PDA

View Full Version : How do I finish this basement window?

GoChris
10-28-2019, 12:16 PM
So I have this basement window, the drywall was finished around it except for the bottom. Hindsight what it is, sure perhaps I should have got it finished all around, but that ship has sailed so looking for ways to move forward.

I was told I should finish it with wood, but how? I can cut a piece to fit but that won't make a nice join with the wall underneath. Am I forced to put casing around it? I didn't really want casing around the basement windows. So how do I make a clean join with the wall, should the wood not be flush with the wall? Please help a construction/finisher noob out.

https://i.imgur.com/32YLCzi.jpg

GOnSHO
10-28-2019, 12:50 PM
technically you could put a piece of drywall in, used a piece of corner bead, mud, tape, sand and paint.

To get a nice finish against the window, you can what they did on the sides with looks to be a schluter style piece or just use a small piece of corner casing.

revelations
10-28-2019, 12:55 PM
Get something thats non-organic, or otherwise non-water absorbing on that. With water and condensation a possibility I would not use drywall for eg. (although its common). I just did my basement window the same.

firebane
10-28-2019, 01:02 PM
Don't recommend drywall. It will absorb moisture and you'll either have flaking paint or bad drywall.

They did this to a window we have in the basement and the paint is all cracking and peeling.

GoChris
10-28-2019, 01:05 PM
technically you could put a piece of drywall in, used a piece of corner bead, mud, tape, sand and paint.

To get a nice finish against the window, you can what they did on the sides with looks to be a schluter style piece or just use a small piece of corner casing.

Too late for drywall and don't want to do that for condensation/water reasons.

Get something thats non-organic, or otherwise non-water absorbing on that. With water and condensation a possibility I would not use drywall for eg. (although its common). I just did my basement window the same.

Yup, that's the plan, just trying to figure that plan out.

suntan
10-28-2019, 01:23 PM
Marine grade plywood.

firebane
10-28-2019, 01:32 PM
Marine grade plywood.

Yeah and spend a bit of time and you put some paint on it and it'll look good.

GOnSHO
10-28-2019, 01:57 PM
the marine grade plywood is best option for sure. only suggested drywall as he said he didnt want to do casing around the window.

arcticcat522
10-28-2019, 06:32 PM
Plywood or 1 x (depth) pine. You can make it look seamless with some Dap (caulk). Cut it to length and lay it in the opening to make the base the same depth as the opening. Spend some time and you will have it lookin' good

AndyL
10-28-2019, 07:45 PM
Thin piece of sealed butcher block and make a shelf.

GoChris
10-29-2019, 11:21 AM
Ya I might have to put casing around it, but might look dumb with the other 3 sides being just drywall, since I'm not doing a full wood box insert. I went to windsor plywood and they recommended a piece of Medex, like a water proof MDF basically. https://www.roseburg.com/Product/medex/
I'm hoping I could just cut to fit, then maybe caulk as mentioned or even putty, sand, and paint the join? I already painted the walls though, but worst case I paint a bunch of it again to blend, it's fresh so probably easy to blend I'd think.