PDA

View Full Version : Finding cash work - or short (<6 mo) contract finance/spreadsheets?

birdman86
10-06-2019, 05:57 PM
So I left the O&G finance world (business analysis, corporate finance, budget/planning, equity research) to go farming and no regrets - but winter is around the corner and I'm gonna be bored as shit for the next few months. Any ideas where a guy can find decent cash work, or leads on shorter term contract work through the winter for a guy with my background? So far all I've come up with are kijiji ad's to remove snow or walk dogs or whatever. Am also in process of drafting an email for my old bosses to look for temporary gigs (doubtful), but any other tips/ideas?

Would be even better if it was something I could do part time, remotely during the summer too since farming really doesn't keep me very busy.

ExtraSlow
10-06-2019, 06:07 PM
Small business bookkeeping?

nzwasp
10-06-2019, 06:32 PM
What type of farming did you start doing? (Out of interest)

A business I was thinking of starting ages ago but never bothered was marketing document copying to people. Basically using a scanner and a Evernote type application to scan in all the paper work and classifying it for people.

birdman86
10-06-2019, 08:11 PM
Just working to take over the family farm from dad, so all the usual cash crops - canola beans peas alfalfa hemp wheat barley etc etc, whatever’s worth something.

In reality the farm only needs May (seed) July (spray) and October (harvest) for full time, everything else (mostly checking pivots) could be done in an hour a day and on weekends.

Buster
10-06-2019, 08:29 PM
how good are you at building models from scratch?

The_Rural_Juror
10-07-2019, 06:21 AM

I am great at building models from fart remnants.

schurchill39
10-07-2019, 09:56 PM
Small business bookkeeping?

I know a few small business people, myself included, that could use some help on this front for sure. Couple hours here or there for beer money. Wouldn't be much but I am sure it could fund a few cases of pilsner and some of your mountain biking hobby.

birdman86
10-09-2019, 06:15 PM

Financial models like research? Definitely a strength of mine, they were basically my life for 8 years. If I could find guys that’d pay me to do that it’s be the dream.

I know a few small business people, myself included, that could use some help on this front for sure. Couple hours here or there for beer money. Wouldn't be much but I am sure it could fund a few cases of pilsner and some of your mountain biking hobby.

This is something I should look into, but I’m not an accountant (just cfa) and never really used bookkeeping software. I could however build financial models for guys for planning purposes etc. I also know my way around the general ledger so i could help with the prep for sure (which would basically be data entry), depending what the needs are.

tonytiger55
10-10-2019, 09:56 AM
Just working to take over the family farm from dad, so all the usual cash crops - canola beans peas alfalfa hemp wheat barley etc etc, whatever’s worth something.

In reality the farm only needs May (seed) July (spray) and October (harvest) for full time, everything else (mostly checking pivots) could be done in an hour a day and on weekends.

This is awesome.
Can you post pics of the field, farming equipment and stuff..?

Side note, I was watching a newsclip many moons ago. It was a farmer in the US that was also a analyst. He was using GPS positioning to check the soil quality on various points on his field to maximize growth.
Have you applied any of your skills like that to the farm??