PDA

View Full Version : Selling older vehicle, will it need inspection? Title still active.

mr2mike
11-04-2019, 12:19 PM
Just wondering if my 16 year old vehicle will need an inspection when next owner takes possession of it?
It is currently registered and insured in Alberta.

Thanks.

Ca_Silvia13
11-04-2019, 12:25 PM
Yes, while it depends on the insurance company most require inspections for vehicles over 10 or 12 years old.

revelations
11-04-2019, 12:28 PM
I believe mine only requires it if I was getting collision coverage.

G-ZUS
11-04-2019, 12:34 PM
Some insurance co's will ask for it for anything more than liability. It's the buyers responsibility

spikerS
11-04-2019, 12:55 PM
in the past, I was asked to get an inspection for every vehicle I tried to insure that was older than 15 years. Even one that I drove, then rebuilt, then tried to drive again.

- - - Updated - - -

Some insurance co's will ask for it for anything more than liability. It's the buyers responsibility

correct, however, if you can provide one to the buyer from a reputable shop, it serves as an incentive to the buyer. But then you will get people like me that will be super skeptical about it being legit, and still get one done anyways.

ThePenIsMightier
11-04-2019, 12:58 PM
"Insurance Inspection" is likely and they are a joke. It's nothing like passing an OoP.
There will be members here that are qualified to perform it.

Misterman
11-04-2019, 01:01 PM
"Insurance Inspection" is likely and they are a joke. It's nothing like passing an OoP.
There will be members here that are qualified to perform it.

This. Anyone with a mechanics ticket can sign these. I normally do them for pretty cheap, but I'm not in your area.

ExtraSlow
11-04-2019, 01:06 PM
It's nice of you have a current inspection already done. Not all buyer will trust it, but some will, and it removes one possible objection.

revelations
11-04-2019, 01:25 PM
This. Anyone with a mechanics ticket can sign these. I normally do them for pretty cheap, but I'm not in your area.

HAha - I found a guy off kijiji who did this for 50$.

He stopped by, we shot the shit about cars for 5 min and I gave him 50$ and he gave me the signed inspection sheet. At no point was there any inspection done.

He did say that the province cracked down HARD on shops doing shit OOPs and some of the vehicles out of these shops had their reg. revoked until re inspection.

Andy643
11-04-2019, 01:32 PM
Going through this right now. 2004 Grand Prix.
Insured with Intact. Any vehicle 12 year or older needs an insurance inspection for them. Shop I went to was $153.
Had to fix some stupid shit like rear sway bar end links, rear pads and rotors.

Should be all signed off on tomorrow.

mr2mike
11-04-2019, 01:48 PM
Thanks for replies. Good to know.

I just worry mine won't pass due to rust on rear quarter panel.
It's not bad on the frame underneath and mechanically, it is well kept.

ExtraSlow
11-04-2019, 01:51 PM
That will pass an insurance inspection. But make sure your wipers aren't streaky and windshield isn't cracked. Or just find someone who has a more relaxed attitude like mentioned above.

pheoxs
11-04-2019, 01:53 PM
Thanks for replies. Good to know.

I just worry mine won't pass due to rust on rear quarter panel.
It's not bad on the frame underneath and mechanically, it is well kept.

It'll 100% pass a safety inspection just fine ... heck there are mechanics and kijiji that will pass a safety inspection without even seeing the car.... it's a complete joke. That being said if they take it to Canadian tire or some other big chain they'll probably try to say its unsafe to make you do a bunch of work on the car. The whole system is a joke (even bigger when you look at how strict out of province ones are in comparison ... its kinda silly).

If you want to be 100% safe just find a kijiji mechanic and take it now, get the safety done and ask them to leave the name off of it but fill in the VIN and everything else. Then you can just have the buyer write in their name and it's done. Most companies just want a recent inspection done in the last few months.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-04-2019, 02:09 PM
I used to pay a tech a crisp $20 to lay their signature on my inspection sheet for me, however I would never ask them to do it if I had something that was obviously unsafe or shitty.

Masked Bandit
11-05-2019, 02:37 PM
Insurance inspections are becoming common again and it has nothing whatsoever to do with safety. Once upon a time it was common practice that anything over 10-12 years old (depended on company) would need a safety inspection but from about 2008ish until roughly a year ago the industry as a whole was moving away from requiring them. Some companies moved their age requirements out to 15-20 years and some companies did away with them all together. Then about a year ago we started seeing more and more underwriters asking for them. Now insurance companies have always had the right to ask for an inspection on anything over 12 years but it really hasn't been enforced until lately. The pendulum is swinging all the way to the other side now and companies are using it as a tool to reduce their exposure to older vehicles. Why? Because, per 1000 vehicles over 12 years of age or older you get more under 25 drivers, new Canadians and people with low incomes. All of these categories produce worse than average claims statistics so the companies are using this as a tool to try and make some of these people go elsewhere. Of course that doesn't mean every person with an old car is an insurance problem, but it's just one potential indicator.

Good luck trying to sell that reality to the general public!

05-26-2020, 11:32 AM
Bump

I just found out that this is a thing now. Looking for a recommendation to a mechanic to get this done.
Thanks

Masked Bandit
05-26-2020, 01:41 PM
Bump

I just found out that this is a thing now. Looking for a recommendation to a mechanic to get this done.
Thanks

Has your insurance company specifically told you that you need to submit an inspection? I ask because all of our companies have paused asking them, they figured it was poor taste to expect people to go out more frequently than needed due to Covid.

05-26-2020, 02:33 PM
Has your insurance company specifically told you that you need to submit an inspection? I ask because all of our companies have paused asking them, they figured it was poor taste to expect people to go out more frequently than needed due to Covid.

I asked my broker and he said that it’s required on any vehicle 12yrs and older. This is with pembridge insurance.

bjstare
05-26-2020, 04:10 PM
Jackie @ balance auto garage.

ThePenIsMightier
05-26-2020, 06:11 PM

CoVid bonus extra play extended life - 1ups!!!

Masked Bandit
05-27-2020, 02:38 PM
I asked my broker and he said that it’s required on any vehicle 12yrs and older. This is with pembridge insurance.

BULLSHIT HAS BEEN CALLED!

We write with Pembridge and they quit asking for them in the middle of March. Your BROKER is probably wanting it but Pembridge isn't forcing anything. At best Pembridge might want one come renewal time assuming the world has un-fucked itself but as of this moment they aren't forcing the issue.

CoVid bonus extra play extended life - 1ups!!!

NO REP FOR YOU!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ThePenIsMightier again.

G-ZUS
05-27-2020, 02:44 PM
BULLSHIT HAS BEEN CALLED!

We write with Pembridge and they quit asking for them in the middle of March. Your BROKER is probably wanting it but Pembridge isn't forcing anything. At best Pembridge might want one come renewal time assuming the world has un-fucked itself but as of this moment they aren't forcing the issue.

Nothing worse than having a shitty insurance broker :guns:

05-27-2020, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the info, I sent you a Pm Masked bandit