PDA

View Full Version : Peanut Allergy and Work

jabjab
10-08-2019, 09:45 AM
Friend of mine works for a bigger oil and gas company downtown and he has a severe peanut allergy and he notified his work of it. They had some sort of lunch celebration last week and the admin who ordered the food let them know that there are people on the floor who are allergic to peanuts and other nuts. He ate the lunch and had a extreme reaction and was taken to emergency for it. There ended up being cashews in one of the dishes.

His company has a big concept of safety and it almost seems like its being brushed under the rug. I have a nut allergy as well and it made me aware that notifying people just isn't enough.

vengie
10-08-2019, 09:47 AM
Friend of mine works for a bigger oil and gas company downtown and he has a severe peanut allergy and he notified his work of it. They had some sort of lunch celebration last week and the admin who ordered the food let them know that there are people on the floor who are allergic to peanuts and other nuts. He ate the lunch and had a extreme reaction and was taken to emergency for it. There ended up being cashews in one of the dishes.

His company has a big concept of safety and it almost seems like its being brushed under the rug. I have a nut allergy as well and it made me aware that notifying people just isn't enough.

Go on...

JRSC00LUDE
10-08-2019, 09:48 AM
Well, if it was the vendor who screwed up despite being warned what is the company exactly supposed to do? I assume they assisted in medical aid and they'll perform their due diligence next time/informed the vendor they screwed up and hurt someone?

And other than notifying people to make them aware, what is "enough"? It's his/your responsibility to take care of yourself. Maybe that includes packing a lunch in these scenarios if it's that drastic.

riander5
10-08-2019, 09:50 AM

Shitty deal

ExtraSlow
10-08-2019, 09:55 AM
That should be a recordable incident. He shoudl talk to the HSE group and make sure its written down.

Mitsu3000gt
10-08-2019, 09:57 AM
If you have a severe food allergy, at the end of the day you are responsible for making sure you don't eat anything you shouldn't. Ask about ingredients, food prep procedures, etc. until you are comfortable. Never trust anything you can't verify yourself. Sometimes things like peanut oil are used in production/packaging but not listed in ingredients, which sucks. Cross contamination can also happen easily and unintentionally. It's super annoying for sure, and that's why you always carry an epi pen. Personally I wouldn't trust a lunch ordered by a company for the masses if I had a potentially deadly allergy.

It's hard to place blame in this type of scenario, for example the admin assistant who ordered that might have asked for no peanuts, and the restaurant could have (knowingly or unknowingly) still used a particular ingredient that had a trace or something. I genuinely feel bad for people who have to constantly keep an eye out for this sort of thing, I have one friend who is badly allergic to peanuts and another to shellfish and it sucks.

suntan
10-08-2019, 10:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEb5a-I0kyg

- - - Updated - - -

Just sayin

jabjab
10-08-2019, 10:31 AM
Not really a post to put blame on anyone just more of even if you take the precautions its just not worth eating food you don't know. It has made me second guess a trip I wanted to plan to Thailand due to my own peanut allergy.

- - - Updated - - -

That should be a recordable incident. He shoudl talk to the HSE group and make sure its written down.

I asked if anyone came to talk to him about it and he said nobody has. You'd think someone from HSE would talk to him or HR

vengie
10-08-2019, 10:35 AM
Was he carrying an epi-pen?

Mitsu3000gt
10-08-2019, 10:38 AM
What steps did he take before he ate the food to ensure there were no peanuts/nuts in it? Did he get burned after proper due diligence, or did he trust that the company would investigate the ingredients/prep etc. on his behalf?

jabjab
10-08-2019, 10:40 AM
Was he carrying an epi-pen?

Yea, he had one at his desk but opted out to use benedryl to buy some time. I never knew this but you're still required to go to the hosptial even if you use an epi pen. He was able to know the signs and went straight there

gmc72
10-08-2019, 10:41 AM
Tell him not to wait for someone to come to him. Go see them first. Otherwise it could get missed. Companies are all about employee safety these days. If we see someone doing something unsafe, we're supposed to report it. Seems a little "Big Brother"-ish to me, but it's the policy.

jabjab
10-08-2019, 10:43 AM
What steps did he take before he ate the food to ensure there were no peanuts/nuts in it? Did he get burned after proper due diligence, or did he trust that the company would investigate the ingredients/prep etc. on his behalf?

He informed the admin that he has a peanut/nut allergy and there are other people on the floor with one too. Admin informed the restaurant about this. He just thought it was safe to eat as the restaurant was made aware of the allergy. He probably should have asked again but how would they have known once it was delivered? Safest bet for anyone with an allergy is just to pack your own lunch

- - - Updated - - -

Tell him not to wait for someone to come to him. Go see them first. Otherwise it could get missed. Companies are all about employee safety these days. If we see someone doing something unsafe, we're supposed to report it. Seems a little "Big Brother"-ish to me, but it's the policy.

he's afraid that he might get in trouble for bringing it up , kind of like stirring the pot.

Skrilla
10-08-2019, 10:44 AM
Being someone who has a nut allergy, I ALWAYS carry Epi Pen, or don't eat it.

Mitsu3000gt
10-08-2019, 10:45 AM
He informed the admin that he has a peanut/nut allergy and there are other people on the floor with one too. Admin informed the restaurant about this. He just thought it was safe to eat as the restaurant was made aware of the allergy. He probably should have asked again but how would they have known once it was delivered? Safest bet for anyone with an allergy is just to pack your own lunch

Yup, exactly. It sucks and it's super inconvenient, but the person with the allergy is mostly responsible at the end of the day. Best thing to do is call the restaurant, and ask questions about ingredients and prep. Any mass-produced work lunch though would probably be a risk anyway because the people making it probably don't really care OR they might now know the details of the ingredient sources. For example if an employee is used to putting nuts in a dish that they make 100 times a day, it could easily be a mistake. Or if they use a product that has peanut oil in the container to keep things from sticking together, they might still use that ingredient thinking it's OK.

jabjab
10-08-2019, 10:53 AM

are you symptoms right away aggressive or do you have a slow onset of symptoms?

tonytiger55
10-08-2019, 11:15 AM
NIt has made me second guess a trip I wanted to plan to Thailand due to my own peanut allergy.

- - - Updated - - -

No no.. you should go on your trip. Thailand is a amazing place. The cocacola there tastes amazing.

Skrilla
10-08-2019, 11:37 AM
are you symptoms right away aggressive or do you have a slow onset of symptoms?

Mine are quite aggressive, especially for peanuts.

Sophal
10-08-2019, 06:41 PM

This!!!

When meals are provided, companies are accommodating as they can. In my experience, it's usually a gluten or non gluten option. When doing bulk food orders, they usually can't accommodate everyone's preference. It's either eat or don't. Your buddy fucked up and is still living in elementary school. HSE won't care because it's your buddy should have known better. We're suppose to be functioning adults here.

Buster
10-08-2019, 07:24 PM
Is your friend voting Liberal or NDP?

dirtsniffer
10-08-2019, 07:40 PM
Complaining about this is a surefire way to end company sponsored lunches. Tell your friend to not make waves

vengie
10-08-2019, 07:55 PM
Is your friend voting Liberal or NDP?

Considering the NDP’s healthcare platform, I am going to guess its them.

speedog
10-08-2019, 08:15 PM
What does HSE stand for? I've been out of the corporate world for 12 years now and don't recall such an acronym.

ThePenIsMightier
10-08-2019, 08:30 PM
What does HSE stand for? I've been out of the corporate world for 12 years now and don't recall such an acronym.

Health, Safety & Environment

Buster
10-08-2019, 10:04 PM
People WAY WAY WAY overstate the severity of their allergies.

"If I eat peanuts, I'm dead!"

"If I eat shellfish, I will die!"

In the united states last year, according to the FDA, only 150 people die of food allergies per year. That's nothing.

But I'm supposed to believe that the dude at work is somehow the food allergy lottery winner?

I think people get an allergy reaction, and THINK that they are dying...but they're not. Incidentally the number of people dying by food allergy per year is always about the same, but the number of people going to emergency for food allergies is skyrocketing. Basically people are being led to believe they have some severe allergy - I presume because of media or just because people believe stuff.

jabjab
10-09-2019, 08:18 AM

In the united states last year, according to the FDA, only 150 people die of food allergies per year. That's nothing.

But I'm supposed to believe that the dude at work is somehow the food allergy lottery winner?

I think people get an allergy reaction, and THINK that they are dying...but they're not. Incidentally the number of people dying by food allergy per year is always about the same, but the number of people going to emergency for food allergies is skyrocketing. Basically people are being led to believe they have some severe allergy - I presume because of media or just because people believe stuff.

Not sure what he is voting but I think you're misunderstanding the post. It's just to show that even when you take the steps to make sure there are no allegens in your food then best choice is just don't trust it and pack a lunch. Who's talking about a lottery winner here? its a live and learn situation.

I can't speak on other peoples allergies but for him its full anflax shock which can lead to death if left untreated and some people just get itchy skin or nothing life threatening. Just an awareness thread, relax.

Brent.ff
10-09-2019, 08:21 AM
even when you take the steps to make sure there are no allegens in your food then best choice is just don't trust it and pack a lunch. .

I don't think that telling reception that you have a peanut allergy counts as really taking steps to 'make sure'. Maybe they specifically said 'No peanuts', and then the restaurant didn't think it was a problem to have Cashews.. Question, what was the theme of the food? Chinese? Thai? Seems like a bad idea regardless

jabjab
10-09-2019, 08:24 AM
This!!!

When meals are provided, companies are accommodating as they can. In my experience, it's usually a gluten or non gluten option. When doing bulk food orders, they usually can't accommodate everyone's preference. It's either eat or don't. Your buddy fucked up and is still living in elementary school. HSE won't care because it's your buddy should have known better. We're suppose to be functioning adults here.

agreed, best way is not to eat lesson learned. It's funny cause he was explaining ot me that someone burned their hand on coffee and they made it into a big safety moment company wide. A little excessive i thought..

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think that telling reception that you have a peanut allergy counts as really taking steps to 'make sure'. Maybe they specifically said 'No peanuts', and then the restaurant didn't think it was a problem to have Cashews.. Question, what was the theme of the food? Chinese? Thai? Seems like a bad idea regardless

Not sure of how it was communicated to be honest but there are a few people that work with him that have nut allergies. There is no way to be sure but to just avoid food that is not made by someones self. I believe it was Indian food cause there was curry chicken, naan bread etc.

Brent.ff
10-09-2019, 08:27 AM
There is no way to be sure but to just avoid food that is not made by someones self.

Sounds like what i'd be doing if something could kill me.... Celebration or not. Ton's of cashew use in indian food

JordanEG6
10-09-2019, 09:27 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEb5a-I0kyg

- - - Updated - - -

Just sayin

I thought about this bit when I read the OP :rofl:

ExtraSlow
10-09-2019, 09:35 AM
So if you have a serious allergy, don't ever eat the food in the workplace. But in the travel thread, we told someone that travelling to Thailand was an OK idea? Seems ass-backwards.

Brent.ff
10-09-2019, 09:45 AM
So if you have a serious allergy, don't ever eat the food in the workplace. But in the travel thread, we told someone that travelling to Thailand was an OK idea? Seems ass-backwards.

if you are deathly allergic..travel all you want, but id still be making my own food

Buster
10-09-2019, 10:07 AM
Not sure what he is voting but I think you're misunderstanding the post. It's just to show that even when you take the steps to make sure there are no allegens in your food then best choice is just don't trust it and pack a lunch. Who's talking about a lottery winner here? its a live and learn situation.

I can't speak on other peoples allergies but for him its full anflax shock which can lead to death if left untreated and some people just get itchy skin or nothing life threatening. Just an awareness thread, relax.

That's my point...everyone thinks their allergy is some sort of life threatening situation. It's just catastrophizing. About the same number of people die from falling coconuts in the US every year as die of allergic reactions. So, it's statistically extraordinarily unlikely that someones impression of their "life threatening allergy" is actually life threatening. People also die of hemorrhagic heartburn at a somewhat similar rate. But if someone told you that their franks hot sauce was life threatening, you'd mock them.

vengie
10-09-2019, 10:31 AM
if you are deathly allergic..travel all you want, but id still be making my own food

This.

And carry a god damn epi pen at all times.

Crazyjoker77
10-09-2019, 01:33 PM
I totally believe it should be up to the person with the allergy to be responsible for themselves. I'm not allergic but absolutely hate onions and go to extreme lengths to make sure no onions where used or i simply just don't eat it.

That being said I think its not a horrible idea to treat epi pens more like fire extinguishers or AEDs and make them more readily available in public places. Lots of people out there with heart conditions that don't need to lug around an AED with them everywhere because most public buildings, malls, schools, and emergency personal have them available. If you made the restaurant responsible for the epi pen they might be more diligent when it comes to allergy orders if they have to bear the cost to replace the pen after an incident.

lasimmon
10-09-2019, 02:46 PM
Hilariously on topic:

My old company used to do a birthday celebration every month for all the people born in that month. Cake or cupcakes or someting delicious anyways. Nothing crazy just agther in the boardroom and bullshit and eat some delicious desserts.

Then one lady went all allergy on dairy or gluten or something and an email went out to come join the dairy free/gluten free celebration or whatever because HR didn't want to exclude anyone.

Well no one went and that ended a fun monthly tradition.

I hated that place.

killramos
10-09-2019, 02:57 PM
Hilariously on topic:

My old company used to do a birthday celebration every month for all the people born in that month. Cake or cupcakes or someting delicious anyways. Nothing crazy just agther in the boardroom and bullshit and eat some delicious desserts.

Then one lady went all allergy on dairy or gluten or something and an email went out to come join the dairy free/gluten free celebration or whatever because HR didn't want to exclude anyone.

Well no one went and that ended a fun monthly tradition.

I hated that place.

Complaining about this is a surefire way to end company sponsored lunches. Tell your friend to not make waves

Hate to say it, but making a stink with HR is only going to go this way.

Lunches etc. are a bonus that is supplied not an entitlement, if your friend wants to mention the allergy before a meal and roll the dice that their call but if they are massively allergic to something like you exclaimed sounds like they should be packing their food 7 days a week and eat that. If I was that massively allergic I wouldn’t trust the person serving me in the +15 to ensure a popular condiment isn’t in my food.

Anyhow it was a shitty situation, but making a stink about it is just going to ruin things for everyone.

jabjab
10-09-2019, 04:12 PM
Hate to say it, but making a stink with HR is only going to go this way.

Lunches etc. are a bonus that is supplied not an entitlement, if your friend wants to mention the allergy before a meal and roll the dice that their call but if they are massively allergic to something like you exclaimed sounds like they should be packing their food 7 days a week and eat that. If I was that massively allergic I wouldn’t trust the person serving me in the +15 to ensure a popular condiment isn’t in my food.

Anyhow it was a shitty situation, but making a stink about it is just going to ruin things for everyone.

oh yea he's not going to make a stink about it, he just thought it was funny that someone burns their hand from a coffee mug and a massive Health and Safety thing gets circulated but someone has a bad allergy and there is no speak of it.

I think he's just never going to eat a catered lunch regardless , its just not worth the risk. It has me contemplating going to Thailand cause even if you say no nuts, they still might have some.

SKR
10-09-2019, 04:19 PM
It has me contemplating going to Thailand cause even if you say no nuts, they still might have some.

And that's the women.

Skrilla
10-09-2019, 04:40 PM

Yea...no.

Buster
10-09-2019, 05:58 PM
Yea...no.

food allergies.... in a nutshell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mLCASmwg4g