PDA

View Full Version : Honda Accord Coupe...What to know...

Nufy
08-26-2019, 03:10 PM
Sons Jeep is sold...Now he wants a car...

I managed to talk him out of lancers / used subies and we are now looking at later model Accords.

So...

2009 is and up...

V6 or 4 cyl.

Manual Preferred...

What should I be looking out for when checking used.

Thanks.

rage2
08-26-2019, 03:14 PM
https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/403241-Honda-Accord-gt-*-(split-from-Golf-R-thread)

Darkane
08-26-2019, 03:14 PM
The mythical 6-6. Is your son a race car driver??

jwslam
08-26-2019, 03:57 PM
I just sold my i4 m5
I did a decent amount of research on the 08-12's.
Don't quote me on these "facts".
-They all burn oil. Nothing can be done about it. There's supposed to be a "recall" where they reprogram the ECU but that just lessens the problem, but still will burn. Specifically if you're hitting VTEC all the time.
-The i4 is a timing chain, and v6 is a belt.
-There are minor differences over the years. the 10-12's is when bluetooth started becoming standard, but will only take phone calls not music.
-There are a few kits out there for an aftermarket stereo but I didn't tackle it personally as it would make the dashboard completely weird. (google for pics). The stock stereo is tied into the screen along with temperature controls so that makes things messy. Things get worse if you get one with a factory nav because there's 2 screens.
-Stupid easy to wire in a backup camera. I did it myself.
-Tires: the TPMS will only store 1 set of sensors so be prepared to deal with this when swapping to winters. I just lived with the sensor error every winter season, but that also meant I couldn't disable the VSA

Overall, very happy with this car for the 6 years I owned it. But I also babied it and only put on 30k.

tonytiger55
08-26-2019, 04:04 PM
The 4 cylinder has a timing chain (K Series engine).
They all burn oil. This is normal, just don't let it go too low at it will stretch the chain.

Nufy
08-26-2019, 04:42 PM

LOL...I was wondering if this would come up.

Nufy
08-26-2019, 05:07 PM
https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/403241-Honda-Accord-gt-*-(split-from-Golf-R-thread)

Jesus...thats one hell of a pissing match...

- - - Updated - - -

The 4 cylinder has a timing chain (K Series engine).
They all burn oil. This is normal, just don't let it go too low at it will stretch the chain.

Oil burn as in visible out the exhaust...

I had an Accord "S" hatch back way back in the day that had bad valve seals. Would smoke like a coal engine on start-up.

killramos
08-26-2019, 05:42 PM

Takes a big man to handle that savage ride.

triplep
08-26-2019, 05:45 PM
Takes a big man to handle that savage ride.

Got an 05 6-6..... its a fun little NA car especially when it puts out 240hp and 220 ft/lbs at the wheels. Probably the max for it since its FW and has limited traction.

killramos
08-26-2019, 06:06 PM
Man that thread was gold... when did Sugarphreak start sanitizing his post history?

Vancouver is getting to him.

speedog
08-26-2019, 07:15 PM
Man that thread was gold... when did Sugarphreak start sanitizing his post history?

Vancouver is getting to him.

It looks like he cleaning everything out. Odd.

20 something thousand posts and most of them appeared to have been sanitized. Why?

ExtraSlow
08-26-2019, 07:33 PM
A few old time beyonders have done that. Not sure why. Maybe they plan to run for prime minister?

killramos
08-26-2019, 07:41 PM
Social media can really bite a guy in the ass these days

I wonder what rage2 and kenny ‘s rate is to sanitize all your posts with a script. Could be good money in it rather than wiping 20,000 posts manually.

rage2
08-26-2019, 07:54 PM
There’s no point. We won’t scrub quotes. Anyone can make a script to do it himself. Even if we broke our own rules and did that for someone, web archive would still have everything.

I do wonder what happened with SP. Someone dox’d him here?

Tik-Tok
08-26-2019, 08:15 PM
Wasn't he having a bit of trouble with some asshat troll in the US, with his racing numbers? I wonder if buddy took it to the next level.

killramos
08-26-2019, 08:51 PM
Just hoping it’s nothing serious...

Nufy
08-27-2019, 02:26 PM
Thoughts on this one ?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1454386561&requestSource=b

Skrilla
08-27-2019, 02:37 PM

Holy shit I forgot about this, the mother of derailing. Had to give it a re-read, I almost forgot how "race filters" can make family cars into monsters. My wife had one of these 6-6 accords, was nice to drive long distance, never had any issues with it, and I doubt you could go wrong.

Xtrema
08-27-2019, 02:39 PM
Wasn't he having a bit of trouble with some asshat troll in the US, with his racing numbers? I wonder if buddy took it to the next level.

Wow.

jwslam
08-27-2019, 02:52 PM
Thoughts on this one ?

Per another thread, the general consensus would be to avoid based on the NE address. But here's my analysis.

-Pricing is on the higher end. I think by about $9k is where it should be at.
-Per above, the 6-6 will have a timing belt, so need to see if it was done (probably not, based on mileage). Similarly because it's a manual ask about the clutch.
-It comes with 2 sets of rims/tires, and you can see in the dashboard pic that there is a TPMS issue with tire pressure. Remember to check if both sets have TPMS.
-Per my comment above, this is the 2 screen Navi model, so an after market stereo needs to be looked at to make sure you get your temp controls right. This car has built in bluetooth but it'll be for calls only.
-The lowered car makes it a f*cking snowplow. Consider whether this will be an issue and ask for original springs?
-wtf is "10k firm OBO"
-I think I've seen this one reposted a few times since I was selling in July looking at comparables.

Xtrema
08-27-2019, 03:04 PM
Also, if that takata air bag doesn't kill you, I'm sure the red Honda badge on the steering wheel will.

Mitsu3000gt
08-27-2019, 03:15 PM
Thoughts on this one ?

I personally wouldn't buy that car if the photo of where it's parked is where it's been stored for the past years...

Also in my mind, the CF(?) hood and mods immediately make me think the car gets bagged. I'd also suggest not buying a lowered car in Calgary, especially if it is driven year round.

Swank
08-27-2019, 03:17 PM
Thoughts on this one ?

Well the description says 'red' so you at least would be bargaining with someone who isn't too swift.

Nufy
08-27-2019, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the info so far...

Its not for me as it will be a replacement for my sons Jeep.

I agree on the location and the lowering...still going to go have a look just to see.

There's a few more in different areas of the city I'm looking at as well.

Stay tuned please. I may need more advise.

Nufy
08-27-2019, 04:52 PM
Tomorrow's viewing...

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1455086439

sneek
08-27-2019, 06:22 PM
Tomorrow's viewing...

That looks like a pretty nice example. Timing belt done saves you a bit of change. Chances are if it was done at the dealer it could have spark plugs and valve adjustment done too.

Mitsu3000gt
08-28-2019, 09:41 AM
I will never stop being baffled by people who don't even clean the car they are trying to sell. There is no easier way to make your car stand out and get more for it, and all it costs is a $200 detail or a few hours of your time.

Nufy
08-28-2019, 09:59 AM
I will never stop being baffled by people who don't even clean the car they are trying to sell. There is no easier way to make your car stand out and get more for it, and all it costs is a $200 detail or a few hours of your time.

Yeah but if its too clean maybe they're hiding something...

Mitsu3000gt
08-28-2019, 10:09 AM
Yeah but if its too clean maybe they're hiding something...

That's when you look at the rest of their property - is their garage clean and organized? Is their yard neat? Are other things they own in perfect shape?

If the place is a dump and their garage is a disaster but the car is way too clean, then I would be suspicious. You'll never know for sure but as a buyer you only have so much to go on.

Tik-Tok
08-28-2019, 10:13 AM
That's when you look at the rest of their property - is their garage clean and organized? Is their yard neat? Are other things they own in perfect shape?

If the place is a dump and their garage is a disaster but the car is way too clean, then I would be suspicious.

Hey now, my garage and toolbox always look like a tornado went through, but I keep my vehicle clean and tidy.

Mitsu3000gt
08-28-2019, 10:18 AM
Hey now, my garage and toolbox always look like a tornado went through, but I keep my vehicle clean and tidy.

Well like I said, you can only do so much due diligence when looking at a used car, but you work with what you got haha.

tonytiger55
08-28-2019, 10:26 AM

If the place is a dump and their garage is a disaster but the car is way too clean, then I would be suspicious. You'll never know for sure but as a buyer you only have so much to go on.

This.

Most of what I do when buying the car is talking to the owner. That will tell you a lot of how the car was driven and maintained. It tells you the reason for them selling .i.e has the family outgrown it, resolved their midlife crisis, did they buy a new vehicle, their spending habits etc.

Years ago I went to see a car. I walked away from owner as he knew nothing about the car. No maintenance records and the car did not seem to fit his lifestyle at all.

Skrilla
08-28-2019, 11:21 AM
This.

Most of what I do when buying the car is talking to the owner. That will tell you a lot of how the car was driven and maintained. It tells you the reason for them selling .i.e has the family outgrown it, resolved their midlife crisis, did they buy a new vehicle, their spending habits etc.

Years ago I went to see a car. I walked away from owner as he knew nothing about the car. No maintenance records and the car did not seem to fit his lifestyle at all.

You must also take note of how many times "Bro" or "Bruh" or any variation is tossed out. Or if you get the "I really love it, but its just too much for me to handle"

Tik-Tok
08-28-2019, 01:29 PM

They're as professional as the fine people at Northland VW, who couldn't even be bothered to take a hose to this car before taking photo's.

Mitsu3000gt
08-28-2019, 01:32 PM
They're as professional as the fine people at Northland VW, who couldn't even be bothered to take a hose to this car before taking photo's.

Yeah dealers are just as bad. I've been shown filthy cars dozens and dozens of times in my years of shopping. They just truly DGAF.

The one thing about used cars at dealers though is I don't mind seeing them RIGHT after they come in on trade - since you have no way of verifiying the history of the car or speaking to the previous owner, it is your only chance to get a glimpse of how the car was taken care of before the lot boy at the dealer destroys the clear coat with a broom and covers the interior in horribly greasy Aromorall.

Nufy
09-05-2019, 09:50 AM
Ended up buying this one.

One owner from new. An entire folder of service records consisting of Oil changes and regular maintenance.

Even has the original Bill of sale from Okotoks Honda.

Owners daughter used it mostly while in school in Lethbridge.

New timing belt at 109k. Currently sitting at 130 k.

Negotiated a better deal than asking in the ad.

I am quite happy with it.

Tomorrow's viewing...