PDA

View Full Version : Alexa or Google Home?

eblend
11-13-2019, 06:36 PM
Hi Peeps,

Thinking into getting into this smarthome nonsense and just wanted to get your opinions and feedback on which way to go.

My main requirements are:
1. Have a device to which I can tell to play something off Spotify
2. Be able to utilize smart switches to tell the device to turn off kitchen lights or whatever
3. Be able to tell my robo vac to clean the house.
4. Best compatibility with whatever else I may get in the future.

Currently the smart switches I am looking for, and my Shark robovac support Google and Alexa, and I use Android for my phones if that matters, so trying to see which system is best to go with.

Thanks

Darell_n
11-13-2019, 06:41 PM
I have both and my Google home mini now sits in a box. The catalog from Alexa is much larger due to the extra years it’s been on the market. Also, a major contributing factor is my Amazon Prime subscription. I literally have zero free music streaming that will work with Google.

Something else I just remember is the Alexa Echo dot can control other Bluetooth devices whereas Google home mini can only connect as a Bluetooth speaker (receiving)

Kavy
11-13-2019, 09:44 PM
I started with google and ended up with Alexa. Way more support out of the box but a bit more of a Setup. I wouldn’t go back to google because my kids have a way easier time saying Alexa versus hey google.

Kijho
11-13-2019, 11:20 PM
Currently have 3 Google Mini's (Garage for music, bedroom for turning lights on / off / alarms without getting up/ and downstairs living space for lights / turning tv / music, etc.) Absolutely love them all.

cet
11-14-2019, 10:27 AM
I went the other way. Started with Alexa and am in the process of moving to Google. I use them for controlling lights, playing music and other miscellaneous things like setting timers and grocery lists. Google works better for some of the processes I use but I like that Alexa will notify me when a package gets delivered so I will probably keep one of them around.

pheoxs
11-14-2019, 10:28 AM
I think it comes down to what you want to do with it.

If your primary focus is music then Alexa wins hands down as there is a better variety of speaker options with much better sound and bass.

If your primary focus is any kind of home automation then Google home is much more powerful since it has more ways to customize things.