PDA

View Full Version : Uphill/Downhill Parking Winter Storage

Mostwanted
09-27-2019, 09:55 AM
Looks like I soon have to winterize the car and store it but unfortunately this year it will be parked outside. I dont plan on starting it at all and will be covered under a car cover on my driveway for the winter.
I know if its parked uphill to put it in 1st gear and then handle brake or facing downhill to put it on reverse gear and handbrake, also blocks as an added security from sliding.

Does anyone know if its ok to park a car for a long period of time at a slight incline? Should I be worried about the fluids/oils leaning to one side of the car/engine, especially when I first start it in Spring.
I dont plan on starting it at all during the winter and will be covered under a car cover on my driveway for the winter.

Ca_Silvia13
09-27-2019, 10:08 AM
Depends on the car. My old 73 Buick, i park it on a slight incline so the oil is not up against the rear main seal as it always leaks when not driven for long periods of time. Most new cars it really shouldn't matter.

Mitsu3000gt
09-27-2019, 10:12 AM
It's more of an issue with Automatics, because what people do is they put it in park before they put on the parking brake, and then they have all this weight sitting on the transmission for the whole time. Other than that you would just be putting higher than normal stress on the parking brake, and not all parking brakes are properly designed to hold cars on steep inclines for long periods. If it's a slight incline I suspect you're fine.

As long as the incline isn't making it so fluids can't lubricate your engine properly when you start it (potentially a problem in the winter without synthetic), again you're probably OK. I personally would never leave my car on a steep incline for storage or any extended period but a slight incline I don't think is going to hurt anything. Just my $0.02.

mr2mike
09-27-2019, 11:49 AM
Stretched ebrake cables and seized rear brakes will be your best outcome.

Define slight incline?
Is it an elevation gain of 100cm over the distance of 1 yard? or?

adidas
09-27-2019, 03:50 PM
Stretched ebrake cables and seized rear brakes will be your best outcome.

Define slight incline?
Is it an elevation gain of 100cm over the distance of 1 yard? or?

What country did you come from where using metric and imperial in the same sentence is acceptable?

The_Rural_Juror
09-27-2019, 06:02 PM
Canada probably. Like ordering a litre of coke to go with the quarter pounder.

ExtraSlow
09-27-2019, 06:05 PM
If I park my truck on a hill of greater than 0.07 radians I always try to face uphill so the truck bed drains. That's a veteran tip for winter, because the snow always melts a little, and you don't want an ice plug in there.

If your truck bed DOES get full of ice, you park on the top floor of the centennial parkade for a day and it'll all drain out because that top floor is like eighty five degrees (not radians) even on cold days. Handy if you have too much snow at your house and you shovel it all into your truck. Ask me how I know.

dirtsniffer
09-27-2019, 08:16 PM

Just order a large Farva

Thaco
09-27-2019, 08:22 PM
i'd personally leave a battery maintainer on it and then you can leave the battery hooked up and start it for 15 minutes at least once a month

benyl
09-27-2019, 08:35 PM
Sell the car. It simply will not survive the harsh calgary winter.

ExtraSlow
09-27-2019, 08:41 PM
i'd personally leave a battery maintainer on it and then you can leave the battery hooked up and start it for 15 minutes at least once a month

I will fight you if you think starting the engine every month is a good idea. I'll lose that fight, but well, sometimes that's how it has to happen.

Thaco
09-27-2019, 08:47 PM
I will fight you if you think starting the engine every month is a good idea. I'll lose that fight, but well, sometimes that's how it has to happen.

you lose... gotta keep them seals lubed.. ya know?

The_Rural_Juror
09-27-2019, 09:08 PM
you lose... gotta keep them seals lubed.. ya know?

It's great for your prostate too.

Buster
09-28-2019, 10:59 AM

You mean a Royale with cheese.

blueToy
09-28-2019, 12:00 PM
Sell your house. Buy a home with a near flat driveway or that has a larger garage then you have now. Problem solved.

schurchill39
09-28-2019, 09:32 PM
Just order a large Farva

I don't want a large Farva. I want a god damn liter of cola!

Mostwanted
09-30-2019, 08:42 AM
Thanks for all the replies. its not too steep so I should be ok I think.