PDA

View Full Version : The Modern Car Prowler

SJW
10-05-2019, 07:58 AM
So they no longer use their bikes or walk. I present the modern car prowler

Is this a Honda minivan? Is it green or blue? Pardon the garbage bag. I have a leaking pipe mold issue in the basement I was dealing with last night.

https://youtu.be/xjcpkZ2-mNM

killramos
10-05-2019, 08:05 AM
People are pathetic

ExtraSlow
10-05-2019, 08:06 AM
Door-checkers are everywhere now. And enough people leave thier doors open either accidentally or routinely that it pays off.

SJW
10-05-2019, 08:36 AM
Door-checkers are everywhere now. And enough people leave thier doors open either accidentally or routinely that it pays off.

I get it. Trust me. That why I had this cam installed with the flood light. At least I can better prepare myself. I’ve had a few this summer but nothing this impressive.

speedog
10-05-2019, 10:15 AM

My wife had her SUV get hit at Deerfoot City while she was less than 100 feet, they only took change because that's all there was to take but it had been inadvertently unlocked by someone else who was working at the farmers' market with her. The one time one of our vehicles is left unlocked and it gets hit by door checkers - they are everywhere.

ThePenIsMightier
10-05-2019, 10:39 AM
Stop & go in that shit box minivan will cost more in fuel than the sunglasses and pocket change Skinny Pete eventually scores.

Unless already stolen minivan...

I hope someone catches him and he has "an awful fall" while running away.

Tik-Tok
10-05-2019, 01:11 PM
And enough people leave thier doors open either accidentally or routinely that it pays off.

I honestly don't understand why so many people do this. It's so easy to hit lock on your keyfob while walking away. Or if you have a super annoying domestic vehicle that honks the horn when you lock it, then just hit the physical button on the door as you get out.

People are dumb.

ExtraSlow
10-05-2019, 03:07 PM
I honestly don't understand why so many people do this. It's so easy to hit lock on your keyfob while walking away. Or if you have a super annoying domestic vehicle that honks the horn when you lock it, then just hit the physical button on the door as you get out.

People are dumb.

My family leaves something open once or twice a year, and we get prowled that often.

JfuckinC
10-05-2019, 03:09 PM

People are dumb.

You can turn the honk off on lots. I always lock mine before going to bed, every night last thing I do haha

rx7boi
10-05-2019, 05:41 PM
I had accidentally left my car unlocked this past weekend. Garage door opener was stolen so I had to get a replacement remote and delete/reprogram the openers.

If lights shining on the car won't stop them, nothing will.

Tik-Tok
10-05-2019, 05:51 PM
I had accidentally left my car unlocked this past weekend. Garage door opener was stolen so I had to get a replacement remote and delete/reprogram the openers.

If lights shining on the car won't stop them, nothing will.

Because they know that no one is going to be awake to notice the lights on.

ExtraSlow
10-05-2019, 05:57 PM
At 12:41 in the morning they know the lights don't mean anything. You may as well put up a sign saying "please don't check my door handles."

370Z
10-06-2019, 02:19 PM
Don't mean to be rude but what is your hope in spending your hard earned money on setting up a camera??

I prefer to just keep my doors locked and removing all valuables...I even remove my dashcam. Like it or not, this happens Every. Single. Night.

And if they every caught, it's petty theft... theft under $5,000 it used to be called. Nothing happens. I grew to in Vancouver where auto theft was big, the thieves literally steal cars from the courthouse parking lot to get home.

Just don't leave any valuables in your car and/or lock it and get over it, your door will be touched sometimes multiple times a night depending on the area.

killramos
10-06-2019, 03:56 PM
See I think we have identified the problem, lack of consequences.

I vote that we bring in the noose for car prowlers.

Tik-Tok
10-06-2019, 03:58 PM
Nah. Just cut off their hands like other countries

killramos
10-06-2019, 04:04 PM
Nah. Just cut off their hands like other countries

Sounds like we would be stuck with a disability cheque for life in that case.

Nope, noose is the way to go

370Z
10-06-2019, 04:09 PM
See I think we have identified the problem, lack of consequences.

I vote that we bring in the noose for car prowlers.

True.

My wife nagged me to get security for this. I told her the exact same thing. Wtf for? First of all why the hell an I spending hundreds of dollars to help police do their job... then on top of that even if they do catch them, nothing happens to them. This is pretty theft nothing more. Waste of time. Just accept it that your car doors will be touched multiple times a week and keep it locked and live on with your life.

Tik-Tok
10-06-2019, 04:15 PM
Sounds like we would be stuck with a disability cheque for life in that case.

Nope, noose is the way to go

OK, one hand, and no disability cheques.

dirtsniffer
10-06-2019, 05:03 PM
Maybe park in your garage?

ExtraSlow
10-06-2019, 05:52 PM

Don't be crazy

lilmira
10-06-2019, 06:28 PM
Yeah victim shaming is so uncool. We need to empower car owners who leave their cars outside unlocked at night.

Thaco
10-06-2019, 06:41 PM

People are dumb.

i am very anal about locking my vehicles, typically the only reason my stuff gets left unlocked is because my hands were full and i had intended to go back to lock it and just got distracted. (I'm in a condo, i cant lock from my house, too far away)

Disoblige
10-06-2019, 06:45 PM
OK, one hand, and no disability cheques.
How about just the middle finger.
It will be the international sign that you are a pathetic thief. AND, you can't flip someone off anymore.
It'll just look like you're trying to rock on.

Tik-Tok
10-06-2019, 06:52 PM
It will be the international sign that you are a pathetic thief. AND, you can't flip someone off anymore.

A finger for every time they're caught

370Z
10-06-2019, 08:45 PM
Just be glad thieves in Calgary don't typically break windows to get in.... in those cases it's actually better to leave the car unlocked so as not have to deal with a broken window.

SJW
10-07-2019, 08:04 AM

I have a boat in there. My wifes car is usually in the garage. Boat > Truck.

Lex350
10-07-2019, 08:53 AM
Forget the mini-van, a couple of days ago (Oct 4th) a guy was caught breaking into cars/houses in Royal Oak but he was using a U-haul to transport the goods.

Maxx Mazda
10-07-2019, 09:23 AM

Wasn't that already done on Beyond back in the day? (See: "The CLAW" thread)

freshprince1
10-07-2019, 09:31 AM
My place in Okotoks got hit twice last year, my video of me catching the guy in the act got close to 1M views. Got a clear shot of his face and still nothing ever happened. I went with a security system & camera's for the piece of mind, and I travel a lot. But the camera actually came through for me a few weeks ago when a neighbor clipped our brand new basketball hoop with his trailer. I thought the garbage man hit it!

(also...remember when we were all young and poor and spending all our money on our Integra's and Imprezza's? Now we live in big houses in Royal Oak and other places. Crazy.)

pf0sh0
10-07-2019, 09:34 AM
This happens in our parkade often. It's pretty annoying how they are getting in too.. These idiots just go through the list and buzz peoples codes until someone lets them in - which even bigger idiots in our building would allow them access at 3-4am..

The last time this happened in our parkade, it turns out it was the same girl who hit our parkade the previous time, and she had just got out of jail for getting caught the first time! And there are cameras in our parkade! people are stupid.

G-ZUS
10-08-2019, 08:52 AM
Just be glad thieves in Calgary don't typically break windows to get in.... in those cases it's actually better to leave the car unlocked so as not have to deal with a broken window.

A few weeks ago, some thieves broke my wife's window using a window punch. Came back 15 minutes to get into the car, somehow triggered my motion sensor light and got spooked off. All caught on surveillance camera, I found out who the guys are and where they live. Investigating officer couldn't care less to get back to me or do anything about it.

Maxx Mazda
10-08-2019, 02:17 PM
A few weeks ago, some thieves broke my wife's window using a window punch. Came back 15 minutes to get into the car, somehow triggered my motion sensor light and got spooked off. All caught on surveillance camera, I found out who the guys are and where they live. Investigating officer couldn't care less to get back to me or do anything about it.

Time to take matters into your own hands. If you’re positive who it is, and I mean POSITIVE, go smash their shit.

ExtraSlow
10-08-2019, 02:55 PM
Time to take matters into your own hands. If you’re positive who it is, and I mean POSITIVE, go smash their shit.

I hope by "shit" you mean jaw and legs.

Mitsu3000gt
10-08-2019, 02:56 PM

The 2 times in my life I have had open & shut, served up on a platter evidence for CPS, they could not have possibly cared less. Break-ins like the one you experienced aren't even on their radar, even if literally all they have to do is show up and arrest the guy since you have names/addresses, etc. No wonder these guys are so brazen about it, not wearing disguises, not caring about doorbell cams, rolling up in their own damn vehicle, etc. There is virtually no consequence.

SKR
10-08-2019, 04:50 PM
Time to take matters into your own hands. If you’re somewhat positive who it is, and I mean EVEN JUST A LITTLE BIT POSITIVE, go smash their wife.

I like this move better.

370Z
10-08-2019, 07:57 PM
Unfortunately we live in a country where you will be the one getting punished for that.... let cooler heads prevail guys.

blueToy
10-08-2019, 08:32 PM
Unfortunately we live in a country where you will be the one getting punished for that.... let cooler heads prevail guys.

You only get in trouble if you phone the Cops. Remember Ralph's quote. Shoot, shovel and shud'up :clap:

The_Rural_Juror
10-08-2019, 10:31 PM

You sound like the type who doesn't use their dishwasher to store clean dishes.

JRSC00LUDE
10-09-2019, 12:21 PM
The 2 times in my life I have had open & shut, served up on a platter evidence for CPS, they could not have possibly cared less. Break-ins like the one you experienced aren't even on their radar, even if literally all they have to do is show up and arrest the guy since you have names/addresses, etc. No wonder these guys are so brazen about it, not wearing disguises, not caring about doorbell cams, rolling up in their own damn vehicle, etc. There is virtually no consequence.

There is no revenue, and a huge cost incurred to the "system" with absolutely zero real consequences to the offender, in fighting petty crime.

Mitsu3000gt
10-09-2019, 01:43 PM
There is no revenue, and a huge cost incurred to the "system" with absolutely zero real consequences to the offender, in fighting petty crime.

That's a good summary. It's pretty sad.

SJW
10-10-2019, 08:13 AM
That's a good summary. It's pretty sad.

Is it petty crime to break the knees of a driveway thief?

SJW
01-20-2020, 09:46 AM
I'm just going to keep this thread alive.

Seems to be happening weekly now. I'm designing a doppler motion sensor circuit that will light up red n blue lights upon motion by my door handle. Will post some sweet vids when they come.
Last night some Douche broke into my neighbors car.

- - - Updated - - -

Buster
01-20-2020, 09:49 AM
I wonder how many break ins would be avoided if people used their garages for cars instead of storage.

killramos
01-20-2020, 09:52 AM
I wonder how many break ins would be avoided if people used their garages for cars instead of storage.

You would cry if you saw my garage haha.

lasimmon
01-20-2020, 09:54 AM

I'm the only person on my street who doesn't park a vehicle on the street/driveway. I honestly can't believe it.

Someone came around a while ago to warn us that someone was checking if cars were locked. I mentioned they should just park in their garage. They weren't happy.

SJW
01-20-2020, 09:54 AM

My boat sits in there. If I get storage for that then it'd would be pillaged.

JustinL
01-20-2020, 10:11 AM

"storage" lol. Seems usually it's just disorganized junk. I always hope that when someone parks a cool car on their driveway it's because there's something even more cool in the garage. Disappointment, every time.

dj_rice
01-20-2020, 10:14 AM

2 of my neighbors converted their garage into, 1 was like man-cave bar kinda deal. 2nd one converted it into a make-shift living room. These are front attached garages.

ExtraSlow
01-20-2020, 10:16 AM
2 of my neighbors converted their garage into, 1 was like man-cave bar kinda deal. 2nd one converted it into a make-shift living room.

I'm down with that idea. An attached garage that is a hangout is sweet.

Buster
01-20-2020, 10:18 AM
2 of my neighbors converted their garage into, 1 was like man-cave bar kinda deal. 2nd one converted it into a make-shift living room.

I would point and laugh. But that's just me.

Tik-Tok
01-20-2020, 10:20 AM

Only if you have a detached garage as well to actually park in. Boggles my mind that people don't park in garages with the winters we get. Nevermind the cold, just having to brush the snow off my car first thing in the morning is enough of a reason to use a car-hole.

SJW
01-20-2020, 10:27 AM
Only if you have a detached garage as well to actually park in. Boggles my mind that people don't park in garages with the winters we get. Nevermind the cold, just having to brush the snow off my car first thing in the morning is enough of a reason to use a car-hole.

So the solution for me is to get a triple car garage? Cuz i'll fuckin do it.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-20-2020, 10:32 AM
Once my neighbours turned their garage into a man cave then set up a car tent outside to work on their vehicles. Dumbest thing I’ve ever seen.

ExtraSlow
01-20-2020, 10:37 AM
Now am an antisocial guy, so I don't want buddies coming over to my house, but I can see the appeal. Honestly, if you make good use of the space, who cares WHAT you are using it for? I also don't mind brushing snow off my car, but apparently that's a big hassle for some people. I guess those people can make different choices.

but we can all agree that the best solution is TWO garages. Oh great, now I will spend the day dreaming about that house I nearly bought with two garages . . . . .

killramos
01-20-2020, 10:39 AM

A buddy of mine did that, but he did it right with tandem depth and it’s own climate control so he can hang out with his car. Oh and he has another triple alongside it. Great setup.

ExtraSlow
01-20-2020, 10:49 AM
A buddy of mine did that, but he did it right with tandem depth and it’s own climate control so he can hang out with his car. Oh and he has another triple alongside it. Great setup.
That's how you do it right! Nice.

dirtsniffer
01-20-2020, 10:52 AM
Part of the problem is that all the half tons don't fit in those tiny suburban garages.

killramos
01-20-2020, 11:13 AM
Part of the problem is that all the half tons don't fit in those tiny suburban garages.

My last garage was 2 feet too short length wise for my truck.

My new garage is 8 inches too low height wise but plenty of length.

Can’t win lol, park on street and don’t leave things in my truck and make use of the auto lock feature instead.

Mitsu3000gt
01-20-2020, 11:19 AM

I know so many people who don't use their garages. One of those people has an empty, double, insulated garage and it sits empty 100% of the time. It's used for some general storage while their brand new car sits outside in -30C. I just don't get it.

SJW
01-20-2020, 11:25 AM

Mine won't fit.

ThePenIsMightier
01-20-2020, 11:27 AM
My favourite disparaging quote on this behaviour is "$300 worth of trash piled in your garage and $30k in vehicles on your driveway!"

Not my quote, but I LoL'd!

ExtraSlow
01-20-2020, 11:38 AM
30k in vehicles on your driveway. What are you guys all students or something?? Oh wait, all three of my vehicles together are probably only worth $30k. :cry::cry:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-20-2020, 11:40 AM
What are you guys all students or something?? Oh wait, all three of my vehicles together are probably only worth $30k. :cry::cry:

Damn I must be a Beyond baller, between my truck car and trailer I’m worth almost $40k in vehicles!

killramos
01-20-2020, 11:42 AM
Damn I must be a Beyond baller, between my truck car and trailer I’m worth almost $40k in vehicles!

Can’t be a beyond baller with domestics no matter how much they are worth.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-20-2020, 11:44 AM
Can’t be a beyond baller with domestics no matter how much they are worth.

Damn I thought I was special for once.

Tik-Tok
01-20-2020, 12:05 PM
So the solution for me is to get a triple car garage? Cuz i'll fuckin do it.

Nope, still not enough. I have a triple detached, but still want a single attached. For hanging out, and doing actual work. That way I wouldn't need to heat the detached.