PDA

View Full Version : Anyone rent a truck to tow their trailer????

370Z
10-24-2019, 12:17 AM
I've been stressing lately about what to get for a my next winter vehicle because it has to be able to tow our trailer in the summers... which really limits my options in terms of finding something both cheap and fun. So a thought came to mind, why not just rent a truck to tow (3500lb trailer)? Is this even allowed by the rental companies? I'm thinking maybe insurance reasons?

killramos
10-24-2019, 06:02 AM
I've been stressing lately about what to get for a my next winter vehicle because it has to be able to tow our trailer in the summers... which really limits my options in terms of finding something both cheap and fun. So a thought came to mind, why not just rent a truck to tow (3500lb trailer)? Is this even allowed by the rental companies? I'm thinking maybe insurance reasons?

Paging ExtraSlow

Notably if you search this has been discussed

ExtraSlow
10-24-2019, 06:08 AM
Virtually all rental agreements specifically state that towing is not allowed. Violating that rental agreement means you have no insurance. You cannot buy insurance for a rented vehicle as a private individual.

Buisinesses do it, but also have very different risk and insurance situations.

I went through all this a couple of summers back.

If your trailer is truly only 3500lbs, there's lots of SUV's that can do it. Some of them are even nice. I reccomend the Navigator because it's awesome.

Tik-Tok
10-24-2019, 06:51 AM
I wonder if credit card rental vehicle insurance covers it?

ExtraSlow
10-24-2019, 06:52 AM

Mine specifically DOES NOT cover a pickup truck. I'm told that's very common. Also cannot cover your trailer.

killramos
10-24-2019, 07:25 AM

Or if you have explicit coverage for rental vehicles from your standard insurance company.

370Z
10-24-2019, 07:33 AM
Hmm I'll have to check with TDMM, not sure what the big deal is with them though, I have both rental insurance that covers even a moving van on top of insurance for my trailer.

Sorry, Extraslow Haha I'd rather take the bus than drive a Lincoln Navigator OR a truck in general. Ideally I'd like my second vehicle to be something like an SRT8 or X5M... but I guess beggars can't be choosers if I can't rent a truck for towing.

ThePenIsMightier
10-24-2019, 07:34 AM
Mine specifically DOES NOT cover a pickup truck. I'm told that's very common. Also cannot cover your trailer.

DaFuq?!¿!!
What credit card and how does I looks this up? I never would've guessed that.

killramos
10-24-2019, 07:44 AM
Owns a trailer. Hates trucks and real SUV’s.

Makes sense.

ExtraSlow
10-24-2019, 07:53 AM
DaFuq?!¿!!

It's a pretty regular premium travel rewards credit card, and I'm told that exclusion is common. You'd need to read the agreement, which almost nobody does. I went though a really similar thought process a couple of years ago, so I expended a lot of effort on this question. Anyone who feel like going through the same amount of effort is welcome to. The conclusion I came to was that there was no possible way for me to rent a truck or any vehicle that was equipped for towing and capable of towing my trailer and to have coverage on the rented vehicle plus my trailer as it was going down the road. It's possible the OP's situation is different.

370Z
10-24-2019, 09:16 AM
Owns a trailer. Hates trucks and real SUV’s.

Makes sense.

Haha I was actually looking at a Volvo S60 because I heard they're decent tow-ers

corsvette
10-24-2019, 09:19 AM
Driving Force will rent you a truck to tow a trailer. I rented one from them years back to tow my 5th wheel when my POS Ford Diesel crapped out.

mzdspd
10-24-2019, 09:24 AM
DaFuq?!¿!!

I have Scotiabank travel card, Capital one costco card and Ctire elite card and all 3 of them specifically say that they do not cover pick up truck rentals.

Brent.ff
10-24-2019, 09:35 AM
Ive definitely rented from Enterprise Trucks with the pure intent to tow for work, and they included the tow package and hitch ball..

killramos
10-24-2019, 09:36 AM
Driving Force will rent you a truck to tow a trailer. I rented one from them years back to tow my 5th wheel when my POS Ford Diesel crapped out.

I mentioned this last time but ES made it sound like your mileage may vary.

My brother did this also when he insisted on a rental that could tow his trailer when his truck was in the shop for repairs.

ExtraSlow
10-24-2019, 09:41 AM
I did all the research I am willing to do on the subject. I know people HAVE done it, but when I looked into it, as a private individual, there was no way to do with WITH active insurance on the vehicle. I wasn't willing to drive a vehicle without full insurance. It's possible there are specific situations where you can, or that I'm wrong entirely. I went down a different, and much more entertaining path with my constant flipping of high-mileage tow rigs.

spike98
10-24-2019, 12:31 PM

Driving Force will rent you a truck for you to tow a NON RECREATIONAL trailer. A 5th wheel or Travel Trailer designed for human occupancy is still prohibited. This is the driving force policy yet some CSR's don't know that.

ThePenIsMightier
10-24-2019, 12:50 PM
I have Scotiabank travel card, Capital one costco card and Ctire elite card and all 3 of them specifically say that they do not cover pick up truck rentals.

If be interested if someone could confirm the WestJet MasterCard status.

killramos
10-24-2019, 01:00 PM
My RBC infinite privilege Avion also excludes trucks.

Also Vans, off road vehicles, limos, motorcycles, buses, Aston Martins ( yup specifically listed lol ), or any car that’s part hand made or less than 2500 made a year. Lots of other exclusions too.

mzdspd
10-24-2019, 01:06 PM
If be interested if someone could confirm the WestJet MasterCard status.

According to there insurance cert..

The following vehicles are NOT covered:
1. Vans, cargo vans or mini cargo vans (other than mini-vans);
2. Trucks, pick-up trucks or any vehicle that can be spontaneously reconfigured
into a pick-up truck);

https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/credit-cards/travel/westjet-rbc-mastercard/westjet-rbc-mastercard-certificate-of-insurance.pdf

4WARNED
10-25-2019, 09:07 AM
I'll second the comment about Enterprise.
i called them specifically with the intent of hauling my race car trailer - they provided me with a Ram 3500 to get the job done. In fact, they picked me up and went over how to hook up the trailer on my driveway (lol - thanks guys but i've got it).
Get ahold of the Enterprise fleet rental - don't call the local neighbourhood branch - they will tell you that towing isn't allowed.

Tik-Tok
10-25-2019, 09:18 AM

into a pick-up truck);

https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/credit-cards/travel/westjet-rbc-mastercard/westjet-rbc-mastercard-certificate-of-insurance.pdf

Yeah, exact same wording on my CIBC Aerogold Visa. Probably the same underwriter.

Also on mine:

8. Vehicles towing or propelling trailers or any other object;

So can't use a rental SUV to tow either.

370Z
10-25-2019, 11:27 AM
I think I'm just going to suck it up and get something boring as hell to drive but will get the job done and get us around safely and reliably. I'm turning 40 next year, I think that will be the point in my life where I start doing sensible things.

ExtraSlow
10-25-2019, 02:31 PM
Buy a beater truck. I'm selling one . . . 15K beyond price.

G-ZUS
10-25-2019, 02:32 PM
Buy a beater truck. I'm selling one . . . 15K beyond price.

Pffft ill sell him one for 3k

ExtraSlow
10-25-2019, 02:53 PM
Pffft ill sell him one for 3k

Mines the nicest beater around.

pheoxs
10-25-2019, 03:13 PM
DaFuq?!¿!!

Our corporate cards are the same as this. If we rent a SUV or smaller then the CC covers it and we decline enterprise's insurnace, but if we rent a truck we are told to pay the additional fee through enterprise for the insurance.

@OP Use driving force pretty sure they allow towing

ExtraSlow
10-25-2019, 04:28 PM
Someone read the driving force rental agreement and respond back. I'll admit I never read the fine print with that company.

taemo
10-28-2019, 11:56 AM

into a pick-up truck);

Yup, all my CC with rental insurance is like that, also watch out for vehicles worth more than $65,000 CDN.
Rogers, TD, RBC, Home Trust

I sometimes rent cars and SUVs whenever I have to go to the field or travel and if I see they 'upgraded' me to a pick-up truck I request for something else.

revelations
10-28-2019, 12:58 PM
Does Home Depot not allow trucks and trailers (together) to be rented?

370Z
10-28-2019, 01:01 PM
Does Home Depot not allow trucks and trailers (together) to be rented?

Yes, but I'm looking for a place that will rent me a truck to tow our camper on vacation.

killramos
10-28-2019, 01:34 PM
Do you have any friends with Trucks that never use them ( I mean it’s calgary... ) who might be inclined to swap vehicles for the weekend for beer money?

I think the crux is if you need to tow often then you need to buy a proper tow vehicle (duh, but this is clearly not that obvious) but if it’s once a month or something maybe borrowing a good friends truck is an option here.

I feel like I know enough people with trucks that I could manage this.

revelations
10-28-2019, 01:37 PM
Yes, but I'm looking for a place that will rent me a truck to tow our camper on vacation.

Im certainly no expert - but surely they have truck rentals for long term (long weekend, week) use.

Edit - cancel that:

HD website: FAQ

Do your rental trucks hook up to the trailers?
No. We do not rent vehicles that can tow trailers.

SOAB
10-30-2019, 08:31 AM
Do you have any friends with Trucks that never use them ( I mean it’s calgary... ) who might be inclined to swap vehicles for the weekend for beer money?

I think the crux is if you need to tow often then you need to buy a proper tow vehicle (duh, but this is clearly not that obvious) but if it’s once a month or something maybe borrowing a good friends truck is an option here.

I feel like I know enough people with trucks that I could manage this.

if you're towing a travel trailer once a month, go buy a truck. there's no way I'm loaning out my truck to a friend to tow their trailer. not owning a truck also means inexperience towing and backing up. the risk of damage to my truck would be too high. I would rather help them tow it once but after that, they're on their own.

killramos
10-30-2019, 08:36 AM
if you're towing a travel trailer once a month, go buy a truck. there's no way I'm loaning out my truck to a friend to tow their trailer. not owning a truck also means inexperience towing and backing up. the risk of damage to my truck would be too high. I would rather help them tow it once but after that, they're on their own.

We are far from the realm of logic, was just suggesting another solution. If someone (good friend or family) borrowed my truck once a month I personally wouldn’t be vexed, as for damage thats what insurance is for I try not to let such things bother me.

Xtrema
10-30-2019, 08:59 AM
DaFuq?!¿!!

Most standard CC coverage doesn't cover trucks/off road vehicle and has a price ceiling. I remember a story about a lady rolled a Nissan Armada because that's all the rental company got and it's a free upgrade. End up MSRP is over $65K and CC denied coverage. She has to pay that one out of pocket.

That's the dangerous part with CC coverage as it's not hard to get a giant SUV that's over that MSRP cap.