PDA

View Full Version : Tesla vehicle discussion. No Elon or stock chat.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

benyl
10-15-2019, 10:37 AM
Thread to talk about the vehicles only to avoid the convo on stock price and the Elon loving and hating.

The company conversation is located here: https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/373280-Tesla-Motors

- - - Updated - - -

I'll start the convo.

What do you guys typically see for range reduction when it is -30?

FAQ for new owners started: https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/411331-Tesla-vehicle-discussion-No-Elon-or-stock-chat?p=4928237#post4928237

Jlude
10-15-2019, 12:23 PM
I haven't seen any range reduction in my S, it also doesn't sit outside in the weather for any significant length of time. I usually keep my battery charged to about 497 kilometers of range, never come close to depleting the battery.

KPHMPH
10-15-2019, 12:35 PM
I’ve found if I leave the X outside during these last few weeks I don’t have any regenerative braking what so ever.

If you plan to leave it outside, set your charge to finish right when you have to leave for work so the battery is warm and ready to go.

dj_rice
10-15-2019, 12:52 PM
I have no input to provide other than finding out Tesla has a Sentry mode that records on all cameras. How many cams does it have? That is badass. Only found this out from that Facebook post being shared around of that dude keying the Tesla owners car in Edmonton. Kinda odd he just drives up, keys it and goes off. Maybe the Tesla cut him off bad or something.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6028584/edmonton-tesla-vandalism-video/

KPHMPH
10-15-2019, 12:58 PM
I have no input to provide other than finding out Tesla has a Sentry mode that records on all cameras. How many cams does it have? That is badass. Only found this out from that Facebook post being shared around of that dude keying the Tesla owners car in Edmonton.

Front, 2 sides and a rear all record when someone comes within close proximity of the car. All the lights will flash and a sentry dot will flash on the main screen.

Skrilla
10-15-2019, 01:10 PM
I have no input to provide other than finding out Tesla has a Sentry mode that records on all cameras. How many cams does it have? That is badass. Only found this out from that Facebook post being shared around of that dude keying the Tesla owners car in Edmonton.

I seen something like that on Reddit, was a compilation of a bunch of people getting busted by those cameras.

OT: I have been looking at possibly trying out a pre-owned model. Which ones have the Ludacris mode? The one I was seriously looking at was a P85D model. Is it smart choice to go pre-owned and try one out?

Jlude
10-15-2019, 01:40 PM
I seen something like that on Reddit, was a compilation of a bunch of people getting busted by those cameras.

OT: I have been looking at possibly trying out a pre-owned model. Which ones have the Ludacris mode? The one I was seriously looking at was a P85D model. Is it smart choice to go pre-owned and try one out?

Pre "Performance" models, if you have the two lines under the model designation, it has ludicrous mode. Now it's just called performance model, instead of long range.

mo_money2supe
10-15-2019, 02:28 PM
Went in because we dropped off the E63 for service at Lonestar. Was there to test drive one because the wife hates putting gas in the car. I ended up buying one instead cause, holy fuck, it is fast. :burnout:

Got the performance. Skipping the FSD for now.

Welcome to the club! Come join the Tesla Owners Club of Alberta (TOCA) group on Facebook too if you haven't already and be sure to join in on the TOCA get-togethers. You'll often catch us doing Auto-Summon races. :burnout:

Although V8s have their obvious sound benefits, the Performance Model 3 still gives me more thrills per mile. I ran an 11.7 @ 118mph in the 1/4 at one of the past Half Mile events so it's no slouch! That was before the 5% boost in power (free over-the-air update!) and the much lighter WedsSport wheels I put on this past summer too.

If anyone has questions about the car or EVs in general, let me know (or if you need a referral code :angel:). I've had my Performance Model 3 for just over a year now and can speak to its drive through all seasons, including to ski hills & back, road trips to the Okanagan, mods, daily charging, Level 1/2/3 charging, etc, etc...

Here's a recent pic of mine:

flipstah
10-15-2019, 03:29 PM
Welcome to the club! Come join the Tesla Owners Club of Alberta (TOCA) group on Facebook too if you haven't already and be sure to join in on the TOCA get-togethers. You'll often catch us doing Auto-Summon races. :burnout:

Although V8s have their obvious sound benefits, the Performance Model 3 still gives me more thrills per mile. I ran an 11.7 @ 118mph in the 1/4 at one of the past Half Mile events so it's no slouch! That was before the 5% boost in power (free over-the-air update!) and the much lighter WedsSport wheels I put on this past summer too.

If anyone has questions about the car or EVs in general, let me know (or if you need a referral code :angel:). I've had my Performance Model 3 for just over a year now and can speak to its drive through all seasons, including to ski hills & back, road trips to the Okanagan, mods, daily charging, Level 1/2/3 charging, etc, etc...

Here's a recent pic of mine:

Nice ride! What color is that? It's like rust orange; I like. :)

LilDrunkenSmurf
10-15-2019, 03:40 PM
Ya'll making me regret my GTI.

mo_money2supe
10-15-2019, 04:12 PM
Nice ride! What color is that? It's like rust orange; I like. :)

It's a vinyl wrap actually; base colour is the flat black ("free" at the time). 3M 1080 in Gloss Fiery Orange. Looks amazing in person when it's clean!

Ya'll making me regret my GTI.

Sell it and get a Model 3! They start at $45k and if you keep the hardware trims down under $55k, there's still currently a federal incentive of $5k. Take advantage before the Libs get booted next week!

The_Rural_Juror
10-15-2019, 04:51 PM
Use my referral code instead. I can show you all how to use the fart generator. I can also fart on demand if required.

mo_money2supe
10-15-2019, 06:07 PM
Use my referral code instead. I can show you all how to use the fart generator. I can also fart on demand if required.

Lol, I've got a lower user # so I'm more Beyond OG! :love: I'll one-up Rural_Juror and let anyone Netflix 'n Chill inside my car (yes, all Model 3's now have built-in Netflix streaming)! :poosie:

In all seriousness, if there are any serious Tesla buyers out there, feel free to PM me for a test drive in my 480hp-ish Performance model if you'd like. EVs have crazy serious g-forces when accelerating!

90_Shelby
10-15-2019, 08:56 PM
Lol, I've got a lower user # so I'm more Beyond OG! :love: I'll one-up Rural_Juror and let anyone Netflix 'n Chill inside my car (yes, all Model 3's now have built-in Netflix streaming)! :poosie:

In all seriousness, if there are any serious Tesla buyers out there, feel free to PM me for a test drive in my 480hp-ish Performance model if you'd like. EVs have crazy serious g-forces when accelerating!

Can i race you with my Jeep? 11.7 is hauling ass! I'm curious how it would stack up and I haven't been lucky enough to race anything with it yet.

89coupe
10-15-2019, 09:44 PM
Can i race you with my Jeep? 11.7 is hauling ass! I'm curious how it would stack up and I haven't been lucky enough to race anything with it yet.

My buddy has the new Tesla 3 Dual Motor with the performance package, I can arrange a race with him if you want.

The_Rural_Juror
10-15-2019, 10:30 PM
:love: I'll let anyone Netflix 'n Chill inside

You must REALLY want the 1500kms. :love:

mo_money2supe
10-16-2019, 12:05 AM

Absolutely! If yours is stock, I think it'll be a pretty even race. I'll definitely take you from the start but you'll catch up to me near the back half of the 1/4 and fully outright in the 1/2. Were you the black Trackhawk at the last Half Mile? I assume you know James M. with his ridiculous 1200+hp white Trackhawk?

You must REALLY want the 1500kms. :love:

Performance models from pre-Oct. 2018 had unlimited free supercharging. ;)

pheoxs
10-16-2019, 08:16 AM
Sell it and get a Model 3! They start at $45k and if you keep the hardware trims down under $55k, there's still currently a federal incentive of $5k. Take advantage before the Libs get booted next week!

Typo? Their site shows 55k plus tax as the base unless I'm reading it wrong

benyl
10-16-2019, 08:31 AM
There is a short range version that I think you have to go into a Tesla Store to order.

flipstah
10-16-2019, 08:56 AM
There was a used Model S that came with unlimited charging. I didn't even know that was an offering!

It's definitely the future but I'm sure battery technology is just waiting to be improved.

LilDrunkenSmurf
10-16-2019, 09:20 AM

I toyed around on the Tesla website. I would likely get the AWD model (long range?). I've driven my Uncle's RWD Tesla 3. It was really quite nice. As fun as it would be to jump into one, it's still probably a few years down the road, when the GTI lease runs out.

Also, I would use mo_money's referral code. I still remember when he sold me e-brake cables for my civic in 2006.

Xtrema
10-16-2019, 10:13 AM
There is a short range version that I think you have to go into a Tesla Store to order.

That's a neutered 150km model. Have not followed this a bit to see if one can pay and software unlocked for full SR range.

That's the one that can be had for $40K+GST after fed rebates. It's just a compliance car for Model 3 to qualify for rebates.

mo_money2supe
10-16-2019, 05:39 PM
Typo? Their site shows 55k plus tax as the base unless I'm reading it wrong

That's a neutered 150km model. Have not followed this a bit to see if one can pay and software unlocked for full SR range.

That's the one that can be had for $40K+GST after fed rebates. It's just a compliance car for Model 3 to qualify for rebates.

Here's a quick summary of the "three" Model 3's that qualifies for the federal incentive:
$44,999+GST | "Under the table/order in store" | SR (not +) | software limited to 150km range
~$50,000+GST | SR (again, not +) | 385km range | no premium interior (no upgraded stereo, no LTE data, no rear heated seats, etc)
$54,999+GST | SR+ | 385km range | premium interior (see above)

I toyed around on the Tesla website. I would likely get the AWD model (long range?). I've driven my Uncle's RWD Tesla 3. It was really quite nice. As fun as it would be to jump into one, it's still probably a few years down the road, when the GTI lease runs out.

Also, I would use mo_money's referral code. I still remember when he sold me e-brake cables for my civic in 2006.

Let me know if you want a drive in mine. I'm open to letting anyone driving the car to show it's performance abilities. Forget the whole Greta sustainability hipster idea with EVs; it's the surprising performance out of these cars that gets me out of bed every morning!

I totally remember you driving me to my place in your B16 Si, going down Deerfoot, showing me what VTEC sounds like. Can't believe that was 13 years ago!

There was a used Model S that came with unlimited charging. I didn't even know that was an offering!

It's definitely the future but I'm sure battery technology is just waiting to be improved.

Pre-Jan 2017 (or was it Nov 2016?) Model S and Model X's had unlimited free supercharging that was transferable to future owners. Tesla allowed a very limited group of Model 3 Performances, as well as a small selection of post-Jun'ish 2019 *new* Model S/X's, to also get free unlimited supercharging (for first-owner only). The Model 3 Performance owners were then given a one-time refund of $5k USD ($6,6k CAD) if they want to give up their free supercharging, but I held on to my offering. We tend to do a lot of roadtrips so I figured I'd keep it.

Battery tech has already improved between the Model S/X's vs the Model 3s and upcoming Model Ys. I can link you to very techy articles about batteries but the future is already here!

mo_money2supe
10-16-2019, 06:02 PM
I'll start the convo.

What do you guys typically see for range reduction when it is -30?

Depending how long you park your car outside for, and if you leave it parked outside at home overnight (assuming while not charging), you may see a range reduction by up to 40%. I park mine in an insulated garage at home (not heated) and a heated parkade at work. I've personally seen no more than maybe a 20% range reduction in -30-deg weather. *Note: not accounting for my habit of having a heavy foot at lights* :burnout:

FYI, P85Ds did not come with Ludricrous (unless they upgraded it to P90D via hardware upgrade and then paid an additional $20k to tack on Ludricrous). Some P85Ds did have "insane" mode though, which in reality is only as fast as the new Model 3 Performances without the handling characteristics of the 3.

The_Rural_Juror
10-16-2019, 06:13 PM

I would use mo_money's referral code as well, even though he doesn't need the supercharger miles, purely for the Netflix N Chill fun.

Range wise. I get about 175 Wh/km going to the mountains on factory tires in the summer. During the recent snowstorm, I was around 330 Wh/km on Hakka 9s. Today, I hovered around 200 Wh/km.
It works out to roughly 2 l/100km in the summer and 3.7 l/100km in the snowstorm on studded tires. The extra cost is negligible, but it means that you will have to charge more often in the winter.

One thing to watch for when buying used are the hardware version. The older vehicles don't have the two rear facing cameras by the fenders and may not have an extra front facing cam as well. You will need these for sentry mode and full self driving.

Other than the added features through software updates, the best part about these cars are that they drive like go-karts. You can drive in most places on one pedal due to the regen acting as brakes.
Navigate on Autopilot has gotten a lot better recently.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol, I've got a lower user # so I'm more Beyond OG! :love:

Pssshh...'03s acting like they own this joint. :)

Super_Geo
10-16-2019, 07:46 PM
The tesla subreddit is really active: https://reddit.com/r/teslamotors/

Seems like people on there are saying cold weather cuts down range by about 30%.

Your supercharger referral miles expire 6 months from your last referral, but referring another person bumps the deadline by another 6 months.

I was in the market for a Model 3 Performance, but once I realized the fed incentive only applied to the base model SR+, I just ended up getting that. Not regretting that decision at all. SR+ is more than fast enough for city driving, and the 386km range isn't an issue when you can charge in your building.

In fact, I did Calgary > Vancouver in 1 day (supercharged in Golden, Revy, Cranbrook, Hope), then did Vancouver to SF in one session (9am Vancouver departure, 5:30am +1day SF arrival). I think getting the Long Range might've let me skip a couple supercharging sessions, but now that I've had it in SF for a month I don't think I would notice the difference at all between SR+ and LR AWD.

I ended up getting a $108k cheque from insurance for my Macan GTS that got totalled (only paid $91k for it new last year :angel:), could've gotten two SR+ Model 3s with it :rofl:

ExtraSlow
10-16-2019, 07:56 PM

Seems like people on there are saying cold weather cuts down range by about 30%.

Your supercharger referral miles expire 6 months from your last referral, but referring another person bumps the deadline by another 6 months.

I was in the market for a Model 3 Performance, but once I realized the fed incentive only applied to the base model SR+, I just ended up getting that. Not regretting that decision at all. SR+ is more than fast enough for city driving, and the 386km range isn't an issue when you can charge in your building.

In fact, I did Calgary > Vancouver in 1 day (supercharged in Golden, Revy, Cranbrook, Hope), then did Vancouver to SF in one session (9am Vancouver departure, 5:30am +1day SF arrival). I think getting the Long Range might've let me skip a couple supercharging sessions, but now that I've had it in SF for a month I don't think I would notice the difference at all between SR+ and LR AWD.

I ended up getting a $108k cheque from insurance for my Macan GTS that got totalled (only paid $91k for it new last year :angel:), could've gotten two SR+ Model 3s with it :rofl:

You sir are an inspiration to us all.

shakalaka
10-17-2019, 12:45 AM

Congrats on the mini lottery!

benyl
10-17-2019, 06:05 AM
Dilemma, I have delivery scheduled for Friday. But I want these wheels.

https://electrek.co/2019/10/17/tesla-model-3-gray-performance-wheels/

Edit: nevermind. All Model 3s seem to have gone up $1k overnight. Am I reading it right?

The_Rural_Juror
10-17-2019, 07:45 AM

Edit: nevermind. All Model 3s seem to have gone up $1k overnight. Am I reading it right?

Looks like the gray wheels are the only option for Perfs now. Nice!

Indeed the price has gone up.

Homerrca
10-17-2019, 08:17 AM
I have seen a few model 3 in pics as well as real life and while they look decent, that front end with no grill really just doesn't do it for me. Maybe I am getting old but to me it looks like it needs a grill. 87913

The_Rural_Juror
10-17-2019, 08:22 AM
I have seen a few model 3 in pics as well as real life and while they look decent, that front end with no grill really just doesn't do it for me. Maybe I am getting old but to me it looks like it needs a grill. 87913

I like the clean look as opposed to the BMW 7 series grin.

Homerrca
10-17-2019, 09:34 AM
Its just that one section that looks out of place to me. It looks a little bit like a fish. I am sure someone will come out with a kit to change the front end or Tesla might make adjustments (like all car manufactures) down the road.

pheoxs
10-17-2019, 09:40 AM
Its just that one section that looks out of place to me. It looks a little bit like a fish. I am sure someone will come out with a kit to change the front end or Tesla might make adjustments (like all car manufactures) down the road.

I'm surprised they don't just paint/wrap that section a different color. Like I guess they want their cars to look unique but .... it just looks weird

Super_Geo
10-17-2019, 10:07 AM
You sir are an inspiration to us all.

Congrats on the mini lottery!

Thanks guys :D Would've sucked so hard if it went down the repair route, instead of the $17k bonus and 2 weeks of a 911 rental route ;)

Wonder if the $5k fed incentive still applies... I thought the cut off was $55k, which was why the SR+ was 54,900?
Maybe Tesla had enough of the SR+ cannibalizing sales of the LR AWD and Performance. It's the same driving experience for 90% of the time, but I mean obviously the last 10% of scenarios when you are shredding someone at the lights or overtaking like a supercar in the Performance is an utterly different experience vs 'a slightly faster 3 series' in the SR+!

LLLimit
10-17-2019, 10:30 AM

https://i.imgur.com/DatH5ih.jpg

Brent.ff
10-17-2019, 10:42 AM
In fact, I did Calgary > Vancouver in 1 day (supercharged in Golden, Revy, Cranbrook, Hope)

What monster goes to Cranbrook after Revvy?

Kobe
10-17-2019, 11:06 AM
I've been thinking about purchasing one, it seems like the best choice (not looking at price)

But do people have problems with charging ever if they don't have a garage? This seems like my biggest concern, and then yah the cold weather as well and lower battery life I never did think about before.

I don't want to plug it into the power overnight and have it sitting outside, i'm scared the power will get stolen and I'm assuming it's not that cheap (how much does 1 of those cost?)

rage2
10-17-2019, 11:08 AM
What monster goes to Cranbrook after Revvy?
Pretty sure he meant Kamloops haha.

Xtrema
10-17-2019, 11:52 AM
I've been thinking about purchasing one, it seems like the best choice (not looking at price)

But do people have problems with charging ever if they don't have a garage? This seems like my biggest concern, and then yah the cold weather as well and lower battery life I never did think about before.

I don't want to plug it into the power overnight and have it sitting outside, i'm scared the power will get stolen and I'm assuming it's not that cheap (how much does 1 of those cost?)

Remember that while you could charge EV on 110v/15a circuit, you still want to charge them with a more efficient 220v/50a outlet.

120v/15a can only top up at 1.4kw/h If people are using 300wh/km in winter and 40km round trip, you are looking it 12kw per day. You will need to charge your car for 10hr per day at that rate just to cover that range. And this doesn't even count the burn rate to keep battery above 0c for charging.

Unless you live exclusively on supercharging, a garage is a must for EV in Calgary.

ExtraSlow
10-17-2019, 11:54 AM
Probably a 30A home charger in a heated garage would work fine.

mo_money2supe
10-17-2019, 12:02 PM

Even if someone tried to steal electricity from you, that's what, a whole whopping $1/day they'd freeload from you? I average only about $40/month in electricity costs charging mine.

If anyone tried to steal the charger itself, then they either don't know what a live 240V load does to their system or they REALLY know what they're doing, in which case, why steal a $600 charging unit?

For those who don't like the fish-chin look of the front, I present to you the following:
https://i.imgur.com/f9TkGjy.jpg

OR, you can be modest and go with a new front fascia (I actually quite like this one, just can't justify the price):
https://unpluggedperformance.com/product/ascension-front-fascia-model-3/

Or a front lip spoiler:
https://www.rpmtesla.com/collections/model-3-exterior-parts/products/model-3-carbon-fiber-front-lip-spoiler

Or just a cheapo front vinyl:
https://www.rpmtesla.com/collections/model-3-exterior-parts/products/model-3-front-bumper-apron-applique-39-with-20-off

The_Rural_Juror
10-17-2019, 12:07 PM
Xtrema Maths! :)

That's actually quite accurate. Some parking places downtown offer free charging. Usually at 220v 48a, but have seen an 80a charger. I did some quick marthing. The 220v/48a is probably 10-15% more efficient than 120v.

Kobe. The charger is just under $400 each, but they are locked to the car while it is charging. You can get by without a garage but it would be a pain if it's not at least covered.

mo_money2supe
10-17-2019, 12:12 PM
I would use mo_money's referral code as well, even though he doesn't need the supercharger miles, purely for the Netflix N Chill fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Pssshh...'03s acting like they own this joint. :)

:love::poosie:

From what I've been reading on the Tesla forums (man, do I actually do any work around here?? Yes, Mr. Caraba, I know you're reading this post too - get back to work dude!), the $1k extra INCLUDES freight, so the price hasn't technically changed. I could be wrong though...

mo_money2supe
10-17-2019, 12:15 PM
Kobe. The charger is just under $400 each, but they are locked to the car while it is charging. You can get by without a garage but it would be a pain if it's not at least covered.

The HPWC is $500 USD or some $630 CAD depending on the day's exchange rate...

The_Rural_Juror
10-17-2019, 12:33 PM
The HPWC is $500 USD or some $630 CAD depending on the day's exchange rate...

Most people won't need the HPWC. Plus if I recall correctly, the advantage is only like an extra 8a (against gen 1 mobile) vs loss of portability.

pheoxs
10-17-2019, 01:03 PM
Charge rates if anyone is curious

https://i.imgur.com/s7oYFtw.png

rage2
10-17-2019, 01:08 PM
Here's the range bible that I've been using to figure out if Tesla works for me for my family road trips through the year.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TroyTeslike/status/1038920763955396608

I sent that to Super_Geo to try to convince him into a Performance, but instead he realized the MR works fine, just more charging on trips.

RX_EVOLV
10-17-2019, 01:15 PM
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question...but is a Tesla with considering if its permanently parked outside? Can I run a cable to charge outside at -30C consistantly ?

benyl
10-17-2019, 01:20 PM
Most people won't need the HPWC. Plus if I recall correctly, the advantage is only like an extra 8a (against gen 1 mobile) vs loss of portability.

The cost to wire a 14-50 range plug with 50A breaker for the portable charger should be similar to the HPWC. You need to invest $50ish for the 14-50 adapter for the portable charger. https://shop.tesla.com/en_ca/product/gen-2-nema-adapters

It's a 16A difference. The portable charger has a max 32A charge. HPWC goes to 48A.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question...but is a Tesla with considering if its permanently parked outside? Can I run a cable to charge outside at -30C consistantly ?

yep, lots of people do that.

finboy
10-17-2019, 01:25 PM
They need to make a model 3 wagon (not cute-Ute model y)

LilDrunkenSmurf
10-17-2019, 01:39 PM
Does anyone drive the SR/RWD in Calgary year round? Have you had any issues in the snow/ice/cold? That would be the biggest reason I would consider an LR.

Kobe
10-17-2019, 02:41 PM
Remember that while you could charge EV on 110v/15a circuit, you still want to charge them with a more efficient 220v/50a outlet.

120v/15a can only top up at 1.4kw/h If people are using 300wh/km in winter and 40km round trip, you are looking it 12kw per day. You will need to charge your car for 10hr per day at that rate just to cover that range. And this doesn't even count the burn rate to keep battery above 0c for charging.

Unless you live exclusively on supercharging, a garage is a must for EV in Calgary.

Ya this is what i don't like, I wouldn't be driving the car daily but I also don't want to go charge it because of the cold winters. Seems like a good idea on paper but also not to purchase a tesla not having a garage in Calgary to park it. I hope they solve this issue in the future that the battery won't be draining from the cold like it does or the length it takes to charge. :(

mo_money2supe
10-17-2019, 02:42 PM
Here's the range bible that I've been using to figure out if Tesla works for me for my family road trips through the year.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TroyTeslike/status/1038920763955396608

I sent that to Super_Geo to try to convince him into a Performance, but instead he realized the MR works fine, just more charging on trips.

Try using this site to plan your road trips. Easier to work with using real life variables, including elevation and weather changes throughout the trip.
www.abetterrouteplanner.com

Ya this is what i don't like, I wouldn't be driving the car daily but I also don't want to go charge it because of the cold winters. Seems like a good idea on paper but also not to purchase a tesla not having a garage in Calgary to park it. I hope they solve this issue in the future that the battery won't be draining from the cold like it does or the length it takes to charge. :(

The cost to install a NEMA 14-50 plug (charger comes with the car, just need to buy a plug for $30) is some $200. If you fancy the Tesla wall unit, add another $600ish to that. How much do you spend on gas a month currently? I spent $300/mth on my old S4 (used Petro-94 due to the stage 2 tune), compared to the Tesla @ $40/mth. Within no time at all, the electrical upgrades to your house are already paid for. Xtrema's example is only if you used your current 120V/12A (1.44kW) plugs at home. Getting a let's say 240V/40A (9.6kW) setup with the NEMA 14-50 plug will net you over 6x the charging speed. Upgrading to the Tesla wall unit can up that speed to 240V/48A (11.52kW), which is 8x faster than your standard plug! The jist of it is, upgrade your electrical and winter is no issue whatsoever for even the SR, even if your car stays parked outside all winter.

Xtrema
10-17-2019, 03:02 PM
Xtrema's example is only if you used your current 120V/12A (1.44kW) plugs at home. Getting a let's say 240V/40A (9.6kW) setup with the NEMA 14-50 plug will net you over 6x the charging speed. Upgrading to the Tesla wall unit can up that speed to 240V/48A (11.52kW), which is 8x faster than your standard plug! The jist of it is, upgrade your electrical and winter is no issue whatsoever for even the SR, even if your car stays parked outside all winter.

I am just using what's the norm whenever someone say they park outside or have no access to a garage.

Also, I'm also not sure if out much it would cost for an outdoor rated NEMA 14-50 plug would be, but my guess is it would be more than $200 since you probably have to run longer wire from panel and the plug will have to be weather proofed.

LLLimit
10-17-2019, 03:46 PM
Biggest cost is the wire: 6/3 with a ground, covered wire.
Home Depot is running ~$13/meter when I looked last week, or
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000HEHCMS/?coliid=I18AIA8P6SBTPS&colid=183ENVUJLJ72Q&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
No need for conduit or armor when running through studs. Location of your main panel to your future receptacle determines this cost.

I can do it myself (probably), but I don't know what the CoC electrical permitting process is like or if they need to see a residential load calculation, etc etc.
The rest of the materials isn't too bad for an interior garage install:
-$30, 50amp 2pole breaker
-$15, outlet box
-$15, 14-50 receptacle
-$10, wall plate
-misc. clamps and consumables.

Armored cable is a completely different cost all together in the event you have to run a trench into a detached garage
If doing an exterior outlet, might as well have a lockbox you can coil your charging cable in.

mo_money2supe
10-17-2019, 04:12 PM
I am just using what's the norm whenever someone say they park outside or have no access to a garage.

Also, I'm also not sure if out much it would cost for an outdoor rated NEMA 14-50 plug would be, but my guess is it would be more than $200 since you probably have to run longer wire from panel and the plug will have to be weather proofed.

The costs that LLLimit listed are pretty standard industry prices. AWG 6/3 cu wire is already weather proof, but code does require PVC conduit for the outdoor exposed areas, which is maybe $1/ft. Most newer homes built in the 21st century have their panels directly in the basement near the front door, so the wiring length to get it outside will be pretty minimal. I priced out just material costs for a NEMA 14-50 for my house (into the garage though) at only $150, except I went with the HPWC option instead, so add the $630 for the wall unit, less the costs of the 14-50 receptacle. So add in the exterior lockbox (for a typical 21st century home w/o garage) and yes, I do believe it will be around $200. Add CoC permitting fees (~$150) if you care for insurance coverage and/or labour if you can't figure out how to drill a hole through a foundation wall.

I can do it myself (probably), but I don't know what the CoC electrical permitting process is like or if they need to see a residential load calculation, etc etc.

The CoC permitting process is fairly easy if you're installing it yourself. What you need is a Homeowner Electrical Permit for ~$150 from the City: https://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/Home-building-and-renovations/Homeowner-trades-permits.aspx
There will be 1-2 inspections and you will only require a residential load calc if you are running more than a 40A breaker on a 100A panel, which would then also likely require a disconnect switch. Most new builds will have a 200A panel though...

The_Rural_Juror
10-17-2019, 05:28 PM
I am going to lose 20k supercharger miles soon...urgh.

Super_Geo
10-17-2019, 10:27 PM
Crazy, in the past couple days the SR+ went up by $1000 and the range went from 386km to 402km (240mi to 250mi for the US version).
Not sure if they upped the battery pack from 54kWh, or software efficiency gains, or just a different EPA/measurement methodology?

heavyD
10-18-2019, 08:10 AM
The range anxiety (I'm one of those people that gets antsy when my tank drops below 1/4) isn't worth it for me and having to plan holidays around charging stations seems counterintuitive to vacationing and relaxing. I'm perfectly happy to enjoy the golden age of ICE vehicles until rages improve and we have the proper infrastructure.

benyl
10-18-2019, 10:26 AM
Infrastructure is being built everyday. Petro Canada stations are getting L2 chargers in many locations. I can charge at work, so I'm not worried. We will keep one ICE car for travel to places without adequate infrastructure.

flipstah
10-18-2019, 10:49 AM
Here's a quick summary of the "three" Model 3's that qualifies for the federal incentive:
$44,999+GST | "Under the table/order in store" | SR (not +) | software limited to 150km range
~$50,000+GST | SR (again, not +) | 385km range | no premium interior (no upgraded stereo, no LTE data, no rear heated seats, etc)
$54,999+GST | SR+ | 385km range | premium interior (see above)

Let me know if you want a drive in mine. I'm open to letting anyone driving the car to show it's performance abilities. Forget the whole Greta sustainability hipster idea with EVs; it's the surprising performance out of these cars that gets me out of bed every morning!

I totally remember you driving me to my place in your B16 Si, going down Deerfoot, showing me what VTEC sounds like. Can't believe that was 13 years ago!

Pre-Jan 2017 (or was it Nov 2016?) Model S and Model X's had unlimited free supercharging that was transferable to future owners. Tesla allowed a very limited group of Model 3 Performances, as well as a small selection of post-Jun'ish 2019 *new* Model S/X's, to also get free unlimited supercharging (for first-owner only). The Model 3 Performance owners were then given a one-time refund of $5k USD ($6,6k CAD) if they want to give up their free supercharging, but I held on to my offering. We tend to do a lot of roadtrips so I figured I'd keep it.

Battery tech has already improved between the Model S/X's vs the Model 3s and upcoming Model Ys. I can link you to very techy articles about batteries but the future is already here!

If you can, please do. Would love to read more about it!

My main concern is the lifespan of the battery and the replacement costs of it. I'd assume it's the same cost as an engine replacement? The Petro Canada announcement made my other travel worry not a worry.

pheoxs
10-18-2019, 11:00 AM

My main concern is the lifespan of the battery and the replacement costs of it. I'd assume it's the same cost as an engine replacement? The Petro Canada announcement made my other travel worry not a worry.

The battery comes with a 8 year, 160k warranty that says it’ll have at least 70% retention of capacity so that shouldn’t really be a worry

mo_money2supe
10-18-2019, 11:06 AM

Watch the video from the OP in this thread and read the entire thread (warning: grab a strong cup of joe to keep you awake!). Most of your questions/concerns will be answered in this one thread alone.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/battery-degradation-scientifically-explained.153074/

But to answer directly your comment about replacement costs, back in 2012 when the S first came out, rumour was that battery replacements would be in the magnitude of $40k USD or more! Six years later when the Model 3 came out, the S's actual battery replacements were more like $20k USD. Keep in mind that by this time, the S's were still under the 8 yr warranty period. Rumour moving forward is, by the time the 2018 Model 3 battery's 8 yr warranty period is over, the batteries will be closer to $5k USD. Time will tell but I can accept those numbers. Besides, just 'cause a battery has degradation in that time period does not make it non-useable. One can always repurpose the EV's batteries for home power storage (eg. storing electrons from a solar panel for example) because the house's power storage would never require the full 100% capacity at any given point since it will always be "charging" via solar anyway. That said, I have no intention of getting solar anytime soon so that home storage benefit may not actually be a benefit to me (at least not at this current point in time).

Super_Geo
10-18-2019, 11:37 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that battery costs are falling rapidly year over year.
In 5-7 years if you need to replace your battery pack, you can throw something with more capacity and cheaper than it costs today.
I think that's what makes Tesla's warranty on them pretty genius, actually.

Also, Tesla's recent battery acquisitions are rolling out a 1million mile battery design.

https://data.bloomberglp.com/professional/sites/24/Capture2.jpg

rage2
10-18-2019, 12:53 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that battery costs are falling rapidly year over year.
In 5-7 years if you need to replace your battery pack, you can throw something with more capacity and cheaper than it costs today.
I think that's what makes Tesla's warranty on them pretty genius, actually.
Go ask a Roadster owner if that's true. Or if Tesla will even make it for them.

Regardless it's a moot point, the battery degradation is pretty minimal compared to the life of an ICE car anyways. The only concern with battery is progress, and depreciation because of it. You're buying leading edge shit right now.

dj_rice
10-18-2019, 06:19 PM
https://globalnews.ca/news/6052028/edmonton-man-mischief-charge-video-tesla-vandalism/

Dumbass turned himself in. Austin Grabas 20.
The 20-year-old said he had been cut off Friday night by a black sedan and, when he saw Leung’s black vehicle Saturday, he thought it was the same vehicle.

I don't believe his BS story. If there was no cameras recording him, he wouldn't have turned himself in. Not to mention the owner of the vehicle works for Global News so that helped getting the word out.

benyl
10-18-2019, 09:44 PM
Picked up today. Only got to drive it 3kms before dropping it off at Shadow Tinting for Saran Wrap.

Kids like the car more than me.
Found some paint defects.

benyl
10-18-2019, 09:45 PM
Getting them to fix it.

shakalaka
10-18-2019, 09:45 PM
^Congrats! Looks great.

KPHMPH
10-18-2019, 10:04 PM
Shawdow? Boooo, should have went to Ultimate Auto Protection!

never
10-19-2019, 12:41 AM
It’d be better with grey wheels!

;)

ExtraSlow
10-19-2019, 06:18 AM
Looks fun benyl. Enjoy the shit out of it.

heavyD
10-19-2019, 07:43 AM
White interior with kids. You are a brave man.

benyl
10-19-2019, 07:50 AM
Daughter spilt hot chocolate even before we pulled out. Hahahaha

shakalaka
10-19-2019, 09:30 AM

My kid would get disowned right there. lol.

dj_rice
10-19-2019, 09:35 AM

LOL take it to Detailed Solutions, they can Ceramic coat your interior

01RedDX
10-19-2019, 09:47 AM

The_Rural_Juror
10-19-2019, 10:07 AM
Congrats Benyl! Looks great! What were they fixing? The white interior is apparently quite stain resistant. Shadow Tint did a great job with mine! They're effin' great!

Thanks for the heads up, 01RedDX.

I looked at Enmax for solar a few months ago. Even with unobstructed south facing panels, the efficiencies were poor and payback period was about 13 years (not counting maintenance and degradation).

benyl
10-19-2019, 11:28 AM
Enmax covering up to 75% of home EV charger installation.

https://www.enmax.com/ev?utm_content=today%2C_enmax_launches_cha&utm_medium=ENMAXsocial&utm_source=facebook

Limited time program, home owners only.

Yeah, signed up for it.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL take it to Detailed Solutions, they can Ceramic coat your interior

It’s vegan leather. :dunno:

Would Greta approve?

The_Rural_Juror
10-19-2019, 12:33 PM
Your vehicle runs on coal. Therefore Greta hates you.

benyl
10-19-2019, 12:39 PM
Making Canadian Coal Greta again.

Oops, did I typo that? :dunno:

Super_Geo
10-19-2019, 06:26 PM
Enmax covering up to 75% of home EV charger installation.

https://www.enmax.com/ev?utm_content=today%2C_enmax_launches_cha&utm_medium=ENMAXsocial&utm_source=facebook

Limited time program, home owners only.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing, signing up!

Super_Geo
10-19-2019, 07:05 PM
Interesting points on the Enmax subsidy:

1. Participation in the ENMAX Charge Up Pilot Program is determined on a first‐come, first‐served basis within each city
quadrant (SW, SE, NW, NE). If all the spots in the ENMAX Charge Up Pilot Program are full, new applicants will be placed on
the wait list and will be added to the ENMAX Charge Up Pilot Program on a first‐come, first‐served basis if additional spots
become open. ENMAX aims to award an even number of Reimbursements in each city quadrant but reserves the right to
award spots in any city quadrant based on demand.

3. Participant must purchase an Electric Vehicle Charger from Participant’s choice of one of ENMAX’s qualified vendors and
supply ENMAX with proof of purchase. The qualified Electric Vehicle Charger models will be supplied to Applicant at the
time of enrollment and Participant will purchase one of the qualified Electric Vehicle Chargers from one of the following
qualified vendors:
a. Flo Services Inc.
b. Foreseeson Technology Inc.
c. Virtuoso Energy

6. ENMAX will reimburse Participant 75% of the total combined cost of:
a. an Electric Vehicle Charger purchased by Participant from a supplier listed in Appendix “A”; and
b. related Electric Vehicle Charger installation costs under the ENMAX Charge Up Pilot Program,
up to a maximum total reimbursement of $1500 CDN. ENMAX will only reimburse related Electric Vehicle Charger
installation costs to have the Electric Vehicle Charger installed and will explicitly exclude any work to utility owned assets.

9. ENMAX will not issue the Reimbursement until the Electric Vehicle Charger has been installed, ENMAX has confirmed access
to the Participant’s Electric Vehicle Charger Data and Participant has provided ENMAX with any requested documentation.

So they're essentially funding a pilot study. Get a bunch of these out there, they get access to all of your charging patterns, and then can use that data to prepare for the ramp up of EVs in years to come.

mo_money2supe
10-21-2019, 09:46 AM
Congrats on the the delivery Benyl - you'll love it! Just be sure to pick up some winters right away as those PS4S tires are literally pucks on ice. That first snow dump we had in Oct. 2018 caught me off guard and within some 3 weeks of ownership, I ripped off the front lip on mine sliding into a snow drift pile. :facepalm:

benyl
10-21-2019, 11:03 AM
Does the current standard auto-pilot have lane change? Or is that only in FSD with NOA?

mo_money2supe
10-21-2019, 11:23 AM
Does the current standard auto-pilot have lane change? Or is that only in FSD with NOA?

Only the old "Enhanced Auto Pilot" (EAP) came with lane change when on NOA; not so with the new basic "Auto Pilot" (AP). I have the old EAP and I personally don't find the NOA all that useful, unless that is, I were in the States driving on an unknown Interstate. Besides, NOA is only functional when you have a destination selected anyway so most of them time when on (E)AP, it's never in use.

rage2
10-21-2019, 12:21 PM
It doesn't. That comes with FSD. It's a party trick anyways, I've completely stopped using mine.

benyl
10-21-2019, 07:57 PM
Progress pics. They’ve moved so fast that I missed most of it.

Jlude
10-21-2019, 08:47 PM
Looks good - how is the paint?

benyl
10-21-2019, 08:54 PM
Only 1 speck of dirt in the paint they’ve found so far. Above the metal model 3 door sill on the drivers side. Otherwise better than most of the Teslas they have had come through. Guess I got lucky.

killramos
10-21-2019, 08:55 PM
Matte helps a bunch with that car. Especially on the white.

Jlude
10-22-2019, 10:37 AM
Only 1 speck of dirt in the paint they’ve found so far. Above the metal model 3 door sill on the drivers side. Otherwise better than most of the Teslas they have had come through. Guess I got lucky.

I think the paint quality is just hit or miss, mine was really good and the fit was surprisingly good. Did you end up getting a upgraded charging setup done at home?

benyl
10-22-2019, 10:45 AM
Nope. We are thinking of moving.

I can charge at work. 110v at home, plus supercharger, ikea, chinook, and other places will make up the difference.

rage2
10-22-2019, 11:32 AM
Nope. We are thinking of moving.

I can charge at work. 110v at home, plus supercharger, ikea, chinook, and other places will make up the difference.
Asian genetics is strong. lol @ 110v. Good luck with that.

pheoxs
10-22-2019, 11:44 AM
lol @ 110v. Good luck with that.

Even 110V@15A would be decent. You get what, 5-8 km per hour of charge. For a typical workday commute that should be lots. 10 hours of charging gets 50-80kms. I'd bet very few people in Calgary have that as a commute round trip (ignoring all the airdrie/cochrane/okotoks peeps). Enough to make it through the week and then hit a supercharger to top it up on the weekend maybe. Not great but it's doable with some small life adjustments.

The_Rural_Juror
10-22-2019, 12:02 PM
Asian genetics is strong. lol @ 110v. Good luck with that.

Have to pay at Chinook now. :(

rage2
10-22-2019, 12:10 PM
Even 110V@15A would be decent. You get what, 5-8 km per hour of charge. For a typical workday commute that should be lots. 10 hours of charging gets 50-80kms. I'd bet very few people in Calgary have that as a commute round trip (ignoring all the airdrie/cochrane/okotoks peeps). Enough to make it through the week and then hit a supercharger to top it up on the weekend maybe. Not great but it's doable with some small life adjustments.
I know benyl's commute. That won't work, especially in winter. But if he gets free charging at work it might be OK, depending on how cold it is outside as it's not (AFAIK) a heated lot.

dimi
10-22-2019, 12:14 PM
If the car is plugged in @ 110V, and you preheat the battery/car, will it drain the battery or just stop charging periodically?

The_Rural_Juror
10-22-2019, 12:29 PM
If the car is plugged in @ 110V, and you preheat the battery/car, will it drain the battery or just stop charging periodically?

I found them to be about even with the interior heater on. The heater doesn't need to be on for long though.