PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Gets $1B for Transit

davidI
03-30-2004, 12:23 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/storyview/MSN/2004/03/30/ttc_040330

Good to see that the West has been passed over again. Sounds like the liberals are stepping up their pre-election spending as well after they promised not to. :rolleyes:

Gonthro
03-30-2004, 12:29 PM
aww, thats sad, they have the countries oldest subway...

ATLEAST THEY HAVE A FREAKIN SUBWAY!!!

:bullshit:

and the federal govt isn't picthing them a billion, its 350 mill from the federal, provincial and municipal

but its still more than we get

RickDaTuner
03-30-2004, 12:31 PM
exactly why does calgary need a Subway?

Gonthro
03-30-2004, 12:33 PM
because our train system interrupting downtown traffic is stupid... and it wouldn't take up valueble development space for expansion it can run under roads and such.

and its much faster because it dont have to deal with vehicular traffic

davidI
03-30-2004, 12:44 PM
I think we need to expand the transit system before worrying about a Subway. I think roads are the bigger issue though and new overpasses must be built. It's just sad that the feds don't seem to want to kick us any money. Hopefully the scandal gets the liberals ousted.

Shaolin
03-30-2004, 12:45 PM
from the way it looks now, calgary's just going to be building more and more overpasses and ring roads.. i don't see money throwing into the transportation system anytime soon.. I'll probably be retired by the time i see the C-Train extend to Richmond Hill. But I bet we'll have roads galore.

EDIT: During a golf game this guy was telling me that subway tunnels are already dug in Calgary.. can anyone verify that? :dunno:

sputnik
03-30-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
exactly why does calgary need a Subway?

Have you ever been on the CTrain?

I dont think we need an underground system (except for maybe downtown). But we could really use $1B to bring the CTrain out to the West and SE areas in Calgary.

mo_virgin
03-30-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin
from the way it looks now, calgary's just going to be building more and more overpasses and ring roads.. i don't see money throwing into the transportation system anytime soon.. I'll probably be retired by the time i see the C-Train extend to Richmond Hill. But I bet we'll have roads galore.

EDIT: During a golf game this guy was telling me that subway tunnels are already dug in Calgary.. can anyone verify that? :dunno:

I highly doubt that... i don't think our city planners were that good. There is a proposal that when we pay of our debt we can put the money we make (surplus) to a high speed train from Calgary to Edmonton... i think its a good idea. They say calgary to edmonton in 45 min.

davidI
03-30-2004, 01:09 PM
The way Calgary, Red Deer and Edmonton are set-up I think that would be very smart. Obviously it depends on the costs but I guarantee it would boost Red Deers economy!

sputnik
03-30-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin

I dont know if they have been physically dug or not but...

The tunnels have been designed and planned... if you notice the tunnel that is between stampede park and downtown has a section where a the tunnel turns towards the west, which would indicate an intersection.

Also new construction on 8th and 9th ave is being zoned to allow for room for an underground platform. This is true with the new complex that will be coming up when Penny Lane is torn down.

However, the City Of Calgary has a current plan to renovate the current platforms downtown so I doubt anything will be happening soon.

Gonthro
03-30-2004, 01:29 PM
that high speed train to edmonton would rock... i like going there occasionally, but its just too much to drive for 3 hours each way... and no way i am paying for a plane ticket to go there and then a rental car once im there... i think it would be very beneficial to all 3 cities.

SI-vic
03-30-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by mo_virgin

I highly doubt that... i don't think our city planners were that good. There is a proposal that when we pay of our debt we can put the money we make (surplus) to a high speed train from Calgary to Edmonton... i think its a good idea. They say calgary to edmonton in 45 min.

that would be pretty cool.
but then again, the transit system sucks down in edmonton, so I'll have to bring my car to get arounda anyways....

I doubt Calgary will get subways anytime in the near future, the c-train above ground is good enough for now.

Gonthro
03-30-2004, 01:33 PM
i really think this city needs to do one of 2 things with the train, go up, or down....

subway or monorail type train... it would make espansion SO INCREDIBLY much easier... no need to clear land, just plunk up a post and you have an extention :D

RickDaTuner
03-30-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Have you ever been on the CTrain?

I dont think we need an underground system (except for maybe downtown). But we could really use $1B to bring the CTrain out to the West and SE areas in Calgary.

well yeah i dont disagree that we need to expand the C trains but a Subway is just over kill, beside we do fine with the 20 second intruption that it takes for a C train to pass an intersection many lights down town are in awsome syncronisation (sp) with the trains to make traffic flow faster.
but im sure with the remaove of about ground platforms there would be a revision of the trafiic light in the down town core

Horatio
03-30-2004, 04:00 PM
I thought the story on the downtown tunnels was that they were planned and digging was started but the people in charge decided that it was going to be too expensive afterall so they stopped digging and put the tracks above ground on the planned route?

Greg

civiclvr
04-01-2004, 12:48 PM
a subway would be awesome!! i hate riding the ctrain during rush hour to get to school. throw it underground (or above) and pump up the speed, throw a few more trains on the lines and expand the underground platforms!! i mean Calgary is growing and getting on the ctrain if u are the 3 or 4th stop from either end is a mess... imagine in 5 years.. over kill now but better for te future!! saves money in the long run... i mean what would a place like new york look like if the trains were above ground?? as for the downtown core... leave all the lights there for pedestrians to be able to cross.. other than that it would be a straighthrough!

rice_eater
04-01-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by civiclvr
a subway would be awesome!! i hate riding the ctrain during rush hour to get to school. throw it underground (or above) and pump up the speed, throw a few more trains on the lines and expand the underground platforms!! i mean Calgary is growing and getting on the ctrain if u are the 3 or 4th stop from either end is a mess... imagine in 5 years.. over kill now but better for te future!! saves money in the long run... i mean what would a place like new york look like if the trains were above ground?? as for the downtown core... leave all the lights there for pedestrians to be able to cross.. other than that it would be a straighthrough!

would you fork out more taxes to pay for this?

StupidWade
04-08-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Horatio
I thought the story on the downtown tunnels was that they were planned and digging was started but the people in charge decided that it was going to be too expensive afterall so they stopped digging and put the tracks above ground on the planned route?

Greg

There's a large unused underground station beneath the city hall, but I think that's as far as they ever took the underground idea.

Go to Urban Explorations Alberta (http://uea.ca/drains/drains.php?dname=Abandoned C-Train Line) for more info' (I could have sworn they used to have pictures, but I can't find them now.) There's also a lot of other cool stuff on that website. Old hospitals, tunnels, towers etc.

Redlyne_mr2
04-08-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by StupidWade

There's a large unused underground station beneath the city hall, but I think that's as far as they ever took the underground idea.

Go to Urban Explorations Alberta (http://uea.ca/drains/drains.php?dname=Abandoned C-Train Line) for more info' (I could have sworn they used to have pictures, but I can't find them now.) There's also a lot of other cool stuff on that website. Old hospitals, tunnels, towers etc.
Thats awesome I should move down there...Ninja Turtle style:thumbsup:

xkon
04-08-2004, 08:13 PM

very cool site

Gonthro
04-09-2004, 09:47 AM
http://www.barp.ca/bus/lrt/calgary/anderson.html :thumbsup:

thanks for that link, it just wasted half of my work day, very intresting stuff there.. and some not so intresting stuff... heh

i worked at the molson brewery a couple years back rippin the place apart (construction), i didn't think it was anything special, but these guys have a whole write up on it :P