PDA

View Full Version : Ordered a 2019 Toyota Rav4, will be getting a 2020 instead but have to pay $700 more

gyu
10-11-2019, 01:51 PM
Ordered a 2019 Rav4 this past June, paid a $5k deposit and negotiated a good price below MSRP. Was told vehicle would arrive around September, fast forward to today and we still don't have a VIN# and Toyota has moved onto building 2020's now. Toyota has increased the MSRP price by $700 for the same trim and dealership wants to charge me the extra $700 which I disagree with since it is Toyota's fault they could not fulfill the 2019 order before 2020 production. From what I've read on the RAV4 forum, at least a few people said their dealerships maintained the original agreed upon price for the 2019 (without having to dispute it).

Anyone been in a similar situation? Do I have a shot at fighting the $700 off?

Disoblige
10-11-2019, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I'd say so. Escalate to general manager or higher if you need to. Don't waste time with someone if you're just spinning wheels.

If you ordered since June, and expected it in Sept, it's past October now man.

Thaco
10-11-2019, 01:56 PM
yeah that's bullshit, they're the ones delaying it, they're the ones who are braking the agreement, no way you should be paying for it. Keep going up, hell i'd even give corporate a call if you cant get anything done at the dealership level.

gyu
10-11-2019, 02:00 PM
Glad to see I am not the only one who thinks it is BS. The salesperson told me that it is the general sales manager who said I need to pay the $700.

Mitsu3000gt
10-11-2019, 02:02 PM
Absolutely they should pay it, and I'm sure you are giving them a lot more than $700 in pure profit anyway.

I'd walk from the deal if I were you and buy a 2020 from a different dealership. Or watch them instantly become your best friend when you threaten to walk. Hopefully you can get your deposit back because their side of the deal completely changed.

Start inquiring about how to get out of the deal entirely and I bet that $700 disappears. Then do go a different dealer anyway because that is shady AF.

tonytiger55
10-11-2019, 02:14 PM
That is bollocks.
Read the details of the contract you signed and see if there is any clause for them to do this. Its a scare tactic if anything.
If thats all good and they wont budge, walk away.
Sales are slow on the Toyota side, so they will want you business.

pheoxs
10-11-2019, 02:16 PM
I'd start calling or emailing other dealerships and explain the situation and basically see if they'll price match what you already have negotiated to pick up a easy sale. Then refuse to pay the difference and ask for your deposit back.

rage2
10-11-2019, 02:20 PM
Looking at it more rationally, RAV4's sell like hotcakes. Looking at the 2019 vs 2020 prices it's the Hybrid Limited AWD model that you went for with the $700 difference. That's their most popular model. From their perspective, they don't really need the sale. You go elsewhere and you'll get the same price (I'd do it for the satisfaction if they won't bend over for $700). Clearly all the 2019's were long gone (assuming you wanted some exact spec that wasn't available) you're not getting it. The 2020's are set for retail release in October, so they've long been building 2020's.

On the bright side, Android auto in 2020's if you're on Android. Great choice, I've driven the Hybrid a couple times, really loved it. Wanted to get this for the MIL a couple years ago.

There's nothing in the contract that's enforceable. It's for a 2019 which isn't available. They're not forced to sell a 2020 at the same price.

gyu
10-11-2019, 02:31 PM
Looking at it more rationally, RAV4's sell like hotcakes. Looking at the 2019 vs 2020 prices it's the Hybrid Limited AWD model that you went for with the $700 difference. That's their most popular model. From their perspective, they don't really need the sale. You go elsewhere and you'll get the same price (I'd do it for the satisfaction if they won't bend over for $700). Clearly all the 2019's were long gone (assuming you wanted some exact spec that wasn't available) you're not getting it. The 2020's are set for retail release in October, so they've long been building 2020's.

On the bright side, Android auto in 2020's if you're on Android. Great choice, I've driven the Hybrid a couple times, really loved it. Wanted to get this for the MIL a couple years ago.

There's nothing in the contract that's enforceable. It's for a 2019 which isn't available. They're not forced to sell a 2020 at the same price.

It's the XSE that I ordered which I don't think is as popular as the Limited but also doesn't seem like Toyota is much of them. In addition to your points, another concern is having to restart our position in the queue if we walked away and went elsewhere. I could potentially have to wait another 5+ months.

lasimmon
10-11-2019, 02:33 PM
Its a Rav4. Aren't there like a million on the lots come October? Does it really need to be ordered?

gyu
10-11-2019, 02:40 PM
Its a Rav4. Aren't there like a million on the lots come October? Does it really need to be ordered?

Toyota really stepped it up with the new gen hybrids. Better than the gas models in every way (more power, way more fuel efficient, projector headlights for only about $1,400 more over the gas model). Gas models are plentiful but hybrids are not due to battery shortages and also demand for the hybrid is up in North America 147% in July 2019 over July 2018 https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-motor-north-america-reports-july-2019-sales/

to give you an idea on the demand-supply situation.

roopi
10-11-2019, 02:41 PM
If they took an order in June for a 2019 model they must have been trying to source it from another dealership. It seems odd that Toyota be building 2019's in June to me.

If it were me I'd just ask for my 5k back since they didn't deliver the vehicle and take the chance they just return it instead of giving the $700 off. I don't think you will be waiting in a queue for the 2020's since they are building them now and the dealerships should have them on the lot unless you are looking for something very specific.

nickyh
10-11-2019, 02:47 PM
when i ordered my GTI years back, they were no longer were selling 2011 models and the factory was starting the switch over.
I ordered a 2012 using 2011 prices (2012 prices had not been released yet), MSRP went up $1200, i paid based on what was written up on the 2011. I fully expected them to pass along the increase so was happy they did not.

I'd fight it.

chongkee_
10-11-2019, 03:12 PM
Ordered a 2019 Rav4 this past June, paid a $5k deposit and negotiated a good price below MSRP. Was told vehicle would arrive around September, fast forward to today and we still don't have a VIN# and Toyota has moved onto building 2020's now. Toyota has increased the MSRP price by $700 for the same trim and dealership wants to charge me the extra $700 which I disagree with since it is Toyota's fault they could not fulfill the 2019 order before 2020 production. From what I've read on the RAV4 forum, at least a few people said their dealerships maintained the original agreed upon price for the 2019 (without having to dispute it).

Anyone been in a similar situation? Do I have a shot at fighting the $700 off?

Same thing happened to my parents a while back. Ordered a 2014 Highlander in May and put down a deposit and was told they'll take delivery in a week or two. Date went by and past and we kept following it up and they keep telling us it's coming. Then around September they said it's ready to be picked up but it's no longer the 2014 and they're now on the 2015s and are charging us more. Told them that wasn't the agreed upon price and if they can't keep it then we just want our deposit back. During the conversation the sales guy told me that it's a very high demand vehicle and we won't be able to get the 2015 at the negotiated 2014 price. I told him that it's even better for them since the moment we cancel the sale and get our deposit back they'll be able to sell the vehicle pretty quick. An hour later they told us they'll honour the agreed upon price and gave us a 2015 based on the negotiated 2014 price.

ExtraSlow
10-11-2019, 03:26 PM
They aren't screwing you over, as long as they'll permit you to cancel the deal and give your deposit back. This happens and it's not always the dealerships fault. You are free to shop around now.

lilmira
10-11-2019, 03:36 PM
I won't even waste my time. Take the deposit back and shop somewhere else.

roopi
10-11-2019, 03:42 PM
Same thing happened to my parents a while back. Ordered a 2014 Highlander in May and put down a deposit and was told they'll take delivery in a week or two. Date went by and past and we kept following it up and they keep telling us it's coming. Then around September they said it's ready to be picked up but it's no longer the 2014 and they're now on the 2015s and are charging us more. Told them that wasn't the agreed upon price and if they can't keep it then we just want our deposit back. During the conversation the sales guy told me that it's a very high demand vehicle and we won't be able to get the 2015 at the negotiated 2014 price. I told him that it's even better for them since the moment we cancel the sale and get our deposit back they'll be able to sell the vehicle pretty quick. An hour later they told us they'll honour the agreed upon price and gave us a 2015 based on the negotiated 2014 price.

I would do this same thing. Don't fall for the shit the salesperson tells you.

C4S
10-11-2019, 03:50 PM
I will pay $700 for a newer model year..

Put it this way, the resell value for 2020 will be better than 2019 for sure, say a 2015 and 2016 RAV4 for sale, even same km, but $700 difference, which one would you buy?

By the way, if you are talking the Hybrid, there is a big shortage and huge demand for Hybrid vehicles from Toyota/Lexus now... most models been sold out for months!

I am sure if you want to take your deposit back, no problem, but I doubt you can get extra $700 off on a 2020 Rav 4 Hybrid, and expect a long waiting time.

NRGie
10-11-2019, 03:57 PM
Drayton Valley Toyota has a Hybrid XSE 2019 in stock on their site.

Have you tried emailing other stores around AB?

bjstare
10-11-2019, 05:03 PM
I agree that in principle the dealer is dicking you around... but $700 on a $40k car? I'd threaten to walk and if they didn't budge, probably just pay the money for the newer car. Not worth the headache, and potential of winding up on another wait list. :dunno:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-11-2019, 05:13 PM
I’d say split it with them.

Team_Mclaren
10-13-2019, 12:12 AM
I will pay $700 for a newer model year..

Put it this way, the resell value for 2020 will be better than 2019 for sure, say a 2015 and 2016 RAV4 for sale, even same km, but $700 difference, which one would you buy?

By the way, if you are talking the Hybrid, there is a big shortage and huge demand for Hybrid vehicles from Toyota/Lexus now... most models been sold out for months!

I am sure if you want to take your deposit back, no problem, but I doubt you can get extra $700 off on a 2020 Rav 4 Hybrid, and expect a long waiting time.

This, if you've ever factory order a vehicle you'd know it's a pain. At this point, getting a 2020 is a way better deal even for $700 more. a year later, your 2020 would be worth at least 2k more than the 2019 with same KM.

Disoblige
10-13-2019, 01:25 AM
Doesn't Redlyne_mr2 work at the Toyota in Red Deer still?
Wonder what he can do for you compared to price you paid currently.

gyu
01-06-2020, 02:46 PM
Update: Finally received word this past weekend that the vehicle is here and scheduled pick-up on Saturday. They are passing the $700 cost to me and not budging. A few months back the sales person said that the sales manager would 'see what he can do' to compensate for the $700. Fast forward to the present, and the sales person told me that the sales manager felt bad I waited so long and his 'favor' is giving this vehicle to me instead of another customer because they usually give the vehicles to customers who pay the most (which contradicts what I was originally told about first come first serve). :thumbsdow The other option he proposed is I turn this vehicle down and get one maybe in March and he'll ask his sales manager to throw in a cargo liner :facepalm:

Today, I receive an email he wants to charge me $526 + tax because he 'forgot' to include the block heater charge to my 'all in' pricing and that the 2020 comes with a block heater whereas the 2019 doesn't... :thumbsdow:thumbsdow We both did the math when the 2020 pricing was on toyota.ca and the difference for the exact same trim, model, accessories, etc. was about $700, not $1230.

... seriously?!? :english::english::english:

The Cosworth
01-06-2020, 02:53 PM
This feels like Country Hills tactics to me. I can't give you any input on what to do in your specific situation. Mathematically what everyone said about 'just paying it' for the 2020 makes sense. I am much more petty though and this would really bug me.

Disoblige
01-06-2020, 02:56 PM
So earlier in this thread, I recommended escalating the situation to the GM or higher. Have you done so?
If the guy who is fucking you over is doing it repeatedly, you would be silly to expect any differently if you are trying to convince the same guy to change. Talk to his boss?

ExtraSlow
01-06-2020, 02:56 PM
They aren't screwing you over, as long as they'll permit you to cancel the deal and give your deposit back. This happens and it's not always the dealerships fault. You are free to shop around now.

Quoting myself and remembering all the reasons a deposit is a bad idea.

revelations
01-06-2020, 02:57 PM
Standard dealer horseshit. Next they will 'forget' charging you for undercoating.

Promised in Sept, now available in Jan. wow.

Time to walk and try again elsewhere. I would even recommend leaving the city.

Mitsu3000gt
01-06-2020, 02:57 PM
$500+ for a block heater? They could at least throw in some lube. Block heaters are commonly free or thrown in as part of the deal. Don't pay them for it at all. If they want to put it on the invoice, make sure it comes out of their end. Same deal with any admin fees, key replacement fees, glass etching fee, etc. You should not be paying a cent for those.

And that mat they offered you in March MAYBE costs the dealership $20. If you want mats, aftermarket ones are cheaper (than dealership retail) and much better quality.

If I were you I'd bail on the deal (sounds like they are giving you the option) and buy it from a different dealership. They know they got you by the balls so they don't care anymore. Threaten to walk away from the deal and watch the price magically decrease.

D'z Nutz
01-06-2020, 03:04 PM
Forget about threatening. Just bail. If they're not gonna screw you on this, they'll find something else to screw with.

I'd just go find another dealer who isn't going to play mind games.

NRGie
01-06-2020, 03:06 PM
Do you like to gamble? Try bluffing and say Sherwood Toyota in Edmonton is willing to honour xyz price.

Sherwood Toyota sold 173 new cars last month. No other Toyota dealer in AB came close (usually Country Hills and Southe Pointe are kings in AB, but Sherwood is starting to make noise).

Also, have you shopped in Edmonton? Dealers in Edmonton are much more aggressive and will actually negotiate. This is true for most makes.

gyu
01-06-2020, 03:08 PM
So earlier in this thread, I recommended escalating the situation to the GM or higher. Have you done so?
If the guy who is fucking you over is doing it repeatedly, you would be silly to expect any differently if you are trying to convince the same guy to change. Talk to his boss?

I will try this evening.

Standard dealer horseshit. Next they will 'forget' charging you for undercoating.

Promised in Sept, now available in Jan. wow.

Time to walk and try again elsewhere. I would even recommend leaving the city.
This is actually an Edmonton dealer, though I wish I did go with Drayton Valley as they seem most honest in retrospect.

$500+ for a block heater? They could at least throw in some lube. Block heaters are commonly free or thrown in as part of the deal. Don't pay them for it at all. If they want to put it on the invoice, make sure it comes out of their end. Same deal with any admin fees, key replacement fees, glass etching fee, etc. You should not be paying a cent for those.

And that mat they offered you in March MAYBE costs the dealership $20. If you want mats, aftermarket ones are cheaper (than dealership retail) and much better quality.

If I were you I'd bail on the deal (sounds like they are giving you the option) and buy it from a different dealership. They know they got you by the balls so they don't care anymore. Threaten to walk away from the deal and watch the price magically decrease.
He referred to Toyota's website where it shows $563 for the block heater in the build and it says it is included in all vehicles sold in AB.

Anyways, I sent an angry email shortly after my updated post here and he got back to me saying they will look for another vehicle for me ASAP without a block heater. So essentially they're gonna give up the vehicle to the next person in line and I'd be back in the queue for who knows how long.

They're certainly not afraid to lose my business as they did offer to return my deposit in full back when I made a big stink about the $700. I did explore options with other dealerships but they told me its better off to just wait it out with this dealership because if I jumped ship I would be at the back of the line again anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you like to gamble? Try bluffing and say Sherwood Toyota in Edmonton is willing to honour xyz price.

Sherwood Toyota sold 173 new cars last month. No other Toyota dealer in AB came close (usually Country Hills and Southe Pointe are kings in AB, but Sherwood is starting to make noise).

Also, have you shopped in Edmonton? Dealers in Edmonton are much more aggressive and will actually negotiate. This is true for most makes.

This is actually an Edmonton dealer. Sherwood's price was pretty good but not as good as the price that I had negotiated with this particular dealer.

killramos
01-06-2020, 03:10 PM
I don’t care how good the car is, I’d walk.

To quote another thread this stinks from the beginning, Plenty of Fish in the sea.

Mitsu3000gt
01-06-2020, 03:12 PM
He referred to Toyota's website where it shows $563 for the block heater in the build and it says it is included in all vehicles sold in AB.

Anyways, I sent an angry email shortly after my updated post here and he got back to me saying they will look for another vehicle for me ASAP without a block heater. So essentially they're gonna give up the vehicle to the next person in line and I'd be back in the queue for who knows how long.

They're certainly not afraid to lose my business as they did offer to return my deposit in full back when I made a big stink about the $700. I did explore options with other dealerships but they told me its better off to just wait it out with this dealership because if I jumped ship I would be at the back of the line again anyways.

Take your money and run is what I would do - if they are giving you an out, take it and try find a dealer who isn't going to screw you at every turn. No vehicle is worth getting treated like garbage IMHO - especially since that is exactly what is going to happen if you have any post-purchase issues.

Also, their website showing an absurd cost of a block heater does not mean that's what it's worth haha - I've never bought a car in my life without getting it for free. They are feeding you more BS.

Disoblige
01-06-2020, 03:25 PM
gyu, this isn't meant as a jab at you, but do you find yourself to be a good haggler? It's okay if you're not, but the thing is most dealers prey on crap like this and they sense this a mile away.

I would recommend you try to be ready to come at different approaches when you escalate this up or else take your deposit back and go elsewhere and at least hopefully get a better experience. Mentally it sucks to own a vehicles knowing it was sold by the same people who gave you that bad experience.

gyu
01-06-2020, 03:26 PM
Take your money and run is what I would do - if they are giving you an out, take it and try find a dealer who isn't going to screw you at every turn. No vehicle is worth getting treated like garbage IMHO - especially since that is exactly what is going to happen if you have any post-purchase issues.

Also, their website showing an absurd cost of a block heater does not mean that's what it's worth haha - I've never bought a car in my life without getting it for free. They are feeding you more BS.

Unfortunately competition is lacking for the Rav4 hybrid so alternatives are limited, there's the Ford Escape hybrid and that's about it. CR-V hybrid won't release till maybe Fall 2020. And the Rav4 hybrid is better than its gas powered CUV competitors

gyu
01-06-2020, 03:31 PM
gyu, this isn't meant as a jab at you, but do you find yourself to be a good haggler? It's okay if you're not, but the thing is most dealers prey on crap like this and they sense this a mile away.

I would recommend you try to be ready to come at different approaches when you escalate this up or else take your deposit back and go elsewhere and at least hopefully get a better experience. Mentally it sucks to own a vehicles knowing it was sold by the same people who gave you that bad experience.

I would like to think I'm a decent haggler as many dealers were not willing to budge on MSRP (I negotiated a deal about 1.5% above dealer cost) and in the US many dealers are even selling well above MSRP due to the supply-demand. Normally I would have walked long ago, the only reason I haven't is the lack of alternatives for CUV hybrids and just having to wait several more months if I went to another Toyota.

gwill
01-06-2020, 03:34 PM
what does your paperwork say in regards to the purchase? Is it not iron clad in regards to the purchase? You wouldn't think they could be changing things so easily. If their able to change things then I'd assume you'd be able to as well?

killramos
01-06-2020, 03:42 PM
Last time I bought a car the exact vehicle itself wasn’t finalized but all the prices that were signed upon were honoured.

It was just a sales sheet without the vin but the List of Options and costs all listed.

If the car came back costing the dealer more that was their cost to eat, that was made clear to them.

OP is being taken for a ride, and they are going to win because he wants the car too much.

NRGie
01-06-2020, 03:49 PM
Unfortunately competition is lacking for the Rav4 hybrid so alternatives are limited, there's the Ford Escape hybrid and that's about it. CR-V hybrid won't release till maybe Fall 2020. And the Rav4 hybrid is better than its gas powered CUV competitors

CRV Hybrid is not coming to Canada until 2022.

Rocket1k78
01-06-2020, 03:52 PM
If you were able to negotiate below msrp on a toyota thats really good because i was always under the impression the price is the price with toyota. Like others I would gladly pay the extra 700 for a 2020 but the fact theyre trying to jack you with the BH would leave me pretty bitter. I dont know what the cost is but wouldnt even an extra 1200 for a 2020 still be a good deal? You probably only got under msrp because it was mid year on a 2019. If this vehicle is as hot as they say you probably wont get a better deal elsewhere on a 2020 i bet

#truth
I even emailed Calgary dealers edmontons ad and they still wouldnt match

heavyD
01-08-2020, 06:52 PM
I would walk and get a better vehicle. My father in law just bought one of these and IMO they are simply not good value for the money. You have to pay close to $40k just to get decent options and it's nowhere near a $40k vehicle in interior quality or engine/transmission.

ExtraSlow
01-08-2020, 06:54 PM
Well OP, did you get your car or what? This doesn't have to be so difficult.

swak
01-08-2020, 07:10 PM
I can't believe you have the patience you do with these guys... You must really want this vehicle.

I wouldn't have lasted more than a day or so of their BS. Walk walk walk walk walk...

spikerS
01-08-2020, 07:31 PM
#metoo

First sign of this crap and I would have walked. The second they started treating me like this, I would have walked to the competition out of spite and let them know.

As Disoblige said, I think the dealer can smell your desperation a mile away. Frig, I would even take back my deposit, and wait another 6 months in your current ride and then get your pick when the lots are full of them.

D'z Nutz
01-08-2020, 08:45 PM
Fast forward to the present, and the sales person told me that the sales manager felt bad I waited so long and his 'favor' is giving this vehicle to me instead of another customer because they usually give the vehicles to customers who pay the most (which contradicts what I was originally told about first come first serve).

I also like how they made it sound like they were trying to right a wrong when what more than likely happened was whoever this vehicle was initially allotted to walked away from this vehicle (maybe cause the dealer was screwing around with them?) and they had to scramble to find another buyer.

msommers
01-08-2020, 09:29 PM
Just do yourself a favor and get a 4Runner instead :devil:

roopi
01-08-2020, 10:45 PM
Did you really negotiate a great price when they are adding on costs afterwards? If you want the vehicle then pay the extra cost if it wasn't included in your original deal. If I was you like most other people have said I'd walk away.

The Cosworth
01-10-2020, 09:11 AM
I also like how they made it sound like they were trying to right a wrong when what more than likely happened was whoever this vehicle was initially allotted to walked away from this vehicle (maybe cause the dealer was screwing around with them?) and they had to scramble to find another buyer.

Totally what it sounds like to me too.