PDA

View Full Version : advice with shop

subdermal
03-30-2004, 01:46 PM
asking for a co-worker, any help appreciated

This family bought a car at auction and took it to Auto Doctor to get an inspection done. During the inspection, the mechanic broke some wires (I'm guessing plug wires? she has no clue). He told the woman at the time that he was sorry, they were old and brittle but that he would cover the cost. Now he is demanding payment, for the wires and the replacement labor, and saying that if she does not pay he will lie on the inspection report and say that the car is not road worthy. Is there anything she can do about this? I have already suggested the Better Business Bureau, but am wondering if there are any other (legal) means of persuasion, some kind of licensed mechanics' governing body or something.

Thanks in advance.

QuasarCav
03-30-2004, 02:04 PM
that is definatly some shady shop, If there is nothing in writing it is a word vs. word case.

You should report him regardless of what happens in the end. posting it here is a good step seeing as alot of people see this and he will lose some business.

The problem is the lack of hard evidence, the cops/BBB are going to have their hands tied if there is no proof that he broke the wires or said he would replace them.

It's a rock and a hard place man!! don;t stop fighting, it will at least make you feel vindicated

BBMac
03-30-2004, 02:23 PM
if he hasn't already replaced the wires pay him for the inspection and take your business somewhere else. also if he has replaced the wires already and completely denies that he said he would cover the cost of the repairs then go to the police and find out what you can do and try to ding him on absolutely everything and also to help build your case with the police or BBB try to find other people that have had bad experiences with his shop to prove that this is a trend not a mishap. Another thing you might try because he is being a scum bag; do some research and find out the regulations for shops ie. how many fire extinguishers they have to have on the floor and all that kind of safety stuff and make an excuse to go into his shop and look around and if you find a bunch of things he could get fined for use it against him!! I hope you are victorious againt this ratty shit bass!

hendosa
03-30-2004, 10:10 PM
I would just pay him for the cost of the wires, not labour though, how long can it take to install a few lousy wires??? Sounds like an asshole anyways, report him regardless of what happens:thumbsup:

subdermal
03-31-2004, 11:02 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys. The owner of the car is trying to get some help from AMVIC, and I have passed all this along to her as well.