PDA

View Full Version : Where to find Oil and Gas Lunch & Learns (or similar)

The BMW Guy
09-03-2019, 04:00 PM
Edit: Alternatively, if you're open for a lunch/coffee (on me) and you work on the production, refining, transportation or marketing side...let me know! I'd love to pick your brain to learn how the industry works.

Looking to find the most popular groups that put on lunch and learns related to the oil and gas industry. I know SPE (Society Petroleum Engineers) is one and I enjoy theirs but I'd be interested to know what other groups are out there.

Mainly just looking to broaden my scope of knowledge in regards to oil topics: mainly production/upgrading, refining, transportation (rail/pipeline operations) and marketing/trading right now.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

ExtraSlow
09-03-2019, 04:09 PM
CSUR is good, although may be too far "upstream" for your preferred topics.

You should buy me a coffee and I'll talk your ear off on gas gathering or production stuff.

Thaco
09-03-2019, 04:11 PM
huh, people go looking for these things? and here I've done everything i can for years to avoid them.

1-on-1 i could see value in, normally these lunch n learns are a snoozefest

schocker
09-03-2019, 04:14 PM
huh, people go looking for these things? and here I've done everything i can for years to avoid them.

HAVE YOU EVER TRIED SPOLUMBOS! :rofl:
I only go to lunch and learns that are technical now so like equipment manufacturers like compressors, spartan does good ones on specific items as well.

pheoxs
09-03-2019, 04:21 PM

APEGA requires us to do a certain amount of professional development hours every year above just working so relevant seminars are better than wasting time at one for the credits. Lunch and learns count towards informal learning

ExtraSlow
09-03-2019, 06:58 PM
APEGA requires us to do a certain amount of professional development hours every year above just working so relevant seminars are better than wasting time at one for the credits. Lunch and learns count towards informal learning

You know most people fake those PD hours, right?

ThePenIsMightier
09-03-2019, 07:41 PM

Not Curt Stout!!
LoL!

pheoxs
09-03-2019, 07:52 PM

I know, but if my company pays for it why not actually go to them, always good to learn

ExtraSlow
09-03-2019, 07:54 PM
Oh for sure. I love learning and attending crap like this. Hell, I present at crap like this. I just think the APEGA requirement is terrible reason.

killramos
09-03-2019, 08:55 PM
The onus for claiming PD hours is pretty low.

I let my summer student tag along for coffee a few times through the year, that’s mentoring hours boys.

lasimmon
09-03-2019, 09:20 PM
I got audited a couple years ago on my PD hours :rofl:

killramos
09-03-2019, 09:25 PM
I got audited a couple years ago on my PD hours :rofl:

Haha did it take much to satisfy them?

lasimmon
09-03-2019, 09:32 PM
I was unemployed at the time so I sent them some stuff and never heard back. But I heard you can get some grace if you aren’t working so who really knows.

freshprince1
09-19-2019, 03:09 PM
Canadian Heavy Oil Association (CHOA) puts these on, and they are usually pretty informative. Plus good networking opportunities too. I've been a member for close to 10 years and they're a great organization. Non-members can attend for like $50 and they're usually held at the Calgary Petroleum Club. They call them Technical Lunches. They're held quarterly now, but they used to be monthly before the downturn. They still do other events in between.

edit: abhorrent grammar.

vengie
09-19-2019, 03:57 PM
I'm a member of and actively attend the Well Integrity and Abandonment Society events.
They are held on a monthly basis

lasimmon
09-19-2019, 04:03 PM
I'm a member of and actively attend the Well Integrity and Abandonment Society events.
They are held on a monthly basis

This past year was pretty terrible for presentations however.

vengie
09-19-2019, 04:29 PM
This past year was pretty terrible for presentations however.

I won't disagree with you.

Except for my presentation, it was awesome /bias