PDA

View Full Version : Clear ice makers

speedog
11-10-2019, 10:05 AM
Well I just saw an ad on the television for LG's refrigerator that has a clear ice sphere maker built into it. It can only make three of these two inch clear ice spheres in 24 hours but they are what LG calls 'craft' ice.

So knowing that beyond is populated with ballers, wanna be ballers, pretend ballers and scotch purveyors, it would just seem natural that some beyond members have a clear craft ice maker, maybe even an old school Japanese manual clear ice sphere maker.

Spill the beans, folks. Fess up, do you have a clear 'craft' ice maker or better yet, one that makes perfect spheres?

Tik-Tok
11-10-2019, 10:47 AM
I've got a cheap one that doesn't make 100% clear ones, but pretty close. If I actually tried to make them clear, I probably could, but I just use tap water and enjoy the patterns the small bubbles make.

I think it's been discussed in the Scotch thread, so there's definitely a few of us that have them.

Darell_n
11-10-2019, 11:37 AM
I've got a cheap one that doesn't make 100% clear ones, but pretty close. If I actually tried to make them clear, I probably could, but I just use tap water and enjoy the patterns the small bubbles make.

I think it's been discussed in the Scotch thread, so there's definitely a few of us that have them.

Reverse Osmosis water would clear them up for you.

killramos
11-10-2019, 11:42 AM
I use my icebirg pro press to make Ice spheres. I make a bunch of cylindrical casts and keep them on hand and just run them through the press while I make a drink.

Getting clear ice with city water is near impossible.

Maxt
11-10-2019, 01:24 PM
Not sphere but you can make clear ice cubes with Calgary water with a properly setup recirculation style ice maker. Whirlpool use to make a decent under counter recirc machine with a hot wire cubing grid. A sediment filter helps, but the way the ice is made and freezing time contributes to the clarity. Ice eventually goes cloudy though if it sits in the bin too long.
Every bartender had an ice preference, we use to carry sample cubes around, not anymore, those days are gone the way the dealer network got cut up.88193

killramos
11-10-2019, 01:28 PM
Those are cool. Might have to look into one.

Eride
11-12-2019, 11:57 AM
I picked up a mold from https://www.wintersmiths.com last year. It makes four perfectly clear ice balls in 24h. Usually I make a batch for a week straight and freeze them in a ziplock for when I have friends over. Really great product although a bit pricy.