PDA

View Full Version : Hid Kit

imz
03-30-2004, 02:44 AM
Im lookin into buyin a hid kit for my 93 accord exr. I was looking at a catz kit but can no longer get those. The ones that i can get are Helios or Accumen 9006 (4300, 5300, or 6000k kit). Both i have never heard anything about. I search Helios and get this link: http://211.23.186.91/html/index.htm
not the best site!!! accumen even less comes up. So im wonderring if these kits are good, or if any body has them, i was told buy the sales guy that they are sellin the helios setup like crazy in calgary, im in edmonton so i duno. If anybody can help me out, get me more info, pics nethinfg i would be very greatful.

ZorroAMG
03-30-2004, 01:10 PM
Ummm..if acumen are 8000k then they will be more purple and less output than the 6000k helios kit. It is well known that the higher the k, the more purple they are and less lumen of output they produce.

nosegrindR
03-30-2004, 02:13 PM
sylvania FakeID's

yeah right:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

CivicDXR
03-30-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Ummm..if acumen are 8000k then they will be more purple and less output than the 6000k helios kit. It is well known that the higher the k, the more purple they are and less lumen of output they produce.

:werd: I'm with ZorroAMG on this one... the higher the temp, the more color it has, the less actual light output. The purple color tricks your eyes into thinking its brighter, when there are actually less lumens output then with the whiter kits (4300K)... same principal with the hyperwhite bulbs, you think they are brighter when in fact they are dimmer than stock bulbs, the color just tricks your eyes into thinking they are brighter...

BTW, I've got the Helios 6000K kit from SpeedTech (full 1 year warranty if installed by them), and its great, fairly decent cutoff, not blinding... I've never been highbeamed yet, and I've been stopped at 2 checkstops and neither officer has commented on my lights (compared to my old hyperwhite which I was told were not legal)... didn't need to adjust them or anything...

nosegrindR
03-30-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by CivicDXR

:werd: I'm with ZorroAMG on this one... the higher the temp, the more color it has, the less actual light output. The purple color tricks your eyes into thinking its brighter, when there are actually less lumens output then with the whiter kits (4300K)... same principal with the hyperwhite bulbs, you think they are brighter when in fact they are dimmer than stock bulbs, the color just tricks your eyes into thinking they are brighter...

BTW, I've got the Helios 6000K kit from SpeedTech (full 1 year warranty if installed by them), and its great, fairly decent cutoff, not blinding... I've never been highbeamed yet, and I've been stopped at 2 checkstops and neither officer has commented on my lights (compared to my old hyperwhite which I was told were not legal)... didn't need to adjust them or anything...

my buddy has the helios 6000k and he gets highbeamed all the time, but that's partly because they're in H4 housings, so they're bright as hell.

spoonEK9 is going from observations b.c. he's seen both beside each other, same H4 housings, and i can back him up here.

theoretically, the 8000k are supposed to have a higher temp. color, with lower K value than the 6000k, but it really depends on many factors. i.e. the make of the ballast and the quality of the bulb in this case.

The Acumen 8000K HID's are ridiculosly bright if you're comparing them to the helios HID kit, i saw both of them side to side.

CivicDXR
03-30-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by nosegrindR

my buddy has the helios 6000k and he gets highbeamed all the time, but that's partly because they're in H4 housings, so they're bright as hell.

spoonEK9 is going from observations b.c. he's seen both beside each other, same H4 housings, and i can back him up here.

theoretically, the 8000k are supposed to have a higher temp. color, with lower K value than the 6000k, but it really depends on many factors. i.e. the make of the ballast and the quality of the bulb in this case.

The Acumen 8000K HID's are ridiculosly bright if you're comparing them to the helios HID kit, i saw both of them side to side.

r your buddy's HID's in the square H4 conversion housings? I've seen the same Helios kit in the same type of housing (AE86) and its terrible... and your are right, there are many factors that can change this... I was just stating that in my car, the HID's are a perfect brightness, with a nice cutoff, and I've never been highbeamed....

and I'm still sticking to my previous statement that the color fools your eyes into thinking that the light is brighter... tests have shown that the 4300K will give a better light output than any of the higher temp HID's...

ZorroAMG
03-30-2004, 04:57 PM
How can helios HIDs NOT look like HIDs? you make absolutely no sense. I have the h4 HIDs in my car and they are fantastic and operate as well as factory, the only difference being a small amount of glare (that i am in the process of eliminating) and the lack of self leveling systems from the factory.

for the last time, nosegrindr, 8000K are LESS bright than 6000K. It is a scientific fact that the lower the light temp (past 4000K i believe) the brighter the light. The lumens have been measured, they just SEEM brighter. Side by side they will look brighter, but they aren't while driving.

Hakkola
03-30-2004, 05:00 PM
I have acumen 6000k xenon HIDs sitting right in front of my monitor right now.

They're rice??? :( .... :) I don't care, they're gonna look sweet! They're supposed to be pretty good.

cujo_cjc
03-30-2004, 05:10 PM
i heard xenondepot's kits are pretty good

www.xenondepot.com :thumbsup:

nosegrindR
03-30-2004, 05:59 PM

for the last time, nosegrindr, 8000K are LESS bright than 6000K. It is a scientific fact that the lower the light temp (past 4000K i believe) the brighter the light. The lumens have been measured, they just SEEM brighter. Side by side they will look brighter, but they aren't while driving.

isn't that what i said??
edit: if not that's what i meant.

spoonEK9's observations are true, fuckin chinese products are worse than products from mexico:rofl:

LancerShelby
03-30-2004, 06:43 PM
Buy some real mods that won't get you pulled over all the time.......for instance

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/5/web/329000-329999/329838_13_full.jpg

ZorroAMG
03-30-2004, 07:12 PM
I'd rather be pulled over, then drive that, lancer...LOL JK

xishnik19
09-30-2004, 01:00 PM
I know www.AutoAccessoryStore.com sells Helios. And you can bargain with them on the price.

Good luck

BumpinTalon
09-30-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by SpoonEK9
In the end, both are gay hid systems and should not be retrofit into a car that was not supposed to house them. Gay Rice.

Talons have shitty headlights (no light whatsoever) so if I was to actually be upgrading the brightness of my lights I would be ricey? So being blind is cool? Maybe if I could get some JDM HIDs ....

kenny
09-30-2004, 04:06 PM

what you also need to realize tho is that these rice-IDs use the color temperature numbers as a marketing ploy. Hence there are 10000k, 12000k and 15000k systems out there. People perceive the higher numbers as something better. The 8000K system by acumen is *NOT* producing light with a color temperature of 8000K and cannot be compared to the 6000K kit that helios produces. Basically, the color temperature numbers mean nothing when you compare manufacturer A vs manufacturer B.

So what im basically saying is, YES the "8000K" acumens MAY be brighter than the acumen "6000K".

Originally posted by LancerShelby
Buy some real mods that won't get you pulled over all the time.......for instance

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/5/web/329000-329999/329838_13_full.jpg

Well... you can't 100% guarentee you wont be pulled over when you do mods like that :devil: hahah

bspot
10-01-2004, 04:27 PM
Serously, spend the money/time and do a projector retrofit. And get Philips 4100k bulbs, the real thing, not some shit designed to make 14 year old girls check out your car.

All the 12398207924392 K bulbs do is put out light to imitate the lens flicker of projectors, so just put in projectors.

You can't get actual quality HID bulbs past 6000K. Anything above that is almost always painted glass to fake the colour, and garbage.

Damn ricers. :whipped:

B18C
10-02-2004, 12:21 PM
Go to speedtech. They have Helios for a very good price. I just got them for my car and so far so good.

Seanacumen
11-08-2004, 07:54 AM
I think you don't understand about HID Kit.
HID is using lower electricty on your car almost 3 times less then
regular bulb if you are using just bright bulb your battery will has a problem soon.
Also the color temperature was masured.

^^@@

Originally posted by CivicDXR

BTW, I've got the Helios 6000K kit from SpeedTech (full 1 year warranty if installed by them), and its great, fairly decent cutoff, not blinding... I've never been highbeamed yet, and I've been stopped at 2 checkstops and neither officer has commented on my lights (compared to my old hyperwhite which I was told were not legal)... didn't need to adjust them or anything... :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: [bimg][CODE]:dunno: :dunno:

alpha
11-20-2004, 12:52 PM
thats true that different systems have different colors. I compared my acumen 6000k kit to seaniths helios 6000k kit and mine are a white/blue tint, and his are more of a purple color. and I saw civicdxrs ones the other day and they are the same color as seans, it must be in the manufacturing. either way I like my HIDs but my cutoff is terrible so I am opting to do an oem projector retrofit. and using philips 4300K bulbs for the most usable light.

FiveFreshFish
11-20-2004, 03:18 PM
Here's a :repost: of my Euro projector HIDs. Top photo is 6000K and bottom is 4100K. In the comparison, the headlight housings and ballasts were not changed out; only the bulbs were.

The photos were taken with daylight film using the same exposure with a full manual camera (Nikon F2AS w. 50mm/F2.0).

The 4100K bulbs illuminate a lot better than the 6000K and are a lot easier on your eyes. You can see the difference especially on the bricks.

DuPont
11-20-2004, 05:06 PM
Just for a reference point, anyone know the factory color temp. of say, an I30, or G35?

FiveFreshFish
11-20-2004, 05:33 PM
^^^ I would guess 4100K to 4300K.

jtsimaras
11-20-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by imz
Im lookin into buyin a hid kit for my 93 accord exr. I was looking at a catz kit but can no longer get those. The ones that i can get are Helios or Accumen 9006 (4300, 5300, or 6000k kit). Both i have never heard anything about. I search Helios and get this link: http://211.23.186.91/html/index.htm
not the best site!!! accumen even less comes up. So im wonderring if these kits are good, or if any body has them, i was told buy the sales guy that they are sellin the helios setup like crazy in calgary, im in edmonton so i duno. If anybody can help me out, get me more info, pics nethinfg i would be very greatful.

Get A Set from XENONDEPOT.com

BETTER QUALITY

cujo_cjc
11-21-2004, 02:13 AM
^^^
i can vouch for xenondepot
not a single problem yet..and the install was quite easy :thumbsup:

jtsimaras
11-21-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by cujo_cjc
^^^
i can vouch for xenondepot
not a single problem yet..and the install was quite easy :thumbsup:

What bulb are you using---come on post some bad light up the road pics.

I have a set of H4 on order---should be here this week---going on a 2003-SIR--can't wait.

cujo_cjc
11-26-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by jtsimaras

What bulb are you using---come on post some bad light up the road pics.

I have a set of H4 on order---should be here this week---going on a 2003-SIR--can't wait.

sorry for taking so long but here are a couple pics

http://www3.telus.net/gkchow/Chris/HID.jpg http://www3.telus.net/gkchow/Chris/HID2.jpg http://www3.telus.net/gkchow/Chris/HID3.jpg http://www3.telus.net/gkchow/Chris/HID4.jpg

the first 2 are just to show up how it lights up the driveway and the cutoff from further back
and then the last 2 are closeups of the cutoff

btw..i have a 97 teg and its the 4300k kit :)

jtsimaras
11-26-2004, 07:36 AM

sorry for taking so long but here are a couple pics

http://www3.telus.net/gkchow/Chris/HID.jpg http://www3.telus.net/gkchow/Chris/HID2.jpg http://www3.telus.net/gkchow/Chris/HID3.jpg http://www3.telus.net/gkchow/Chris/HID4.jpg

the first 2 are just to show up how it lights up the driveway and the cutoff from further back
and then the last 2 are closeups of the cutoff

btw..i have a 97 teg and its the 4300k kit :)

nice pics bud---thanx looks pretty pimp/sweet.

ZorroAMG
11-26-2004, 10:01 AM
If yours is the same as any G3 teg with factory headlights, HID's in that car are BRUTAL for oncoming traffic....

jtsimaras
11-26-2004, 03:18 PM
If yours is the same as any G3 teg with factory headlights, HID's in that car are BRUTAL for oncoming traffic....

Will I'm putting mine on a 2003 SIR--
can't wait---they are actually in Calgary---just gotta wait for delivery.

ZorroAMG
11-26-2004, 05:22 PM
Ah, another glare-mobile....great...:rofl:

Chester
11-26-2004, 06:32 PM
HID's in stock projectors in a G3 teg actually arent bad at all. Looks like hes using his stock projectors and his cutoff is clean.

Will I'm putting mine on a 2003 SIR--
can't wait---they are actually in Calgary---just gotta wait for delivery.

Thats glare city if your putting HID's in a reflector housing. Light goes everywhere but the road.

FiveFreshFish
11-26-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Chester

HID's in stock projectors in a G3 teg actually arent bad at all. Looks like hes using his stock projectors and his cutoff is clean.

Glare can result even though the cutoff is sharp. You can see there is glare (illumination) ABOVE the cutoff in those Integra photos.

Compare the above photos to the minimal amount of glare above the cutoffs of the two cars below. The left is e-code and the right is N/A spec. Both are HID projectors.

Chester
11-26-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Glare can result even though the cutoff is sharp. You can see there is glare (illumination) ABOVE the cutoff in those Integra photos.

Compare the above photos to the minimal amount of glare above the cutoffs of the two cars below. The left is e-code and the right is N/A spec. Both are HID projectors.

Yah, I saw that glare, I was just saying for halogen projectors that is a pretty good cutoff, of course its nothing compared to hid projectors.

CelicaST-162
11-26-2004, 07:34 PM
I have a question....Which H4 housings that have a good pattern that would spread the light out sideways as well as throwing it far far ahead without blinding people? I have the Bosch housings? Are those good with HID's? Are even any H4 housings good w/o blinding people???

FiveFreshFish
11-26-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162
I have a question....Which H4 housings that have a good pattern that would spread the light out sideways as well as throwing it far far ahead without blinding people? I have the Bosch housings? Are those good with HID's? Are even any H4 housings good w/o blinding people???

I assume you're referring to this type of headlamp housing?

http://store1.yimg.com/I/classicgarage_1821_36313665

There aren't any that work properly with HID. However, Sylvania sold the Xenarc HID X6054 kit that provided good lighting and a lot less glare than a simple bulb retrofit. Unfortunately, they have been discontinued but you might be able to find a vendor with old stock.

http://suvlights.tripod.com/suvlightscom/html/Sylvania-Xenarc-sealedbeam.htm

http://suvlights.tripod.com/suvlightscom/images/X6054hid.jpg

jtsimaras
11-26-2004, 07:57 PM
Ah, another glare-mobile....great...:rofl:

Me don't care--and they actually come with a glare shield.

cujo_cjc
11-27-2004, 12:50 AM

i had my friend drive the car towards me and the glare didnt seem that bad
i was thinking of a way to maybe reduce it a bit
for the projectors on my car there is like a chrome type bezel around them
i was thinking of taking the headlights apart and painting those bezels black
would that reduce it a bit?

Chester
11-27-2004, 12:56 AM
It should actually help reduce the glare you see in those pics. But will it look nice?

cujo_cjc
11-27-2004, 01:00 AM
Im not quit sure...cuz my car is silver
so having those black bezels around the projector may make it look weird :dunno:

jtsimaras
11-27-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by LancerShelby

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ZorroAMG
11-27-2004, 12:33 PM
Well i had a slammed super low integra following me during the DAY 3 days ago and it was fucking GAY how glaring and bright they were....last night another teg pissed off like 3 cars high beaming him like crazy...I don't high beam cause I have HID retrofit in my car so I feel for the guy, but COME ON, learn to aim your goddamn headlights kids. Throwing HID's in North American spec Halogen= stupid rice if you don't aim them low enough.

jtsimaras
11-27-2004, 12:36 PM
Well i had a slammed super low integra following me during the DAY 3 days ago and it was fucking GAY how glaring and bright they were....last night another teg pissed off like 3 cars high beaming him like crazy...I don't high beam cause I have HID retrofit in my car so I feel for the guy, but COME ON, learn to aim your goddamn headlights kids. Throwing HID's in North American spec Halogen= stupid rice if you don't aim them low enough.

boy u sure don't like glare---

jtsimaras
11-30-2004, 08:48 AM
My new Xenondepot 4300k installed

jtsimaras
11-30-2004, 08:48 AM
Another pic Love these Mofu things---There is pimp factor as well as lighting. Oh ya I bet ya it gives me at least 45hp---:rofl: :rofl:

jtsimaras
11-30-2004, 06:56 PM
another pic

NickGT
11-30-2004, 07:09 PM

I share your rage. The glare bugs the fuck outta me. :thumbsdow

cujo_cjc
11-30-2004, 09:36 PM
looks good
just wait till they break in..around a 100hr i believe is what steve from xenondepot told me
they shift from like 4300k-->4700k (slightly blue tinge) :)

jtsimaras
11-30-2004, 10:04 PM
looks good
just wait till they break in..around a 100hr i believe is what steve from xenondepot told me
they shift from like 4300k-->4700k (slightly blue tinge) :)

Are you serious--that is awesome--I kinda wish they were a bit bluer--but the output compares to stock is amazing.
Do you have the same kit?---If so how do you like it? Any problems yet.

jtsimaras
11-30-2004, 11:21 PM
Does anybody know if HIDS are hotter than halogens?

FiveFreshFish
11-30-2004, 11:52 PM
No, HIDs run cooler than halogens. More energy goes to light, and less goes to heat.

Chester
12-01-2004, 12:05 AM
Hey jtsimaras take a pic of your lights against a wall or your garage door.

cujo_cjc
12-01-2004, 12:37 AM

Are you serious--that is awesome--I kinda wish they were a bit bluer--but the output compares to stock is amazing.
Do you have the same kit?---If so how do you like it? Any problems yet.

same kit as you i believe
the uh 4300k phillips kit from xenondepot

i really like the start up color at the beginning, it sorta looks yellow once they finally warm up tho :S
ive only had mine since july..no problems yet
cant wait for the color shift :)

jtsimaras
12-01-2004, 07:29 AM

same kit as you i believe
the uh 4300k phillips kit from xenondepot

i really like the start up color at the beginning, it sorta looks yellow once they finally warm up tho :S
ive only had mine since july..no problems yet
cant wait for the color shift :)

Ya I really like the color when they start up---so lastnight I was trying to capture in my head the lightout comparison---from the blue--to warmed up---the wrmed up stage is much brighter---it'as wierd---because the blue fooled me in thinking it was brighter.

I have to put the car away for winter oh well-----

I well take a a pic against a garage door tonight and post it.

Chester
12-01-2004, 06:59 PM
Sounds good.

h22aseller
12-03-2004, 01:04 AM
ok, I have the Helios 6000k kit in my accord. I have met my car at night outside the city in my girlfriend's crx. though the lights are bright, they aren't so bad when you aim them low enough, and they still put out killer light. way more than factory, which is nice because I live outside the city. For people who live in the city, i seriously do not know why you would spend the 500 plus dollars on a kit when you drive around with street lamps all the time, doesn't make sense to me.

and about the HID in non-projector housings, there are a few cars on the market that house HID bulbs in standard refletor housings. for example the mini's (even though i don't like them) and some of last year's tl's. Just aim your lights lower because to don't need them to be aimed as far as the factory ones needed to be, due to the fact that they are brighter. (you don't need to have high-beam range with your lows kids, you need to have better vision in the standard low range)

oh, and glare i find is worse from pickups because their lights are eye-level and aimed exactly the same way that car lights are (they drop something like a foot per every 25 feet distance)

bspot
12-03-2004, 11:11 AM
^ Cars that come with HID reflector housings have housings made specifically for this purpose. The aim of HID's should be at the identical level you would use with halogens, light should go straight out from your car and cut off at the same height as the top of your headlights.

HID's in most halogen housings suck because they throw a ton of glare of and blind people, so yes you can compensate a bit by aiming them down, but then you are taking away the whole point of having HID's because you can only see 10 feet infront of you.

The moral of the story.. do a projector retrofit. And don't buy 6000k kits, they are rice. The blue colour comes from the projectors, and the proper colour to use is 4100K - 4300K.

h22aseller
12-03-2004, 06:01 PM
^ to a point yes i do agree with you on the fact that they give of a little more glare than they should. Personally i love them because i am constantly drving down completely dark roads outside the city, and even aimed a little lower i can still see further than i could with my factory lights. Furthermore, the whiter color of the HIDs allows me to see eyeballs (from animals about to step out in front of me) way sooner and way better than i used to be able to, (about 100ft sooner) because the light reflects a lot better.

and about the housings being different for the factory reflector/HID combinations, i do not see why they are different. light is light, it reflects the same way, no matter what color or intensity it is. the only thing that you would notice a difference in is if the light producing part of the bulb was relocated into a different spot, therefore screwing up the focal point of the reflector housing. all headlight housings are desiged to get as much light as possible into the same place, no matter what type of bulb is in it, as the design of the shape of the housing allows. I made minor modifications to my housings to ensure that the arcpoint is exactly where the fillament of my old bulbs should have been, that is the reason that I do not give off the ridiculous glare that some other people do.

and yes, the projectors do add to the blueish look of the headlights because of the way that the light refracts as it passes through the lense. the blue bends outwards more than the other colors. The only reason i went with 6000k is because that was what i could get at the time. 5200 would have been nicer.

about the only seeing 10ft ahead of you when your lights are aimed down too much, yes that is to the point of ludicracy, but i only turned mine down about a half degree or so in order to see better in the ditches. this didn't have an adverse effect on overall distance compared to my old lights aimed at their factory setting. (but yes, it is shorter than they were with the hids at factory setting). Projectors are almost as bad though, they are aimed precisely a certain distance out and then that is it, no more. I hate my projectors in my RX330 because of it, in order to see anything beyond the range of the projectors, (45ft, i measured on flat ground) i need to put on my highs. not cool. i like my retrofits in my accord better than i like the factory projectors in my lexus.

bspot
12-03-2004, 06:11 PM
^ wow you know your shit :D

As for HID reflector housings, you hit the nail on the head with focal point. Often rebased HID bulbs account for this for you. Usually HID reflector housings have special sheilds though, which the halogen ones lack. I've seen people make some themselves that actually worked really well.

All housings aren't equal though, and some cars do throw alot more glare than others. Lots of manufacturers focus on making the housing "look cool" instead of throwing the best light, and glare standards on halogen headlights are pretty lax compared to HID housings because the ammount of light you are throwing up is alot less with the halogens.

That said, some cars do great with retrofits, some give a shitty result. There are lots of places to see how it worked out for people, I still stand by projector retrofits because you get the maximum ammount of light aimed at where you are going, less blinding to other drivers, and the :bigpimp: factor of the lens flicker.

EDIT: I've seen 5200k kits and they are pretty damn close to being as bright as 4100k's, but more expensive. They deffinately don't look cheezeball blue/purple either.

Chester
12-03-2004, 07:08 PM
jtsimaras you take that pic yet?

jtsimaras
12-03-2004, 07:15 PM

oops sorry ----I will tonite

jtsimaras
12-03-2004, 10:58 PM

Here is a pic---hmm a little bit of glare---that's why the next pic shows my car in pieces plan to make custome glare shield---and of course realign them again----looks like they are a bit off.

jtsimaras
12-03-2004, 11:00 PM
Car in pieces

FiveFreshFish
12-04-2004, 07:02 AM
Factory reflector-based HID headlights use D2R bulbs that have a mask directly on the bulb.
http://plasmagarage.com/images/D2R_8000K.jpg

Factory projector-based HID headlights use D2S bulbs that have no mask. Most aftermarket HID kits use a rebased D2S bulb with no consideration of the type of housing, resulting in excessive glare with many reflector-based applications.
http://plasmagarage.com/images/D2S8000K.jpg

Hakkola
12-04-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by h22aseller
way sooner and way better than i used to be able to, (about 100ft sooner) because the light reflects a lot better....

...i do not see why they are different. light is light, it reflects the same way...

Taken from the same post. Can you elaborate?

jtsimaras
12-04-2004, 08:07 PM

Here is a pic---hmm a little bit of glare---that's why the next pic shows my car in pieces plan to make custome glare shield---and of course realign them again----looks like they are a bit off.

Anyway I polished the black paint off the glare shield and now the light is more yellow however, the amount of glare has being reduced significantly===only bad part is I don't really care for the yellower color---back to the drawing board. I think I might just eventually do a retro.

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

jtsimaras
12-04-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Factory reflector-based HID headlights use D2R bulbs that have a mask directly on the bulb.

These are not that good tend to last only half as long as the D2S problem with the heat distribution.
http://plasmagarage.com/images/D2R_8000K.jpg

Factory projector-based HID headlights use D2S bulbs that have no mask. Most aftermarket HID kits use a rebased D2S bulb with no consideration of the type of housing, resulting in excessive glare with many reflector-based applications.
http://plasmagarage.com/images/D2S8000K.jpg

jtsimaras
12-04-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by h22aseller
^ to a point yes i do agree with you on the fact that they give of a little more glare than they should. Personally i love them because i am constantly drving down completely dark roads outside the city, and even aimed a little lower i can still see further than i could with my factory lights. Furthermore, the whiter color of the HIDs allows me to see eyeballs (from animals about to step out in front of me) way sooner and way better than i used to be able to, (about 100ft sooner) because the light reflects a lot better.

and about the housings being different for the factory reflector/HID combinations, i do not see why they are different. light is light, it reflects the same way, no matter what color or intensity it is. the only thing that you would notice a difference in is if the light producing part of the bulb was relocated into a different spot, therefore screwing up the focal point of the reflector housing. all headlight housings are desiged to get as much light as possible into the same place, no matter what type of bulb is in it, as the design of the shape of the housing allows. I made minor modifications to my housings to ensure that the arcpoint is exactly where the fillament of my old bulbs should have been, that is the reason that I do not give off the ridiculous glare that some other people do.

and yes, the projectors do add to the blueish look of the headlights because of the way that the light refracts as it passes through the lense. the blue bends outwards more than the other colors. The only reason i went with 6000k is because that was what i could get at the time. 5200 would have been nicer.

about the only seeing 10ft ahead of you when your lights are aimed down too much, yes that is to the point of ludicracy, but i only turned mine down about a half degree or so in order to see better in the ditches. this didn't have an adverse effect on overall distance compared to my old lights aimed at their factory setting. (but yes, it is shorter than they were with the hids at factory setting). Projectors are almost as bad though, they are aimed precisely a certain distance out and then that is it, no more. I hate my projectors in my RX330 because of it, in order to see anything beyond the range of the projectors, (45ft, i measured on flat ground) i need to put on my highs. not cool. i like my retrofits in my accord better than i like the factory projectors in my lexus.

Do you have an aftermarket kit? What brand? What bulb type is it? Did it come with a a glareshield?

h22aseller
12-05-2004, 11:29 PM
they are basically the helios kit, but like i said before, i made some minor mods to my headlight housings. Specifically the part where the bulb base mounts to the housing to ensure that the arc point is in the same place that the filament used to be. no glare shield and only 1/2 degree or less aimed down. never been flashed before. here's a pic of my light pattern. as soon as i find a better wall and better camera (so i don't have to put my finger over the flash again) i'll try to get a more effective picture.

as for the bit that covers up the bulb directly, as i think you were saying, the accord already has this little feature. From what i can tell the accord light pattern is about as good as it gets with a HID retrofit into factory housings. (this is the 6th generation i might add). But in order for any retrofits to work you need to know what you are doing.

jtsimaras
12-17-2004, 11:07 PM
WILL AS SOME MAY KNOW i'm already trying to sell my Xenondepot kit---too bad only used it for 1-2 hours.

Anyway I got my hands on a E-46 kit from a M3
And one Valeo Bixenon projector.
Here are a few pics of the nice cut off they produce.
first one is the E-46

jtsimaras
12-17-2004, 11:09 PM
The cut off of the valoe is probably the best out there

jtsimaras
12-26-2004, 02:21 PM
Does anybody want to purchase PHILLIPS 4300K HIDs set

brand new used 1 hour let me know.

teknical
12-28-2004, 06:10 PM
damn, to bad 240's can't have hids, I love the color of the higher K ones.

wildsi
01-08-2005, 02:25 PM
Does theres retrofiting kits thats can be bought somewhere?
I know scrapyards, but they are used.

by retrofiting, I'm mean like valeo bi-xenon projector, and oemish bulbs ballast

thanks

jtsimaras
01-08-2005, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by wildsi
Does theres retrofiting kits thats can be bought somewhere?
I know scrapyards, but they are used.

by retrofiting, I'm mean like valeo bi-xenon projector, and oemish bulbs ballast

thanks

Ya for a Small fortune just buy a used set from EBAY

I bought A complete BMW M3 set for 320 us which is probably worth 1200 $ brand new and yep it all works

wildsi
01-09-2005, 09:05 AM
so, basicly the no store that will sell de retrofit new at a decent prices?

jtsimaras
01-09-2005, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by wildsi
so, basicly the no store that will sell de retrofit new at a decent prices?

nope maybe the Dealers---cost ya an arm and a leg.

The used Kit I bought is actually out of a 2004 BMW M3. It is awesome the retro is under way---lots of work---will be worth it though.

in*10*se
01-10-2005, 12:54 AM
^^ pimp turbo... :thumbsup:

still wouldn't drive a lancer though....:dunno: :rolleyes:

Dren
04-04-2006, 02:34 PM
Where would people recommend to get the kit to switch over to HID's Car uses H1 Bulbs. and around wt price range would i be looking at

thanks