PDA

View Full Version : What kind of car scam is this?

rx7boi
11-04-2019, 10:49 PM
Saw an Autotrader ad for a guy selling a 2012 Acura TL SH AWD with 146k clicks for $3000. First red flag but then again, there are diamonds in the rough.

He says he's out of country and that a delivery person will meet me at a location of my choosing with the car. Says something about power of attorney, having all the documents on meeting day such as registration, copy of DL, and all maintenance records but needs my full name, phone #, and when/where to meet I'd like to meet.

Any idea how a scam like this might work?

370Z
11-04-2019, 11:12 PM
They rob you of your $3000 when you get there?

rx7boi
11-04-2019, 11:20 PM
Haha, that's what I thought as well. Doing it the good ol' fashion way.

Google reverse image show nothing. Pics of his car don't even look local.

revelations
11-04-2019, 11:20 PM
Saw an Autotrader ad for a guy selling a 2012 Acura TL SH AWD with 146k clicks for $3000. First red flag but then again, there are diamonds in the rough.

He says he's out of country and that a delivery person will meet me at a location of my choosing with the car. Says something about power of attorney, having all the documents on meeting day such as registration, copy of DL, and all maintenance records but needs my full name, phone #, and when/where to meet I'd like to meet.

Any idea how a scam like this might work?

Yea, takes a week or two for a stolen vehicle work through the system in AB. Move a car quick and you can bank the $$.

If they are willing to meet in front of a cop shop, I would try this. Most of these assclowns get jitters anywhere near the police.

ThePenIsMightier
11-04-2019, 11:33 PM
The car doesn't exist.
You'll be strung along for a bit until they ask for the shipping money up front and because he's such a good Nigerian Prince, he will agree to sell you the car for only $1800 for your inconvenience.

Misterman
11-05-2019, 05:32 AM
Jesus. This 15 year old scam still exists? I think there is different ways they can pull this off IIRC. Like they either get you to wire the money sight unseen, which some people will do because the price is so good. Then you just never hear from them again. Or just get you to send a deposit, which you think is fine because you'll get it back if it's not as advertised, and then you never hear from them again.

rx7boi
11-05-2019, 06:07 PM
I entertained the guy with a couple of back and forths and told him we could meet at the Nose Hill police station this Saturday.

He actually replied today and said "sure meet me there tonight" so I asked if he was flying back in from the country tonight to meet :rofl:

Ended up signing his gmail up to Run Mailbait for shits and giggles to round off this interaction.