options. Google Play Movies if you're on Android, iTunes for Apple, Amazon Video for Amazon. Zero fiddling around, tight integration with whatever platform you're on.

rx7boi
08-26-2019, 03:27 PM
It's 2019. Everybody has buy/rent options. Google Play Movies if you're on Android, iTunes for Apple, Amazon Video for Amazon. Zero fiddling around, tight integration with whatever platform you're on.

Fo sho. iTunes and Apple TV just came to mind first since I've read your numerous posts about Apple TV and Dolby Vision titles.

I may check out Google Play Movies in the future. They offer 4K/HDR for some blockbuster hits that I'm interested in. One day I really need to sit down and experience a Dolby Vision movie on a dedicated setup so I can finally tell what sort of premium experience you get with DV.

HiSpec
08-26-2019, 08:12 PM
What's the chance I can use a Disney+ account from a US account owner? This way I can take advantage of Hulu and ESPN. But I guess it'll be IP tracked...

rage2
08-26-2019, 09:03 PM
It won’t be. ;)

In other news Disney+ will have 4K HDR at launch at the same price. None of this Netflix more money bullshit. Netflix’s 4K material is actually quite terrible because of its extremely high compression rates, here’s hoping Disney+ streams at closer to iTunes and Vudu bitrates.

HiSpec
08-27-2019, 11:59 AM
It won’t be. ;)

:devil:

jampack
11-12-2019, 07:57 AM
This comes out today. Just signed up and you get the first week free! Looks good so far!

killramos
11-12-2019, 08:28 AM
I can’t get the signup page to load lol

Buster
11-12-2019, 08:56 AM
I watched the New Hope on 4k HDR on my projector @ 160 inches. amazing.

dirtsniffer
11-12-2019, 09:25 AM
Sick can't wait.

Errr i mean the kid is really going to love this

89coupe
11-12-2019, 09:29 AM
Downloaded the App, purchased the year subscription for $89.99, login, and...

jampack
11-12-2019, 09:37 AM
Yap. Got the year subscription also. It goes up and down but I only had a problem once when signing up. It has been working for me since.

Star Wars Episodes up to Episode VII in it too.

89coupe
11-12-2019, 09:37 AM
Well that was quick to fix

89coupe
11-12-2019, 09:48 AM
Ohhhh

nzwasp
11-12-2019, 10:52 AM
Theres some issues for some people -
Disney's statement on twitter was "The demand for #DisneyPlus has exceeded our highest expectations. We are so pleased you’re excited to watch all your favorites and are working quickly to resolve any current issues. We appreciate your patience."

Andy643
11-12-2019, 12:18 PM
Hoping for a Black Friday deal before we sign up.

Kavy
11-12-2019, 04:00 PM
The amount of Dolby vision titles is blowing my mind.

jwslam
11-12-2019, 04:21 PM
https://www.cnet.com/news/disney-plus-puts-the-simpsons-in-widescreen-and-fans-are-not-happy/

rage2
11-12-2019, 04:37 PM
The amount of Dolby vision titles is blowing my mind.
There's more DV titles on streaming than on physical media. You guys have been missing out. MCU movies are all HDR10 physical media and DV through Vudu and now Disney+.

I think I own something like 400 DV titles now from iTunes purchases over the years. Tons were HD purchases that got free upgrades. Now AppleTV+ and Disney+ with their DV streams.

Netflix DV sucks, as does Amazon Prime's, so I don't count those.

suntan
11-12-2019, 04:52 PM
Can someone check if The Simpsons TV episodes are available?

killramos
11-12-2019, 04:52 PM
Supposedly yes, people are up in arms because they are all cut off to widescreen rather than original format.

See post 2 up

schocker
11-12-2019, 04:54 PM
There's more DV titles on streaming than on physical media. You guys have been missing out. MCU movies are all HDR10 physical media and DV through Vudu and now Disney+.

I think I own something like 400 DV titles now from iTunes purchases over the years. Tons were HD purchases that got free upgrades. Now AppleTV+ and Disney+ with their DV streams.

Netflix DV sucks, as does Amazon Prime's, so I don't count those.

That is why I wish I had an apple tv over a shield tv. Google play is always way more money for UHD and then you just get "HDR Available" so no DV. I am over 100 titles now though from my digital copy and movies anywhere scheme.

kenny
11-12-2019, 04:55 PM
Supposedly yes, people are up in arms because they are all cut off to widescreen rather than original format.

See post 2 up

Also because S03E01 is not on D+

Tik-Tok
11-12-2019, 04:55 PM
Can someone check if The Simpsons TV episodes are available?

They are. As mentioned though, they forced widescreen on the non-HD seasons

89coupe
11-12-2019, 05:35 PM
Watched Mandalorian and noticed it was only in 5.1 Dolby, disappointing.

suntan
11-12-2019, 05:42 PM
Sweet Lord The Simpsons are there!

- - - Updated - - -

See post 2 up

Yeah but that's USA people whining.

benyl
11-12-2019, 06:25 PM
Who wants to share their password with me? :rofl:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/12/20960332/disney-plus-password-sharing-streaming-accounts

suntan
11-12-2019, 07:17 PM
Send nudes, will share.

The_Rural_Juror
11-13-2019, 12:59 AM
Send nudes, will share.

Ygpm

Brent.ff
11-13-2019, 08:24 AM
I know, im ghetto, but not having a Crave or D+ app on PS3 is quite annoying..

ThePenIsMightier
11-13-2019, 08:31 AM
I know, im ghetto, but not having a Crave or D+ app on PS3 is quite annoying..

There is now FINALLY a Crave app for Sony products. I know my smart TV finally has it and I think my PS4 does, as well. Check again on PS3.

Brent.ff
11-13-2019, 09:47 AM
If i was going to get a chromecast or stick to make this work.. whats the best option? i wont be upgrading the PS3 until a PS5 is out, and then it's a whole new TV deal as well.. Can i assume i can find something around blackfriday for a stick or apple tv

Asian_defender
11-13-2019, 10:45 AM
If i was going to get a chromecast or stick to make this work.. whats the best option? i wont be upgrading the PS3 until a PS5 is out, and then it's a whole new TV deal as well.. Can i assume i can find something around blackfriday for a stick or apple tv

The Firetv 4k Stick will be on sale black friday. I think its $55 when its on sale

3nergiz3d
11-13-2019, 11:54 AM
Don't forget your cashback on Disney+ Membership

https://www.rakuten.ca/disneyplus

Brent.ff
11-13-2019, 12:38 PM
The Firetv 4k Stick will be on sale black friday. I think its $55 when its on sale

If im not running a 4k tv, it still work? future proof me a bit

beecue
11-13-2019, 01:40 PM
Yes it will. The regular one will be on sale too.

You can share with 4 people simultaneously.

Manhattan
11-13-2019, 05:45 PM
Is there a full list of titles anywhere? Curious what kinda catalogue they'll put up from FOX. Just looking at their website looks like it'll mostly be warmed over regurgitate crap like marvel & star wars. They're even gonna reboot the home alone series. Are the studios getting lazier, people getting dumber, or both? :banghead:

killramos
11-13-2019, 05:51 PM
They could never release another new show or movie and D+ would still be easily worth the money.

beecue
11-13-2019, 06:18 PM
Is there a full list of titles anywhere? Curious what kinda catalogue they'll put up from FOX. Just looking at their website looks like it'll mostly be warmed over regurgitate crap like marvel & star wars. They're even gonna reboot the home alone series. Are the studios getting lazier, people getting dumber, or both? :banghead:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DisneyPlus/wiki/disneypluscontent

There isn't enough content imo. I'm splitting it 4 ways so I don't mind.

Brent.ff
11-13-2019, 06:37 PM
rage2 confused by your statement about IP.. so sign up with US Address has perk?

rage2
11-13-2019, 07:26 PM
rage2 confused by your statement about IP.. so sign up with US Address has perk?
Not sure which post you’re talking about but assuming the vpn one? Hulu and ESPN+ are US only and available as a discounted bundle with Disney+.

Gman.45
11-14-2019, 08:04 AM
Watched Mandalorian and noticed it was only in 5.1 Dolby, disappointing.

What device were you watching on? Netflix/Amazon have 4k capability with the Edge browser (no other ones though), but Disney+ does not, so if you're viewing in a browser it won't have DV/4k. I use HTPC most of the time, but for Disney+ I downloded the App for my LG Tvs (they all updated a couple days ago with this new app), and when using the App on the TV all the DV content shows up and works. Good times.

There are lots of other devices where DV/4k will work with D+, but unfortunately a browser isn't one of them (yet). Nor is there a PC app as Netflix has which will give you the audio codecs for their very limited 4k titles.

Disney+ is a great deal IMO, especially if you have kids.

89coupe
11-14-2019, 09:13 AM
What device were you watching on? Netflix/Amazon have 4k capability with the Edge browser (no other ones though), but Disney+ does not, so if you're viewing in a browser it won't have DV/4k. I use HTPC most of the time, but for Disney+ I downloded the App for my LG Tvs (they all updated a couple days ago with this new app), and when using the App on the TV all the DV content shows up and works. Good times.

There are lots of other devices where DV/4k will work with D+, but unfortunately a browser isn't one of them (yet). Nor is there a PC app as Netflix has which will give you the audio codecs for their very limited 4k titles.

Disney+ is a great deal IMO, especially if you have kids.

Gen 4 Apple TV

What does the visual have to do with the Audio?

I know my Gen 4 supports 7.1 as all the Apple content that is in 7.1 plays in 7.1.

Gman.45
11-14-2019, 09:26 AM
Gen 4 Apple TV

What does the visual have to do with the Audio?

I know my Gen 4 supports 7.1 as all the Apple content that is in 7.1 plays in 7.1.

Hrrm, not sure then, I don't have Apple TV, maybe one of the others here can help. Disney+ help site says your Apple TV 4th gen should be working with 4k. It could be some problems with your initial download maybe, there were a ton of bugs on launch. Maybe try reinstalling it? That's just a WAG.

So far as the audio, that's a Netflix app thing - essentially it means when using Netflix in a browser (Explorer), you can get 4k video but not the better audio with it, but if you use the Windows NEtflix APP or a 4k tv Netflix app, then you get both 4k video and the higher quality audio. Someone else will have to go into more detail, but it's a fact.

rage2
11-16-2019, 10:41 PM
Finally got home to test it out. The quality is great, comparing new MCU movies (particular the last fight on the ship in Captain Marvel) Dolby vision looks way better, even better than the hdr10 disc version. The bright and darks in those scenes are fantastic. Compared to the Vudu version (purchases and UHD redemptions) Disney+ is a little softer, Vudu still shines here with a slight edge in sharpness especially in complex scenes, so my guess is a bit lower bitrate than Vudu. Will be more noticable in bigger screens. If you have a vizio quantum X, you’re going to be blown away by the MCU collection in 4K Dolby vision.

One of the issues I’ve seen with both Apple TV+ and Disney+ is that it starts steaming in lower bitrate so the image is pretty soft for the first minute or 2. This problem doesn’t happen with purchased movies through iTunes or vudu which is full bandwidth full res right from the start.

Edit - quick peek at some of the older titles listed in 4K Dolby Vision, disappointing. Ratatouille (my favorite Pixar film) looks like just straight upscale to 4K. You see edge pixelation on some of the finer details just like the 1080p version. Star Wars ep4-6 looks slightly sharper, but still tons of noise. Neither feature any HDR lighting enhancements. I know some filmmakers aren’t fans of enhancing old films, but I actually like it. No point in marking it Dolby vision if there’s zero enhancements to brightness levels.

The newer shit looks great.

Tik-Tok
11-17-2019, 08:31 AM
. Star Wars ep4-6 looks slightly sharper, but still tons of noise. Neither feature any HDR lighting enhancements. I know some filmmakers aren’t fans of enhancing old films, but I actually like it.

Yeah, George Lucas despises changing old films... :rofl:

rage2
11-17-2019, 09:45 AM
Yeah, George Lucas despises changing old films... :rofl:
:rofl:

I was more referring to guys like QT, but that’s on point.

dirtsniffer
11-17-2019, 09:46 AM
Im having some weird issues with the colors changing on my 4k firestick. Anyone else using 1?

killramos
11-17-2019, 10:55 AM
Finally got home to test it out. The quality is great, comparing new MCU movies (particular the last fight on the ship in Captain Marvel) Dolby vision looks way better, even better than the hdr10 disc version. The bright and darks in those scenes are fantastic. Compared to the Vudu version (purchases and UHD redemptions) Disney+ is a little softer, Vudu still shines here with a slight edge in sharpness especially in complex scenes, so my guess is a bit lower bitrate than Vudu. Will be more noticable in bigger screens. If you have a vizio quantum X, you’re going to be blown away by the MCU collection in 4K Dolby vision.

One of the issues I’ve seen with both Apple TV+ and Disney+ is that it starts steaming in lower bitrate so the image is pretty soft for the first minute or 2. This problem doesn’t happen with purchased movies through iTunes or vudu which is full bandwidth full res right from the start.

Edit - quick peek at some of the older titles listed in 4K Dolby Vision, disappointing. Ratatouille (my favorite Pixar film) looks like just straight upscale to 4K. You see edge pixelation on some of the finer details just like the 1080p version. Star Wars ep4-6 looks slightly sharper, but still tons of noise. Neither feature any HDR lighting enhancements. I know some filmmakers aren’t fans of enhancing old films, but I actually like it. No point in marking it Dolby vision if there’s zero enhancements to brightness levels.

The newer shit looks great.

I think they are working on bringing the original 6 movies to 4K from the original film captures but that is going to take some time.

Anything by Pixar looks great, I assume it’s all re rendered 4K.

rage2
11-17-2019, 11:03 PM
I think they are working on bringing the original 6 movies to 4K from the original film captures but that is going to take some time.

Anything by Pixar looks great, I assume it’s all re rendered 4K.
Newer Pixar movies, yea. Cars 3 is fantastic PQ. Toy Story 3, not so much. Zero HDR enhancements. At least it’s 4K sharpness unlike ratatouille.

Excited to see Coco when it’s out next couple of weeks. The amount of highlights in dark scenes is going to look spectacular. Awesome story too.

pheoxs
11-17-2019, 11:08 PM
Marvel's Hero Project is a pretty good watch if you want a good feels documentary story.

killramos
11-18-2019, 08:46 AM
Newer Pixar movies, yea. Cars 3 is fantastic PQ. Toy Story 3, not so much. Zero HDR enhancements. At least it’s 4K sharpness unlike ratatouille.

Excited to see Coco when it’s out next couple of weeks. The amount of highlights in dark scenes is going to look spectacular. Awesome story too.

A bugs life looked pretty great. But I actually watched that on a non HDR tv.

spike98
11-18-2019, 08:53 AM
Am i going nuts, or is it missing some key user functions like Start from the Beginning selection on a movie/show or a Continue Watching category. These are very handy for the kiddios and i find myself spending time "rewinding" movies that they want to re-watch.

flipstah
11-18-2019, 09:32 AM
FML my Apple TV is incompatible with Disney +

Does this work with Chromecast?

rage2
11-18-2019, 10:27 AM
Am i going nuts, or is it missing some key user functions like Start from the Beginning selection on a movie/show or a Continue Watching category. These are very handy for the kiddios and i find myself spending time "rewinding" movies that they want to re-watch.
Yea, it just starts where you left off. No option to start from beginning. Also missing is a continue watching section. Some apps throw in progress movies into a watchlist, but on Disney+ watchlist is only populated when you explicated add it to the watchlist.

PQ is still all over the map for me. Watched Dr. Strange last night, and it kept popping out of 4K every 15-20 mins for 2 mins.

FML my Apple TV is incompatible with Disney +

Does this work with Chromecast?
Apple TV 3?

Yes it casts to Chromecast.

sabad66
11-18-2019, 10:42 AM

Yup noticed this too. It’s a relatively long process to get my kid up and running g with Mickey Mouse clubhouse on D+ compared to Paw Patrol on Netflix.

rage2
11-18-2019, 10:52 AM
Yup noticed this too. It’s a relatively long process to get my kid up and running g with Mickey Mouse clubhouse on D+ compared to Paw Patrol on Netflix.
On Apple TV I've switched them to the TV app. Disney+ integrates with it, so the features are actually present there.

sabad66
11-18-2019, 10:57 AM
On Apple TV I've switched them to the TV app. Disney+ integrates with it, so the features are actually present there.

Ahh I’ll have to try that out. I’ve just been launching the individual apps from the home screen, never really tried using the TV app.

On a related note, I like how you can pay the D+ sub through Apple. Lately I’ve been buying iTunes credits from Costco at 15-20% off (thx again for the tip rage), so in theory I’m getting the same discount on D+

ExtraSlow
11-18-2019, 11:31 AM
On a related note, I like how you can pay the D+ sub through Apple. Lately I’ve been buying iTunes credits from Costco at 15-20% off (thx again for the tip rage), so in theory I’m getting the same discount on D+

What's the gift card hack through costco? Or is it just itunes cards?

sabad66
11-18-2019, 11:40 AM
What's the gift card hack through costco? Or is it just itunes cards?

Just iTunes gift cards. Buy $100 worth for $80, then pay your subscription through Apple/iTunes.

ExtraSlow
11-18-2019, 11:53 AM
thanks, :hijack:

spike98
11-19-2019, 08:02 AM
More issues popping up for me...

I used an old password to sign up because I did it at work without access to lastpass with the intention of changing it when i got home. Apparently my old password was compromised as i have several other people using my account. My screw up. I know.

What is a massive oversight though is the inability to force log out other devices coupled with the devices staying logged in even through password changes. So i can change my password every day, and those same few still have access.

ExtraSlow
11-19-2019, 08:43 AM
Sounds like lots of accounts are hacked.
https://nationalpost.com/news/thousands-of-disney-user-accounts-have-already-being-hacked-and-resold-online

Anyone who wants to sell me a signin to thier account, PM me.

spike98
11-19-2019, 08:52 AM
https://nationalpost.com/news/thousands-of-disney-user-accounts-have-already-being-hacked-and-resold-online

Yup. Dummies like me that used compromised passwords. They dont have access to my email so they can't lock me out but its annoying and will likely result in me cancelling my account for a period of time.

schurchill39
11-19-2019, 08:53 AM

According to the news in the elevator this morning they are being sold on the dark web! Yikes, not a good start for the service

taemo
11-19-2019, 09:03 AM

not surprised with the amount of users that re-use the same password for different accounts.
Even the article states that.

They definitely launched Disney+ half-baked with missing features and security settings. Hopefully will be resolved soon.
Resume not working all the time and for me, audio volume is low compared to other streaming services on our Windows media PC.

ExtraSlow
11-19-2019, 09:36 AM
Probably a good reminder to run a check 9n all your passwords. I know I have a few reused
Maybe I'll clean that up today.

pheoxs
11-19-2019, 09:38 AM
More issues popping up for me...

I used an old password to sign up because I did it at work without access to lastpass with the intention of changing it when i got home. Apparently my old password was compromised as i have several other people using my account. My screw up. I know.

What is a massive oversight though is the inability to force log out other devices coupled with the devices staying logged in even through password changes. So i can change my password every day, and those same few still have access.

Hackers have been reportedly locking users out of their accounts, logging them off all their devices that are synced to Disney+, then changing the user’s email and password info.

Somehow the "hackers" (who arent hackers) managed to force logoffs so maybe its a option somewhere

nzwasp
11-19-2019, 10:06 AM
I wonder how long it will take them to implement MFA. Does netflix or prime or crave even offer mfa as a security option.

pheoxs
11-19-2019, 10:09 AM
I wonder how long it will take them to implement MFA. Does netflix or prime or crave even offer mfa as a security option.

Kinda stupid in this day and age that everywhere doesn't use it.

shakalaka
11-19-2019, 10:35 AM
Is this better than Amazon Prime?

I barely use Prime but have it. I figured if this is better, I will cancel that for now and try this one out.

nzwasp
11-19-2019, 10:37 AM
Kinda stupid in this day and age that everywhere doesn't use it.

I think the reason that they dont is that it would add cost. I'm betting that these streaming services are hosted either on Azure or AWS, an MFA user costs around $5-10 per month per user on these platforms, so unless they host their own MFA service to drastically lower those user fees then they would only have to increase the costs of their own service to pay for it.

rage2
11-19-2019, 11:05 AM
I think the reason that they dont is that it would add cost. I'm betting that these streaming services are hosted either on Azure or AWS, an MFA user costs around $5-10 per month per user on these platforms, so unless they host their own MFA service to drastically lower those user fees then they would only have to increase the costs of their own service to pay for it.
That's not how it works, and even if it was, it doesn't cost $5-10/month/user lol.

edit - just because I'm an AWS whore, if someone leveraged Cognito to handle their users, MFA is part of basic security. Advanced security will help predict if account has been compromised. The most expensive cost tier for basic is $0.00550/user while advanced bumps that up to $0.05/user. Under a penny to a nickel per month. A service that sells MFA at $5-$10/month? Nobody would buy that lol.

nzwasp
11-19-2019, 11:22 AM
That's not how it works, and even if it was, it doesn't cost $5-10/month/user lol.

edit - just because I'm an AWS whore, if someone leveraged Cognito to handle their users, MFA is part of basic security. Advanced security will help predict if account has been compromised. The most expensive cost tier for basic is $0.00550/user while advanced bumps that up to $0.05/user. Under a penny to a nickel per month. A service that sells MFA at $5-$10/month? Nobody would buy that lol.

Azure MFA costs at minimum $6 a month per user I know because I just bought a license for 250 users for MFA from Azure and it costs me $18K. I just presumed the cost was similar for AWS. Looks like Azure has a free MFA option but it means you have to use their mobile app to get the code which my users didnt want to do.