PDA

View Full Version : Buying an IS300 in 2019?

b_t
09-25-2019, 06:51 PM
I'm sick of dailying a truck with no creature comforts whatsoever and want to go back to a car and pocket money while I'm at it. Plan is to drive the car for 3-4 years until hybrids are a little more mature and lease returns start popping up on dealer lots so I can get one of those. A next gen 330e maybe.

I always liked the IS300 back in the day and am leaning that way. Small, sporty, 2JZ, made by Toyota. I assume they last basically forever and it looks like they didn't really hold their value so I can pick up a really nice example and still pocket lots of money on the deal.

Is there any reason why buying one would be a bad idea? Reliability problems, stone age ergonomics, the motor sucks because it's missing a turbo, the auto trans is trash, etc. It would be a 4 season car and I have read some stuff that they are really bad in the winter. My first car was a '73 Nova with a small block V8 and 195 wide tires and I drove that through a winter just fine when I was 16. I'm sure a 30 year newer Lexus would be better. But at the moment a move like this seems like a slam dunk so please do everything you can do dampen my enthusiasm

edit: holy fuckin LMAO forgot about my user title. it does not play as well in 2019 as it did whenever I got it baahahahah

revelations
09-25-2019, 11:00 PM
I was very close to getting an g1 IS300 about 10 years ago - black, 6spd manual. In good shape - HOWEVER, it needed a Tbelt change. Also, older cars from this era tended to last longer because they were simpler and did not have turbos.

Other than that, an amazing car from when Lexus made decent cars (now they just tech out everything too much).

finboy
09-26-2019, 05:04 AM
The trick is finding one in good shape, they got cheap and a lot of people bought them and destroyed them with poorly done mods.

Asian_defender
09-26-2019, 07:40 AM
The trick is finding one in good shape, they got cheap and a lot of people bought them and destroyed them with poorly done mods.

Agree with that statement, I'm a huge fan of the G1 IS300. Most of them are beat to shit from bros driving them
You'll have better luck finding a good condition GS. Both of them are great cars if you find them in good condition

mr2mike
09-26-2019, 07:48 AM
Always loved the looks of them. Owned one, not sure what the fanfare is all about. They're heavy, slow inline 6 that's underpowered and you'd think that would trade off to good fuel economy or something... nope. I honestly can't say much good about the car. Except they look great. Mine also had every suspension mod and frame brace you could get and I still didn't keep it longer than a year.

CivicDXR
09-26-2019, 09:48 AM

Fully agree with this statement. Like the OP, I've always wanted one, and last spring I got serious about getting one. Only found a few in good shape, but pricing was high for them. Ended up getting one for cheap that was a little beat up, but was a US car, so there was no rust at all, just the front fenders, hood, and bumper were messed up, along with most of the clearcoat (Texas sun fade). But it was in fairly good mechanical shape eevn with its high km, and that was the main thing for me. Been slowly working on the body to get it back to normal ever since.

From what I can see though, the prices in general have gone up since when I was looking last year by about $1500-$2000 across the board.

I winter drove mine last year, and it does not have the optional LSD, so it was not very fun to drive in the winter even with good winter tires (I'm on stoney for a good 20km each way to and from work). Currently at about 400K+ km on the motor and auto drivetrain, and its still running really strong. From what I've read, they are fairly bulletproof if you keep up with the maintenance stuff.

b_t
09-26-2019, 11:42 AM
Always loved the looks of them. Owned one, not sure what the fanfare is all about. They're heavy, slow inline 6 that's underpowered and you'd think that would trade off to good fuel economy or something... nope. I honestly can't say much good about the car. Except they look great. Mine also had every suspension mod and frame brace you could get and I still didn't keep it longer than a year.

that's the most confusing part. 215hp and like 17 miles to the gallon in the city, on premium gas? the fuck? my truck weighs 200 pounds more, has a one liter larger motor, 10 more hp and 50lb-ft more torque, and gets 16 on regular. The same year E46 has a 2.5 liter I6 and gets the same garbage mileage as the IS300. I didn't really appreciate how far cars have come economy wise until just now

if the car leans to the soft and comfortable side that's fine.

well optioned IS300s actually seem like candidates for appreciation soon, if they are manual

mrsingh
09-26-2019, 03:16 PM
I have had mine for over 5 years, paint is fading badly on the roof now and I want to repaint the whole car at this point. Mine is an '02 factory manual with LSD. It has been a fun car, and solid mechanically. Mine is mildly modified, but I am not a kid who beats on it, and only summer drive the car. Honestly, the people who I have met who found it boring to drive mainly were speaking about automatics, the manual transforms the car.

True about fuel economy though, it is horrid for a car with this horsepower.

That being said for the price it is a really fun car, every time I toy around with selling it, I quickly drop the idea.

revelations
09-26-2019, 06:39 PM
that's the most confusing part. 215hp and like 17 miles to the gallon in the city, on premium gas? the fuck? my truck weighs 200 pounds more, has a one liter larger motor, 10 more hp and 50lb-ft more torque, and gets 16 on regular. The same year E46 has a 2.5 liter I6 and gets the same garbage mileage as the IS300. I didn't really appreciate how far cars have come economy wise until just now

if the car leans to the soft and comfortable side that's fine.

well optioned IS300s actually seem like candidates for appreciation soon, if they are manual

Mileage has gone up but reliability has hit the toilet. Engines and cars (like this one) peaked around 99-2005 for simplicity and reliability. The G1 IS still look nice too IMO. The Lexus tail lights were a game changer back in the day.

eglove
10-01-2019, 09:45 AM
This one just showed up on the forums

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/411227-FS-2002-Lexus-IS300-Sportcross-(Wagon)-with-LSD

b_t
10-01-2019, 03:01 PM
lol that's the ad that sparked the whole idea, it's been on Kijiji for a bit.

I want to do it but GF vetoed the idea hard. She wants a new Rav4 hybrid... but it was supposed to be a new car for me?

revelations
10-01-2019, 03:14 PM
New car < 1G IS300

The amount of cash you will save is insane.

CelicaST-162
10-07-2019, 09:28 AM
I've always had a bit of a soft spot for these cars, sporty looking, gorgeous interior! Yes it is underpowered, but it helps with a manual transmission! I am also a product advisor at Stampede Toyota, so if you need any info about any vehicles let me know, would love to help! PM me if you like!

revelations
10-07-2019, 09:43 AM
I recall geeking out on the dash .... the 'chronograph' was the shit. Looks like LEDs have found a mod home here too.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/df/19/40/df19403473a001b5f1c96e7b7a9812d1.jpg

flipstah
10-07-2019, 09:48 AM
I recall geeking out on the dash .... the 'chronograph' was the shit. Looks like LEDs have found a mod home here too.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/df/19/40/df19403473a001b5f1c96e7b7a9812d1.jpg

That cluster aged well. Still looks good.

revelations
10-07-2019, 10:34 AM
That cluster aged well. Still looks good.

Simple yet elegant (sans the blue LED)

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/85/b3/7e/85b37e0fb50bc1f8f811acf9d965b96a.jpg

mrsingh
10-07-2019, 11:05 AM
That is still one of the favourite parts of my car. My only regret is I don't drive it enough, only 3-4k kms a year. Since they got cheap most have become clapped out kids cars which you kind of get grouped into, being in my late 30s now it is not usually the group I try to be associated with.

JRSC00LUDE
10-07-2019, 01:16 PM
b_t as a final homage to your old user title I submit the following:

It was a good run you nag!

Also, you should make mrsingh an offer it would seem.

mrsingh
10-08-2019, 10:12 AM

Haha, not selling it, just sharing the experience of owning one.

revelations
10-08-2019, 11:28 AM
That is still one of the favourite parts of my car. My only regret is I don't drive it enough, only 3-4k kms a year. Since they got cheap most have become clapped out kids cars which you kind of get grouped into, being in my late 30s now it is not usually the group I try to be associated with.

I have a 1998 Eclipse Spyder - I dont give a fuck about a cars perceived 'group association'.

I have the car because I like the look of it. If I had an G1 IS300, it would also be for the same reasons.

Never limit yourself because of the potential perception of others.

mrsingh
10-08-2019, 03:19 PM
I have a 1998 Eclipse Spyder - I dont give a fuck about a cars perceived 'group association'.

I have the car because I like the look of it. If I had an G1 IS300, it would also be for the same reasons.

Never limit yourself because of the potential perception of others.

I should have probably clarified this a little, I don’t really care what anyone thinks of my cars (I own a minivan and a grandpa Volvo as well, the IS is my summer car).

The comment was more about being grouped in that category and law enforcement attention that brings. These cars tend to be clapped out, mine is lowered and has aftermarket wheels.

I’ve been pulled over a few times for very minor things, and always when the cop sees I’m a mature driver and not really hooning around been let go.

Back to the original topic, if you find a clean manual car go for it. But make sure you have good winter tires if you daily it.

b_t
10-15-2019, 11:37 AM
I should have probably clarified this a little, I don’t really care what anyone thinks of my cars (I own a minivan and a grandpa Volvo as well, the IS is my summer car).

The comment was more about being grouped in that category and law enforcement attention that brings. These cars tend to be clapped out, mine is lowered and has aftermarket wheels.

I’ve been pulled over a few times for very minor things, and always when the cop sees I’m a mature driver and not really hooning around been let go.

Back to the original topic, if you find a clean manual car go for it. But make sure you have good winter tires if you daily it.

unfortunately it didn't win GF approval so it looks like I will have to do one more winter in my truck (FUCK) then get used to the idea of having a car payment again (FUUUUUUCK)

b_t as a final homage to your old user title I submit the following:

It was a good run you nag!

lmao I miss the way we were :rofl:

revelations
10-15-2019, 11:41 AM

I drive a lowered, aftermarket rimmed, window tinted (fronts are 40% though) and fart-canned Civic hatch (now my winter car).

For 10 years I've owned it, and I drive all over the city as a contractor - zero issues with the CPS (never been pulled over).

dezmarez
10-16-2019, 07:40 PM
I had one for about 5 years before getting the most recent generation IS350 AWD.

With winter tires, I never had issues in Calgary. I actually enjoyed RWD in the winter over AWD. Shame that it didn’t work out.

The instrument cluster is still the favourite aspect of any car I’ve ever had. If you can’t tell by my profile picture haha.