PDA

View Full Version : PV or something similar for 4 days

The Cosworth
10-01-2019, 07:29 PM
I've been following that other thread about short warm get-aways but am curious if anyone has done PV (or something similar) for 4 days? Wife and I want to get away but can't do a normal full week of all inclusive due to the kids.

Anyone done something similar? We're not massive partiers but we need a break and some sand and ocean would be nice. Other ideas I had we're San Diego or LA but j feel like they'll cost more.

Maxx Mazda
10-02-2019, 06:01 AM
Just do Vegas. Mexico for a 2-3 day trip is too much time spent on airplanes, and you get sick of Vegas after 2 days anyways.

taemo
10-02-2019, 07:38 AM
We did PV earlier in April for 6 days with our then 11 months old toddler and enjoyed it.

It is a short flight (4-5 hours direct) compared to the east side, cheaper than US and something different since we've been to Vegas and California so many times now.

We stayed in the old town for the first 3 nights to visit the place and walk along the boardwalk then last 3 nights we stayed in Grand Palladium PV to relax. Sayulita is worth checking too.. lots of Canadians, LGBT and colorful beach town.
My parents joined us halfway the trip for 3 nights in Grand Palladium and found it relaxing since it is an all inclusive resort. It is not as big, not as many food selection as the GP in Cancun but we still were able to relax and unwind.

lasimmon
10-02-2019, 07:49 AM
I've done PV for 4 days a few times. Seemed totally fine to me travel wise.

sabad66
10-02-2019, 08:06 AM
PV flight isn't too bad. Cabo is a bit shorter flight if you're trying to minimize travel time.

Clever
10-02-2019, 12:42 PM
The wife and I went to Isla Mujeres last April for 4 days, it’s an island off Cancun about a 30 minute ferry ride we stayed at Mia Reef. Location was amazing with a private beach, but the food at the resort was blah, so if you’re picky about food then definitely no the place for you but it’s minutes away from town that if you wanted to you can just walk over and find somewhere to eat. The weather was in the high 20’s and the resort was not too busy when we were there. We’re planning to go back next year but to a different resort.

The Cosworth
10-04-2019, 09:28 AM
Just do Vegas. Mexico for a 2-3 day trip is too much time spent on airplanes, and you get sick of Vegas after 2 days anyways.

My wife said Vegas as well. I really like water / ocean though hence why I am a bit against it.

We did PV earlier in April for 6 days with our then 11 months old toddler and enjoyed it.

It is a short flight (4-5 hours direct) compared to the east side, cheaper than US and something different since we've been to Vegas and California so many times now.

We stayed in the old town for the first 3 nights to visit the place and walk along the boardwalk then last 3 nights we stayed in Grand Palladium PV to relax. Sayulita is worth checking too.. lots of Canadians, LGBT and colorful beach town.
My parents joined us halfway the trip for 3 nights in Grand Palladium and found it relaxing since it is an all inclusive resort. It is not as big, not as many food selection as the GP in Cancun but we still were able to relax and unwind.

Thanks for the tips! Yeah this will be our first big trip without our kids (is the idea anyways)

I've done PV for 4 days a few times. Seemed totally fine to me travel wise.

PV flight isn't too bad. Cabo is a bit shorter flight if you're trying to minimize travel time.

Thanks! I hadn't thought of Cabo but that's a good point too.

The wife and I went to Isla Mujeres last April for 4 days, it’s an island off Cancun about a 30 minute ferry ride we stayed at Mia Reef. Location was amazing with a private beach, but the food at the resort was blah, so if you’re picky about food then definitely no the place for you but it’s minutes away from town that if you wanted to you can just walk over and find somewhere to eat. The weather was in the high 20’s and the resort was not too busy when we were there. We’re planning to go back next year but to a different resort.

I'll check that out too! We've been to Cancun a few times and quite like the water. I wasn't sure what it was like for a shorter time. Interesting even with the Ferry it was fine for 4 days. Is that 4 days, then 2 for travel or was that including your travel?

ExtraSlow
10-04-2019, 10:16 AM
Can't really beat Mexico. For such a short trip, I'd personally place a priority on short distance to the airport. You don't want 2,3,5 hours on each side just to get to the hotel.
If you like the US, maybe do San Diego?

The Cosworth
10-09-2019, 03:44 PM
Well looking at it all I've tentatively decided San Diego / LA. Looking for recommendations. More interested in hanging out, food, wandering around, hitting a chill patio and having a beer somewhere.

ExtraSlow
10-09-2019, 03:55 PM
For San Diego, spend the money and get a hotel somewhere you want to be. I like La Jolla, Ocean Beach or Coronado. If you surf, Imperial Beach is cool. It's great if you can do your "wandering around" right where you are staying. I stayed in Golden Hill once, and the money I saved wasn't worth it.
Balboa Park is worth checking out, and I love the zoo. Not everyone is as chill as me though.

90_Shelby
10-09-2019, 04:37 PM
Well looking at it all I've tentatively decided San Diego / LA. Looking for recommendations. More interested in hanging out, food, wandering around, hitting a chill patio and having a beer somewhere.

Instead of maintaining your vacation inquiries in one simple thread, can you please start new threads for any, and all additional inquiries? :angel:

ExtraSlow
10-09-2019, 05:00 PM
Instead of maintaining your vacation inquiries in one simple thread, can you please start new threads for any, and all additional inquiries? :angel:
Ballers only for that.

Speaking of ballers, everyone should know my advice is strictly low class. The more I like it, usually the lower class it is.

BavarianBeast
10-09-2019, 05:15 PM
Cabo or bust.

Seriously

ercchry
10-09-2019, 06:21 PM
For LA... rent a motorcycle, cuts down traffic by an insane amount since you can lane split... plus canyons... mmm... canyons

Last 4 day thing I did down there was; day of canyons, fancy night out (nobu), Venice day with in n out stop, then down to La Jolla, dinner, surf the next day, food, and more food, then massage the next day and fly out and some big ass Dutch baby pancake things

The Cosworth
10-10-2019, 07:01 AM
Ballers only for that.

Speaking of ballers, everyone should know my advice is strictly low class. The more I like it, usually the lower class it is.

Why do you think I always ask you?!? Haha. I'd rather 5 low class trips than 1 baller trip.

Cabo or bust.

Seriously

We looked at it might be our February break trip.

I am sort of known for lots of random threads. I guess I do have a reputation to uphold.

For LA... rent a motorcycle, cuts down traffic by an insane amount since you can lane split... plus canyons... mmm... canyons

Last 4 day thing I did down there was; day of canyons, fancy night out (nobu), Venice day with in n out stop, then down to La Jolla, dinner, surf the next day, food, and more food, then massage the next day and fly out and some big ass Dutch baby pancake things

Decent idea actually. Wife might kybosh the bikes though since she is still in the 'OMG what if both of us die, who will take care of the kids' mentality. Any suggestions on hotels or AirBNB's? Feel free to text me. # is the same but no more whatsapp.

The Cosworth
10-10-2019, 09:25 AM
Sooo..... for reasons we actually can't leave Canada until 2020. :(

Anyone have Canadian suggestions? Really all I can think of is like Tofino / Victoria.

ExtraSlow
10-10-2019, 09:44 AM
Tofino is neat in the winter, but cool and rainy and stormy. You'd better like sitting inside by the fireplace and looking out the window.
Victoria is much drier.

The Cosworth
10-11-2019, 08:56 AM
Tofino is neat in the winter, but cool and rainy and stormy. You'd better like sitting inside by the fireplace and looking out the window.
Victoria is much drier.

Actually we found a cabin at just at the Pacific Rim Park with a hot tub and walking distance to Ucuelet. So going to try that out. Definitely not the 'warm' vacation I originally expected but seeing the storm surges will be cool I think.

ExtraSlow
10-11-2019, 09:06 AM
Actually we found a cabin at just at the Pacific Rim Park with a hot tub and walking distance to Ucuelet. So going to try that out. Definitely not the 'warm' vacation I originally expected but seeing the storm surges will be cool I think.

I really like Ucluelet. And I like their winter weather just fine. A hot tub makes it all work out great. I stayed right by big beach once, great spot. It's a good pace of life out there.

BavarianBeast
10-11-2019, 09:08 AM
I would highly recommend Sunshine Coast if you enjoy Tofino/Ucuelet area.

Same shit (minus the storms), much quieter, cheaper and easier to get to.

ExtraSlow
10-11-2019, 09:12 AM
I would highly recommend Sunshine Coast if you enjoy Tofino/Ucuelet area.

Same shit (minus the storms), much quieter, cheaper and easier to get to.

Good area too. Only easier to get to if you are driving from Cowtown. For a fly-and-drive it's close to the same.

90_Shelby
10-11-2019, 12:42 PM
Terrace Beach Resort in Ucluelet is worth checking out. Fun fact, it’s owned by Jason Priestley.

BavarianBeast
10-11-2019, 02:08 PM
Lots of liberty caps out there this time of year :angel:

Xtrema
10-18-2019, 01:06 PM

La Jolla area if you want to chill. I VRBO a guest house couple years ago that's 5min walk from the beach. Sunsets are amazing.

ExtraSlow
10-19-2019, 06:02 PM
Hey, anyone have experience with Cabo as a town to wander around? Considering doing an Airbnb there. Have done Cancun like that and really enjoyed it, but I think Cabo is a lot smaller?

ExtraSlow
10-20-2019, 02:45 PM
Hey, anyone have experience with Cabo as a town to wander around? Considering doing an Airbnb there. Have done Cancun like that and really enjoyed it, but I think Cabo is a lot smaller?
Answering my own question, but I spent some time doing google streetview for Cabo, and it sure looks several levels shittier than Cancun out wandering around the town. I don't mind a little reality, but it doesn't look relaxing for a buncha gringos.

BavarianBeast
10-20-2019, 07:20 PM
Cabo San Lucas is an amazing little town. Everything is surrounded in the marina but there are a ton of bars, restraints and clubs. Cabo San Jose is also only 15 minute away and has a ton of charm. Been partying and vacationing there since university and always have an incredible time.

dirtsniffer
10-20-2019, 09:56 PM
I'm heading to cabo in 3 weeks. Will report back

ExtraSlow
10-21-2019, 06:15 AM
Thanks guys, the more intel the better. Not looking to "party" but would like to know restaurant options at all ends of the spectrum of classiness.

BavarianBeast
10-21-2019, 08:23 AM
For Cabo San Lucas, El Farallon and Don Manuels are beside each other and have incredible food and views. On the less expensive side, Edith's and Misiones are very good. Lots of other options in the harbor.

Cabo San Jose has El Restaurante, El Matador, Agua and a bunch of others.

Cabo has the best food in mexico, hands down.