PDA

View Full Version : First Class windshield, wheel & tire, and PDR covereage for E63s

93VR6
11-17-2019, 01:45 PM
I'm signing paper Monday and I was wondering if anyone else that bought an E63s got the First Class windshield, wheel & tire, and PDR covereage?

They're saying 3700 for 5 years of coverage and a single windshield with HUD is 2500 (too bad you can only claim two.), along with the aluminium wheels being more susceptible to bending/cracking the proposition makes a lot of sense to me right now, what am I missing here..?

thanks!

killramos
11-17-2019, 02:53 PM
It’s like any dealership finance side insurance coverage, pure profit for the dealer and a giant ripoff for you.

Third party insurance for the windshield. Don’t hit potholes for your wheels. 3700 pays for a lot of PDR.

Just my $0.02.

On the other side if money is no object then it’s always convenient to just throw the keys at the dealer and tell them to fix it when something goes wrong and drive off in a courtesy car. Depends on what is important to you.

Zhariak
11-17-2019, 03:35 PM
Bumping back to life, I'm signing paper Monday and I was wondering if anyone else that bought an E63s got the First Class windshield, wheel & tire, and PDR covereage?

They're saying 3700 for 5 years of coverage and a single windshield with HUD is 2500 (too bad you can only claim two.), along with the aluminium wheels being more susceptible to bending/cracking the proposition makes a lot of sense to me right now, what am I missing here..?

thanks!

When I got my CLS, I got the windshield protection and some other stuff... The windshield protection paid itself off, but keep in mind I do a ton of KMs... For someone who's not going through the same amount of glass, it might not be worth it.

93VR6
11-17-2019, 04:23 PM
It’s like any dealership finance side insurance coverage, pure profit for the dealer and a giant ripoff for you.

Third party insurance for the windshield. Don’t hit potholes for your wheels. 3700 pays for a lot of PDR.

Just my $0.02.

On the other side if money is no object then it’s always convenient to just throw the keys at the dealer and tell them to fix it when something goes wrong and drive off in a courtesy car. Depends on what is important to you.

Convenience and ease is #1 I'd rather be doing anything than worrying about how do I get home from the dealer, arrange a rental. and get back when they're done.

When I got my CLS, I got the windshield protection and some other stuff... The windshield protection paid itself off, but keep in mind I do a ton of KMs... For someone who's not going through the same amount of glass, it might not be worth it.

I drive out to the mountains every 2-3 weeks so I imagine I would lose at least 1 over years.

Their entire policy is no questions asked too, tires looking a little low on tread, maybe happen across a nail. It's not the right thing to do but it is a thing you can do.

My body is telling me it's a cash grab but I can't find the numbers to support that.

370Z
11-17-2019, 04:27 PM
Damn, you've come a long way from that Sentra lol congrats, nice car!

killramos
11-17-2019, 04:53 PM
Convenience and ease is #1 I'd rather be doing anything than worrying about how do I get home from the dealer, arrange a rental. and get back when they're done.

As long as your eyes are wide open on what you are paying for then it’s not like you are being screwed. I can totally understand paying for convenience, and 740 bucks a year for a bunch of extra convenience could totally go around in my books.

s2k_boi
11-17-2019, 09:31 PM
I think it depends on what happens. I have that coverage on my C450 but only opted for 4 years. Had 2 windshields replaced, and 2 run flat tires replaced on the warranty. With that being said, I think mine was only $2500 in cost and I've recovered that already. Congrats on the new car.

Disoblige
11-17-2019, 11:48 PM
Is the windshield actually $2500 to replace?
Can you get a cheaper one elsewhere and just get MB to do whatever calibration?

killramos
11-18-2019, 08:44 AM

Yea a big chunk of why these are pure profit for the dealer is it doesn’t cost them anywhere near as much to fix things a it would cost the owner.

Could be easily done for half or less with non oem but oem quality glass.

spike98
11-18-2019, 08:55 AM

They certainly can and most glass shops can do the calibration as well. They did for my BMW. The cost was half of the dealer (Non-OEM glass) but had the HUD coating and the other crap that drives the price up.

rage2
11-18-2019, 10:46 AM
It's not. Maybe if you include labour or something? Here are the part #'s and retail price for the E63 Sedan with Intelligent Drive (Cameras) and HUD (coating) options:

A2136700601 - $1346.15
A2136708300 - $1735.36

The difference between the 2 is that the latter has the windshield heater. You can look up parts here:

https://www.mercedes-benz-shop.ca/en/genuinepartslandingpage

Pop in your VIN and you'll have the exact matching part based on your options.

dj_rice
11-18-2019, 11:51 AM
It's not. Maybe if you include labour or something? Here are the part #'s and retail price for the E63 Sedan with Intelligent Drive (Cameras) and HUD (coating) options:

A2136700601 - $1346.15
A2136708300 - $1735.36

The difference between the 2 is that the latter has the windshield heater. You can look up parts here:

https://www.mercedes-benz-shop.ca/en/genuinepartslandingpage

Pop in your VIN and you'll have the exact matching part based on your options.

Labour for windshields at MB dealer we charge $300.

Glue install kit + spacers and etc = $100-140

We call this warranty Safeguard, and Safeguard doesn't actually pay retail prices, they pay cost + 30% markup only. So the $2500 is most likely inflated retail pricing

Safeguard is only worth it if you actually take advantage of it. I've seen some customers come in every 2 months with a "flat tire due to nail" get replaced. Each tire replacement is $400-600+

cam_wmh
11-18-2019, 11:55 AM
There are thousands of sizes and designs out there. Mine are actually tiny and usually hang from the mirror. I pasted an example from google lol. I see them all the time especially on sport cars in Greece and Istanbul as well as Lebanon. Its a mediterranean culture - not religious at all.

Are you a Gypsy?

Disoblige
11-18-2019, 12:02 PM
Knowing the actual windshield prices, I think personally I would decline the $3700 protection and just get a windshield film applied (Clearplex or whatever is the go-to film these days).
Not worth it IMO even if PDR and tire/wheel warranty is included.

rage2
11-18-2019, 01:33 PM
Knowing the actual windshield prices, I think personally I would decline the $3700 protection and just get a windshield film applied (Clearplex or whatever is the go-to film these days).
I'm removing my windshield film. On both cars, the glue has broken down, and there's huge areas where it's impossible to see with our low sun angles.

Shadow stopped selling it.

Xtrema
11-18-2019, 05:07 PM
Won't glass coverage from your insurance be cheaper?

K3RMiTdot
11-18-2019, 05:28 PM

The windshield films aren't meant for DD use, they get pretty scratched up as mentioned by Rage and nearly impossible to see at times from sand, dust, rocks etc..

88CRX
11-18-2019, 05:55 PM
Won't glass coverage from your insurance be cheaper?

Ding, ding, ding!

Added glass coverage to our RDX (its a $1600 windshield through Acura) for $65/year with a $250 deductible. That also covers the pano sunroof. I can't imagine the Mercedes being much different in prices.

Adding windshield coverage through your insurance company will be way cheaper then the dealership plans.

Basically this:

ThePenIsMightier
11-18-2019, 06:44 PM
Are you a Gypsy?

You saw that quote was from 2017, right?

C4S
11-18-2019, 07:19 PM
What is PDR coverage ?

How about adding Xpel (similar) to the windshield ?

rage2
11-18-2019, 07:52 PM
The windshield films aren't meant for DD use, they get pretty scratched up as mentioned by Rage and nearly impossible to see at times from sand, dust, rocks etc..
It’s not scratches. It’s the adhesive breaking down from the wiper pressure. The film is smooth as silk still.

How about adding Xpel (similar) to the windshield ?
It’s a special film. Xpel won’t work on windshield as it’ll distort. It’s a special film but doesn’t work well. I’ll update with pics of my car in a bit.

FraserB
11-18-2019, 08:04 PM
Ding, ding, ding!

Added glass coverage to our RDX (its a $1600 windshield through Acura) for $65/year with a $250 deductible. That also covers the pano sunroof. I can't imagine the Mercedes being much different in prices.

Adding windshield coverage through your insurance company will be way cheaper then the dealership plans.

Basically this:

Who are you through? I was quoted $350 for 13D endorsement and that the endorsement wasn't needed for the sunroof coverage.

88CRX
11-18-2019, 11:35 PM
Who are you through? I was quoted $350 for 13D endorsement and that the endorsement wasn't needed for the sunroof coverage.

TD Meloch Monex

Disoblige
11-19-2019, 09:28 AM
Maybe I'm confusing something but do you mean the other way around? 13D endorsement means limited glass, no?

FraserB
11-19-2019, 09:34 AM
Maybe I'm confusing something but do you mean the other way around? 13D endorsement means limited glass, no?

You're right, I messed that up. 13D means everything but the front windshield is covered

rage2
11-19-2019, 09:46 AM
Here's pics of both cars with the film. All of the glue breakdown areas are in the wiper areas, so my guess is that the pressure from the wipers is killing it.

The second picture, the film is 2 years old. Will be interesting to see how smooth the glass is once it's removed. The film didn't pit like glass, but the bigger hits did tear the film. Minus the glue breakdown, it looks way clearer than just glass after 2 years.

mr2mike
11-19-2019, 09:48 AM
Convenience and ease is #1 I'd rather be doing anything than worrying about how do I get home from the dealer, arrange a rental. and get back when they're done. .
You are the perfect customer for the dealership.
Sign the papers.

DustanS
11-22-2019, 05:12 AM

K3RMiTdot
11-22-2019, 10:47 AM
Here's pics of both cars with the film. All of the glue breakdown areas are in the wiper areas, so my guess is that the pressure from the wipers is killing it.

The second picture, the film is 2 years old. Will be interesting to see how smooth the glass is once it's removed. The film didn't pit like glass, but the bigger hits did tear the film. Minus the glue breakdown, it looks way clearer than just glass after 2 years.

Windshield will be silky smooth, i bit the bullet and removed mine in the spring.

killramos
11-22-2019, 10:58 AM
My anecdotal evidence was I took 2 pock marks on my C63 windshield in 3 years. Filled for 30 bucks and unvisible unless you know you were looking for them.

Never scratched a rim.

Had some body scratch that wouldn’t have been covered by PDR but was covered by insurance.

The coverage is far from a slam dunk, and really depends on your safe case. I’d personally choose to spend the money on an extended warranty for the vehicle.

jwslam
11-22-2019, 11:10 AM
My anecdotal evidence was I took 2 pock marks on my C63 windshield in 3 years. Filled for 30 bucks and unvisible unless you know you were looking for them.
But you also only put 10,000km on it.

killramos
11-22-2019, 11:14 AM
12... lol

Just my point that this is NOT great coverage for everyone.

rage2
11-28-2019, 10:20 AM
Will be interesting to see how smooth the glass is once it's removed. The film didn't pit like glass, but the bigger hits did tear the film. Minus the glue breakdown, it looks way clearer than just glass after 2 years.

Windshield will be silky smooth, i bit the bullet and removed mine in the spring.

Removed it on 1 car this morning, holy crap it's like driving a new car haha. Virgin clean windshield.